You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
bridder01

Need a little help with New Mexico..

16 comments in this topic

[SWAG]
Members
168 posts
16,041 battles

Hi all, Brian here.  I'd like to get the opinions of the more experienced gamers out there to a problem I'm having with the Tier VI USN BB New Mexico.  As all are probably aware, the latest update shored up a lot of the modification upgrades available on ships.  There is one slot on New Mexico that I'm having a hard time with as to which upgrade I should use.  On one side is the Artillery Plotting Room upgrade which increases New Mexico's main battery firing range.  On the other side is the AA Guns Modification which increases New Mexico's AA defenses.  I'm really torn between which one to choose.  As most of you already know, most USN Battleship classes up to the Colorado-class didn't have the best AA defenses, although most of the surviving BBs in WW2 did received greatly upgraded AA defense during the course of the war.  My gut instinct tells me to go with the Artillery Plotting Room Mod, because without it New Mexico has by far the worst max firing range of all 3 currently available Tier VI BBs (the UK Warspite and the IJN Fuso being the other two) at just under 15 km.  On the other hand, in my experience a lot of players who play CVs will configure their ship for a primarily bomber load out.  Enhanced AA defenses would be a huge boost to help New Mexico help fend off scores of enemy bombers, particularly once I start to close in on an enemy stronghold.  For me, this is really a quandary.  Do I go with increased max main battery firing range?  Or do I take enhanced AA defenses to help against enemy planes?  I could really use some advice.  Thanks to all who respond and thanks for listening.

Cheers and happy hunting,

Brian  :)

Edited by bridder01

Beta Testers
412 posts
1,415 battles

you can choose whatever one you want but i went with the extended range because i get into carrier games like 3 out of 10 games now and even if i get into a carrier game i pray they don't focus on me or i hope a cruiser with heavy AA will stick with me but in the end I prefer to go the distance, that range does help out alot in my case when i hardly get carrier games now but it's your choice maybe you get more carrier games than i do

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

Most will tell you to play with the range.

I say learn to play closer and go with AA.

Its all on how you want to play her really, If you are a good shot play back. In my experience at those tiers the lack of range is workable and the high chance of getting a CV makes having really good AA a great benefit.

• Cool 2

[SWAG]
Members
168 posts
16,041 battles

you can choose whatever one you want but i went with the extended range because i get into carrier games like 3 out of 10 games now and even if i get into a carrier game i pray they don't focus on me or i hope a cruiser with heavy AA will stick with me but in the end I prefer to go the distance, that range does help out alot in my case when i hardly get carrier games now but it's your choice maybe you get more carrier games than i do

It's kind of hard to say.  I would say on average most of my upper tier battles tend to be evenly balanced between CVs present and no CVs present.  About a week ago, I was using New Mexico in battle with 2 CVs per side and I got lit up like a Christmas Tree because both CVs focused on me and I could've desperately used extra AA defenses.  I really am stuck lol

Beta Testers
633 posts
4,854 battles

I run the range increase as new mex has the range of her predecessors, she may hit like a truck up close but so can a fuso at range, so  being able to rain some shells from afar is a good thing as its free damage, and unfortunately from my experience, if a CV wants to throw DB's or TB at you they will, a little extra AA on her C hull may drop one extra plane per wing but you will still take a large risk of a hit.

• Cool 2

[SWAG]
Members
168 posts
16,041 battles

Its all on how you want to play her really, If you are a good shot play back. In my experience at those tiers the lack of range is workable and the high chance of getting a CV makes having really good AA a great benefit.

I agree slak.  AA isn't so vital in the lower tier BBs, but in my experience once you get to Tier V, CVs begin to play a bigger role.  At Tier VI and VII, the load out of the CVs jumps considerably and that when the weak AAs on USN BBs becomes a problem.  When I play a BB (any BB really), I like to use the BBs superior range to fight.  As I learned long ago, wading into the front line of a battle with a BB is virtually suicide.  BBs are great long-range weapons.

Alpha Tester
1,814 posts
1,112 battles

Range, always range. If your enemy outranges you, they can dictate the distance at which they engage you and you will be forced to close the distance in order to start shooting. This will also make their fire more accurate, so you need to bring your gun's range as close to theirs as possible. As for the AA, try to sail alongside a cruiser of tier 6 or more, since they have the defensive fire ability. That is a big help when warding off carrier attacks.

Edited by GeneralPatton1000

[K-P-M]
Members
1,616 posts
18,452 battles

Agreed,I go with AA as well.

[PHU]
Members
67 posts
10,021 battles

The AA module won't be very good in higher tiers as the enemy aircraft will be very hard to shoot down on your own. It will be easier to go with artillery plotting room mod and stick with a cruiser that can at the very least spread out the aircraft with the cruiser's defensive fire ability. Even if you go with the AA mod it won't change whether the carriers attack you or not because you are a mid tier US BB who won't have amazing AA compared to the AA of a North Carolina. At least with the plotting room mod you also get better secondaries along with better range that can make you a good contender in upper tier matches, not to mention it gets you in the game faster. Personally I use the plotting room mod and I wouldn't replace it with AA mod for anything, however the choice is yours.

• Cool 2

[SWAG]
Members
168 posts
16,041 battles

I run the range increase as new mex has the range of her predecessors, she may hit like a truck up close but so can a fuso at range, so  being able to rain some shells from afar is a good thing as its free damage, and unfortunately from my experience, if a CV wants to throw DB's or TB at you they will, a little extra AA on her C hull may drop one extra plane per wing but you will still take a large risk of a hit.

