Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WinterDawn_

Is Des Moines' Armor that good?

14 comments in this topic

Members
72 posts
9,871 battles

Just finished a game where I was in a Tirpitz. 27 AP shells hit to a Des Moines and did 5943 points of damage. That means at least 21 of them, bounced off.

Distance: If I recall correctly, from 17KM all the way down to 6KM

Angle: mostly 90 degrees(his head pointing at me), around 45 degrees at 6KM

I looked up the numbers, Des Moines has 25mm forward and after ends armor, 25-90mm deck armor. While Tirpitz has 380mm guns which will 100% penetrate around 26mm of armor (1/14.3 of the caliber)

The most insane fact is that, 6 shells hit within 6KM range around 45 degrees angle, all bounced. Hit around bow and under the turrets.

Really feels like shooting at a Yamato or something lol. And yes, I died to his AP shells penetrating my armor with ease.

Is this a result of bad luck or its just the game mechanics? That I am too bad at this game and should uninstall?

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

I think "25mm" is just the lowest armor it has... which I think is only the aft end of that ship.

I think the bow and frontal deck armor on DM and Baltimore are actually 26~28mm, because I noticed this too.

380mm isn't large enough to lolpen Baltimore and DM.

Like 1-1/8in = 28.575mm

Edited by MrDeaf

Members
72 posts
9,871 battles

I think "25mm" is just the lowest armor it has... which I think is only the aft end of that ship.

I think the bow and frontal deck armor on DM and Baltimore are actually 26~28mm, because I noticed this too.

380mm isn't large enough to lolpen Baltimore and DM.

Like 1-1/8in = 28.575mm

but, not enough for a 78% ricochet rate right? 

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

Tirpitz guns are just that bad.

And the armor isn't what it's puffed up to be either. The heavy armor makes for a near invincible citadel, sure, but it leaves Tirpitz super vulnerable to regular pens, especially if it's being hit by something that can push out a ton of AP DPM.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

but, not enough for a 78% ricochet rate right? 

shells might be hitting the bridge or barbette, but most of the front end seems to be completely immune to 380mm.

I try and shoot the turrets out when a Baltimore or DM does that to my Tirpitz, but it's one of those situations where you are kinda screwed, unless you get help from teammates.

Members
72 posts
9,871 battles

shells might be hitting the bridge or barbette, but most of the front end seems to be completely immune to 380mm.

I try and shoot the turrets out when a Baltimore or DM does that to my Tirpitz, but it's one of those situations where you are kinda screwed, unless you get help from teammates.

Guess the T10 CAs are too much for a Tirpitz, thanks for the replies!

Members
72 posts
9,871 battles

Tirpitz guns are just that bad.

And the armor isn't what it's puffed up to be either. The heavy armor makes for a near invincible citadel, sure, but it leaves Tirpitz super vulnerable to regular pens, especially if it's being hit by something that can push out a ton of AP DPM.

Yeah I noticed, despite the dispersion the gun still isn't good at all. And her armor makes her vulnerable to CA's AP shells, and even to enemy BBs, 20k plus salvoes without citadel hits.

And I found that I usually have bad luck in games, any games at all. Before that game, a New Mexico hit my citadel twice in one salvo. Lol.

Anyways, thanks for the reply!

[R-R-R]
Members
1,069 posts
11,452 battles

It is not just Des moines will give you trouble penetrating in Tirpitz.

You will have such problem with a lot of well-armored cruisers that sharply angles towards you. At least all tierX cruisers will sustain quite a bit against a Tirpitz(Actually even cruisers like Baltimore and Roon will definitely give you trouble as well, don't about other lower tiers). The problem is obviously that your gun is only 380 while NC and Amagi has 406 guns.

Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles

I've fought a Tirpitz 1v1 at 6km in my Baltimore and won by going bow-on and reversing.   380mm guns look scary, but they bounce all day.

The irony that game was palpable.

Note:  Don't try that versus anything with 16" or 410mm guns - it's amazing how WGs selection of the overmatch ratio affects so much.

Edited by Kenjister

[CRAYN]
Beta Testers
2,085 posts
4,674 battles

Des Moines can be immune to even 410mm guns when bow on. I had a Des Moines bounce an entire Amagi salvo.

[CLOVR]
Beta Testers
3,667 posts
1,637 battles

This is the whole reason some of the smaller gunned German BBs seem to me like they will struggle, especially Scharnhorst. Say an enemy BB that is angled up......

Ha, auto-correct wants to turn Scharnhorst into "Cornstarch"

Anyone remember the actual over match mechanics with the numbers?

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

overmatch is shell size is larger than 14.3x of armor thickness.

356mm vs 25mm = can be bounced

380mm vs 25mm = lolpen

Beta Testers
930 posts
5,765 battles

Idk but a Hindenburg quad citidaled me from 2.5 km and I was bow-on.

Given that, I think the tirp shouldve penned.. DM doesn't feel tough at all, especially to BBs.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Idk but a Hindenburg quad citidaled me from 2.5 km and I was bow-on.

Given that, I think the tirp shouldve penned.. DM doesn't feel tough at all, especially to BBs.

maybe you got hit for 12x pens into your superstructure? That should add up to 4 cits.

380mm might overpen the superstructure, but 203mm is unlikely to.

Sign in to follow this