You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Commander_LuXun

Which T6 cruiser would you recommend?

66 comments in this topic

Members
2,201 posts
5,012 battles

Cleveland? Budyonny? Aoba? Nurnberg? Molotov? (When I  have money)

I like to get in closer and brawl. So far I average 28.1k in the Furious Taco (C Hull) with a ship kill ratio of 0.84. KD is 1.1. I average 27.3k in the Omaha (C Hull) with a ship kill ratio of 0.91 and a KD of 1.2. Which T6 cruiser would you recommend? Is T6 gameplay significantly more passive than T3-5 gameplay? 

[TIKI_]
Beta Testers
504 posts
6,457 battles

It's a bit different in that you move away from WWI era ships.  To keep the fast turret rotation and rapid re-load that you're already accustomed to, i would recommend the Budyonny.  

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

It depends, if you like pew pew ships and spamming HE at stuff the Cleveland and Buddy are both well suited to it with the Cleveland handicapped at range and the Buddy more suited to long range. The Aoba and Molotov have less ROF so you have to make your shots count and play more carefully changing ammo for the situation and stuff. 

You didnt really go into detail about your experience so far or what you like it ships so I would hesitate to recommend something. All the tier 6 CAs are pretty decent but you will find that you will have tougher competition and mistakes are punished harder. I personally liked all of the tier 6 CAs especially the Molotov but its not for everyone since it has trouble turning and is thin skinned. 

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,191 posts
12,721 battles

It's a bit different in that you move away from WWI era ships.  To keep the fast turret rotation and rapid re-load that you're already accustomed to, i would recommend the Budyonny.

Personally I love my Budyonny though I do not consider her a brawler type .

Look at this replay from today ( my best in her so far ) to help you decide .

http://wowreplays.co...nderman-Trident

Members
726 posts
1,805 battles

When you have the money, def go for Molotov. I had a game the other day where it felt like I was playing like a potatoe (making all kinds of rookie mistakes) but when it got to the end score, turned out I'd done 80,000+ dmg and was top player. Definitely worth the money.

• Cool 1

Members
2,201 posts
5,012 battles

The Taco has helped me get the hang of 203mm guns. I deal damage with it that I rarely dish out in the Omaha p and Kuma etc. It holds my current record for damage, which sits at 104k. I can show you guys some screenshots. I never expected I would be able to do decently or well in a CA but with the release of the Taco's C Hull I have proven myself wrong. It can mitigate damage from 14-inch shells significantly when angled. It's also surprisingly agile for a CA, agility is at CL level. Japanese HE, I am definitely a fan of it but I know that the Budyonny and the Cleveland have a reputation as fire spammers too.

[PSV]
Privateers
5,523 posts
6,129 battles

All tier 6's will drastically change your playstyle from tier 3-5 matches. Nurnberg is the easiest to be citadeled of the tier 6s — Cleveland has horrendously slow shell speeds, but good armor & AA — Budyonny is squishy but has very good shell speeds — Aoba has only 3x2 203mm, so you have to rely on using mainly your 2 front turrets only.

Members
2,201 posts
5,012 battles

My experience with Tier 5s:

Omaha / Murmansk-Gun spammer, shell arc is OK but not the best as with the other USN cruisers. I run the Omaha's C Hull so I get the longer ranged torps but there are only 3 of them so I feel that they often aren't enough to make an impact. Fire chance on BBs is OK but much lower compared to IJN 203mm. Fragile. I have yet to grasp the 'saber dance' as referred to by centarina.

Furutaka-Reload is not great, has less range than Omaha C but the larger caliber guns deal more damage and have flatter arcs. HE is much better for setting fires than the Omaha. AP deals lots of damage to cruisers when they are citadeled. I've gotten 19.7k with AP on a Marblehead at 7km, 15871 on a Murmansk at 9 or 10km. I score damage in this thing that I rarely dish out in the Omaha. In the Omaha a 35k game would be average for me, in this thing I hope to get at least 45 or 50k every battle.65k+games are not uncommon for me, even 75k+ in a good match. Bow on it can deflect 14-inch BB shells or mitigate damage. Torpedoes deal decent damage although can be a bit risky to fire them due to having to expose broadside, but they can be used offensively unlike in the Omaha. It turns like a CL. Currently holds my damage record of 104k, and I am by no means a good player (WTR 1,067).