Good point Haruna.  New Mexico is kind of the crossroads for me.  I have the Tier VII Colorado (not fully upgraded mind you) and she has better range than New Mexico.  Her AA defense is spotty at best.  If there is only one CV in the match, then I usually don't worry about it unless it targets me specifically.  If there are 2 CVs, then that's a problem.  Even with the Artillery Plotting Room upgrade, New Mexico's firing range is about as good as the Warspite's range.  But the advantage goes to New Mexico simply because she has more main guns than Warspite (12 vs. 8).  

[SWAG]
Members
168 posts
16,041 battles

The AA module won't be very good in higher tiers as the enemy aircraft will be very hard to shoot down on your own. It will be easier to go with artillery plotting room mod and stick with a cruiser that can at the very least spread out the aircraft with the cruiser's defensive fire ability. Even if you go with the AA mod it won't change whether the carriers attack you or not because you are a mid tier US BB who won't have amazing AA compared to the AA of a North Carolina. At least with the plotting room mod you also get better secondaries along with better range that can make you a good contender in upper tier matches, not to mention it gets you in the game faster. Personally I use the plotting room mod and I wouldn't replace it with AA mod for anything, however the choice is yours.

Thanks for the advice Dmal.  You make very valid points.  All of you have made valid points.  Thanks so much for responding :)

Cheers,

Brian  :)

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

I personally ran AA to excellent effect. I didn't even equip the fire control module until I was about 50k into the C hull. Getting up close and brawling is a lot of fun. I also found that most players will ignore you if you're not actively firing on them. Once you start shooting though, attention will quickly focus to the most dangerous target. It also helps that the ship is so slow the battle is already half over by the time you get there. 

I will admit, having even that 10% boost did help in some cases, but really, the dispersion wasn't great even at whatever the stock max range was, and adding more onto that isn't going to help things.

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

Good point Haruna.  New Mexico is kind of the crossroads for me.  I have the Tier VII Colorado (not fully upgraded mind you) and she has better range than New Mexico.  Her AA defense is spotty at best.  If there is only one CV in the match, then I usually don't worry about it unless it targets me specifically.  If there are 2 CVs, then that's a problem.  Even with the Artillery Plotting Room upgrade, New Mexico's firing range is about as good as the Warspite's range.  But the advantage goes to New Mexico simply because she has more main guns than Warspite (12 vs. 8).  

But dont underestimate a Warspite, as she has higher caliber guns and can still wreck face against angled targets whereas the NM would still be bouncing shells off. I would go with the main gun range mod these days as the AA is too situational.
Edited by RipNuN2

[WOLF9]
Members
4,680 posts

I went with the AA upgrade.- for two reasons:

1)  US BB's have $hitty dispersion at range, NM is no exception.   You also get a spotting plane, for those times when a tad bit more range is desirable.   I can work around a shorter range, most of the time.   Simply throwing shells around at max range is a very low margin game, and it jacks up your repair cost.  (not to mention your blood pressure, watching all those perfectly aimed shots split and straddle your opponent, or go long/short)  This ship is not a particularly good sniper- it does it's best work at med to short range.

2)  I like having good AA.  NM's is pretty decent, once the modules are upgraded.  Add in this upgrade, plus BFT/AFT, and you have a fighting chance to defend yourself from pesky CV's.   I don't know what you got for the 4th slot upgrade, but the rudder shift is extremely valuable in this ship, and really helps deal with TB and DB squadrons.

New Mexico is pretty tanky, too as long as you aren't foolish.

I haven't played mine yet since 5.7 came out.  I should probably have a look at the upgrades again.   Been playing mostly cruisers for the last couple of weeks...

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

To the OP, it really does depend on how you want to play her. 

For myself, I run the arty room mod simply because I don't find the other ones useful enough, and it allows me to take some pot shots at other ships while I get closer, where my dispersion isn't as bad. Also, if you don't already, get the rudder shift mod, that will actually greatly help dodging incoming TBs and such, so the AA isn't as needed because the planes will either drop and miss or spend more time in your AA bubble while trying to re-align for the drop, meaning you'll be able to shoot more down before they drop.

At tier 6, having a longer range does help, even if you have hard times actually hitting anything, because even just incoming rounds can make an enemy think twice about going forward and/or slow their advance. :)

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,325 posts
10,907 battles

Guess I'm the oddball of the bunch here - I'm currently running a secondary build on my New Mexico.:amazed: But then, I've got a 12 pt captain on her with BFT and AFT, so with the appropriate flag I can crank the range up to 6 km or better.

And that's the thing - until you get at least a 10 pt captain on her, specifically with BFT and AFT, that's when an AA build is really going to have an effect - with those skills and the AA module, it will end up with a 65 AA rating (same with Colorado will give you a 81 AA rating). As has been said, it won't stop two higher-tier carriers from focusing and killing you if they're determined - but you can at least make them pay a price for it - especially if you have a fully cranked AA build AND have a cruiser for backup.

And with those eight 5"/25 AA guns, if you REALLY wanted to go whole hog, you could eventually spec Manual AA as well.

What I'd recommend, until such time as you get enough skill points on your captain for a Level 4 skill, and then need to decide whether to go with AFT for a AA/secondary build, or something else, would be to go with something that will give you immediate benefit - APR1 for max gun range. Once you get to the point of picking a Level 4 skill, and have some more time in game with her, then you can elect whether to stay as-is with APR1 or experiment with an AA or secondary build.

In short, APR1 is going to work no matter how many skill points are on your captain - an AA or secondary build are most effective with captains that are up in the 10 pt-plus range and have the complimentary skills to max them out.

I initially ran my NM with APR1, then when the captain was trained up, switched over to an AA build. TBH, for my play style, I was surprised to find that I really didn't miss the added main gun range. Now, given the recent changes to the game and how seldom I run into carriers any more, I've been experimenting with a secondary build on both the NM and Colorado.