You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sinboto

About the old scout planes

16 comments in this topic

[SVER]
Beta Testers
3,810 posts
10,039 battles

I'm not sure if anyone remembers those old scout planes that you could launch and would zip around the map randomly but perhaps we could get those back as an alternative to the ones we have now on BBs? I used to like using mine and it saved my bacon a few times, maybe even let us send it to scout a certain area, would give our AA guns something to shoot too. 

• Cool 1

[PSV]
Privateers
5,523 posts
6,129 battles

I like bacon, can I eat yours? Much likes will be appreciated :B

• Cool 1

[SVER]
Beta Testers
3,810 posts
10,039 battles

I like bacon, can I eat yours? Much likes will be appreciated :B

If a man gives you his bacon that means he loves you above all else, sorry to say but I don't feel for you that way... 
  • Cool 2

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

I think it's weird how they work now. Send up a plane increases your max firing range..? Not that any of the guns in this game get their historical range anyways.

Beta Testers
577 posts
18,906 battles

You mean give BBs the chance to spot destroyers outside of torpedo range?

What kind of sick heretic are you?:trollface:

Beta Testers
2,589 posts
8,799 battles

I think it's weird how they work now. Send up a plane increases your max firing range..? Not that any of the guns in this game get their historical range anyways.

That's kinda the way it worked IRL. Let you shoot over the horizon and try to hit things. 

And they need to do something about that ridiculous cooldown on spotters.... 

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

That's kinda the way it worked IRL. Let you shoot over the horizon and try to hit things.

And they need to do something about that ridiculous cooldown on spotters....

So we can both agree that BB should be able to leave the map and fire over the horizon? :trollface:

Also I do agree, most BBs can't even launch all their spotters without having several shot down.

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

I kind of gave up on mine... It messes up my aiming points, and I can't hit anything.

The only thing it affects in terms of aiming is how you judge your vertical lead. Which isn't too hard in my opinion. Just take a rough guess at where you think they'll be in your given ships shell travel time.

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

I don't have much BB experience, literally the most powerful BB I've played(not counting the April fools space ships) is the ARP Kirishima, and I find the spotter actually easier to aim.

I mean, tbh, I'd rather spotters work the way they used to.

They usually had tondly over the target in order to direct fire, no loiter above their own ship XD

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,947 battles

Guns in the game fire out to their effective range, not their maximum range. Putting up an artillery spotting plane increases that effective range because you have a fairy in the cockpit that radios telemetry to your fire directors, increasing long range accuracy to something other than "piss-poor" at extended ranges.

What we have in the game is not a scout plane, it's an artillery spotting aircraft. The other option is a defensive catapult fighter.

Aircraft that are missing: Scouting seaplanes, catapult bombers.

Edited by Destroyer_Kiyoshimo

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,325 posts
10,907 battles

Guns in the game fire out to their effective range, not their maximum range. Putting up an artillery spotting plane increases that effective range because you have a fairy in the cockpit that radios telemetry to your fire directors, increasing long range accuracy to something other than "piss-poor" at extended ranges.

"Fairy in the cockpit", commonly referred to as an "Airedale".:trollface:

Beta Testers
3,072 posts
1,908 battles

I too want the old scout planes back.

I would like for the ability to control your scout plane to come back to. Be nice if the CV wasn't the only person who could scout or if I could park my scout plane over somewhere I know a DD is hiding to keep him lit up. Only thing is playing a DD would get much much harder maybe even impossible if every ship with a plane could park it over them.

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

the only time i make sure i use them is directly before death...

as I find the the dead ship scout/fighter the most annoying thing in the world when I'm playing DD.

Edited by slak__