You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

21 comments in this topic

[IPWA]
Members
46 posts
6,837 battles

Hello everyone,

I just researched, bought, and pretty much maxed my new Moskva. I was very excited to get one, and I had heard many good, and a few bad things about it. My first battle happened to be my best battle with it, and it sorta went downhill from there. I found that if I pressed too hard, and tried to make a quick U-turn, (I have rudder shift upgrade), I was about 70% through the turn when I received the 45k dmg from a salvo. I know its made of paper, but what kind of TIER 10 CRUISER should be no reward for the hard grind? This has repeated itself over and over and being my first tier ten ship, I'm really not impressed. Some people are going to say," Its that you suck." But, no matter what I can do, I die faster than the t8 cruisers even when I hang BEHIND the battleships. My captain has concealment expert, and my ship has that mod. I've only got an avg dmg of 55k in it, but I'm sure that I'm not the only one who doesn't understand how this ship is an UPGRADE. I would really be happy if WG would buff its armour so that I don't get citted for just making a island covered U-turn?!?!

Thanks.

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

Moskva needs no buffs. You showed your broadside in a battleship-sized cruiser with battleship-like handling, and Russian theoretical armor. As with all Russian ships, it is a glass cannon, and you can bet that you're going to be targeted because of it. Turning your bow in and reversing may have been the better choice, depends on what was around you, but Moskva is not a ship you should show a broadside with, and being that you've worked your way up to it (I presume), you should know that Russian cruisers don't take hits very well.

Edited by SergeantHop

[MAR_U]
Beta Testers
828 posts
10,391 battles

its guns are extremely powerful. that is its upgrade. the lack of substantial armor is supposed to be its weakness so that it does not become overpowered and completely break balance. it may be irritating but it is the reality and i would prefer a somewhat balanced ship to an op ship, (its true balance comes into question alot) since i dont have it yet i cant really comment on it being op or not but ive fought it a few times in my ibuki and being citadelled by those guns with no way to consistently damage it in return, when its bow on is rather irritating to fight. hopefully it will be less of an issue now that i can stealth fire with the ibuki but for quite some time i was tempted to claim the moskou was completely op because of this. (i dont really consider it op anymore do to the limitations stated above and its tendency to be a shell magnet).

[IMWS]
Alpha Tester
23 posts
4,214 battles

SO you want a Tier 10 (Battle) cruiser that lobs 220mm shells and has superb manuverability to be buffed?

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

I heard Moskva can bounce 460mm shell off its bow.

might want to try that.

[IPWA]
Members
46 posts
6,837 battles

Hello again,

Thank you for your comments. I do have another question though... What do you do in a situation where you turn bow into  3 tier ten cruisers when a battleship is spotted to your left broadside? You either get citted by a DM or Hindenburg, or one shotted either way... In a DM your high speed and better armour allows you to back up and cit in return, maybe take one with you. In a Moskva, you are dead in most cases before you deal much damage, and are rewarded with a huge bill. Any tips? Thanks.

Members
7,307 posts
3,304 battles

I heard Moskva can bounce 460mm shell off its bow.

might want to try that.

Yep, its the only ship that can bounce Yammy thanks to her 40mm~ bow armor. As a refresher for those who might not know, the Yammy can over pen any ship that has less than 33mm of armor. She is probably the best nose on battleship cruiser in the game

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

Hello again,

Thank you for your comments. I do have another question though... What do you do in a situation where you turn bow into  3 tier ten cruisers when a battleship is spotted to your left broadside? You either get citted by a DM or Hindenburg, or one shotted either way... In a DM your high speed and better armour allows you to back up and cit in return, maybe take one with you. In a Moskva, you are dead in most cases before you deal much damage, and are rewarded with a huge bill. Any tips? Thanks.

At that point, it's more about not getting yourself into that position. Ideally, you'd want to angle yourself against all of them as much as possible though, if that means a 45 degree angle to each target, then sure. That's that much more angling that you've got, and you'll likely bounce more shells. It's tough when you get pinched like that, and the best way to survive it is to not get in those situations. Limiting what can shoot at you via cover before engaging a high-threat target is also important. 

