You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
scruffycavetroll

WoWs got me back into a childhood hobby.

30 comments in this topic

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,522 battles

This game, combined with my dad getting back into his Vietnam Navy service got me back into an old hobby of mine. 

Modeling. 

No, not on a runway, i'm too sexy for that, but the molded plastic kind.

Oh those were the days. Opening a model box, getting things ready, the glue sniffing. those were the days.

For fathers day, I got my dad a small model of the USS Lawrence DDG-4, the boat he was on in vietnam. that started to spin up the wheels of interest & nostalgia. I jumped head first into it buying a 1/350th (almost 24" long i think) scale Tirpitz! Things have also come a long way since the 80's / 90's, although I wasn't a hardcore modeler I don't recall seeing things like metal etched detail parts, wooden decks, etc back in the day. 

I got the bug now, before I start the Tirp, as I want to do a good job on that, I'll probably find a small 1/700 cruiser or destoryer to practice with. I really want to get a 1/350 yamato too. 

The coolest thing though is that you can actually motorize the 1/350 boats and turn them into RC boats. really neat. 

So, in a way, thanks WG for getting my back into a childhood hobby.

If anyone is interested, when I get the tirpitz model, I'll post pics of the parts & progress, although I'm probably not going to start for a little while as I have to buy a lot of the supplies. 

• Cool 4

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,129 battles

I look forward to seeing your progress on the Tirpitz.  Used to model ships as a kid myself many moons ago, so I kind of miss it too.  But with two dogs running around the house at all times, I don't think any model setup would be safe to leave as a work in progress with them running around.

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

I've wanted to do this for a long time, but with all my other hobbies, I don't really have the cash to get into another. Maybe someday.

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,325 posts
10,907 battles

I've still got a large scale Tamiya model kit of the Yamato, the 1/350 I believe, that I've never gotten around to building - and that's pretty sad on my part, considering my parents got it for me for Christmas back in 1975!!!!:ohmy: Life and other things have just conspired to keep me from ever getting around to building it.

Couple years ago, went by a hobby shop to check out the models they had these days, just out of passing interest of maybe getting into model building again. When I saw the prices on them nowadays, "sticker shock" doesn't even begin to describe it....

Members
4,335 posts
10,761 battles

For myself it was instant Jutland I played as a teen. always with the guy who had the biggest empty floor space to lay out counters for all the ships of the epic engagement in the North Sea, and played with measured movement and range finding.

Those were the days!

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,522 battles

I've still got a large scale Tamiya model kit of the Yamato, the 1/350 I believe, that I've never gotten around to building - and that's pretty sad on my part, considering my parents got it for me for Christmas back in 1975!!!!:ohmy: Life and other things have just conspired to keep me from ever getting around to building it.

Couple years ago, went by a hobby shop to check out the models they had these days, just out of passing interest of maybe getting into model building again. When I saw the prices on them nowadays, "sticker shock" doesn't even begin to describe it....

I got the Tamiya one too. I'd like to buy the Yamato next, just to have it, but that one is like $100.

For fathers day I found a really really nice model of his boat. It was carved wood and the guy was looking for like $1500. This was the kind of show-piece you'd see in a museum. really high quality stuff. If money wasn't an issue, I would've gotten that.

I don't think the market is what it was, and not really sure if companies like Revell & Snap-Tite are churning them out like they used to as the sites I bought these from all seem to have really old packaging like from the 70's & 80's

I was actually thinking of talking with my boss about starting up a modeling company and make 2 versions of each item...one would be pre-assembled & painted ready to display, the other would be a project, put it together & paint it. I was thinking of maybe resin.

I'm out of practice, so probably won't start the tirpitz until I get one or two smaller models under my belt. I've seen some youtube videos of people making them and there are nice ones...I watched a Yamato video, and that guy did a phenomenal job  right down to rust stains. I don't think I'd get that crazy as I don't have that kind of artistic eye. 

Edited by scruffycavetroll

[KTAS]
Alpha Tester
560 posts
2,147 battles

I used to build models as a child as well.

Have to admit looking, longingly into hobby shop windows lately and dreaming about starting again.

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

Lol I caught the modeling bug from my dad, working on the Memphis Belle right now(revell).

I've build the Tamiya Tirpitz, it was a great model.

Shipwise, I've built the Missouri, Arizona, Fletcher, and the Tirpitz.

I really wanna build a Littorio class BB or Zara class CA, but finding them isn't easy.

[RLGN]
Members
19,125 posts
35,151 battles

Considering how may games of Jadpazer! WWII miniatures I played back in the 80's and 90's, it perhaps surprising how little I like WoT...

My interest in ships and the associated battles was less dynamic; books, several games, various movies; but seems to have had a more lasting impact.

Does anyone out there remember the old 'Battlewagon!' pocket game? Or Avalon Hill's 'Midway!' or 'East Wind Rain?'

