You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
pmgaudio

sitting on 250K Free XP IS so dam tempting....What to do...

38 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Members
9,915 posts
18,231 battles

so I have been struggling with what temptations are haunting me...
I have always been of the mindset (and learned it mostly from reading here) that Freexp a MODULE, never a whole ship...
So....
I have 8k to get the Kagero, and will def do that tonight (been grinding the Fubuki more than usual)
about 60K to get the Roon,. 40k to get to the Chappy (I really want the Moskva almost as much as the Zao)

speaking of which 110K to get the Zao,,,,, 
and about 120k for the DE....

As far as BBs go, I ahve been very bad and not played them as much as I used to, back when I LOVED the NM and Fuso....(still play them in ranked a bit) and the Nagato...
I have a CO and Amagi, and feel horrible about not grinding them for months....

I LOVED the Yamato AND Montana on the last PTS as well, so it is not that I don't want them...
I guess maybe the BB style of slow and low got me bored a bit. I will get to them, but I guess lately the faster pace of the DDs and somewhat faster than BB pace Cruiser play got me more into the game...

I need to get back to them and get moving I know...
SO my dilemma... do I just keep grinding the Ibuki and get to what I want slower>?
DO I just forget the hipper grind and move to one of my favorites when I PTS played it two test servers ago?
I don't want to drag things out too long, and also don't want this wall of text to disway readers from advice, but I am a bit getting frustrated with some of the tier 8 and 9 play, again, so I have moved a bit lower more than up.... but the Fubuki and Ibuki and Hipper, I really like playing and have been doing much better... the Amagi?
Well she treats me well more than not... and the CO is just not doing it for me right now....
The Schores.... meh.... Baltimore..... MEH!!

Oh yeah, my Trashcan.... Need 67k for the next one, and then the KARB.,... which, on the PTS was my #! fav DD to play...
So given all this info (some useless some not) You see where I am mostly... so..
If YOU had 253K Free XP, what would YOU DO>??>?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,732 posts
26,569 battles

Wait for the german BB's.

• Cool 7

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,535 posts
29,681 battles

Wait for the British invasion! I've got about half that amount and am gonna sit on it for the Brits.

But if it is "burning a hole in your pocket" stay small and go for the Khabarovsk...

• Cool 1

[-BWS]
Beta Testers
1,896 posts
13,903 battles

I was once faced with this issue, so I built it up to almost 500,000 and then bought something, now I have 268,000 and am building again.

Build and bank more.

[KVLT]
[KVLT]
Members
2,307 posts
9,146 battles

continue what youre already doing. also as lert said wait for a new tree youre interested in as well. You could also grind the ships you like but free xp past the one you hate.

Eventually youll play a ship you just cant stand and will be able to free xp past it.

Im guessing alot would recommend free xping the izumo, L.

[5D5]
Members
1,664 posts
10,933 battles

If you have been following that highly entertaining thread on how OP and Dev biased the Russian cruisers are ..... Then, MOSKVA, MOSKVA!!

[ZAZEN]
Alpha Tester
404 posts
8,964 battles

I would say take slower if the following conditions apply for you..

1) you do not have enough credits to get the next ship anyway, or even if you do have enough for the ship ..

2) you do not have enough credits for the new modules or upgrades (running at several millions!!)

3) you do not have enough gold dubloons to convert your commander- and need to run several missions within premium ships before you enter the higher tier at a disadvantage

4) you do not have a premium account to gain back credits to buy some premium consumables or camo since you just spent to upgrade this and other ships you will be researching soon

for me it works to wait till the next discount/line sale/on track event - I have lots of other ships I can finish grinding and upgrading in the meanwhile

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

Don't even use it on KM BBs, save for those awful stock grinds, that's what I've learned do to with free exp, between 11,000 battles on WoT and 1,200 on WoWs.

Members
1,716 posts
8,224 battles

Sitting on a little over 2 mil free xp, with another 500k to be converted if needed, so yeah, I know its tempting to spend it on something, just be a tight wad like myself and wait, suppose to be better things to come, eventually.

[ANZ4C]
Alpha Tester
325 posts
9,480 battles

I have enough free exp to unlock two Tier X ships from scratch, just waiting on a doubloon bonus weekend (where 1 dub = 35 exp not 25). Jumping straight to Tier X is not advised unless you have a decently high level captain (capable of getting the T4 captain skills plus a few extra T1's, at least)  and have some experience in that style of play. Would love to hold for the RN tree in September (ish) but I maxed the German cruisers first and want a different type of Tier X as my second.

