You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
USSIndianaJones

Confessions from an Average Player

41 comments in this topic

Members
22 posts
2,198 battles

I'm an average player. It's tough to swallow. Nobody really wants to be average. I don't like being called a potato, or watch my karma drop after a tough game. I know what a citadel is, and I know how to aim for it. I have my alt-interface on and I know how to lead. I expect every shot I take to land exactly where I want it to in my mind's eye. Except it usually doesn't. I know not to show my broadside, but sometimes I feel I have to. Sometimes I have to dodge torpedoes, or I find myself overextended and I have to find my way back. I don't sit in the back and snipe, but sometimes I feel like that's what I should have done if I find myself dead due to aggression. Often I load into a game and I'm unsure whether to lead or follow. Most of the time I'm looking for a little leadership because I don't know the in's and out's of a map. I'm not an admiral, I don't know where the best place for every ship on every map, so I try to follow and watch. At some point people suddenly "get" a game. They know what's going to happen before it happens and see everything differently from an "average" player. There's a depth of knowledge that's more intuitive than anything. I hope to reach that point. Yet I think I know how much I don't know, and it seems far off. I don't like to lose. I hate losing, and I try to learn from every loss. I hate letting my team down. It happens sometimes. Sometimes I beach myself trying to escape, or turn around clockwise when I should have went counterclockwise, or miss a shot I know I should have made. I remember one time reading someone melting down on the forums about a mistake I made. I wasn't named, but I know it was me. I recognized his name and the situation. It was my first T8+ match ever, and I finally was able to drive a North Carolina. A carrier asked for AA help, and I thought that protecting a carrier with my extra AA was more valuable than me launching balloons and missing because it was my first time ever working with the NC's flight arc. So I went after my carrier, but I couldn't quite get to him before it was too late and the game was basically decided. I just didn't know better at the time, and I got an earful in chat. I suppose the point of my ramblings is this. Everyday I read thread after thread about "carrying" and "potatoes" and ranked battles, and matchmaking. Not everyone is a great player, but everyone else isn't exactly garbage either. There are a lot of players that want to be good, that want to "carry", they just aren't there yet, and that's okay. It's just a game we all play for fun. Matchmaker doesn't matter, we all have to play with each other anyway. Sometimes you get put on a team with unicum players, sometimes you get put with me. 

Is there anyone else out there who is just average? What do you do to try and improve?

• Cool 10

[-BWS]
Beta Testers
1,896 posts
13,867 battles

First of all

Good Job.

people who say they need to carry a team have issues

people who call you a potatoe have issues

you may have been late but you did the right thing

yes by all means stay back, disable messages and get better

too many people try to cap too soon, and charge to quick.

the game can go 20 minutes and players are not patient enough.

feel free to use the report system  as I do for language in chat

I am average, I smoke to help allies, I watch the carrier and support BBs, with my cruiser rather than charge.

when I am in a BB I do not leave the lemming train so we can focus our slow rate of fire, I wish cruisers would support us by keeping DDs off our tails.

do not charge in with your DD, set your speed a little lower, observe and attack, this will help.

Edited by StingRayOne

Beta Testers
4,007 posts
14,539 battles

Try to watch some tutorials from youtubers/twitchers like Mejash.Ichase,Business6.Derekside.Braincage. etc

But as a starters guide:

Don't show broadside

Don't go alone, stick with the pack

As a dd always cap/scout. as a bb try to kill cruisers first. as a cruiser try to kill dds and other cruisers

BBs use ap 90% of the time

CAs AP is situational, mostly on broadside targets

DDs usually not worth it but some do good with ap

The citadel is critical damage , you need to use AP for that and aim under the back/front turrets or in the middle of the ship at the waterline

If you are bottom tier try to stick a bit back as a support and not to charge first

And be aware of your minimap , that's the most important thing after learing how and where to aim

Btw , the game is full of salt , don't let the nobs get to you , you just do your job for the class that you play

Edited by PrinzMakaay
  • Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,538 posts
12,810 battles

I'm average.  it is what it is.  Skill at this game and 4.95 will get you coffee at starbucks.  Now, I'm not saying that people shouldn't try to improve, I'm just saying that not everyone is capable of unicum play.  The best thing you can do to improve is to watch the mini-map and learn player tendencies.  If you know what most players like to do on a certain map, you can position yourself accordingly to take advantage of it.