Somewhere in the boxed detritus of my childhood is one of the old Tamiya waterline models of the Yamato...

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[APOC]
[APOC]
Members
1,980 posts
7,114 battles

For me as a kid it was all about Micro Machines. Literally had Armies, Navies, and Air Forces. Never knew anyone into models. I was a Pog champ too! Go 90's.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,676 battles

Things have also come a long way since the 80's / 90's, although I wasn't a hardcore modeler I don't recall seeing things like metal etched detail parts, wooden decks, etc back in the day.

I was big into modeling in the mid-80's.  The etched parts were definitely available back then, but there were only a couple of companies doing it, and they were expensive.  Since the equipment to make them is cheaper now, I think the availability is better.  Not sure about the quality tho.

I've still got a large scale Tamiya model kit of the Yamato, the 1/350 I believe, that I've never gotten around to building - and that's pretty sad on my part, considering my parents got it for me for Christmas back in 1975!!!!

I can definitely relate.  I have a large moving box, about 2'x2'x4' or so that is full of unbuilt kits, including a few 1/400 scale Heller kits that to my knowledge are unavailable anymore.  I know I have Richelieu and KGV from that line.  I built the Strasbourg - it was a *really* nice kit.  I think they ran about $40-$50 apiece back in 1983-84, probably because importing was a bigger deal then than it is now.

I don't think the market is what it was, and not really sure if companies like Revell & Snap-Tite are churning them out like they used to as the sites I bought these from all seem to have really old packaging like from the 70's & 80's. 

Revell/Monogram and the like still produce their kits.  I see them in places like Hobby Lobby or Michael's.  Specialized hobby stores might have a few but they prefer the pricier kits (with higher profit margins) and no one else bothers stocking kits anymore.

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,129 battles

Lol I caught the modeling bug from my dad, working on the Memphis Belle right now(revell).

I've build the Tamiya Tirpitz, it was a great model.

Shipwise, I've built the Missouri, Arizona, Fletcher, and the Tirpitz.

I really wanna build a Littorio class BB or Zara class CA, but finding them isn't easy.

There are a few available on eBay if you're willing to pay for shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xlittorio+model+ship.TRS0&_nkw=littorio+model+ship&_sacat=0

[CLOVR]
Beta Testers
3,667 posts
1,637 battles

9fobwx.jpg

15wnyuq.jpg

2rxhfnd.jpg

Me too! I did not want to start a post myself. First is a Panzer III I just finished for practice (I play tanks too). First model I have completed in about 33 years. I am struggling learning how to airbrush, weather, etc.

Tirpitz under progress is the Revell of Germany 1/350. Big. I am playing with colors a little, did my best on the deck, and struggled mightily with the hull painting, waterline, etc. So much work to do. I have other kits just a waiting.... is a 1/350 Warspite kit that looks nice..... Ya, these games have reignited a lot of interest for me, read all the time when I was a kid.

• Cool 1

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

9fobwx.jpg

15wnyuq.jpg

2rxhfnd.jpg

Me too! I did not want to start a post myself. First is a Panzer III I just finished for practice (I play tanks too). First model I have completed in about 33 years. I am struggling learning how to airbrush, weather, etc.

Ooh, I SO want to dirty up that PzIII.

I haven't built models in years, but used to do it a lot, and was big on making things look "used", (when I did a car, I scuffed the tire treads with an emery board :) ) and was always experimenting with different washes and brush techniques (manual, I didn't have an airbrush)

We're house hunting right now, and if we get a place with either a spare room or garage I can set up with supplies, I think I'll try to get back into it.

Edited by Skpstr

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,676 battles

I've got a few (3 ships built, 3 more on the way) models (not just ships though) too. I'll dig up pictures sometime.

I have a few that I need to spend some time repairing.  Time and moving have not been kind to my fleet over the years.  I really liked the 1/700 Hasegawa waterline kits.  I did one of ... Kirishima I think it was, where I took a Dremel and cut out the windows on the superstructure, then went back and used small pieces of melted sprue to make the window mullions.

[-K-]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,522 posts
28,454 battles

I have several models in the basement waiting to be built.  I'd build them but...  too addicted to wows!

[CLOVR]
Beta Testers
3,667 posts
1,637 battles

Skpstr,

best thing about doing em now is I have patience...... amazing the difference between an 11 year old kid and a 44 year old......

For tanks, Dragon is amazing(have a Panzer II going). Tamiya seems good (Panzer III is Tamiya).

The Revell of Germany Tirpitz kit seems top notch. I have an Eduard photo etch kit for it as well (this is really hard for my big hands..... never used the stuff before). Megahobby and Amazon you can pretty much get whatever you need, any kit you need.

Bismarck, Hood, Rodney, Arizona.... can get them in 1/200 scale from megahobby site..... Man I would like to tackle one of those. Would need the real wooden deck kit and photo etch stuff..... 1/350 kits you have a huge selection, many of them are ships currently in game.

