You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Czevak

0.5.8 Preview #HYPE

108 comments in this topic

[-KIA-]
Senior Volunteer Moderator, Beta Testers, Supertester, Privateers, Senior Volunteer Moderator
6,550 posts
8,491 battles

0.5.8 Preview look from the .Asia server! #HYPE

I sum it up here, but I do recommend looking yourself: 0.5.8 Preview

New game type!

Bastion

Experimental mode in which the only map which has this mode is currently Atlantic.

"The main feature of this mode is its onshore installations, designed to give fire and reconnaissance support to the team that captured them."

Two types of installations:

-Forts

-Surveillance Stations

0f708b00_3c53_11e6_bbc4_38eaa7374f3c.jpg

130c145a_3c53_11e6_bbc4_38eaa7374f3c.jpg

14e37c00_3c53_11e6_b832_38eaa7374f3c.jpg

Matchmaking changes!

For in depth look at MM changes please read here: http://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/announcements/public-test-058-key-feature/

Basically, more balanced MM. :D

2 New Maps!

Sea of Fortune

1a98533c_3c53_11e6_8164_38eaa7374f3c.jpg

164f9cae_3c53_11e6_b832_38eaa7374f3c.jpg

And some other relatively minor patches.

Note: Public Test client can be updated, update is about 1.5gb. Client is likely to update again due to patches etc etc..

Bad news: Unfortunately, the 1.5gb update (even if unpacked to say 3gb) would not be large enough for the German line, so expect German BBs added come 0.5.9  or even more likely 0.6.0.

Edit: Just found some new information curtosy of TheArmoredPatrol: 
Q: When can we expect German BBs and Royal Navy ships?
A: You can expect German BBs in the middle of the summer. They will be tested in a couple of weeks. First branch of Royal Navy can be expected at the end of Q3.

Q3 begins July 1st and ends Sept 30th... so German BBs released mid August?

What's your take on 0.5.8? Leave your thoughts/comments down below.

Edited by DarthDoge

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

Ehh...not a fan of the MM changes. They made it too strict, imo.

More equal tier distributions would be nice, but I feel the class distributions are excessive.

[-KIA-]
Senior Volunteer Moderator, Beta Testers, Supertester, Privateers, Senior Volunteer Moderator
6,550 posts
8,491 battles

Ehh...not a fan of the MM changes. They made it too strict, imo.

More equal tier distributions would be nice, but I feel the class distributions are excessive.

I'd honestly rather have 'mini-leagues' such as: Tier 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8 and 9-10 Like a Tier 4 ship will not see a Tier 5 ship but a Tier 5 ship will see only itself and Tier 6 ships. No more, no less.
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

The Bastion mode looks problematic to me and it raises a few questions.

1: What kind of RNG will the guns have? Will it be accurate like a Yubari or dispersed like secondary guns?

2: What damage will the guns do? Will they be able to citadel ships? Will they score detonations on DDs? Will they light BBs on fire?

3: Will surveillance stations be the end of DDs stealth-capping bases? Can they see through smoke and/or increase detection range like Radar can?

4: Will people just farm fort kills instead of taking on enemy ships?

5: Can dive bombers from CVs take out forts? Will forts have AA? Wil that AA be good or bad?

Basically, I'm worried that these bases will become so powerful that they deter people from playing the objective and focus all the action around killing the forts.

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,306 battles

Basically, I'm worried that these bases will become so powerful that they deter people from playing the objective and focus all the action around killing the forts.

I'm good with that.

Members
810 posts
2,554 battles

Looking forward to the new maps and game mod.

Not looking forward to MM changes, though hopefully it will solve the DD imbalance that sometimes happens when one team gets 1 DD and the other gets 3.

I do wonder what the first line for the Royal Navy will be; probably battleships if I had to guess.

Members
808 posts
9,436 battles

I am looking forward to the bastion mode.  This should add some new flavor/strategy to the game.  I think it will be a lot of fun.  Always like new maps.  Not sure on MM how this will change things.  Looks like more even keel for teams which will be nice.  I wonder if que times will be longeras the Mm tries to meet the new criteria?

[SYN]
Members
2,861 posts
10,456 battles

German BB's would only be added to the regular client for super tester purposes. Because of that there is no need to add them to public tests, since as far as I know, super testers don't use public test. Also might I remind you, this didn't happen with russian cruisers either.

Members
1,719 posts
4,106 battles

Well thats good that German BBs are incoming, but has anyone seen the new ribbons they look so much worse than the ribbons currently in game

[-KIA-]
6,550 posts
8,491 battles

Looking forward to the new maps and game mod.

Not looking forward to MM changes, though hopefully it will solve the DD imbalance that sometimes happens when one team gets 1 DD and the other gets 3.

I do wonder what the first line for the Royal Navy will be; probably battleships if I had to guess.

Hmm, I'd reckon Cruiser's first.

Also to 1Sherman: I'd say these forts would have 14" - 16" gun batteries.. imagine secondaries but with a much.. bigger UMPH!

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
9,539 battles

I believe that I aw on a Q&A that the RN cruiser line would be first, followed by the BB line. Which would make sense considering all the trees start with the cruiser lines and then branch out to the other lines. Plus, why would put a line in first that starts at tier 3? Doesn't make sense to add in BBs first.

Members
808 posts
9,436 battles

1: What kind of RNG will the guns have? Will it be accurate like a Yubari or dispersed like secondary guns?