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

I think you're pushing too hard to grind up the tiers. I mean, you're up to Iowa with 90% of your battles in USN BBs.

You have virtually no experience in CAs or DDs. Having that well-rounded experience can and will really help your game even if it won't help your winrate (initially).

I've had ships I'm just total potato in and I needed to be potato in, in order to grow as a player. You should have seen me last night in my Mutsucki running aground over and over again. Hilarious.

Anyway, I'm a HUGE believer in watching game film. Get on the WoWs replays and watch players playing the ship you want to be better in. Watch how they angle. Watch where they're aiming. Watch the mini-map and see maybe why they decide to head the direction they do. You even will sometimes see a completely new way of doing things. For instance, I use the right mouse click to "free lock" a lot after I saw someone using it in game. It also locks your firing onto the target (provided they don't turn), and you can fire while looking around.

Edited by CapnCappy
  • Cool 3

Alpha Tester
1,247 posts
4,975 battles

There's a lot I'd like to respond with but typing on a phone with chimp fingers isn't easy. I would rather play a thousand games with 'average' players with your kind of attitude than the 'good' players who always has some negative criticism for anyone and everyone but themselves.

Feel free to add me in game. I can't promise either of us will get any better but we will probably have a little more fun. I won't have my internet switched on until tomorrow though.

• Cool 4

Beta Testers
201 posts
12,526 battles

I'm average also, but I try to improve.  Some ships I handle better than others so I play to those strengths and try to work on the weaknesses.  Having a great group of people on the TS server I joined makes a huge difference.  They can offer real time advice/critiques and help keep the game "light" when I get frustrated.  Hang in there, try to improve, but most importantly have fun.

Members
57 posts
1,368 battles

Well, IMO, you have completed the first step of being amazing player, far better than even myself. And, that is admitting that you are flawed and have the ability to improve. I still at times find myself yelling at my screen from time to time lol.  But really, laughst your mistakes and congratulate those who take advantage of them (humility does wonders imo) also, as Makaay noted, tutorial vids are always good to review even if ha know it. Refreshing is good. 

Take breaks often. Winning a lot? Break. Losing a lot? Break. Played 5-8 games? Break.  Let the vibes die down and take 10-15minutes just to re-acclimate, more if you feel the need to. 

Also, nothing wrong with being an average player. I enjoy my average nests and even refer to myself as a lowly casual all the time on the forum just to give a laugh.  

Banned
2,229 posts
11,923 battles

You have what most potatoes lack, a desire to win and get better.  You are already ahead of them by a mile and unlike them, you have my respect.  Those others that lack your humility and maturity and instead troll and grief and toss out the "it's just a game" card every time they want to justify their poor behavior are people who outside the game have suffered much loss of opportunity and they don't even know it.  They are their own worst enemy and self-destructive.

Keep maintaining the desire to improve yourself, it will advance you in this game in due time and by reinforcing that mindset in this game, it reinforces that mindset outside the game.  It's why most of the top professionals across every industry are very competitive in games and sports, even the silliest of games.

It's like going to a company awards banquet.  You'll notice all the top salespeople sitting at the same tables and all the losers who can't sell sitting among themselves on the other side of the room sharing all the excuses in the book as to why they can't make it.  And all they do by reinforcing their excuses is keep themselves down.

As far as specifics, game videos are huge, so is joining clans to play with top players.  I cannot stress the latter enough.  If you want to be good, spend your time with good people and soak up like a sponge every bit of advice they give you and make sure you are consciously applying it.  If you're just getting into real estate for example, and you work at Century 21, the first thing you should do is look on the wall and see who has the most awards.  Spend several days memorizing every single word and action that agent says and does until you can mimic them with freakish accuracy.  I sought out the top players in this game, played with them and copied their every move and reaction to the game.  That's how I got better.  First 1000 games I played, I was stuck at around 50% win rate.  Last 1000 games, I'm at 62% win rate and all my other stats have skyrocketed as well.

