You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Turbotush

Im moving up! Rank 1 or bust!

26 comments in this topic

[TWFT]
Members
1,767 posts
46,005 battles

Welp, got out of the 12-8 Rank level and finally hit 6.2 again.  Got kicked back down to 7.0 but have fought back to 7.3 and am on the way up!

So after my disastrous start (see previous post) I have been able to learn a lot on what needs to be done to win.  I don't think its to late, but my fight is going to be up hill and a grind of epic proportions.  Cant wait to get to R5, I think the players there have it a little more together then the ones that are bellow that Rank but I could be wrong.

It's nice to see more players Ranking out and populating the R5 and up. 

Don't give up my brother Captains!!  If a crapper like me can get to were I have gotten, then even a simi-competent Captain will get even higher!

:izmena:

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
1,745 posts
Wow Congrats on your rank. You have a lot more patience than i have. I didn't like the wait times for ranked. So have stopped for now. Best of luck to you . Go and get that Jolly Roger. :honoring:

Members
802 posts
2,757 battles

...Cant wait to get to R5, I think the players there have it a little more together then the ones that are bellow that Rank but I could be wrong.

It's nice to see more players Ranking out and populating the R5 and up. 

Don't give up my brother Captains!!  If a crapper like me can get to were I have gotten, then even a simi-competent Captain will get even higher!

You are, in fact, incorrect.

For some reason that I can not wrap my head around, there are people at and above rank 5 that are about as useful as a board.  It takes ONE screwup player to shaft the whole team at those levels because the players are good, and once the advantage is set, it's hard to fight back.  One guy randomly sailing into the sunset, or one guy rushing in against the plan and blowing themselves up.

Above Rank 5 is a super slog with 15 minute wait times for a queue only to be handed a loss in the first 2 minutes because of reasons above.  Had 8 losses yesterday, 1 win and was top earner three times... so tally that up to negative progress across HOURS of play.

I appreciate your enthusiasm as I had it when I was at 7 and 6 on my way to 5 thinking I would enter the motherland.......... I was wrong.

I truly hope your experience is different, but with only a couple hundred people above rank 5 and only a handful of them on any given weeknight.......... it'll take the rest of the season to get to 1.

just my opinion.

Edit: Also, I've seen you in game a few times.  Hello on the forums.

Edited by MadCaptain_2016

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,306 battles

I appreciate your enthusiasm as I had it when I was at 7 and 6 on my way to 5 thinking I would enter the motherland.......... I was wrong

Question, once at Rank 5, can you get thrown back to Rank 6?

Members
802 posts
2,757 battles

Question, once at Rank 5, can you get thrown back to Rank 6?

Absolutely.

Every... Single... Day.

In fact, this is one of the issues with the ridiculous slow slog that will be rank 5 to 1.  Every star that someone earns on their way to 1 has to come from someone above rank 5.  When you take stars from people that are in that small pool, you risk pushing them back down into 6, and then your pool of stars and players is smaller.  You need more players into rank 5 or above to provide "fodder" for those that are superior players to reach rank 1.  Right now, you can be anywhere (2, 3, 4, or 5) and lose a star to someone who may be out of rank 5 in another couple matches... so you are effectively bleeding stars from the 5-2 pool.  Part of why rank 12-6 is somewhat easier is because there's a TON (TON!) of players that will continue to play at rank 12 and will feed their stars to people above.  The same is not true in the rank 5 and above pool.

Edited by MadCaptain_2016

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,205 posts

From what the rankings show... isn't it a free fall either way once you hit TEN ? 

Members
802 posts
2,757 battles

From what the rankings show... isn't it a free fall either way once you hit TEN ? 

I'm pretty sure rank 12 is the last stoppage lock.  So yes, in theory one could fall from rank 2.5 to 12.  The odds of that are slim, but it's possible.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,749 posts
15,667 battles

Absolutely.

Every... Single... Day.

In fact, this is one of the issues with the ridiculous slow slog that will be rank 5 to 1.  Every star that someone earns on their way to 1 has to come from someone above rank 5.  When you take stars from people that are in that small pool, you risk pushing them back down into 6, and then your pool of stars and players is smaller.  You need more players into rank 5 or above to provide "fodder" for those that are superior players to reach rank 1.  Right now, you can be anywhere (2, 3, 4, or 5) and lose a star to someone who may be out of rank 5 in another couple matches... so you are effectively bleeding stars from the 5-2 pool.  Part of why rank 12-6 is somewhat easier is because there's a TON (TON!) of players that will continue to play at rank 12 and will feed their stars to people above.  The same is not true in the rank 5 and above pool.

This is one of the biggest reasons why getting rid of the bonus star when ranking up was a bad idea. It just kills the 5-2 population.

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,833 posts

Last Rank 5 Game i played.....  

