Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SandraSmiles

Gnevny Has Me Dumbfounded

27 comments in this topic

Members
3,014 posts

I can't pinpoint the constant human error I'm making with this boat.

To give the reader some back drop, I took an interest in the VMF destroyers since I had a rewarding experience with the Blyskawica in randoms.

I looked at Gnevny and Kiev, watched videos on the Kiev, and the desires were fanned.

So I researched up to Kiev and bought Gnevny, moved a 6pt Svietlana commander and gave her a go in coop.

Found there wasn't any way of firing without being seen....descent speeds- I did not opt for the faster turret. 

I later moved my 12 pt Kirov commander (AFT) over and retested.

Results were nothing to gloat over.  

I thought maybe if I just treated her like a very fast gunboat first, worry about ambush as a 2nd objective.

This strategy didn't work as well as expected either.

I did manage a few citadels and dropped a few planes, it was stupid o'clock in the late wee am hours when I decided to give the VMF a go.

Got into a session w/a fellow Kiev, and we both darted towards the A cap across the map at the start.  He was taken out 90 seconds into the match.  I killed his aggressor and then I was deleted 120 seconds after the Kiev was taken out.

All this still in coop and the enemy was thick and accurate with their firing on me.  Steering/Engine knocked out...

So I lay smoke while coasting...engage repairs...then proceed to scram out of there w/little HP left to carry me through.

Fired on a cruiser, then taken out.

No I haven't sold her.  She's gorgeous.  But what are the successful Gnevny skippers doing if ya'll don't mind sharing.

Stronk Thanks !

Edited by OnTheHouse

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

Gnevny...

Hmm... As best as I can describe, you gotta focus on you strengths.

You're fast, you're guns are great in everything but RoF(which is why you do NOT sacrifice any more RoF to turret traverse), and your torpedoes are fast.

Another word on torpedoes.

Forget then for most of the time.

They're useless BC of their range against large ships.

What you want to be doing is engaging at ranges where American DDs have trouble hitting you due to rainbow arcs, while you don't. Once they die, Japanese DDs are easy to slaughter.

If you're going to cap, which she's good at, use your great speed(always take speed flag), and maybe use the boost if you think you can get their early enough, get in the cap, and start smoking. Use this great guns to hurl 130mm shells at whatever you can.

Broadside cruiser? Asking for a citadel.

Maybe it's just the AI in cio-op that hurts Russian DDs...

I dunno, they usually work great in regular games.

Just keep in mind, if you fire, you're likely to be spotted. You can't help it.

Don't be afraid to alter course, even if it throws off your slow-turning guns. It will save your life.

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

I didn't like Gnevny too much.

I think it requires a very different captain build, or at least ship build, when compared to Ognevoi and up.

As in, try and get your turrets rotating faster with EM and/or MBM2 and don't worry too much about getting AFT, because you actually have pretty good base range for a T5 DD.

Edited by MrDeaf

[A-D-F]
Members
7,877 posts
43,474 battles

Gnevny's main shortcoming are the slow turrets. One ship that really needs EM.

It is not a bad ship and better than Ognevoi (T5), but worse than the sister ships Gremy (T5), and Anshan (T6).

Good guns, good speed, concealment is the standard RU bad concealment. Torpedoes? Forget RU torpedoes till Tashkent.

Edited by alexf24

[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
3,804 posts
6,762 battles

The Gnevy is worse than the izyaslav, in my opinion, and the Ognevoi isn't much better after the Gnevy.

Run the following skills:

SA, BFT

EM, LS

SI

AFT, then DE.

Keep moving, keep dodging, keep shooting.

Thats what RUS Gunboats do.

Edited by aether_tech

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

Gnevny is just awful. Her turret traverse makes her nearly unplayable, because you can't turn while, at all. But if a ship's attention isn't on you can poke at them. But the same holds true for literally any ship in the game.

[JAGDA]
Beta Testers
245 posts
3,393 battles

I have an 11 point captain on mine. Situational Awareness, BFT, Expert Marksman, High Alert, and AFT. I'll go ahead and get Concealment expert as my five point skill when I can afford it. 

Advice? Pay attention to your concealment. You can invisi-fire for about a kilometer and a half past 11 KM with my build (Before CE)  if I remember correctly, I'm retraining her on Ognevoi right now and it's been awhile since I've played with her at full capacity because I'm being slow about it. As others have said, the AP is strong. Regular citadels on side on cruisers, and heavy damage into BB superstructures are par for the course with these ships. If there are enemy ships being spotted, pop a smoke and sit in it, preferably a little past and to the side of your own lines so you get a good firing solution on advancing enemy ships. Use your torpedoes defensively and in knife fights with other destroyers. Or, if you're un-spotted, you can fire them out of range and use them to force enemies to turn if they don't know the torpedoes are going to stop short. If you're the farthest ahead and can't utilize smoke, play around in the islands, find a few that you can scoot between in a very short amount of time and just harry the enemy, popping in and out with a few shots after they've moved their attention elsewhere. At the very least you'll have them sitting waiting for you to come out, (And not firing at other ships) or you'll be able to inflict some heavy damage as they present their sides.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,630 posts
5,107 battles

Gnevny is just awful. Her turret traverse makes her nearly unplayable, because you can't turn while, at all. But if a ship's attention isn't on you can poke at them. But the same holds true for literally any ship in the game.