A significant portion of this player base are toxic players that will not only not help themselves, they will bring you down with them if you associate with them.  Playing ranked has really brought to life just how low quality in both cognitive ability and in character a good number of people are who play this game, and they lack the self-awareness to recognize it, and because of that blind spot, they won't get better at this game or improve their life outside this game and there's nothing anyone can do to help them either.

Edited by VGLance

Beta Testers
412 posts
1,415 battles

i was average for a long time but the more i played the same ships the better i got in them and now I'm playing better then ever recently. I'm playing really good now but i still have more average games then i care to count

[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,045 posts

Most of the Unicorns division up.    Just face it if you are in the American Cruiser line.  Angling is not going to help from a BB shooting at you.  Best chance is making them miss by changing course.

Members
383 posts

You seem to be above average since you think about all those things.  Your gaming will improve the more you play and some of the fog of it all dissipates. But as an average player you will carry at times and you will potatoe at times. I've seen some of those Twitch players make some funny mistakes so us average guys will probably do it more often. Just play, learn, improve but most of all enjoy.  I'll see you out there.   

Members
4,335 posts
10,761 battles

That was an honest disclosure there Tirithion thank-you.

I guess I am "average" too but really why worry about it?

--If you are doing the best you can... good enough!

--if you lose a battle but can see you played well or even half-decent... good enough!

--if you lose and can see you really mucked up, attempt to learn from that--good enough!

WoT was a much harsher environment re noob-bashing and targeting of people not playing well and I much prefer it over here--that and my abiding love of ships as opposed to the smoky claustrophobia of a tank. The one thing I got out of that experience though was a thick skin regarding stats. I do the best I can as a 63 year-old up against some very sharp-reflexes of much younger players... but who needs excuses? Most games I feel I did well enough, rarely in the lower 5 in results, and I can see improvement happening (when I check my stats once a month or so).

The one dynamic I still find challenging is the appearance of these losing streaks now and then. Some days you are just doomed it seems (sailors always were, and are, superstitious), and before the frustration builds too much (you know, when you want to start blaming potatoes driving BBs or scrub teams you end up on), I take it on myself to stay in port and take a break from this online addiction. Works wonders. When I come back I'll test the waters with my lucky fleet leader the Warspite... after watching a few Notser or Jingles YouTubes. ;)

Don't be too hard on yourself.

• Cool 1

Members
808 posts
9,436 battles

I am average as well.  I make mistakes as we all do.  I sucked for a long time honestly.  I play multiple different ships from different nations and try them all..except for cv's.  I like to think I am a good average player and I try to improve my game.  I have tried random battles but struggle a lot there still so mostly play COOP.   I play coop because if I do make an idiot move I am not always raked over the coals.  I stay out of ranked and team battles because I do not feel I am up to par so I can carry my weight for a team and do not want to let the team down.  I watch you tube how to videos and replays all the time.  I use this forum for advice.  If I make a bonehead move and piss the team off.  I sort through the chaff and try to see what they are saying so I can learn from it and see what mistake I made.  I have learned every ship and every tier plays a little differently and it takes a bit of time to learn this.  Lets face it a Mutsuki does not play like a Minekaze at all.  I like to play on teams that get together in chat and make at least rudimentary plans.  I do not mind if I see someone in the team with high marks from Ranked battles who wants to play quarter back for the game either.  I generally just try to work for and with the team, and if that means I sink in the process then so be it.  I am getting better.  I do a lot more damage now than I used to, my gunnery is getting better, and my tactical decision making is better than before.  I'd say you are doing it right. I like the post and glad you ENJOY the GAME!  Bottom line that is what it is about.  I enjoy playing with players like you....there is a place for HARD CORE serious gamers and there is a place for that in this game.  There is a lot of space for us average players as well.

Members
1,870 posts
20,653 battles

From one average player to another I feel that as long as I'm having fun with the game and can use it to escape and forget about the trials and tribulations of real life I've already won. Losing does cut down on the fun factor as does having "experts" that are already dead yelling advice to you over chat. I often ignore chat or just turn it off rather than let myself be distracted. I suppose you could compare this game to golf; most of the time you're happy to just make par, some of the eagles and bogie shots will stand out in your mind but that elusive hole in one once in a life time game will always be what you strive for.

