Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tdoc1313

DD Smoke

6 comments in this topic

[VANGS]
Members
17 posts
8,352 battles

When you pop smoke for the DD and sit in it, this will break the LOS, so if the enemy is not using radar, they are unable to see you. This thought in mind, if you cant out run the DD / CA, you are better off sitting in the smoke so you can take a closer shot with your torps.

The thought being u are better trying to kill them, since you cant out run / evade.

[SALVO]
Members
28,059 posts
41,711 battles

When you pop smoke for the DD and sit in it, this will break the LOS, so if the enemy is not using radar, they are unable to see you. This thought in mind, if you cant out run the DD / CA, you are better off sitting in the smoke so you can take a closer shot with your torps.

The thought being u are better trying to kill them, since you cant out run / evade.

Once you're in smoke, you can only target enemies that a team mate is spotting for you.  (Personally, I'd remove "offensive smoke" from the game, since I think that it provides too great an advantage to DD's and is amazingly annoying if you're on the receiving end.  But that's a different discussion.)

If you're going to play a DD who wants to aggressively use "offensive smoke", you need to be in the company of team mates that can spot for you.  An offensive smoke using DD can't play the lone wolf, going off on his own.  He needs spotting buddies. 

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
1,735 posts
6,720 battles

You can use the smoke as "hard cover" and by keeping it between you and them you will escape unnoticed.

Also, by staying there, you are putting yourself in more danger, smoke screens nowadays are torpedo and gun magnets. 9/10, someone will have launched torpedoes into your smoke screen.

[VANGS]
Members
17 posts
8,352 battles

Thank you good points. I did not know about the spotting, so that is very helpful. I think where smoke could be very helpful when a CA is chasing you and not able to escape them in time, you could pop it, let them come in the smoke area. This would allow you to launch torps. at almost point blank range (yes I know they need to be outside the arming area.

I play the IJN8 FUB, so I have 3 trop tubes. I find most CA can out maneuver my torps, so I fire 2 and keep one in reserve. I have found my self in situation named above and have been thinking about this tactic.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,954 posts
45,059 battles

Smoke screens are valuable in Polish, Russian and US dd's.  If they are within 8 / 9 km, you can easily citadel a cruiser using AP.   

oh smoke screens can be great with IJN DDs too. I always plan to stay undetected, but battles rarely work exactly how I plan. So just as you're lining up to torp that big fat BB, an enemy DD pops out from behind an island. Pop smoke and slam on the brakes to 1/4 speed. What you do next depends entirely on the situation.

Say you just screwed up and let that lonely BB see you but a teammate can keep them spotted. If you're in a Minekaze, you can sit in the smoke waiting for torp reload and send another batch of fish before the BB is on top of you. Firing your guns at an approaching BB while hiding in the smoke adds to the thrill & enjoyment :)

OTOH circling fast away from an approaching cruiser while laying smoke may save your bacon by keeping the smoke screen between you and the CA who dearly wants to sink you. Smoke may also give you just enough screen to get behind an island to run away. 

Sitting still inside smoke with enemy DDs within torp range is a BAD idea. Assume that they will blind fire torps into the smoke. I always do and it continues to surprise me how often that works. 

I buy premium smoke for all DDs. Don't run out often, but the faster reload time has saved me any number of times. 

Edited by Landing_Skipper

Sign in to follow this