2: What damage will the guns do? Will they be able to citadel ships? Will they score detonations on DDs? Will they light BBs on fire?

3: Will surveillance stations be the end of DDs stealth-capping bases? Can they see through smoke and/or increase detection range like Radar can?

5: Can dive bombers from CVs take out forts? Will forts have AA? Wil that AA be good or bad?

Damn!  I honestly didn't look at that initially.  All great questions to keep in mind, and thanks for pointing that out.

[EPOXY]
Wiki Editor, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,899 posts
13,522 battles

meanwhile on EU article, improved hit ribbons

2xI026Q.jpg

yRlVQnV.jpg

• Cool 1

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

Play of the Game:  Bastion on Atlantic

[Cue Island Forts doing the most damage to both sides]

At least the angry islanders can finally have their revenge.  Where's that story about NPC islanders salvaging shells and reusing the cannons?

On a more serious note, I'm going to be extremely happy capturing those forts.  Those radar installations and gun emplacements are really going to increase the mid-range combat, like they do i NF2.  Bonus if the Radar installations actually mark the entire enemy team's location every few seconds.

As far as armor remodeling goes, here's hoping it fixes Yubari and improves some bow-on tanking with Myoko, Atago, and Ibuki.

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

I'd honestly rather have 'mini-leagues' such as: Tier 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8 and 9-10 Like a Tier 4 ship will not see a Tier 5 ship but a Tier 5 ship will see only itself and Tier 6 ships. my tier 8 always being top tier.

FTFY. :trollface:

[-KIA-]
6,550 posts
8,491 battles

2xI026Q.jpg

yRlVQnV.jpg

image.jpg

• Cool 3

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

The thing though is that Bastion mode is supposedly Domination with armed and armored caps.  So if anything, you're playing the objective; capture/control the points and their defenses, or disable the defenses and defenders and capture the points.

I'm hoping for large and small caliber gun installations, most of them probably in the 14" to 15" in range on the large end of the scale, though Japan deployed a few 16.1" guns for coastal defense.  Same stats (RoF, traverse, dispersion) as the nationality the guns belong to.

As for surveillance installations, they're perfect for motivating capture or destruction of the point.  Moreso if it reveals everyone on the MINIMAP in 5 second intervals.  Definitely going to be a group fight around those.

The ribbon changes are hilarious though; it looks like they just took their camouflage paint file (that roller paint splash) and edited it.

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

I'm good with that.

How are you good with that? Do you want the game to become a fleet sitting next to a fort and not caring what the enemies are doing?

Also to 1Sherman: I'd say these forts would have 14" - 16" gun batteries.. imagine secondaries but with a much.. bigger UMPH!

If the guns are going to be that big, they'd better have really bad penetration values and/or really bad dispersion, or else this will become a reality:

[Cue Island Forts doing the most damage to both sides]

[HINON]
Members
7,656 posts
9,539 battles

I might not be in favor of the new ribbon designs, but I do like how the secondaries are getting their own ribbons for hits now. Always in favor of having more ribbons on the screen :D

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

The thing though is that Bastion mode is supposedly Domination with armed and armored caps.  So if anything, you're playing the objective; capture/control the points and their defenses, or disable the defenses and defenders and capture the points.

I'm hoping for large and small caliber gun installations, most of them probably in the 14" to 15" in range on the large end of the scale, though Japan deployed a few 16.1" guns for coastal defense.  Same stats (RoF, traverse, dispersion) as the nationality the guns belong to.

As for surveillance installations, they're perfect for motivating capture or destruction of the point.  Moreso if it reveals everyone on the MINIMAP in 5 second intervals.  Definitely going to be a group fight around those.

The ribbon changes are hilarious though; it looks like they just took their camouflage paint file (that roller paint splash) and edited it.

They were not the only ones, the US army used 40 of the 16"/L50 MK2-3 guns intended for the canceled SD class during WW2 as well as developing the M1919  and Germany used 7 of the 16" gun developed for their H class BBs. 

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

CVs camping under the protection of a gun battery isn't a bad thing necessarily.  Same goes for DDs retreating to a friendly gun battery to pull some heat off them as their chasers are forced to deal with both the guns and the DD.

It's worthless for a battleship or cruiser to camp near a gun battery though; moreso when they're more likely to have better gun stats than the island's defenses (especially if they're USN-type guns or KM-type guns; and the fact all of them probably have a limited range; say 20km at best, but more likely 15km average).

They were not the only ones, the US army used 40 of the 16"/L50 MK2-3 guns intended for the canceled SD class during WW2 as well as developing the M1919  and Germany used 7 of the 16" gun developed for their H class BBs. 

True.  I just listed the largest caliber one used for coastal defense in WWII.  Nevertheless, they'll be fun to have on either side.

Members
726 posts
1,805 battles

I might not be in favor of the new ribbon designs, but I do like how the secondaries are getting their own ribbons for hits now. Always in favor of having more ribbons on the screen :D

Ditto. Also, loving the breakdown on main battery hits there. More info is always useful.

Alpha Tester
2,902 posts
6,252 battles

2xI026Q.jpg

yRlVQnV.jpg

Is8iLxC.gif

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of more ribbons and having them be more informative but...  Just not feeling that design scheme for them.  Pastel crayon squiggle background just looks... unfinished.

Edited by vonKaiser
  • Cool 3

Alpha Tester
7,170 posts
4,070 battles

Right!