Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Bjoring

ABLA: Gridley, Bagley, and Benham-classes

9 comments in this topic

Members
248 posts
9,559 battles

Yes! Another ADLA rip-off! You can't stop me! You'll never stop me!

*ahem*

A Brief Look At: the Gridley, Bagley, and Benham-classes

4aEzdWR.jpg

The Gridleys, Bagleys, and Benhams were three classes of 4, 8, and 10 destroyers, respectively, built in the 1930s for the USN. Most of the ships saw heavy combat service in the Pacific Theatre of WW2, with several individual ships being highly decorated for their performance. The only notable differences between the three classes were their propulsion systems. The Gridleys used more powerful boilers but less efficient turbines compared to the preceding Mahan-class, the Bagleys' propulsion system was a repeat of the Mahans', and the Benhams used an generally more advanced system than either. The classes were otherwise highly similar, which is why I'm going to look at them simultaneously instead of individually and refer to them collectively as the GBB-classes.

Tonnage (Hitpoints):

The GBBs all weighed in at about 2,200 long tons at full load, which would translate to roughly 3957 + (4.1651 x 2200) = 13,120 hitpoints. This is a respectable amount for a DD and similar to the Mahan's hitpoints at tier 7.

GDe9s2V.jpg

Maneuverability:

Having similar hitpoints to the Mahan isn't a coincidence: the GBBs were based on the Mahan's hull. This means that they will also have a similar turning circle, acceleration rate, and rudder shift time compared to the Mahan. They may still be a tiny bit less maneuverable as consequence of their slightly greater weight, but even then would still be very nimble. Where the GBBs separate themselves from the Mahan and each other is speed, a consequence of their differing powerplants. The Gridleys' top speed was about 38.5 knots, the Bagleys' was 37 knots, and the Benhams' was 38. The Gridley-class USS Maury reached nearly 43 knots on her speed trials, though, so there is a basis to make at least the Gridleys even faster. In any case, the GBBs will have a very respectable top speed for a USN DD and you should have no problem getting where you want to go.

Ia9v6DA.jpg

Armor:

None, so don't get shot at. Well, that was easy. I should do ABLAs on DDs more often.

Armament:

The GBBs carried 4 5''/38cal guns in single mounts, the same type you've seen on every USN DD since tier 6. The specifics of the gun may change, but the general performance won't: great turret rotation and reload speed, decent damage, terrible shell arcs and velocity. The GBBs never had more than 4 of them, but this is still enough to make them capable knife-fighters. By far the biggest selling point of these classes, though, is their 16(!) torpedo tubes, which would set the record for most torpedoes carried by a DD in WoWs. The bad news is that these are American torpedoes, probably the same as on the Mahan, meaning that you will likely have to sacrifice torpedo speed if you want to launch from stealth. They are mounted in 4 broadside quadruple launchers, two port and two starboard. This means that you will generally be limited to launching "only" 8 torpedoes at a given target. 8 torpedoes is still very respectable, though, and it's a small matter of turning the ship a bit to send another 8 fish at a different target. AA shifted considerably throughout the war but will never be enough to make you a menace to planes, barring the presence of the Defensive AA Fire consumable. Some ships of the GBB-classes traded in some or all of their quad torpedo mounts for much greater AA armament, but no player is realistically going to take this option even if offered in game.

TrgA9c5.jpg

Conclusion:

Pros:

- 16 torpedoes

- seriously: 16(!) torpedoes

- great close range gun performance

- fast

Cons:

- 16 American torpedoes

- "only" an 8 torpedo broadside

- terrible long range gun performance

The USN was a fan of putting stability-threatening levels of firepower on its DDs, and nowhere is this more apparent than the Gridley, Bagley, and Benham-classes. These ships should play in a very similar manner to the Mahan: a great knife-fighter with plenty of decent but unimpressive torps. Given this, they would all be solid candidates for tier 7 in a second USN DD line or premium release. The biggest change, obviously, is that the GBBs trade a gun for the ability to launch 2 8 torpedo broadsides, as opposed to the Mahan's 1 8 torp and 1 4 torp broadsides. I expect this will be a popular trade, though, because there's a lot of fun to be had with 2,200 ton ships that can put 16 torpedoes in the water at a time. I know I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by Terran_Crusader
  • Cool 4

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

The USN was a fan of putting stability-threatening levels of firepower on its DDs, and nowhere is this more apparent than the Gridley, Bagley, and Benham-classes. These ships should play in a very similar manner to the Mahan: a great knife-fighter with plenty of decent but unimpressive torps. Given this, they would all be solid candidates for tier 7 in a second USN DD line or premium release. The biggest change, obviously, is that the GBBs trade a gun for the ability to launch 2 8 torpedo broadsides, as opposed to the Mahan's 1 8 torp and 1 4 torp broadsides. I expect this will be a popular trade, though, because there's a lot of fun to be had with 2,200 ton ships that can put 16 torpedoes in the water at a time. I know I'm looking forward to it.

This is partially because the IJN built the 1,400t Hatsuharu-class in 1931, which is even lighter than Mahan through Bagley (1,500t), after the IJN was barred from building their 1,680t Fubuki-class.

Hatsuharu originally had 5x 127mm guns, 9x torpedo launchers and 9x quick reloads, which, as you can imagine, is extremely top heavy, but also extremely heavily armed.

USN needed something to match that firepower, which is why you get these 16 torp launcher USN DDs that were only built in small quantities, but completely abandoned starting from Sims.

[-DUI-]
Members
92 posts
3,014 battles

Nice work dude, i'm really looking forward these DDs, those sixteen torps will be a lot of fun!

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,106 battles

USS Maury as a mini-Kitakami premium.  plox

Well not really since USS Maury wouldn't have the range.  Well unless they give it Sims torps. :hiding:

Alpha Tester
4,156 posts
8,061 battles

It would have better relative range, as Kitakami had 10km torp range and 11km concealment, so would always have to fire visible.  Maury on the other hand would be able to fire from stealth with the Mark 15's 9.2km range.

Sign in to follow this