You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JamesSinks

Want to LOSE a Ranked battle? Get your forces scattered all over the map

9 comments in this topic

Members
184 posts
2,853 battles

I wish they'd let us play some kind of prearranged teams in Ranked. I am sick of being in Ranked battles we were going to win on points or had a 2 or 3 ship advantage to see certain victory squandered away by people taking off on their own. I guess they think "We've got this won. I'm gonna go get me some XP by torping or capping". I just played back to back battles like that. We were going to win, then got all split up, and lost. I don't always like the plan to start off with but I agree with it to help keep us all together. Look at your battles. You will see the team that stays together for the most part and gives each other supporting fire invariably wins. Lone wolves get pummeled by 3, 4, maybe 5 ships and quickly killed. Want to WIN a Ranked battle? It's simple. Stick together. They are small teams and a one ship loss means a lot.

Members
1,022 posts
13,341 battles

ranked is about that hard carry and working with others :)  but i had one game where i killed 5 and still lost,  still remember that

• Cool 1

[PSV]
Privateers
5,523 posts
6,129 battles

You mean Team Battles? Those were quite a while ago :) , and I think you just missed them with the start of this season's ranked 

[-KIA-]
Senior Volunteer Moderator, Beta Testers, Supertester, Privateers, Senior Volunteer Moderator
6,550 posts
8,491 battles

Ranked battles - The gametype that fills you with rage at the stupidity of your teammates.

[SALVO]
Members
28,059 posts
41,711 battles

It's annoying when all but one guy on the team agrees to go to A.  But then that one guy that thinks the team should have gone to B refuses to go with the rest of the team and goes rogue and goes to B anyways.

And sometimes to make matters worse, most of the rest of the team that agreed to go to A then follows the rogue to B, except for the one BB who is on the far side of the formation and reached a point of no return where he couldn't just turn 90* and cut across to catch up to his team mates without exposing himself for a few minutes.  Instead, he has to make a 180* turn to retreat and try to catch up with the others by running behind an island, all the time having his guns completely out of action.  And to make matters even worse, the enemy is able to intercept him and cut him off from the rest of the team.

The lesson is simple.

A.  Stick together.

B.  Even if you don't like the plan the rest of the team agreed to, go with it and stick together with the rest of the team, rather than going rogue, and risking all manner of bad things and probably screwing your team over and losing.

C.  Just because you think that the plan the rest of the team agreed to isn't a good one, a weak plan where everyone sticks together is better than a "good" plan where the team gets spread out and is unable to support each other.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
28,059 posts
41,711 battles

I wish they'd let us play some kind of prearranged teams in Ranked. I am sick of being in Ranked battles we were going to win on points or had a 2 or 3 ship advantage to see certain victory squandered away by people taking off on their own. I guess they think "We've got this won. I'm gonna go get me some XP by torping or capping". I just played back to back battles like that. We were going to win, then got all split up, and lost. I don't always like the plan to start off with but I agree with it to help keep us all together. Look at your battles. You will see the team that stays together for the most part and gives each other supporting fire invariably wins. Lone wolves get pummeled by 3, 4, maybe 5 ships and quickly killed. Want to WIN a Ranked battle? It's simple. Stick together. They are small teams and a one ship loss means a lot.

Ranked battles is about INDIVIDUAL achievement  and your ability to work together with 6 strangers, not about forming up stacked teams of unicums.  The latter is team battles, and in WoT tournaments and clan wars, etc.

I agree that it's annoying as hell playing with idiots.  I'm not even talking about players who aren't that good, and can't make shots, etc.  I'm talking about players who do totally stupid things that have nothing to do with talent per se, but with the ability to play intelligently and be able to put the common good of winning ahead of greedy little individual concerns, like grabbing a few more XP by chasing down some CV on the back row, or leaving cap to chase some extra damage or a kill, or going rogue right at the start rather than sticking together.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,954 posts
45,059 battles

One plan fails every time:  "You 3 go to A and we'll go to C."  If you stick together - with the possible exception of a DD scouting the other cap - your chances of winning go up dramatically.

It also is maddening when everyone agrees to go to B, I go full speed toward B in my DD only to realize that the cruisers and BBs have bunched up about 7 clicks back... preferably blocked from supporting me by an island.

[SALVO]
Members
28,059 posts
41,711 battles

One plan fails every time:  "You 3 go to A and we'll go to C."  If you stick together - with the possible exception of a DD scouting the other cap - your chances of winning go up dramatically.

It also is maddening when everyone agrees to go to B, I go full speed toward B in my DD only to realize that the cruisers and BBs have bunched up about 7 clicks back... preferably blocked from supporting me by an island.

Well, just to be fair, those BBs and CA's hardly want to go charging blindly into a cap and run headlong into a bunch of torpedoes.  That's why they're hanging back.  I will agree that if they're blocked from supporting you by an island, they're doing a bad job of supporting you.  OTOH (!!!), perhaps you should pay attention to the ships following you, and if you can see that you're getting too far ahead of them (tier 7 BB's are kind of slow) and may end up behind an island for a little time just as you would get to the cap, maybe you should rethink charging into that cap and give them time to to get into a better position.

This situation sounds a lot like Fault Line where there are a number of tall islands that can block fire lanes, if the supporting ships don't take the most direct route into the middle area of the map where the 2 caps are.

Members
184 posts
2,853 battles

The lesson is simple.

A.  Stick together.

B.  Even if you don't like the plan the rest of the team agreed to, go with it and stick together with the rest of the team, rather than going rogue, and risking all manner of bad things and probably screwing your team over and losing.

Was in one a while ago with only two caps, A and B.. At first most everyone agreed to go to A. We head for A. Then see the other team already almost on A so we all turn for B. Except one cruiser. After a couple of minutes I called him out in comms to come back with us. But he continued on and was soon killed. THEN he gets in comms all pissed off and starts calling us "M**********rs" and "c**ts" and dumb asses for not sticking to the original plan when he could see everybody else turned and I had even signaled him in comms. Some people are just that hard headed.