Gnevny being my best ship tier for tier begs to differ with you XD

Gnevny is a good little ankle biter. Your main concern is this: At range, keep firing all day, every day, you're loud and proud. Use smoke as an offensive weapon in the middle of combat where things are seen for you by your allies. Poke at the big guys, remain on the move more than half of the time, use your mobility and don't worry about your turret traverse too much, you can turn your ship body back to the previous angle to get them back on point. Remember to stay at range, your priorities are this:

1.) Stay at range and bite first.

2.) Hunt DDs in the early game but don't prioritize them so much that you forget to support your team.

3.) Cap last. You don't have the IJN and USN detection ranges to contest caps in the first part of the match. Save that for the last part.

4.) Profit

~Hunter

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

Gnevny is a good little ankle biter. Your main concern is this: At range, keep firing all day, every day, you're loud and proud. Use smoke as an offensive weapon in the middle of combat where things are seen for you by your allies. Poke at the big guys, remain on the move more than half of the time, use your mobility and don't worry about your turret traverse too much, you can turn your ship body back to the previous angle to get them back on point. Remember to stay at range, your priorities are this:

2.) Hunt DDs in the early game but don't prioritize them so much that you forget to support your team.

3.) Cap last. You don't have the IJN and USN detection ranges to contest caps in the first part of the match. Save that for the last part.

4.) Profit

~Hunter

I struggle even to kill enemy DDs in it. Granted I CAN 1v1 them, but say and enemy cruisers catches on and starts flinging heat my way, if I turn, that means i'm sacrificing any kind of ability to retaliate, and i'm forced to just flee and get undetected. This scenario holds true if I need to turn for any reason, like if the enemy DD has fish in the water, like the oh so often do.

Members
1,101 posts
21,806 battles

In pve all bots run for  DD and start shoot at DD (even from 16km away with super aim from tier 5 upward)  until you are dead. Then they fight normally. Use island cover and smoke. 

Edited by Mikebello

Members
3,014 posts

I didn't like Gnevny too much.

I think it requires a very different captain build, or at least ship build, when compared to Ognevoi and up.

As in, try and get your turrets rotating faster with EM and/or MBM2 and don't worry too much about getting AFT, because you actually have pretty good base range for a T5 DD.

The Gnevy is worse than the izyaslav, in my opinion, and the Ognevoi isn't much better after the Gnevy.

Run the following skills:

SA, BFT

EM, LS

SI

AFT, then DE.

Keep moving, keep dodging, keep shooting.

Thats what RUS Gunboats do.

I have an 11 point captain on mine. Situational Awareness, BFT, Expert Marksman, High Alert, and AFT. I'll go ahead and get Concealment expert as my five point skill when I can afford it. 

Advice? Pay attention to your concealment. You can invisi-fire for about a kilometer and a half past 11 KM with my build (Before CE)  if I remember correctly, I'm retraining her on Ognevoi right now and it's been awhile since I've played with her at full capacity because I'm being slow about it. As others have said, the AP is strong. Regular citadels on side on cruisers, and heavy damage into BB superstructures are par for the course with these ships. If there are enemy ships being spotted, pop a smoke and sit in it, preferably a little past and to the side of your own lines so you get a good firing solution on advancing enemy ships. Use your torpedoes defensively and in knife fights with other destroyers. Or, if you're un-spotted, you can fire them out of range and use them to force enemies to turn if they don't know the torpedoes are going to stop short. If you're the farthest ahead and can't utilize smoke, play around in the islands, find a few that you can scoot between in a very short amount of time and just harry the enemy, popping in and out with a few shots after they've moved their attention elsewhere. At the very least you'll have them sitting waiting for you to come out, (And not firing at other ships) or you'll be able to inflict some heavy damage as they present their sides.

4.) Profit

~Hunter

That's my take on it, although, at first I tried early capping and smoking.  But it was coop-

I struggle even to kill enemy DDs in it. Granted I CAN 1v1 them, but say and enemy cruisers catches on and starts flinging heat my way, if I turn, that means i'm sacrificing any kind of ability to retaliate, and i'm forced to just flee and get undetected. This scenario holds true if I need to turn for any reason, like if the enemy DD has fish in the water, like the oh so often do.

