You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hunter_Steel

Yamato Muzzle Flare Size Ingame

23 comments in this topic

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,630 posts
5,107 battles

Is too small. Here's an image from 1942 of Musashi during her gunnery trials firing her forward guns:

cJxnQWE.jpg

Image courtesy of NavWeaps.  Quite a rare image I might add, but looking at this, her muzzle flare ingame is too small for her guns. Would love to see:

A: A mod that changes the effect

Or

B: WG put in believable muzzle flares for some of the ships ingame.

~Hunter

[APOC]
Members
1,980 posts
7,184 battles

It already has like a 30km+ detection when firing main guns. A little more fire graphics doesn't make that less insane lol.

8,843 posts
7,637 battles

Probably why we don't have realistic muzzle flare.

^this. Effects are always nice, but having too much will disrupt gameplay as it hides the ship, even if just for a moment or two,

[SCCC]
Members
715 posts
22,181 battles

^this. Effects are always nice, but having too much will disrupt gameplay as it hides the ship, even if just for a moment or two,

Other than looking at the ship you just fired at to see if he's firing back what else would you be doing.

[KNTAI]
Members
3,134 posts
9,120 battles

Sailor: Oh no! A DD's been spotted within 10 KM of us! What do we do, Captain?!

Yamato Captain: Fire the Guns!

DD Captain: What? Where did they go?!

Yamato Captain: :trollface:

• Cool 4

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

Thats... not really how that works? Especially when you consider how long the smoke actually stays around... I mean, we're not talking about Naval action here, where firing the guns for a prolonged amount of time in a fleet battle makes it VERY smoky, because the gun smoke stays around. In game, the smoke stays for about a second roughly, then dissipates...

It wouldn't effect anything mechanics wise, in fact, you'd probably bring more attention to yourself with how big it is lol 

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

Thats... not really how that works? Especially when you consider how long the smoke actually stays around... I mean, we're not talking about Naval action here, where firing the guns for a prolonged amount of time in a fleet battle makes it VERY smoky, because the gun smoke stays around. In game, the smoke stays for about a second roughly, then dissipates...

It wouldn't effect anything mechanics wise, in fact, you'd probably bring more attention to yourself with how big it is lol 

It's a 1 second delay where you can't be sure of your opponents course and speed.

You want to delay a second for a sure shot in a close fight?

Smoke also lingers for a little longer than 1 second.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

It's a 1 second delay where you can't be sure of your opponents course and speed.

You want to delay a second for a sure shot in a close fight?

Smoke also lingers for a little longer than 1 second.

We're talking about a Yamato class battleship. A warship that can fire across most maps from on or near spawn, and who has a massive detection range when said guns are firing.

At the ranges we're talking about here, a 1 second delay would barely be registered and make any difference.

If we're talking about ranges with-in 5 km, then yeah, maybe there could be an issue, but who the heck fights with their Yamato at that kind of close range? I mean, I suck at this game, but I've nuked Yamatos with my derpitz because he was dumb enough to get into that kind of range.

Oddly enough, Yamatos don't seem all that scary when they're trying desperately to dodge torpedoes from Derpitz. The citadels just add nice touch on top of the massive torpedeus strike. :) 

Beta Testers
1,023 posts
2,801 battles

Also fire at the ocean and you'll have giant water walls, that's how Musashi fought against low flying TBs with her main guns.

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

We're talking about a Yamato class battleship. A warship that can fire across most maps from on or near spawn, and who has a massive detection range when said guns are firing.

At the ranges we're talking about here, a 1 second delay would barely be registered and make any difference.

If we're talking about ranges with-in 5 km, then yeah, maybe there could be an issue, but who the heck fights with their Yamato at that kind of close range? I mean, I suck at this game, but I've nuked Yamatos with my derpitz because he was dumb enough to get into that kind of range.

Oddly enough, Yamatos don't seem all that scary when they're trying desperately to dodge torpedoes from Derpitz. The citadels just add nice touch on top of the massive torpedeus strike. :) 

And sub 10 KM? That would certainly be an issue. And we have secondary spec Yamatos specifically built to fight at those ranges.

