You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Canadian_Reaper

So how do you hit stuff in this game?

13 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
349 posts
6,277 battles

Reposting from the World of Tanks forum, where I decided to post this for some reason... got some amusing answers, but hoping for a bit more.. and now that I've triple checked these are the WoWS forums..

I admit I need far more experience but.. is there a good "lesson plan" or something for learning to hit moving targets?

Time and time again, I line up a shot in my Kirov, Molotov, or Fubuki, fire, and watch the shells miss at anything more than 12km it seems as the target either slows down/speeds up, or changes course slightly.

Meanwhile I watch enemy BB's that are 17Km away, fire at me, I slow down/speed up and change course and manage (if I'm lucky)  dodge one shell- getting hit with 5 instead of 6. (Yes this is a bit of an exaggeration ..but only a bit..)

Now either every single player I fight against that shoots at me is using some sort of aim mod, or I need to learn to shoot better- I've read the basics, (lead by this amount etc etc) but is there anything special to focus on to get it more quickly? Or is it just practice, practice ,practice..

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,732 posts
26,569 battles

Mostly it's practice.

• Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
5,460 posts
12,104 battles

You can't do better than this.

Members
1,719 posts
4,106 battles

Once you have played for long enough you get a feel for shooting and what an enemy ship will do, patience young grasshopper.

Members
2,046 posts
2,264 battles

Hitting people is about getting gud getting a feel for it (it's not rocket science, it's gut feeling. If you try to calculate it using tick marks instead of just going with the feel you're never going to do as well). But more than that it's about prediction. You're not shooting at where they are. You're not shooting at where they are traveling. You are shooting at where they are going to be. This includes course changes. Key things to keep in mind when guessing are other enemies near them, environment they have to avoid or will use for cover, and just whether or not they're a typical "hurr durr" straight line person or not.

As for DODGING people- this one is about being unpredictable. Less is more. If you're making hard turns- you're doing it wrong. The softer you turn, the less you adjust- the more the guy shooting at you is gonna get angry. When you make a hard turn you're stuck in that hard turn for a bit and there is FOR SURE a certain point you HAVE to end up at for a short time (that's where YOU aim at when you see someone doing it, or where they aim when they're hitting you). If you slow too much you're going to have a bad time while you accelerate again unless you're a DD or have the module for it. A good speed to go while making slight turns is 1/4 just while turning- then the second you make that adjustment you go back to full speed (this is just my personal preference and what seems to work the best for me). Turning cuts speed more than slowing yourself does- keep that in mind and use it. If you're being hammered use that and turn away. Do not try to fight- and once you're fully pointed away hit top throttle, book it, wiggle your [edited], and pray. Don't pay attention to where you're going unless there is complex environment or enemies. Pay attention to the rounds flying at you from above and behind and make SMALL movements to dodge the BULK of them. It's not about dodging unless RNGesus loves you- it's about minimizing the damage you will take.

Edited by Stratego89

Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles

Don't fall into the trap of thinking others are using aim mods. As Lert said, it's practice. If you try to dodge and are still getting hit, consider the following:

1). You were completely broadside, and couldn't turn away fast enough. Fixed by moving diagonally towards and away from enemies that are aimed in your direction. Never go perpendicular.

2). You're predictable. Do you always turn away from enemy fire? Are you in a position where your only viable option is to turn away? The enemy can use that against you.

3). You're too close to the enemy for the ship you're in. Some ships are better at turning than others. Some ships have larger citadels than others. Russian ships are very easy to citadel - especially Molotov and Kirov so any shell that does hit from a BB is likely to be a cit.

As for shooting:

Practice. Know that ships have different ballistic properties. IJN 127s have nice flat arcs, but relatively high drag, so firing further out requires more less than you expect and the shells also come in at a worse angle. Heavier shells generally don't suffer this as notably, with BB AP having a very consistent amount of added time/additional km.

If you're getting close misses, I recommend hitting the Z key after you fire to get a better look at how your shells come in. You might be surprised at what you find.

Alpha Tester
4,156 posts
8,061 battles

A lot of it is experience and being able to predict how someone will react when being shot at and where their ship will be when they dodge.  Some of my favorite targets are people in hard 180* turns because they follow a very predictable curve that's easy to follow.

Members
44 posts
11,575 battles

Also, if your in the Molotov and you wait for a BB's muzzleflash to turn its already too late. Molotov turns like a Yamato

[PSV]
Privateers
5,523 posts
6,129 battles

Hitting is the easy part. Dodging is the hard part. I find shooting in the VMF cruisers to be extremely easy. If you have shooting problems in them, then I recommend not taking the USN cruiser or IJN BB lines until you get better

Supertest Coordinator
7,223 posts
14,440 battles

Don't be afraid to second-guess yourself. Against targets such as DDs or highly maneuverable cruisers, I will fire a splay of rounds along a predicted track, to get maximum coverage.

Members
381 posts
5,656 battles

Also, if your in the Molotov and you wait for a BB's muzzleflash to turn its already too late. Molotov turns like a Yamato

When you start being told your using an aimbot you know your doing it right.... 

Judge speed...watch the smoke form the stacks. DD's need more lead than CL's, BB's usually less...but remember the IJN Battlecruisers like Kongo are very fast and need lead like a CL. 

Playing ships also gives an insight to their weakness and strengths. You drive a Molo, Kirov and Fubaki...what kind of attacks worked well against you...use that knowledge when you face them.

Example......A Cleveland has limited range...and at 14-15km can often be dodged  with its mile high arcs (Very skilled drivers account for this and will still hit you often). But if you play one you know that those arcs flatten faster as range closes especially around 11-12 km...You also know a Cleveland has a little different citadel and more HP and armor. What would the Molotov counter with?

I think all the advice you got is good. Im an OK player not great and I can make a weak ship work by trying to stay vigilant to danger and taking opportunity when it presents itself.

Rudder shift mod is a must for the Molo. And if your missing at 12km in it you need to practice aiming. At 12km you should be able to hit a DD pretty consistent with Moly, especially the tall us DD's. You can wiggle pretty well with it, and still bring your guns to target. I will agree you need room if your running. use the mini map, islands can be a curse or boon. If you have to turn sharp to avoid one, chances are someone is watching you and will want your juicy broadside. I specifically look for broadsides...Many times I will hold my fire until I get a favorable shot...it doesn't always work but 

Keep BB's at distance. I try to engage them last and only above 15km  or more if using my spotter. 1 Salvo will wreck the VMF ships. If you HAVE to engage close turn nose in using your front guns. If you hav to turn to run your alreay going to the bottom. Also dont underestimate the damage a DD or Atlanta can do in quick order. They generally wont cit you but they will bleed off HP fast with the quick rate of fire

Make sure your ammo is correct for the task, AP or HE. Both are highly effective with Molo IF used correctly. I find myself changing up a lot with most cruisers, even the Hipper now that DKM HE was buffed. I find with AP you get a CIT or Overpen...Its either big damage or 440. i sometimes use AP on a broadside BB...You can pen and cit them but you need to be perfectly broadside to cit. HE will usually deal good damage and start a fire if you land a good salvo

[KNTAI]
Members
3,134 posts
9,120 battles

I recommend getting closer to the enemy if sniping is failing you. Ideally, you don't want to get closer than 10 KM to anything, thought. I also suggesting looking at the smokestack plumes of ships. They're a decent indicator about their speed. Just predict your shot, based on your ship's shell travel-time, the target's shape/size/armor and their speed. Once you got those down, then comes the tricky part of aiming at the water line and near their citadel hitboxes for them golden ribbons...