Enemy Colorado Went full Kill on a Friendly Molotov yelling at him for bringing at T6... needless to say...  Colorado Died from reflect damage, Molotov was at 12k hp.. and game was over within first 2 min for them...

So yea.. Rank 5.. does not get better... Should have left it rank 10-1.. to at least have people to play with.

[BOSS]
Beta Testers
2,762 posts
16,845 battles

I did well my first 6 games in rank 5 ... Got to four on a run of good teams.  Yesterday was not good and I stopped playing due to my own lack of skills and that of my teams.  I'd agree the q times are a problem and I've even been playing at peak times.

Good luck, Tush... Hope to see you in the 5 pool again soon!

Members
802 posts
2,757 battles

I did well my first 6 games in rank 5 ... Got to four on a run of good teams.  Yesterday was not good and I stopped playing due to my own lack of skills and that of my teams.  I'd agree the q times are a problem and I've even been playing at peak times.

Good luck, Tush... Hope to see you in the 5 pool again soon!

Had a similar experience.  Went from 5.0 to 4.0 in a streak of wins Sunday night, then have been battling it out ever since and ended up at 5.2 by the end of last night.

Of the only ~175 people in the 5-2 pool, maybe 30-40 of them are on any given night, so you have to wait for a game to end before there's enough players to start the next one.  

This equates to 15 minute queue times and a cycle of seeing the same players on opposite teams just trading stars, making little to no progress.

[TWFT]
Members
1,767 posts
46,005 battles

You are, in fact, incorrect.

For some reason that I can not wrap my head around, there are people at and above rank 5 that are about as useful as a board.  It takes ONE screwup player to shaft the whole team at those levels because the players are good, and once the advantage is set, it's hard to fight back.  One guy randomly sailing into the sunset, or one guy rushing in against the plan and blowing themselves up.

Above Rank 5 is a super slog with 15 minute wait times for a queue only to be handed a loss in the first 2 minutes because of reasons above.  Had 8 losses yesterday, 1 win and was top earner three times... so tally that up to negative progress across HOURS of play.

I appreciate your enthusiasm as I had it when I was at 7 and 6 on my way to 5 thinking I would enter the motherland.......... I was wrong.

I truly hope your experience is different, but with only a couple hundred people above rank 5 and only a handful of them on any given weeknight.......... it'll take the rest of the season to get to 1.

just my opinion.

Edit: Also, I've seen you in game a few times.  Hello on the forums.

I made it to 5.2 but got kicked way down.  You are right o a point now, but in the early days of this season the players that got to R5 and above (and held) seemed to have a better grasp of the tactics and strategy being used this season.  I unfortunately was not one of them and you can say that I was one of the players that did the most derp to my teams.  I plead  that I was naive and was not on the same page as my fellow captains (I was using the previous season tactics of fast capping and not covering the BB).  I am hoping that the ones that have made it to R5 now will be at least a little more competent to a degree then the ones bellow it, I could be wrong, but I will find out when I do get there.

Seen you on the honored field of battle to!  You are a very good player!   :honoring:

Members
802 posts
2,757 battles

I made it to 5.2 but got kicked way down.  You are right o a point now, but in the early days of this season the players that got to R5 and above (and held) seemed to have a better grasp of the tactics and strategy being used this season.  I unfortunately was not one of them and you can say that I was one of the players that did the most derp to my teams.  I plead  that I was naive and was not on the same page as my fellow captains (I was using the previous season tactics of fast capping and not covering the BB).  I am hoping that the ones that have made it to R5 now will be at least a little more competent to a degree then the ones bellow it, I could be wrong, but I will find out when I do get there.

Seen you on the honored field of battle to!  You are a very good player!   :honoring:

In NA, there are roughly 25 people that have made rank 1.

I talked with one of them on another thread and he said they got there essentially by having all the (few) players that were rank 5-2 in Team Speak and just jumping around into respective groups as the teams were set, so they were able to highly coordinate and communicate their efforts.  

It won't be like that again.

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,306 battles

Absolutely.

Every... Single... Day.

I'd prefer a system where there are periodic points of no return.

15, 10, 5, 1.

Members
1,726 posts
15,031 battles

Plenty of time left turbo. Just need one of those random WG sponsered luckdrop streaks to kick in and you'll pick up 6-10 stars on a day.

Members
802 posts
2,757 battles

Plenty of time left turbo. Just need one of those random WG sponsered luckdrop streaks to kick in and you'll pick up 6-10 stars on a day.

Absolutely.  I definitely don't want to discourage you.  Just hoping to get you mentally prepared.  I've never been more frustrated with teammates than I have in Ranked above rank 5.

Hope to see you out there soon.

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,306 battles

really wish rank 10 and 5 were irrevocable.

Just having one at Rank 5 would be enough honestly, would also help with the queue times.

