You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Skarp_AGW

First Ranked Experience

12 comments in this topic

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,944 battles

This Ranked season is my first. I had just about 500 Random battles under my belt when it started. I had only one Tier VI ship (Aoba), so I set my goal as reaching Rank 15, for the Midway flag. My first 9 battles I went 2-7, and felt very spud-ish. Obviously, I was doing something wrong. Came in here and, amongst the rage quit, and raw angst threads, I found a guide to roles in Ranked (thanks Killjoy1941). I realized, "I was doing it wrong" and reset my priorites, kill DDs, burn down the BBS, and cit broadside CA/CLs, in that order.

I went 52% win rate from there to 15. Not spectacular, but I feel like I turned a corner. In those last 32 games I finished in the top spot six times, three of them saved me a Star.

I had some of the same frustrations as others. I nearly made it to 15 in less than 30 games, Rank 16 w2 Stars, and my team lost by a shoestring. Soooo close. Then got stuck see-sawing back an forth at 16. Watching teamates wandering about the map well out of the fight, and BBs waiting until it was to late to become involved, was enough to set my teeth grinding. But I held my tongue.

However when everything came together, and a team played their roles, it was definitely a thing of beauty.

Got my flag, got enough XP to unlock my Myoko, and enough Free XP to trick it out. Ranked was stressful, but I learned a lot, and became a better team player. Good luck to those that strive onward.

:honoring:

Edited by Skarp_AGW
  • Cool 3

Beta Testers
633 posts
4,854 battles

started ranked about a week ago, currently 5/3 in my new mex. been having a bad time with DD's lately but still pulling out 70-120k damage before going glub glub. i was unaware of the target priority and have been focusing Cruisers to keep my DD's alive, but i think i may switch to the DD BB CA order.

thanks for the tip.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

glad you made some improvement.  there is distinct style of play that is needed in ranked for success due to domination mode and smaller teams.   with current population of 2k players in ranked, about half are in R11-15.     this allows people with better abilities to carry.  it gets tougher at R15, 10 and 5 due to how it is laid out.    

[VX9]
Members
75 posts
11,095 battles

I had to stop with the ranked battles to tier up a class or 2 of boats. It took me about 10 matches to figure out that all DD's must die first (except when I'm in a DD, don't shoot at me!) and theres something special about watching BB's buuuurrrrnnnn... lovely sight. In ca's, oh man, I just get crushed with my US ca's. Usually right after I'm about to put the hurt on a dd, blam! BB takes me out... But Ranked is fun. Too bad we would get pinkatized for blubbing the tool that decides his paint is too fresh to enter battle and they hide as far from the battle as they can...

[SOTA]
Members
852 posts
14,400 battles

Made it to 9, had to stop for a few days, was getting pretty salty from people running off and trying 1 v 1's and dying and costing us more than a few matches.  It is getting better now at least at the higher ranks with people starting to focus on a team win, rather than just protecting their current stars.

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles

Glad I could help. You'll probably find playing in Ranked improves your play in Random as well. It certainly does for me, since it trims away all the lazy habits I pick up in between seasons.

Hopefully next season is tier 8, because you'll love it. Tier 8 is where all the national characteristics start to truly reveal themselves, the roles of each ship type are better defined, the game play is much more cat-and-mouse, and battles are very intense and exciting.

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

Ranked is quite fun, when you get the hang of it.

I maimed my Aoba up to rank 15, and basically played it with the ever-important Hydro ability.

DDs are your priority, but after that, it depends on your ship. For example, while I might advise a Cleveland or Budyonny to aid their teams BBs buly burning down enemy BBs, I'd be trying to kill the enemy cruisers, stressing the firepowe advantage of my 8in guns, which are rabid for citadels. I've seen Nurnbergs do well focusing cruisers as well, BC their AP is good and their HE sucks, but that's just observation, I haven't played the Nurn, Cleve, or Buddy in ranked.

Members
42 posts
4,629 battles

im currently at rank 4 as CA only.  I have high tier dds i just dont use them in ranked.  I was higher ranked last season so i played one game and hit 15 lol

so i dont know they meta for tier 5-6 but the tier 6-7 meta is hard for CA's  there is usually 1-2 bbs on a team they are usually pretty good players and will 100-0 you in 1-2 salvos if you arent carefull

but i like ranked.

I like the rewards i like the ladder and I wish they had it available all the time.

Beta Testers
1,585 posts
4,110 battles

ranked is garbage. 1 win out of 6 games played, supported my team as i should, and die because of it. 

why is it that anytime, in any game mode, when i go to support my team. i get nuked, taking guns off field and losing, not only my rank, but overall damage and WTR. 

not sure what the point of ranked is. its still comepletely RNG based. like when they give us 0 DD and the enemy 2 mutsuki's on a Domination match. 

Edited by Fog_Cruiser_Chikuma

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,944 battles

Glad I could help. You'll probably find playing in Ranked improves your play in Random as well. It certainly does for me, since it trims away all the lazy habits I pick up in between seasons.

Hopefully next season is tier 8, because you'll love it. Tier 8 is where all the national characteristics start to truly reveal themselves, the roles of each ship type are better defined, the game play is much more cat-and-mouse, and battles are very intense and exciting.

Yeah, thanks again. It has helped in Random as well. I am just more aware of the overall situation, and what I need to do to help.

Looking forward to two of the Tier VIII ships, Hipper, and Mogami. It might take me a long time to finish grinding up to the Hipper... my experience in the German cruisers has been humbling. I should be in a better position to compete next time.

[-AGW-]
Members
685 posts
3,944 battles

...I'd be trying to kill the enemy cruisers, stressing the firepowe advantage of my 8in guns, which are rabid for citadels. I've seen Nurnbergs do well focusing cruisers as well, BC their AP is good and their HE sucks, but that's just observation, I haven't played the Nurn, Cleve, or Buddy in ranked.

I did use the 203s to good advantage, when a CA presented their side. I had an 8 cit game including a triple cit on a Budyonny that took him down to a sliver of life (soon shuffed by a Nurnberg). The Aoba is a pretty sweet ship, fast, hard hitting, and good looking.  The torps came in handy several times as well.

The wins were really fun, especially if I felt I made a solid contribution.

Edited by Skarp_AGW

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles

Yeah, thanks again. It has helped in Random as well. I am just more aware of the overall situation, and what I need to do to help.

Looking forward to two of the Tier VIII ships, Hipper, and Mogami. It might take me a long time to finish grinding up to the Hipper... my experience in the German cruisers has been humbling. I should be in a better position to compete next time.

Modest goals are good. You now have a feel for it and will start a bit higher on the tree. If next season is indeed tier 8 and you intend to play Mogami, give Atago some serious thought. A lot of fuss gets made about her RP consumable, but it's arguably less important in Ranked because cruisers almost always die to citadel hits. What is important is her premium status. If you were to go all the way next season in a premium, you'd walk away with tens of millions in credits for new ships you intend to get.