Edited by teamoldmill

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

Skpstr,

best thing about doing em now is I have patience...... amazing the difference between an 11 year old kid and a 44 year old......

For tanks, Dragon is amazing(have a Panzer II going). Tamiya seems good (Panzer III is Tamiya).

The Revell of Germany Tirpitz kit seems top notch. I have an Eduard photo etch kit for it as well (this is really hard for my big hands..... never used the stuff before). Megahobby and Amazon you can pretty much get whatever you need, any kit you need.

Bismarck, Hood, Rodney, Arizona.... can get them in 1/200 scale from megahobby site..... Man I would like to tackle one of those. Would need the real wooden deck kit and photo etch stuff..... 1/350 kits you have a huge selection, many of them are ships currently in game.

Heh, I hear you about the patience thing. (I'm 45) And I have more money now, since before it was something I used to kill time when the winter construction layoffs hit. And yeah, I can order stuff online instead of just buying whatever the local Woolco had. :) Although they did tend to have a decent selection of Tamiya armor kits (mostly modern stuff in the 80's, I was big into NATO vs. Pact warfare back then)

I do need a good space for sure, the kitchen table doesn't cut it when you have a coonhound/beagle cross and a 2-year old. (not sure which is more inquisitive/destructive lol)

Edited by Skpstr

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,522 battles

Skpstr,

That's the other thing, it's been over 21 years since I've done one. Back then it was get the thing put together, put the decals on, maybe paint a little here and there without really knowing what I was doing. then play with it, then hang it in my room. I didn't put that much attention to detail into them, so they may have had gaps, a lot of glue stringiness...basically looking like they were done by a kid : ).

I wanted to find a Montana, but can't find that anywhere. 

Now though, I'd really like this tirpitz to be legit and look nice. I'm still deciding if I want to motorize it. 

Here is the Yamato video I watched...really nice job:

Members
380 posts
9,963 battles

I'm a big Lego fan so the game has me interested in some ships built in Lego form. I may possibly MOC one up down the road!

Alpha Tester
17,510 posts

I'm a big Lego fan so the game has me interested in some ships built in Lego form. I may possibly MOC one up down the road!

check the current contests - and get started today

[-DZ-]
Members
178 posts
14,777 battles

For myself it was instant Jutland I played as a teen. always with the guy who had the biggest empty floor space to lay out counters for all the ships of the epic engagement in the North Sea, and played with measured movement and range finding.

Those were the days!

I love Jutland. I still have it in my closet next to War at Sea, Midway, Victory in the Pacific, FlatTop, and a dozen other Avalon Hill games I refuse to part with.

[-DZ-]
Members
178 posts
14,777 battles

This game, combined with my dad getting back into his Vietnam Navy service got me back into an old hobby of mine. 

Modeling. 

No, not on a runway, i'm too sexy for that, but the molded plastic kind.

Oh those were the days. Opening a model box, getting things ready, the glue sniffing. those were the days.

For fathers day, I got my dad a small model of the USS Lawrence DDG-4, the boat he was on in vietnam. that started to spin up the wheels of interest & nostalgia. I jumped head first into it buying a 1/350th (almost 24" long i think) scale Tirpitz! Things have also come a long way since the 80's / 90's, although I wasn't a hardcore modeler I don't recall seeing things like metal etched detail parts, wooden decks, etc back in the day. 

I got the bug now, before I start the Tirp, as I want to do a good job on that, I'll probably find a small 1/700 cruiser or destoryer to practice with. I really want to get a 1/350 yamato too. 

The coolest thing though is that you can actually motorize the 1/350 boats and turn them into RC boats. really neat. 

So, in a way, thanks WG for getting my back into a childhood hobby.

If anyone is interested, when I get the tirpitz model, I'll post pics of the parts & progress, although I'm probably not going to start for a little while as I have to buy a lot of the supplies. 

Nice timing on this post. My 1/700 Fletcher and Enterprise are arriving today. The Kongo is on its way. 

I made the mistake of looking up "1/700 waterline" on Amazon and filled up my wish list.

[TSF_1]
Beta Testers
447 posts
19,570 battles

There are a few groups around the country that build & battle 144th scale R/C warships. These ships have fiberglass hulls, with large windows that are covered with plastic film. The guns are co2 powered & fire BBs. The battles are timed & each team tries to sink the enemy ships by punching holes through the film over the windows in the hulls. Each ship class has a defined number of guns and pump capacity. When the number of holes exceeds the pump capacity, the ship starts to sink. At the end of the match time, the floating ships are returned to port & the sunken ones retrieved.

The winning team is determined by the number of holes & sunken ships.

The water is drained, the batteries & co2 tanks are recharged,  the holes recovered with film, & the next battle is ready to start within 2 hours.

I was considering getting into this fairly expensive hobby in 1999, when on one of their sites, I found a reference to Navy Field & I was hooked on-line Naval Warfare gaming.