My Stats:

51% WR

27,028 average damage

KD 1.19

WTR 1,067

1,013 battles

Omaha Stats vs. Furutaka Stats:

Omaha-

27,306 average damage

KD 1.2

Ship kill 0.91

WTR 1,005

Furutaka-

28,101 average damage

KD 1.1

Ship kill 0.84

WTR 1,275

Both are C Hull.

Edited by Zionas

[-KIA-]
Senior Volunteer Moderator, Beta Testers, Supertester, Privateers, Senior Volunteer Moderator
6,550 posts
8,491 battles

Budyonny.

Members
2,201 posts
5,012 battles

What I like:

1. Good fire chance

2. Decent turning radius and rudder shift

3. Decent concealment

4. Offensive torps would be a bonus

5. Can fight without having to significantly expose broadside

6. Deflects shells decently

7. Brawler

Members
2,046 posts
2,264 battles

Nurnberg. Every other german cruiser outside konigsberg felt like hell- konigsberg didn't feel good but wasn't bad, but Nurnberg absolutely demolished everything that wasn't a BB as long as I pointed my guns well.

Aoba's cits are massive and it's guns don't feel great imo.

I can't speak to the other ones since I haven't used them.

And just in case- If you're ever planning to go past tier 6 in whichever line you pick, I find myoko feels MUCH better than yorck- but hipper will likely feel better than Mogami does (don't have hipper yet but it looks amazing).

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles

they all play a little differently.

Budy is more of a sniper, slow to turn but very good shell speed and RoF. glass cannon. can get close, but don't be expecting to turn and run. (more like turn and die)

Molotov is basically a Kirov with better guns, same slow RoF, and the AA consumable. definitely a sniper, can get cit'd from the front.

Nurn is also better at range, but can afford to get closer due to very good turn radius and rudder shift. 2 turrets at the rear (better at running). great RoF, but again, glass cannon.

Aoba is more of a ninja. can get in and out with decent conceal, decent turn, 10km torps, but can only fire them when retreating. not enough RoF to brawl, better at hit and run.

Cleveland has great armor (for a cruiser), good RoF, good turn (both rudder and radius), and decent turret traverse. downside is the shell speed and lack of any last ditch torps.

based on what you like:

1: all except Nurn

2: Cleve, Nurn, Aoba

3: Aoba

4: Nurn is closest, but only 6km range. Aoba has to turn around to use her 10km torps.

5: all except Nurn

6: Cleve, Budy, maybe Aoba at some angles from some ships

7: none, really. get too close in a cruiser at tier 6, you'll be sent back to the port early. some are better at close range than others, but none of them are actual brawlers.

Members
2,201 posts
5,012 battles

Hmm lots of factors to consider. How would you rate my overall performance as a player and my performance ship wise? You can check my WT page. What I can say about my experience with CAs so far is that the Furutaka can brawl, but when taking on a BB it needs support unless it's torps hit. I am learning to survive better, as you can see my survival rates are low. In the Furutaka I'm not afraid to be fairly aggressive when in a good situation. Sometimes I stay a bit further back but I just have the itch to move in ASAP.

So far I have gotten 2 Confederates in the Taco. My record for most number of ships destroyed is 6, in the Omaha. In one of those battles I scored 90k in damage. The other, 85k but can't recall exactly. I hope T6 is still very melee based.

Edited by Zionas

Members
2,207 posts
5,424 battles

-snip-

How would you rate my overall performance as a player and my performance ship wise?

i wouldn't. rating someone based on stats is for elitists.

i would, however, say that your stats show that you're steadily improving. and the only advice i can possibly offer based on your stats alone, would be to branch out and try the other ship classes. they play very differently, true. but if nothing else, knowing how to play other classes will give you better insight when fighting them in your favorite cruisers, if you so choose to stay a dedicated cruiser player.

also, don't worry about your stats. use them as a guide to see when you are improving or slipping, but don't worry about where you "rate".

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles

Yeah, don't worry too much about stats, but they do make a good reference for yourself.