Members
712 posts
5,239 battles

Any posts about tips for this rank season? Such as best ships to use? I am planning on using blyskawica myself for dds. As for other types I would think that Nagato for bbs (maybe warspite), Myoko for cruisers (maybe Schors), and mahan, sims, blyskawica, and kiev for dds (maybe hatsu so far I find that enemy hatsu are slightly disadvantaged with gun duels).

Beta Testers
2,440 posts
8,653 battles

I'm actually alright with the last irrevocable at 12 and no bonus stars (with one exception). It does make it more challenging and making rank 1 is and will be an achievement to be proud of rather than a function of number of battles you can throw at it.

However, with how tight the population is at rank 5+, I think one bonus star should've been given for rank 5. When I hit rank 5 for the first time I proceeded to lose, get booted to 6.4 and sometimes drop to 6.3 before charging back in. Happened 4 times which was pretty draining as it places more pressure on just trying to make it back in. The 10-6 derps are usually trapped up by 10, so if someone is going to fail at rank 5, it'll likely be child's play to the derp that can occur at the lower ranks.

I haven't had a large slide yet *knock on wood* so all I was looking for were a couple of stars to hopefully cement myself in the bracket. I've now made it to rank 4.

The meta was a bit of a shock, especially for my Blys play. I kept getting Fault Line and New Dawn which in these ranks is all about smoking the BBs up so they can shoot from stealth. DDs randomly torp across the mid for random hits (my side was usually the one losing that gamble). US DD smoke duration came into play in a big way for these fights. I'm really not a fan of Fault Line at this point.

I've seen most teams stay together by their caps and leaning on BBs to win the game, but I have seen a couple higher ranked players do some interesting flanking things. It seems like a high risk play as they could be out of the fight for a long while or overextend and get picked off. I've seen Aloop try this stuff in his Myoko and Moot in his Blys yesterday.

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,306 battles

Myoko for cruisers

The Atlanta seems to have a bizarrely good habit with the Ranked given the low number of BBs and high number of DDs.

Seeing as all a DD can do when an Altanta is within 6-7km of them is poo themselves before getting kaploded.

Members
712 posts
5,239 battles

The Atlanta seems to have a bizarrely good habit with the Ranked given the low number of BBs and high number of DDs.

Seeing as all a DD can do when an Altanta is within 6-7km of them is poo themselves before getting kaploded.

Lol yep that moment where you think ".......well so much for that star" . I have actually taken one out in ranked with my blyskawica. Couldn't dodge all the torps.

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,306 battles

Lol yep that moment where you think ".......well so much for that star" . I have actually taken one out in ranked with my blyskawica. Couldn't dodge all the torps.

I think I've killed one of those in about 8 seconds before.

Members
802 posts
2,757 battles

I'm actually alright with the last irrevocable at 12 and no bonus stars (with one exception). It does make it more challenging and making rank 1 is and will be an achievement to be proud of rather than a function of number of battles you can throw at it.

However, with how tight the population is at rank 5+, I think one bonus star should've been given for rank 5. When I hit rank 5 for the first time I proceeded to lose, get booted to 6.4 and sometimes drop to 6.3 before charging back in. Happened 4 times which was pretty draining as it places more pressure on just trying to make it back in. The 10-6 derps are usually trapped up by 10, so if someone is going to fail at rank 5, it'll likely be child's play to the derp that can occur at the lower ranks.

I haven't had a large slide yet *knock on wood* so all I was looking for were a couple of stars to hopefully cement myself in the bracket. I've now made it to rank 4.

The meta was a bit of a shock, especially for my Blys play. I kept getting Fault Line and New Dawn which in these ranks is all about smoking the BBs up so they can shoot from stealth. DDs randomly torp across the mid for random hits (my side was usually the one losing that gamble). US DD smoke duration came into play in a big way for these fights. I'm really not a fan of Fault Line at this point.

I've seen most teams stay together by their caps and leaning on BBs to win the game, but I have seen a couple higher ranked players do some interesting flanking things. It seems like a high risk play as they could be out of the fight for a long while or overextend and get picked off. I've seen Aloop try this stuff in his Myoko and Moot in his Blys yesterday. 

I was really surprised at the change in meta between 12-6 and 5-1. Less than 5 and I was highly effective in my Mahan. I was top of a losing team atleast 25% of the time and was able to have a win rate exceeding 65%. However, now that I've been reduced to a BB smoker and a random torp launcher, I'm NEVER the top. Aggressiveness does not pay out frequently enough for it to be an effective play style, so I end up circling around waiting to take advantage of an enemy DD that has made a mistake while avoiding long range CA and BB fire. If there's a CV in play, forget it. 

Its just not exciting, thrilling, or fun. It relies on BB sniping and occasioanlly the CA or DD that has exceptional play, as you mentioned. I've also seen Aloop and others go out in spectacular fashion by trying to make a game changing play. It's just not rewarding.