[ARMDA]
Members
9,004 posts
6,506 battles

:D

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

And sub 10 KM? That would certainly be an issue. And we have secondary spec Yamatos specifically built to fight at those ranges.

If you're seriously worried about a blast of smoke that doesn't even effect the ship's detection ratings other than making it MORE detectable, than you need to rethink a lot of things. It would barely last a second and a BB of that size, would not be able to change course or speed even remotely that fast to make a difference. Its the same as saying that cyclones are a massive buff to DDs and massive nerf to everything else.

Its literally a non-issue.

Besides, if you're having trouble shooting and aiming at a Yamato that is sub 10km away from you...well....I think you have bigger issues. :P

• Cool 1

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

If you're seriously worried about a blast of smoke that doesn't even effect the ship's detection ratings other than making it MORE detectable, than you need to rethink a lot of things. It would barely last a second and a BB of that size, would not be able to change course or speed even remotely that fast to make a difference. Its the same as saying that cyclones are a massive buff to DDs and massive nerf to everything else.

Its literally a non-issue.

Besides, if you're having trouble shooting and aiming at a Yamato that is sub 10km away from you...well....I think you have bigger issues. :P

I have had instances where I have had to delay my shot even with he current gun smoke size and duration.

I find it completely unacceptable for a graphical feature to impact decision in any way.

Having larger smoke, even in one instance, is not acceptable.

I certainly have no problems hitting a Yamato sub 10 km, but hitting he specific part of the Yamato I want without any vision is a different story.

It's not a non-issue, more than a very minor issue that doesn't even need to be introduced.
Edited by issm

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

I have had instances where I have had to delay my shot even with he current gun smoke size and duration.

I find it completely unacceptable for a graphical feature to impact decision in any way.

Having larger smoke, even in one instance, is not acceptable.

I certainly have no problems hitting a Yamato sub 10 km, but hitting he specific part of the Yamato I want without any vision is a different story.

It's not a non-issue, more than a very minor issue that doesn't even need to be introduced.

If this is seriously an issue for you, then I think you need to maybe re-evaluate something with yourself instead... :unsure:

I mean, ffs I have never had any issues with the current gun smoke, and I suck at this game! 

I think you might be looking far too into this issm. Take a step back and rethink this for a minute. Something like this seriously wouldn't change game play that much if at all. Its a graphical feature that literally would have no impact on game play, unless you play on a pure potato computer.

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

If this is seriously an issue for you, then I think you need to maybe re-evaluate something with yourself instead... :unsure:

I mean, ffs I have never had any issues with the current gun smoke, and I suck at this game! 

I think you might be looking far too into this issm. Take a step back and rethink this for a minute. Something like this seriously wouldn't change game play that much if at all. Its a graphical feature that literally would have no impact on game play, unless you play on a pure potato computer.

Perhaps the reason you have no issues is because you aren't aiming for specific parts of your targets?

Just saying.

It's something that could potentially cause issues with the game that doesn't need to be introduced.

Sure, it wouldn't change gameplay that much. But it would introduce a slight negative impact that doesn't need o be there at all.

Beta Testers
562 posts
1,852 battles

I vote yes to OP Idea because the game will be more epic and more interesting.

Actually, In my opinion Yamato when ammo exploded should be more like this too.

ZvBkRgd.jpg

And it should be some option to turn off this epic effect for whatever reason just in case too.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

massive plumes of smoke from gun powder should be a thing.

Historically, ships had to cease firing , because they couldn't see what they were shooting at, after a few salvos... until radar.

4,630 posts
5,107 battles

I vote yes to OP Idea because the game will be more epic and more interesting.

Actually, In my opinion Yamato when ammo exploded should be more like this too.

ZvBkRgd.jpg

And it should be some option to turn off this epic effect for whatever reason just in case too.

This wouldn't be a bad thing at all haha

~Hunter