This is my experience as well, albeit in coop...but as we've discussed, coop AI can exhibit uncanny teamwork and accuracy on their selected enemy.

I run the following-
EL, BFT, [edited], SA
EM
HA
AFT

Members
1,101 posts
21,806 battles

Lure bot behind an island and torp them. If teamate are smart will follow you and hit bots crazy with DD aggro ;)

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,189 posts
30,938 battles

Well, the OP is talking co-op, which I haven't tried since 2015.  Gnevny is my favorite Tier V ship in general.  The guns are good, bullish against anything.  As Tier V, she faces similar tiered CLs, of course, but in the game, these are the worst protected Cruisers in the game, and if you see things like Kuma, Tenryu in gun range, you can citadel them from even around 11km with the right angle.  I will agree however that turret traverse is mediocre.

With a 3 pt captain, I'd go SA and EM (help on turret traverse issue), which is traditional.  AFT a high priority.  If you're bold, you can skip SA for BFT to offset the ROF penalty from MBM2 but that may make playing the "invisifire" game a bit trickier for some.

Upgrades?  MBM1, MBM2 at least.  MBM2 with EM will help on the turret traverse.

Gnevny also has this little ability to "invisifire."

With camo to reduce detection by 3%.

AFT to bring Gun Range to 14.3km; that is huge for Tier V DDs, especially with shell behavior for Russian DDs.

6.8km surface detection range.

12.7km detection range after firing main guns.

You have a 1.6km window for invisifiring with a max gun range of 14.3km with AFT.  With 38kts max speed, this gun capability, she's dangerous for Tier V.

I've said before elsewhere, Russian DDs live and die by their guns.  Gnevny has excellent ones for what she fights against.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Beta Testers
3,000 posts
4,522 battles

In pve all bots run for  DD and start shoot at DD (even from 16km away with super aim from tier 5 upward)  until you are dead. Then they fight normally. Use island cover and smoke. 

It is CVs first and foremost. Then DDs. But yeah. Unlike normal players who may forget you were there in their tunnel vision. The entire enemy team in range will shift target priorities to CVs, then you.

Also they are better shots than the average player.

[A-D-F]
Members
7,877 posts
43,474 battles

Problem with DDs in Coop, esp. <T6, is the Bots target DDs, and focus fire. I have an easier time usually in PvP with DDs at that level. People have not learned the value of killing DDs early. Bots do.

I sold my Gnenvy when I got Anshan. Sold Ognevoi as soon a s I could go past it.

Members
1,101 posts
21,806 battles

Usually cv stay back and DD forward. In Pve  ,usually, bots are all sunk  before they will find cv :)

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,885 posts
21,773 battles

Well first off don't play DDs in co-op.

Actual players aim worse.

sadly this is true!:teethhappy:
  • Cool 1

Members
3,014 posts

I appreciate the advice.  I won't throw the towel in.

Keeping my sights on th Kiev.  Thanks to the Blyskawica for this headache!

Below are typical outcomes with a few randoms- again, nothing to gloat over

http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/cumelter/media/Gnevny/shot-16.06.25_06.39.42-0366_zpsye572yda.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

shot-16.06.25_06.39.42-0366_zpsye572yda.

[JAGDA]
Beta Testers
245 posts
3,393 battles

shot-16.06.25_06.39.42-0366_zpsye572yda.

That can't be right at all. That's way too little exp for a result like that. Especially with the base captures. :amazed: Are you under some kind of a penalty?

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

That can't be right at all. That's way too little exp for a result like that. Especially with the base captures. :amazed: Are you under some kind of a penalty?

He's playing co-op.

Members
3,014 posts

That snapshot above was the result of a coop session...if memory serves, it was my best coop in the Gnevny

Beta Testers
783 posts
4,031 battles

OP don't sweat it. Russian DDs are god-awful. They are for hanging out with the friendly group while hosing enemies for ping damage and hoping to catch something on fire with repair down. The Udaloi and Kharb are decent fire hoses due to their amount of fire and range.

Since high tier IJN destroyers have been nerfed to oblivion the only DD game in town is the USN which put out much more damage, have better stealth and vastly better torps than Russian DDs, but they aren't as good fire hoses due to lack of range.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,189 posts
30,938 battles

OP don't sweat it. Russian DDs are god-awful. They are for hanging out with the friendly group while hosing enemies for ping damage and hoping to catch something on fire with repair down. The Udaloi and Kharb are decent fire hoses due to their amount of fire and range.

Since high tier IJN destroyers have been nerfed to oblivion the only DD game in town is the USN which put out much more damage, have better stealth and vastly better torps than Russian DDs, but they aren't as good fire hoses due to lack of range.

Sorry man, just because you're incompetent with Russian DDs doesn't make them bad.

Sign in to follow this