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

What. Moskva has great armor. Using the max range on its guns you can easily dodge battleship shells while you set them ablaze.Des Moines on the other hand gets rekt. In addition it has lots of hit points and repairs a lot.

Protip: If you ever see a T10 Battleship within 7km and giving you a broadside, AP the $#%@! out of them.

shot-16.06.28_12.37.12-0403_zpsfuzfenyh.

Edited by saagri
  • Cool 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,180 posts
30,938 battles

Hello again,

I don't own Moskva, but that scenario you put in, if you find yourself in that, you're already dead.  The act of the enemy ships focus firing to put you under the waves is but a mere formality.  Even a Yamato in that situation will be hard pressed and wouldn't surprise me if she got sunk.  Have good map situation awareness, I tend to stare at the minimap quite a bit because it summarizes the battle better than you scanning the horizon.

You should have learned in the lower tiered Russian Cruisers they have mediocre handling and mediocre or practically nonexistent armor.  They also shared the same general gun characteristics of excelling at range.  If you worked your way up the line, remember your playstyle in ships like Kirov, Schors, etc.

High Tier Cruiser play is dangerous.  At high tiers, Cruiser armor is almost irrelevant because the main armament of Cruisers and Battleships are far reaching and powerful, as well as generally more experienced players that will make you pay dearly.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Hello again,

Use your insane 20km range and equally insane laser beams to sink them beyond their effective range, before you end up in a 4v1.

No joke, Moskva was literally designed to counter Des Moines by firing beyond DM's range.

Yep, its the only ship that can bounce Yammy thanks to her 40mm~ bow armor. As a refresher for those who might not know, the Yammy can over pen any ship that has less than 33mm of armor. She is probably the best nose on battleship cruiser in the game

40mm? Jeez, that's a lot of armor on a cruiser...

Edited by MrDeaf

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

My main issue with the Moskva is the AP shells perform inconsistently. Sometimes there is a broadside Atago or another cruiser 10km or so away and I fire off two turrets and no citadels. Other times there is an angled cruiser at 15km and I smack it for 10-17k damage.

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

Use your insane 20km range and equally insane laser beams to sink them beyond their effective range, before you end up in a 4v1.

No joke, Moskva was literally designed to counter Des Moines by firing beyond DM's range.

40mm? Jeez, that's a lot of armor on a cruiser...

Yeah, I don't know why people say Moskva has terrible armor. I only have the Des Moines as a comparison but the Des Moines was getting penetrated left and right and when I was using my Yamato I cit'd Des Moines from the front. There have been times when I got real close to Montanas and Yamatos in my Moskva and I easily bounced shells hitting the bow. 
Edited by saagri

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

Hello everyone,

I just researched, bought, and pretty much maxed my new Moskva. I was very excited to get one, and I had heard many good, and a few bad things about it. My first battle happened to be my best battle with it, and it sorta went downhill from there. I found that if I pressed too hard, and tried to make a quick U-turn, (I have rudder shift upgrade), I was about 70% through the turn when I received the 45k dmg from a salvo. I know its made of paper, but what kind of TIER 10 CRUISER should be no reward for the hard grind? This has repeated itself over and over and being my first tier ten ship, I'm really not impressed. Some people are going to say," Its that you suck." But, no matter what I can do, I die faster than the t8 cruisers even when I hang BEHIND the battleships. My captain has concealment expert, and my ship has that mod. I've only got an avg dmg of 55k in it, but I'm sure that I'm not the only one who doesn't understand how this ship is an UPGRADE. I would really be happy if WG would buff its armour so that I don't get citted for just making a island covered U-turn?!?!

Thanks.

If you're having problems with the Moskva, then watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdrTK5xYZLQ

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

If you're having problems with the Moskva, then watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdrTK5xYZLQ

I think the video doesn't emphasize staying at range enough and that the AP shells can citadel Battleships that get too close. Seriously, I citadeled a North Carolina at 14km.

