Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Triela50

A real off topic question

15 comments in this topic

[SOLOH]
[SOLOH]
Beta Testers
4,320 posts

I want to give my sister a Chef knife set as a birthday gift but I heard it was bad luck to give a knife as a gift is this true? If it is is there a way around the bad luck?

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

That's dependant on how apt your sister is to stab you with said knife. Generally you don't get knives, appliances or things like that unless a woman specifically asked for it or so i've been told. :hiding:

[SOLOH]
[SOLOH]
Beta Testers
4,320 posts

That's dependant on how apt your sister is to stab you with said knife.

Well that isn't nice

Wiki Editor
344 posts
19,236 battles

That was sooo of topic i actually had to use the Dr. Google.   apaprently, superstitions about knive gifting exist. (not here in the USA  - (we brings guns to knive events)..  a"From China to Europe, the superstition is that a gifted knife will "cut the friendship" between giver and receiver, or that it will cut the gift recipient... unless they do one thing.The giver of a knife, according to many traditions and superstitions, should only offer a knife with a penny attached, which the recipient promptly gives back to the giver as a "payment" for the knife, thereby preserving their relationship (and fingers). http://www.thekitchn.com/are-you-too-superstitious-to-gift-knives-198037

[JAGDA]
Beta Testers
245 posts
3,393 battles

I've received quite a few knives as gifts. Chef, Santoku, Paring, Pocket, Hunting and others. I don't recall having any bad luck, at least not more than usual. 

What kind are you getting her? I got a small set of Hammer Stahl knives recently, (Santoku, Chef, and a diamond steel.) and they're gorgeous. 

[KITSU]
Beta Testers
741 posts
3,879 battles

Here in Texas, you can give a knife as a gift but they person you give it to gives you a penny so the friendship isn't cut. 

0 posts

That was sooo of topic i actually had to use the Dr. Google.   apaprently, superstitions about knive gifting exist. (not here in the USA  - (we brings guns to knive events)..  a"From China to Europe, the superstition is that a gifted knife will "cut the friendship" between giver and receiver, or that it will cut the gift recipient... unless they do one thing.The giver of a knife, according to many traditions and superstitions, should only offer a knife with a penny attached, which the recipient promptly gives back to the giver as a "payment" for the knife, thereby preserving their relationship (and fingers). http://www.thekitchn.com/are-you-too-superstitious-to-gift-knives-198037

While I personally don't believe in superstition, if you really wish to get past the bad luck, go with this idea if you really want to give your Sister the gift. 

[WOLFG]
Members
4,300 posts

Now that I think about it, I was given a knife as a gift two years ago and less than a month later I had spinal disc herniation and was in pain for the longest time. A huge coincidence I'm sure, until this very instant I never knew knife gifts were bad omens. Oh I love superstitions

[SOLOH]
[SOLOH]
Beta Testers
4,320 posts

I've received quite a few knives as gifts. Chef, Santoku, Paring, Pocket, Hunting and others. I don't recall having any bad luck, at least not more than usual. 

What kind are you getting her? I got a small set of Hammer Stahl knives recently, (Santoku, Chef, and a diamond steel.) and they're gorgeous. 

Wusthof Classic 6-Piece Chef knife set

I'm with macabe, you don't buy someone a knife unless they ask for it. 

She really needs some good kitchen knives 

[JAGDA]
Beta Testers
245 posts
3,393 battles

Wusthof Classic 6-Piece Chef knife set

She really needs some good kitchen knives 

Good choice. Wusthoff makes quality knives, I've had a paring knife set from them for what must be going on ten years now.

[SOTA]
Members
852 posts
14,400 battles

Are they for her home or is she an aspiring chef?  Wusthoff are good knives, but if she is going to be a chef, I'd get her a set of Cutco as they stay sharp forever under heavy use (have had mine for over 30 years now and still razor sharp).  

And yes, always attach a penny (head showing).  :coin:

Members
109 posts
2,701 battles

I've been working in resto kitchens for 50 yrs now (yeah, I know I ain't no young chicken but hey....I'm the Chef now so I don't have to move around so much...hi,hi,hi), and I still have my 14'',wood handle with copper tied Victorinox. I still have the first thread  on the blade, so, yep, their verrry good (well, that's my humble opinion).

Oh and, for the gift?  Around here we ask the giftee a penny in exchange for the gift.  If not, you got yourself a brand new knife...you leave with it...no rainchecks

Bye and have fun!!!!!

Chef

Beta Testers
297 posts
3,568 battles

I've been working in resto kitchens for 50 yrs now (yeah, I know I ain't no young chicken but hey....I'm the Chef now so I don't have to move around so much...hi,hi,hi), and I still have my 14'',wood handle with copper tied Victorinox. I still have the first thread  on the blade, so, yep, their verrry good (well, that's my humble opinion).

Oh and, for the gift?  Around here we ask the giftee a penny in exchange for the gift.  If not, you got yourself a brand new knife...you leave with it...no rainchecks

Bye and have fun!!!!!

Chef

I'm a Chef as well :D nice to hear been it it 11 year's now also i don't think its bad luck to give a knife every job ive had always gotten a knife ,Whiskey,Party,Gift card so not bad luck im still working lol

Sign in to follow this