[CNO]
Members
7,450 posts
23,087 battles

I have a saying about life in general.  We are all born with aptitudes for different disciplines.  The range of our aptitudes go from poor, to average, to good.  I've discovered most people have a good aptitude in something, and may have poor aptitudes elsewhere.  The hierarchy goes like this:

A person with poor aptitude in something can usually work hard and become average...and work very hard to become good.  They will never be great or unicum.

A person with average aptitude in something can usually work hard and become good...and work very hard to become great.  They will never be unicum.

A person with good aptitude in something can usually work hard and become great...and work very hard to become unicum. 

Although few and far between, occasionally we come across someone with a great aptitude in some discipline.  If they work hard, they reach unicum.  If they work very hard, they become the pinnacle of achievement in their discipline.  The king of the unicum's so to speak.

If you are average now, you either have a poor or average aptitude for the WOWS traits.  In the former, with hard work, you can become a good player, but will never be great or unicum.  In the latter, hard work can get you into the ranks of the great, but never unicum.

Bottom Line Advice:  If you desire to become better, work harder.  I know that sounds trite.  But it really boils down to play more.  Learn more.

And come to the realization that there will always be someone better than you.  And some of those will berate you.  Talk down to you.  Such is the way of life.  Just keep that feeling in mind when you reach "good" and are on the team with poor or average players who do what a good player knows is a stupid thing to do.  Talking down does not work.  Berating does not work.  Give advice.  Give encouragement.  If they do something wrong, phrase it in an educating way.    

Edited by Soshi_Sone

Members
811 posts
4,250 battles

Well said,Tirithion! Even the best players were noobs and average at some point before excelling at gameplay. You've got to just keep playing while applying what you learn as you go along. I may have a great game in one battle, but in the next I might get sunk quickly and I want to kick myself for being a poor player. 

Each battle is a unique creature. I've learned that you can't play each game exactly the same way. In a high AA rated ship I've sometimes stayed back to cover an allied CV, only to have no enemies go near it.  Poor use of my ship in that battle? Or did I keep the enemy at bay by guarding the area? Or was the enemy CV a noob and just ineffective?  Yet the next game if I do the same, 20+ aircraft shot down. In a DD I've been down to a one on one with a BB and opted to run and cap (while weaving to avoid fire!) to win the game, yet got (inexplicably) citadeled and sunk by it from over 15km away. I was criticized for not playing smart and charging the BB to try to sink it. Capping early might prove good in one game, but bad in the next.

Keep in mind the best players don't have great games every game, they just practice, learn, and apply better strategies.and gameplay. That leads to good games more often than not.  Last thought- arriving at a new tier will expose you to even higher tier enemy ships and likely more experienced players.This will naturally make a person feel inferior at first. 

I'd be proud to battle along side ya!

Edited by ADM_Zakk_Zero

[-DPF-]
Members
774 posts
11,104 battles

I too am an average player.  My two thoughts for you are 1) Read LittleWhiteMouse's thread on improving your win rate, it has really helped me, and 2) find a really good player to division with from time to time, and pay attention to how they do things.  I have been fortunate to division from time to time with a few really good players, and I learn a great deal from them every time.  Most importantly, have fun!  It's a game after all!  I would be happy to division with you any time I am on.  You have a great attitude, and you will improve, because you recognize your limitations and want to improve!  It is great to see people like you here on the forums and in the game!:honoring:

Alpha Tester
11,714 posts
24,171 battles

If you want to improve, don't mimic the behavior of those that don't know how or have a desire to try to improve.

Don't follow guys to the wall.  Don't follow the handful of guys that follow the DD to a cap he has taken 5 minutes ago and camp behind it entertaining delusions that you are a being a productive part of a winning team.

Nicely written.

I was in a match other day and the enemy lemminged to the wall.  I took the slowest BB in the game and went almost straight to their cap and was sitting on it reflecting on the actions of the dots on the mini map.

We lost this match because people just follow without thinking.  They react without planning ahead.