Edit: or the fact that instead of getting main battery reload you can get range increase for 22km range.

Edited by saagri

[IPWA]
Members
46 posts
6,837 battles

Something else,

I did a battle today where I was pushing but decided to slow down and make a quick turn to the left, putting me broadside to a Montana for about 5 seconds. In that 5 seconds, nothing I could do could have stopped him from double citting me for 30k hp and the game would be really boring if I had to go all the way around the map before turning. What do I do when I need to go in a different direction, but had to go broadside for a few seconds to get there? Everyone says its a good ship, overall, and I agree. But, I am not impressed with its armor and its on/off unpredictable citadelling. People show vids of citting a yamato at close range, but RNG will not let me cit a broadside hipper at 3km so I have to use HE? What is up with this?

[IPWA]
Members
46 posts
6,837 battles

Another thing:

When I use ap at close range, I also cannot cit a broadside Tirpitz in 5 salvos at 10-5 or less km/

I know it can be a good ship, and is most likely me, but that doesn't help me after playing t1-10 on this line. I was more impressed in general with shchors or chappy. Torps would have been nice, but crappy armour and crappy AP dpm makes it not very fun sometimes.  My avg dmg is only 55k, but I feel like everyone says its pretty good :( I don't know whether to sell it or try to get yamato?!?

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

Something else,

I did a battle today where I was pushing but decided to slow down and make a quick turn to the left, putting me broadside to a Montana for about 5 seconds. In that 5 seconds, nothing I could do could have stopped him from double citting me for 30k hp and the game would be really boring if I had to go all the way around the map before turning. What do I do when I need to go in a different direction, but had to go broadside for a few seconds to get there? Everyone says its a good ship, overall, and I agree. But, I am not impressed with its armor and its on/off unpredictable citadelling. People show vids of citting a yamato at close range, but RNG will not let me cit a broadside hipper at 3km so I have to use HE? What is up with this?

What was your range to montana? It's armor is decent for a cruiser but it is still a cruiser and you have to respect battleships. Also, I suspect the shallow arcs of the Moskva prevent close range citadeling. Montana and Yamato citadels are fairly high up though.  

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

Another thing:
When I use ap at close range, I also cannot cit a broadside Tirpitz in 5 salvos at 10-5 or less km/
I know it can be a good ship, and is most likely me, but that doesn't help me after playing t1-10 on this line. I was more impressed in general with shchors or chappy. Torps would have been nice, but crappy armour and crappy AP dpm makes it not very fun sometimes.  My avg dmg is only 55k, but I feel like everyone says its pretty good :( I don't know whether to sell it or try to get yamato?!?

Tirpitz has ridiculous belt armor. Aim higher to get regular penetrations. 

Members
15 posts
400 battles

Hello again,

Yeap... happens to me all the time. I am baiscally a "loner" in this game meaning, I have no RL friends that play that we can share ideas with. So, I am left with threads like this for personal strategy/gameply tactics.

The above situation is merely a situational awareness issue as other have said. Not the commander skill though. I am talking about the map on your bottom right hand corner of your screen. You will need to train yourself to use it more often than not. This is more so after T5-T6 ships. This is where the brawling (tactical play style) basically stops and you need to start being a bit more strategic in your game play,

Use a training room. Fool around in the Co-Op. These will help you. MAKE YOURSELF depend on that map for situational awareness. The  commander skill only tells you what may already be to late to do anything about. The map on the other hand, can dictate your future moves and strategies. It will take some time maybe, but slowly you will see the rewards. At present, I consider myself about 30% through on my "re-training". I am seeing improvements.

NOTE: I am only up to the Shchors at present. Having a blast in it but I feel the pain when I am stuck into T9-10 games from time to time. It's an all "Lets all shoot at Kahyenko"-time type of game! But lately, I have been among the survivors by using the map and picking when and where to fight.

Edited by Kahyenko