Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Capitan_Incognito

Ramming damage

13 comments in this topic

Members
410 posts
7,940 battles

So, I thought this was always max HP of ship to the enemy ship, but I just had an amazing game where a CV who had run out of planes rammed me and seemed to do hardly any damage. (Also that game was so amazing. 6 kills, only 2 from main battery guns.)

I wasted a lot of time trying to run away from a CV, I should have just rammed apparently. He got under my main guns and I dodged a few ram attempts, but my secondaries weren't finishing him (though I racked up 40k in secondary damage) and he moved at 31.5 knots to my 23 :( 

Members
410 posts
7,940 battles

Ah, he hit me and I barely noticed, didn't even get Dreadnaught this game. It wasn't head on though, I wonder if the angle matters? (I dodged him as he came up from behind, but he just swerved into me so it was kind of a side hit.)

[B_O_W]
Members
432 posts
6,818 battles

Damage saturation takes place when ramming. You do your entire HP as damage to the section you ram, + some type of splash damage.  Therefore due to damage saturation effects on ships (where you ship can only take a total % of your damage in a given section then it does not take any more off your HP pool for further damage to that section) if you are in a long ship such as a Yamato you can ram a ship (such as a Montana) from your nose and still live when if you hit on your side you would sink as your total HP remaining was less then their total HP pool.

I have done this successfully a few times before in my Yamato and once in another ship some time back.

[B_O_W]
Members
432 posts
6,818 battles

Ah, he hit me and I barely noticed, didn't even get Dreadnaught this game. It wasn't head on though, I wonder if the angle matters? (I dodged him as he came up from behind, but he just swerved into me so it was kind of a side hit.)

I have never seen a hit that you barely notice, the best one I have seen was around 20% of someone's HP pool.  This is interesting, I will have to test further.

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,878 battles

I rammed a New York with my ARP Haruna...  It died.  I SURVIVED..  ??

Quickly hit 'R' and 'T' to stop the flooding.

[LEAK]
Beta Testers
1,686 posts
209 battles

Damage saturation takes place when ramming. You do your entire HP as damage to the section you ram, + some type of splash damage.  Therefore due to damage saturation effects on ships (where you ship can only take a total % of your damage in a given section then it does not take any more off your HP pool for further damage to that section) if you are in a long ship such as a Yamato you can ram a ship (such as a Montana) from your nose and still live when if you hit on your side you would sink as your total HP remaining was less then their total HP pool.

I have done this successfully a few times before in my Yamato and once in another ship some time back.

Damage applied by ramming is dealt to ship's universal HP pool rather than to a ship's section. Therefore, damage saturation plays no part in ramming.

[B_O_W]
Members
432 posts
6,818 battles

Damage applied by ramming is dealt to ship's universal HP pool rather than to a ship's section. Therefore, damage saturation plays no part in ramming.

I thought so too, however I have tested this to not be the case at all times.  I will upload a replay for your evaluation tomorrow and post here with the link when I do.

I may be wrong about this all, however I have seen my ship take roughly 1/2 of the damage I should have taken after ramming with my nose and it is the only explanation I have for it.

:)

Edited by DocVulcan

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

I rammed a New York with my ARP Haruna...  It died.  I SURVIVED..  ??

Quickly hit 'R' and 'T' to stop the flooding.

Well Kongo has more health?
  • Cool 1

[AOH]
Members
984 posts
7,157 battles

Well Kongo has more health?

53k I think.

Which, ironically, is 3k more than my Colorado.

Edited by Wepps
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,878 battles

ARP Kongo has 54,100 HP

Doesn't matter if the hull is researched or not -- thought of that too.  Same on the Haruna and Kirishima

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

I have never seen a hit that you barely notice, the best one I have seen was around 20% of someone's HP pool.  This is interesting, I will have to test further.

Yeah how do you not notice getting a kill, losing a massive chunk of your HP, and flooding..? Lol.

Sign in to follow this