They run away from objectives and wins because they are afraid of their teammembers throwing them under the bus.  Because they will without even bothering to think about it.

Just black and white, this or that, one dimensional hodor I go to (x) thinking patterns.  Ya ya go hold that door son....

Don't let them do this to you.  Escorting an afker just kills your team  Heading back to save a guy that ran away just kills your team.  Going left then right then left then right because you don't know where your going just makes you out of range of the DD that was counting on you.

Going sideways from the start just puts you out of range of being able to shoot the ships that are killing your cappers.

Just because kids do it doesn't mean it's the smart thing to do.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

as a chief potato of Clan Potatoes,     We welcome you to the clan. :)         acknowledgment is the first step to freedom and wish you the best in your path.  :trollface:

my kids plays baseball .  one is in JV at age14 and the other one is playing at 12 year old lvl and I help coach that team.       Both their teams are not the best, but they both have good personal stats..     They understand that they have to be at their best if they want the team to win.    I actually tell them that if you have team of spuds,  all you can do, is try to carry hard and see where it ends up.     They also know that they only have control over  themselves.   this has pushed them to work a bit harder and to practice more.    Because they personally perform well,  losing as a team doesn't bother them.  They do get mad at making mistakes themselves and they love playing.

I do the same thing here.     I do what i can.  sometimes I will carry, but sometimes I get carried.  .  but i have fun and keep working to improve.  

• Cool 1

[_FOG_]
[_FOG_]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
431 posts
2,706 battles

Good write up +1

I am also  " average "

Having games of brilliant play , and games of DUH ...

But what makes you better than average is recognizing the " DUH " games , and working to improve those.

watching good players , finding your " niche"  and what works for you .

all this things take time , practice  , and patience .

Keep up the great attitude .

:great:

[BONKS]
Members
1,738 posts
19,994 battles

It does not matter if you are a tomato, potatoe, green bean, blueberry, or a grape; sometimes you will be the one harvesting and other times you will be the one harvested. Just try your best and remember that we all come from the same farm :P

[CVLOV]
Beta Testers
3,640 posts
2,638 battles

If you do all that you stated OP, you're above average.

Angling / Aiming are the most important part of being a BB player, the other part is dealing with DDs and knowing vs what enemy composition to turn tail and press F7.

The amount of players (even at tier 7+) that I see not helping the team in any significant way and showing broadsides at all times while complaining of unfair RNG is atrocious.

Keep at it.

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,145 battles

Well said,Tirithion! Even the best players were noobs and average at some point before excelling at gameplay. You've got to just keep playing while applying what you learn as you go along. I may have a great game in one battle, but in the next I might get sunk quickly and I want to kick myself for being a poor player. 

Each battle is a unique creature. I've learned that you can't play each game exactly the same way. In a high AA rated ship I've sometimes stayed back to cover an allied CV, only to have no enemies go near it.  Poor use of my ship in that battle? Or did I keep the enemy at bay by guarding the area? Or was the enemy CV a noob and just ineffective?  Yet the next game if I do the same, 20+ aircraft shot down. In a DD I've been down to a one on one with a BB and opted to run and cap (while weaving to avoid fire!) to win the game, yet got (inexplicably) citadeled and sunk by it from over 15km away. I was criticized for not playing smart and charging the BB to try to sink it. Capping early might prove good in one game, but bad in the next.

Keep in mind the best players don't have great games every game, they just practice, learn, and apply better strategies.and gameplay. That leads to good games more often than not.  Last thought- arriving at a new tier will expose you to even higher tier enemy ships and likely more experienced players.This will naturally make a person feel inferior at first. 

I'd be proud to battle along side ya!

Great point here.  If we all went back (yes, including the Unicums too) and watched our first 50 games, we'd probably either die of laughter or shudder in horror how bad they actually were.  But we all learn and evolve, and will constantly have to as the game does as well.  We try and learn from our mistakes too.

Excellent post by Tirithion.  I love the open-mindedness of what he had to say and was willing to admit to his own flaws.  But the desire to correct those flaws and make himself a better player is what is really appealing about the post.  Most come in here and create whine threads.  Not this guy.  I'd be proud to have him on my team in battle.