I recommend Aoba, mainly because when she needs to she can be very aggressive. Her turrets turn decently fast, 2/3 of her firepower is up front, and she had the best RoF for 203mm guns in the game. Her range is also adequate.

Overall the IJN line gives you a very smooth transition. Furutaka introduces you to 203, but you have the offensive torps. Aoba trains your gunnery, but forces you to pull back your aggression. And finally Myoko gives you excellent gunnery, in exchange for dying if you go broadside and very slow turret rotation.

I don't recommend the USN line. Cleve is fun but teaches very bad habits for a first tier 6 cruiser.

Neither do I recommend Nurn. Unless you're supremely comfortable with sitting back and dodging.

Can't comment on the Russian line, but I only hear good things about it.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Molotov OP.

but it's aft armor seems to get lolpenned by 203mm, so you're best off not getting chased by anything.

Members
2,201 posts
5,012 battles

Kenjister I am surprised that you are the first one to recommend the Aoba. Right now I think for me it comes down to IJN vs VMF. Cleveland, what do you mean by it teaches bad habits?

IJN is quite good to me. I think I may end up doing better in the ships of eastern nations than Western nations, but then I've yet to try the UK, France and Italy. German HE is terrible. American arcs are poor, and they have no torpedoes.

Edited by Zionas

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Molotov is by far and away the strongest T6 cruiser, so it's an easy recommendation, although I must add the fine print that optimally using the ship isn't necessarily easy.

Failing that, Aoba is a very safe choice with a comfortable balance of firepower and armor.

Budyonny is a good pick as well, though she isn't particularly durable under fire - much like the rest of VMF CLs. If you like Budyonny then I'm confused as to why not ditch her for Molotov that does almost everything better.

Members
21 posts
3,011 battles

If youre comfortable with the furious taco, especially with the new C Hull, then Aoba is a very intuitive upgrade, with faster turrets(?), and better ROF in exchange for a much smaller torpedo arc. . . I loved my Aoba and kept her all the way to Ibuki

Cleveland is very love or hate, I know some people that absolutely love it, and some that think its the worst thing ever, I liked it, small relatively agile cruiser with rapid firing 6-inchers and insane AA for tier, but on the down side shell velocity and arc is not ideal and can be a pain at longer range, and its also the first USN to lose torps forever. . .

Molotov, thats a very niche ship, accurate guns with good velocity and arc taken from the Dmitri Donskoi, the range is good and a spotter plane helps boost it, the ROF is slightly better than Kirov, and she's fast. . . but the armor is paper thin, so its built as a sniper, not a brawler, so id pass on that for your play style

of the ships i have experience with I say Aoba is your winner, but Cleveland would probably be better if you plan on getting into knife fights with DDs, Aoba can do it but Cleveland does it better

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Molotov is by far and away the strongest T6 cruiser, so it's an easy recommendation, although I must add the fine print that optimally using the ship isn't necessarily easy.

Failing that, Aoba is a very safe choice with a comfortable balance of firepower and armor.

Budyonny is a good pick as well, though she isn't particularly durable under fire - much like the rest of VMF CLs. If you like Budyonny then I'm confused as to why not ditch her for Molotov that does almost everything better.

basically what I finally did, after finishing grinding through Buddy.

Buddy is a good ship, but I like bigger guns with good RoF.

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

I'm all in favor of Molotov, can't say enough good things about it now that I have mastered it. Its HE is awesome (16% fire chance one you get DE), it is faster than some DDs, and its AP wrecks other cruisers and hurts BBs bad. The 12 second reload is easy to live with -- fire, watch shells land, oh! new shells up. It has a 15.6 km range with a spotter that adds 3 kms, meaning you can torment BBs and even other cruisers from well beyond their range. She annihilates DDs with that excellent HE. Once you figure out its playstyle -- the opposite of brawling, Molotov puts the hurt on from a distance, because she has no armor -- you'll wreck in her. Because her dispersion is so good, you can put 6-8 shells on a BB from over 14 kms, no problem. She's specially good in Ranked where she gets a lot of 1 v 1 situations in which she can excel. In Ranked with Molotov I have a 71% win rate and 52K average damage.

Really, Molotov and Budyonny are the two best, though Furutaka might at last be catching up...

Edited by Taichunger