You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review - USS Arizona

178 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,532 posts
26,277 battles
j1RRqlL.gif
  • Cool 36

[-K-]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,513 posts
28,268 battles

Nice review.  I'd post my thoughts but I'm still under NDA (I think - still new to this!).  I'll post my thoughts when the ship goes on sale.

Edited by Lord_Zath

[SVF]
Members
2,897 posts
2,776 battles

LWM, you have a typo regarding the extended range for Arizona in the Artillery discussion section- it reads 18.3 km rather than the correct 18.6 km given near the end of the review.

[SALVO]
Members
27,926 posts
40,369 battles

Lert, what a wuss for not including the Warspite out of fear!  :child:

Come on, man up and add the Warspite to this review!!! :izmena:

:hiding:

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

Great review. Also, if none of you will make the comparison to the Warspite, I will.

Warspite has shorter range.

Warspite can't take broadside shots like New Mexico/Arizona can.

Warspite has fewer guns.

Warspite has a worse Damage Control Party, with only 5 seconds of immunity compared to 20.

Warspite has less AA than New Mexico, better AA than Arizona.

Warspite has worse turret traverse.

Warspite has better secondaries.

Warspite has bigger guns.

Warspite has equal to or better dispersion.

Warspite has better HP Regen.

Warspite has less HP than Arizona.

Warspite has better speed.

Warspite has better maneuverability.

Edited by 1Sherman
  • Cool 1

[MAUS]
Members
13,626 posts

LWM, you have a typo regarding the extended range for Arizona in the Artillery discussion section- it reads 18.3 km rather than the correct 18.6 km given near the end of the review.

Thanks.  Got it. :)

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,532 posts
26,277 battles

Lert, what a wuss for not including the Warspite out of fear!  :child:

I left out Warspite because of formatting / post length reasons. LWM has redone the format for her reviews to keep them more readable and likes to keep them to around a certain wordcount. Me comparing three ships already takes up a lot of room, and adding a fourth would've just made it even longer. Add to that that this is still LWM's article and I'm just a guest author, and there's why I didn't include Warspite, despite one sitting in my port and thus readily available.

The quick and dirty though is that Warspite tanks with her healing potions and smacks hard with accurate 15" rifles and nasty secondaries. Arizona tanks with her armor and puts out reliable volumes of 14" fire instead. Warspite has a better AA suite and turns better, Arizona has the higher damage output potential vs lower tiers and Warspite vs higher tiers. TBH I consider them fairly equal, and would not hesitate to take either into a pub match.

Members
5,165 posts
60 battles

Great review. Also, if none of you will make the comparison to the Warspite, I will.

Warspite has shorter range.

Warspite can't take broadside shots like New Mexico/Arizona can.

Warspite has fewer guns.

Warspite has a worse Damage Control Party, with only 5 seconds of immunity compared to 20.

Warspite has less AA than New Mexico, better AA than Arizona.

Warspite has worse turret traverse.

Warspite has better secondaries.

Warspite has bigger guns.

Warspite has equal to or better dispersion.

Warspite has better HP Regen.

Warspite has less HP than Arizona.

Warspite is in WWI-era configuration, yes?

Members
184 posts
4,030 battles

Excellent ship review as always Mouse! +1

+1 for Lert as well for providing information and assisting with the review!

Edited by Globemaster1998

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,532 posts
26,277 battles

Warspite is in WWI-era configuration, yes?

No. In game she carries her mid-30's refit with the 'apartment building' superstructure.

M6PYVwN.jpg

Warspite as built.

1faclg.jpg

HMS Warspite post her 1937 refit

• Cool 1

Members
5,165 posts
60 battles

No. In game she carries her mid-30's refit with the 'apartment building' superstructure.

M6PYVwN.jpg

Warspite as built.

1faclg.jpg

HMS Warspite post her 1937 refit

How about the 15-in main guns characteristics? I recall their Mark I were significantly improved before WWII. If not upgraded yet, then this could be the reason Warspite placed on Tier VI.
Edited by Xero_Snake

[SALTY]
Members
8,929 posts
17,830 battles

Awesome review as always.  Great work from the both of you.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,532 posts
26,277 battles

How about the 15-in main guns characteristics? I recall their Mark I were significantly improved before WWII.

Maybe in ammunition and fire control used. The guns / mounts / turrets remained the same during the refit, AFAIK. Not that they needed much upgrading, the 15" Mk I was an excellent weapon, so much so they even put some on the 1944 HMS Vanguard as primary armament.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
894 posts
3,949 battles

Outfitting your Arizona

Recommended Modules

The Arizona is a pretty standard outfit.

• For your first slot, I would recommend grabbing Main Armaments Modification 1.  This increases the survivability of your guns -- and if you plan on tanking with your face, they'll take a lot of hits, so this will help keep them in game. 
  • For your second slot, it's again a no-brainer in my opinion.  Grab Artillery Plotting Room Modification 1.  This will boost her range from 16.0km to 18.6km which is already very nice.  Her decent accuracy will make those Hail-Mary shots a lot of fun.  The nice side effect of this mod is that it will also boost your Secondaries up to a range of 4.4km.
  • For your third option, I take Damage Control System Modification 1 -- mostly because all of these options are downright terrible for Battleships.
  • And for your fourth option, you have a choice.  I would strongly recommend Damage Control System Modification 2 to reduce the amount of time a fire burns (and save yourself 1544 damage per full burn).  You can expect more than a little HE thrown your way when battleships start bouncing AP.  Otherwise, you can grab the ol' reliable Steering Gears Modification 2 to drop your rudder shift time from 14.6s to 11.7s.

For the second slot I mostly agree but have the question of could you also not consider Secondary Battery Modification 2 for the range and dispersion of the secondaries? Reason I thought maybe that would be it sounds like you want to close a bit with the Arizona and that could help with those closer in fights and slightly more defense from those DDs that try to get a little to close.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,433 posts
29,065 battles

Thanks LWM and Lert for another great review! I wish I could be thrilled with WG's decision to bring the Arizona into the game but I can't. To those who want her, congratulations.

[-BWS]
Beta Testers
1,896 posts
12,804 battles

Thanks LittleWhiteMouse and Lert

excellent work on this

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,812 battles

Stands to reason:

It was mag'd by a 16" Battleship AP round with fins strapped on.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
3,985 posts
2,373 battles

Outstanding review as always, +1 to both of you.

Your conclusions seem to line up pretty well with what I was expecting based on Arizona's stats alone, but I'm extremely relieved to hear her guns have a decent sigma value.  Another guaranteed buy.

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,325 posts
10,907 battles

Short and sweet - Mouse loves Warspite. I also love Warspite. Mouse likes Arizona. Sounds like good buy.:D

Warspite-like sigma value and accuracy, Warspite-like main gun range without APR1 (means AA and secondary builds a viable option), more boomsticks than Warspite (cause more dakka always better), better armor than New Mexico....

Plans to throw wallet at screen on July 4th.

• Funny 1