[RLGN]
Members
19,160 posts
35,195 battles

Wait for the german BB's.

Personally not an issue with me, but Lert's advice agrees with my initial reaction. (See below.)

Don't even use it on KM BBs, save for those awful stock grinds, that's what I've learned do to with free exp, between 11,000 battles on WoT and 1,200 on WoWs.

This is the most common advice I've seen given to players asking what to do with fxp; use it to get past some of the terrible 'stock' hulls on various ships.

One example is USS New Mexico; the stock hull is not as bad as some other ships, but the fully upgraded ship is just that much better.

If you're low on funds, (credits, line-specific xp and fxp,) then you may just have to deal with the grind; but if you feel spending fxp is worth it, then using it to skip some hull option that's driving you batty is a worthwhile option.

LET ME MAKE SOMETHING PERFECTLY CLEAR THOUGH...

Skipping through different hulls can, in some individual cases, mean you are not practicing with a ship class as much, and as a consequence are not learning the skills and gaining the experience you would by doing so.

I believe the skipping I've done is one of the reasons I'm so colossally bad at some of the things other player's seem to make look so easy. This may not be so for every player; but I believe it was in my case, and likely would be so for others as well.

As a kind of proof; my earlier ships; (St Louis, South Carolina, Wickes,) ships I played to death to allow me to skip, I'm actually not too bad at using...

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Beta Testers
1,362 posts
4,392 battles

wait until game develops more. when clans come about. then if a ship is popular u can acquire it immediately.

Members
1,726 posts
15,031 battles

Skip ships or parts of ships you hate? No sense skipping ship lines you like. I'm sitting on ~200k myself. I might save up a bit more and just skip the Taiho, since I don't have enough captains to keep the Shokaku(which I have to), the Taiho, and the Hak, and I already have an Essex I love. And as I'm not seeing the draw of the Midway loadouts, so keeping the Essex at 9 and the Hak at 10 seems like my best bet.

So yea, if I was you I'd skip over ships I couldn't stand playing, or skip over a ship you have no way of being able to keep due to captain constraints.

Beta Testers
2,589 posts
8,799 battles

I have almost 600k saved up. So tempting to blow through to Moskva... 

But with German BBs so close, I shall wait and fidget. I NEED an UltraTirpitz aka H41!

Edited by Show_Me_Your_Cits

[WOLF2]
Members
471 posts
12,629 battles

Ultimately it's up to you. I agree with the sentiment about using free XP  for modules, but have admittedly broken it more than once.

The Yamato is worth using free xp to get past Izumo, but it takes a lot.

[PSA]
Members
5,118 posts
3,754 battles

My current approach is this: If this is a ship line you want to level and learn, then spend the free XP only on modules. Fact of the matter is that for many ships, *especially* battleships, their stock modules are baaaaaaaaaaad. For example, playing the USN line, I remember New Mexico, Colorado, and North Carolina all having stock hulls that just slightly less painful than a root canal without anaesthetic. On the other hand, spending doubloons to free XP past a ship entirely, notably at high tiers, gets expensive fast. With premium ships, premium accounts, and the free XP and credit purchase system, Wargaming has created a veritable gold mine of customers with credit card debt ;)

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,144 posts
22,136 battles

continue what youre already doing. also as lert said wait for a new tree youre interested in as well. You could also grind the ships you like but free xp past the one you hate.

Eventually youll play a ship you just cant stand and will be able to free xp past it.

Im guessing alot would recommend free xping the izumo, L.

I had about 250K free XP when I finally levelled up to Izumo...I was banking it for this purpose.  Bought the C hull and a few of the inexpensive upgrades.  After I earn enough ship XP in this config I'll burn the remaining free XP to research Yamato in the next day or two.  The only other ship I accelerated to research the next ship was the pre-buff Colorado.  After Yamato I'll start banking again and plan to use it to research modules if I come across a dreadful stock ship.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,144 posts
22,136 battles

Have to say, the Anshan has been a great friend of mine; this was a great purchase...fun little Free XP generator!

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

I have few million convertible xp, but meh,  no real need or desire for T10 so far.    just got udaloi and almost done upgrading it.    its fun, but not much more than kiev.   need 60k more xp for DE, so  that will help though.     khabab may be my first t10, but not for a while.     it is more of a cruiser though.          not sure what I want to get next .     probably german line as well.   

I seem to be settling into a few ships taht play all the time now.  and they tend to be mostly premium now too.