You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DemonGod3

To skip Izumo or not skip

27 comments in this topic

[-VT-]
Members
781 posts
9,461 battles

Hello all, as title says, I am getting into a position where I can free xp past the Izumo to the Yamato.  I have seen opinions going either way, just wanted to see if I could get more feedback on the subject.  

Edited by DemonGod3

Supertester
4,201 posts
4,643 battles

From most accounts, Izumo trains you for the yamato. So don't skip it, save free xp at least to un-stock it.

[-KIA-]
Wiki Lead, Volunteer Moderator, Beta Testers, Clan Supertest Coordinator, Privateers, SuperTest Coordinator
6,518 posts
8,485 battles

I would, but that's just me.

Members
50 posts
3,534 battles

I'd just buy the premium camo. That way, you still learn the high tier meta, but it is half as long of a grind. (The camo gives X2 xp)

I'm halfway through my Izumo grind right now, and I'm really glad I dropped the 4000 doubloons on the camo, honestly.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,537 posts
12,810 battles

I can't bring myself to free exp past ships I don't like anymore.  I did it with karhlsruhe and furutaka, and it was a mistake.  What I enjoy most in this game is unlocking the ships.  T10 game play, from what I have seen is bloody terrible.  Why miss out on something I enjoy (earning my ships) to get something in my port I will likely never play?  That's just me personally, but I wouldn't skip it even if it sucks.

[-BN-]
[-BN-]
Members
310 posts
12,285 battles

I really don't understand why people think the Izumo is a bad BB, I liked her, she is fast, her guns are great and her armor is good (don't expect a Yamato level, but still fine). What I find about her is that she is extremely durable, I could be in a heavy focus fire by cruisers and battleships and survive. She has the fastest shells from all BBs, aiming with her is really easy, her rate of fire with the module is amazing and don't lose a lot of turret travers... and the secondaries, oh God, they are so strong, before manual secondaries I had 20k secondarie damage. 

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
22,366 battles

The stock grind isn't bad now that her stock guns fire actual AP shells and not bricks.  As others have said already and I am very adamant about, Izumo teaches you how to play the Yamato.  Her turrets are much more fragile (so you are forced to learn how to present the thickest-possible turret armor to enemy shells), she has even worse concealment and no rear turret so she has to be decisive about moving up, and with less HP than the Yamato she has a much harder time absorbing HE spam.  That being said, her guns have fast muzzle velocity, decent dispersion, and were all but made for MBM3 which makes her as if not more rewarding than the Yamato for properly playing support.

[APOC]
Members
1,979 posts
6,423 battles

From most accounts, Izumo trains you for the yamato. So don't skip it, save free xp at least to un-stock it.

I do and don't agree with this. When you think about the ships before Izumo there is nothing that plays like a bow fighting ship. But the Izumo is still different and only gives you the experience of front angling and not using timings on when to broadside. Also it just doesn't "feel" like the Yamato if that makes any sense. If you have experience with the NC, Iowa, and Montana then you could go right through it as an experience issue.

I personally bought the camo and played it for a while. The ship is decent but not great. The Yamato on the other hand is something from a BB wet dream. So it really comes down to whether or not you want to use that much free XP or buy it.

Edited by GG_Bootcamp

Members
1,947 posts
8,913 battles

Don't skip, I loved the Izumo its a weird ship but its a lot of fun esp with a secondary build.

[-ARP-]
Supertester
11,964 posts
6,273 battles

I'm just not a fan of how derpy the Pagoda looks on it, regardless of how well it performs

(and I have way too much convertible free XP and expendable income)

Beta Testers
2,420 posts
1,809 battles

Don't skip it. The ship isn't great, but learning how to make the ship work helps you learn the game better.

It's a weird ship. You want to keep your nose pointed at the enemy at all times. And, as many have said, playing the ship prepares you for the Yamato.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,054 posts
8,260 battles

I skipped her to elite her by spending real $ and getting my Yamato, from all the talks/videos and added all the info up, shes just godawful and crap.

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

It's a hard ship to get down, especially if you're in tier 10 games. But, I'd stick with it for a while at least, and if you can make a ship that's at a disadvantage work, then you'll be a better player for it.

[-VT-]
Members
781 posts
9,461 battles

Sounds like I will be getting the Izumo, fully upgraded of course.  Been watching a lot of videos and such to get an idea of how to play it.  Any suggestions for module upgrades?

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
22,366 battles

I skipped her to elite her by spending real $ and getting my Yamato, from all the talks/videos and added all the info up, shes just godawful and crap.

Riiiiight.  Clearly she's not good for anything.  Yeah RNG shafted me at a moment where I really could have done without it, but that happens with every battleship.

Edited by TenguBlade

Members
1,529 posts
11,629 battles

Not a fan of the Izumo, if I had to do it all over again, I would of skipped it. However, I do feel that part of my problem with her is that I primarily play DD's and CA's so the BB mentality is not in me; I lack patience and I play aggressively. Also, I specced the Izumo for full AA, which in retrospect, may have been a mistake.

[-VT-]
Members
781 posts
9,461 battles

Only played her one game, but already doing better with her then I am in my new Hindi....

Members
1,194 posts
5,362 battles

eh I'd skip. True the Izumo does teach a few tricks that can be useful for the Yamato, but its still a painful grind. I skipped and I didn't regret it...

[REVY]
Members
8,381 posts
6,118 battles

It would be cheaper I think, to just buy Battlestations Pacific on Steam and just sail the Yamato there.

[RWBY]
Members
23 posts
11,092 battles

I am on about 100 battles in my Izumo, seriously thought about fee xping through her. Really happy I did not, I did free xp the B hull, but since then just been playing her through. 

Awesome guns with great accuracy and damage, deadly secondaries, OK AA, good armour if angled.....everyone says it who has played her and they are right.

She eats Iowas, and anything below, just go HE for DDs and Yammy's. She finds cruisers especially yummy.

She does like to burn, not warspite bad but bad none the less, she maneuvers OK.

My suggestion is to keep and play her, you will get some awesome games out of her too.

[TULIP]
Members
952 posts
12,669 battles

There are so many potatoes Yamato players that would likely be much better had they spent time learning first. I free XP upgrades most of the time. Unless you are already good on a Montana, I would hope no one jump Izumo because it prepares you for yamato. If I was some great Fubuki player and believed the Kagero was bad, I may skip because the Shima is just a better Fubuki - but the Amagi is nothing like Yamato and T7 is no way prep for T10.

I jumped portions of ships and got to Zao too quick (my first CA line), T10 battles are a hard place to learn and derping costs a ton.

I'm 1/3 through Izumo and love everything about it anyway except the bad detection range which can only be corrected with concealment expert which I'd rather not take (currently testing). I will miss it when I replace it with an Iowa.

[SPTR]
Members
20,155 posts
6,159 battles

To skip, or not to skip, that is the question.

And I can't answer it.

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

I actually wound up skipping the Izumo because of the Yam sale, and I'm glad I did. I was having a hard time getting the Izumo to work right for me. Don't know if the shells were too fast or what, as I was used to the North Carolina at the time, but my accuracy was abysmal, despite those accurate guns. Yamato, on the other hand, works wonderfully. I know I said earlier that I didn't want to skip it, but 4 million credits is quite the discount. 

Members
1,529 posts
11,629 battles

Fully upgraded my Izumo, got the 3k doubloon camo, got all excited and expected to love it, cause it looks so cool. Then reality sank in, 40 odd games later, sold the pos, and moved onto the Yamato, got all excited and expected to love it, cause it looks even cooler..............................what a difference, now THATS a good BB!