Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Shadowrigger1

Donskoi

27 comments in this topic

Members
4,533 posts
18,504 battles

I need some serious help with this ship,  I can't believe how horrible this thing is.  This is the most miserable ship at T9 for me. No matter what I do, what angle I am at, what range I am at,  I lose 30k HP in 1 blast.  The thing turns worse than a BB, has worse detection than a BB, has NO Hp like a BB, and the Range is nothing to be jumping for joy at.

HOW Do you play this thing ?

This explains it all :ohmy:

QNJn31d.jpg

Edited by Shadowrigger1
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

Maybe try upgrading the thing first. Unfortunately I don't have it so I can't tell you "how to git gud" in it.

Members
4,533 posts
18,504 battles

Maybe try upgrading the thing first. Unfortunately I don't have it so I can't tell you "how to git gud" in it.

Only thing missing is the C hull

[PSV]
Privateers
5,523 posts
6,129 battles

6666 Extra hellish I see :teethhappy:

I think it would be played like a Kirov at tier 9 - no armor / super squishy, but very good guns.

[IPWA]
Beta Testers
452 posts
7,032 battles

Stay at the edge of your range, and roll with the fleet. I learned this the hard way with the Indianapolis. Often I spend 2-3 minutes at the beginning of the game doing nothing going at 16knots near my BBs to wait for them to get into range. Then, when the enemy is busy shooting the BBs, I start shooting. If the enemy starts shooting me, I turn and run until they stop, then I return to the battle-line and continue to shoot. I imagine the Russian cruisers would do the same thing with better range and better shell velocity than the Indianapolis. In fact, I think all cruisers are able to play like that.

[IPWA]
Members
46 posts
6,837 battles

I am on Moskva, and I feel like Russian cas are good and bad, just like any other line. Moskva has better armour, slightly. Although its guns are great. Back to donoskoi, its a good ship, but never show your broadside (reverse is better) and the torps aren't great, not worth close range most times. Thanks!

Members
120 posts
6,376 battles

As RumbingMouse put it, stay with your fleet.  You are excellent at sniping cruisers from range with the flat trajectory of your shells, but you will get wrecked if you are fired upon by BB's.  Notice how I didn't preface your susceptibility from BB fire by saying to angle, because you simply cannot bounce BB shells from with the ship with any regularity.

With a 15pt captain, you can get the detection range down to about 12.5 km or so, which isn't bad, but be very careful in your engagements.  

[TIKI_]
Beta Testers
504 posts
6,457 battles

i have the ship researched and i have enough credits to buy it, but i'm not certain i would play it, simply because i love the Roon so much.  Torn about the grind to the Moskva . . .

That said, what's the point of the C Hull on the Donskoi?  3.4 MM credits to lose 4 AA mounts?  I'm i missing something?

[WOLF2]
Members
399 posts
10,987 battles

i have the ship researched and i have enough credits to buy it, but i'm not certain i would play it, simply because i love the Roon so much.  Torn about the grind to the Moskva . . .

That said, what's the point of the C Hull on the Donskoi?  3.4 MM credits to lose 4 AA mounts?  I'm i missing something?

I have no idea and have been wondering the same thing, I see no reason for the C hull, is there some secret thing I'm missing?

But yes, stay back near max range wait for an opportunity to close in (if you get one), I prefer to stay speed with WASD hack activated, I usually use HE, been racking up witherer medals in it, only 23 games in it so far.

I'd take the Donskoi over the Baltimore every day all day, that is still last place as far as tier 9 CA's go imo. 

Members
1,533 posts
12,151 battles

I just bought the Donskoi myself, with a pretty mediocre start myself, but it's not upgraded and still learning. Anyone in the know, or purchased it, want to enlighten us about that C hull? Maybe it adds some more maneuverability to the ship?

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
29 posts
17,837 battles

2nd day with this ship, holy its a monster

I never thought much of it going against it but playing its pretty damn good, I now realize what people say when they say rail guns, I thought the zao had rail'ish guns but these ones my god its so easy to hit things

I like it more then the Roon which was one of my favourite ships.

29 games in sitting at 80K average, so much better with the B Hull, but too poor to get the C hull:sceptic:

WASD to the max, still not that bad at kiting and shooting, only thing i hate is the turning radius..so the WASD'ing doesn't work as good as some other ships

This russian cruiser grind is ez ._. should have gone up sooner

Members
5,165 posts
60 battles

Though was officially designated as light cruiser, Dimitri can be treated as a quasi-heavy cruiser. Look up project 65.

Has most of the advantages Chapayev never have, including repair team and torpedo belts. Concealment, however, you had to work around with it, as mobility and range were traded for it.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

Donskoi is tricky to work around.  It takes the recommendation for Chapayev users to lurk at max range and burn things down from a distance and mandates it.  Stock, it's miserable because it suffers from Pensacola syndrome where it gets spotted before it can shoot.  Upgraded, it still suffers from the evolved form of Pensacola syndrome in that its spotting range is nearly the same as its firing range, but it can at least use ASM2 to compensate.  When I used Donskoi on PT, I played her exactly like Kirov; unable to take hits, but able to dish out serious pain.  And while she can't lay on hurt as badly as Kirov can - relative to contemporary CAs - her frailty and immense size are pretty good parallels that makes a common defensive strategy between the two a good idea.

That being said, the 180mms have deceptively powerful armor penetration and HE damage.  My brother - newly-graduated into the Moskva - found he could repeatedly citadel the belts of broadside battleships with them at even close to max range.  And if he didn't, well, he still got a 15k AP salvo from the superstructure.  The Russian fire RNG also - not pointing fingers or insinuating anything - seems to be rather favorable to players which will only help you keep pace with the HE performance of the Ibuki and the Roon's higher RoF.

[ANKER]
Members
36 posts
7,980 battles

start off as a support ship, supporting dds at caps with radar or supporting bbs/cas with def aa fire (its got very good aa)  

when enemies start thinning out (bbs especially) you can start playing aggressive.  go bow on and use your amazing 8km torps  

i think it does best with the range upgrade over traverse/reload module.  i made the mistake of taking the reload module (so i can demount for moskva) but in the end its really not worth it the extra losses

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
29 posts
17,837 battles

just finished researching moskva

really really enjoyed this ship, didn't feel like a pain to play vs playing thru the ibuki which pissed the crapoutta me.

Played it aggressive, backed up the DD's at the beginning of matches with lazers and radar and kited the crapoutta there once BB's started shooting

Radar is OP during cyclones, if you have a inkling of where they are you can set up amazing broadsides with AP

finished at 80K average damage, will miss it now to grind some creds to afford playing at tier X

[WOLF2]
Members
399 posts
10,987 battles

just finished researching moskva

really really enjoyed this ship, didn't feel like a pain to play vs playing thru the ibuki which pissed the crapoutta me.

Played it aggressive, backed up the DD's at the beginning of matches with lazers and radar and kited the crapoutta there once BB's started shooting

Radar is OP during cyclones, if you have a inkling of where they are you can set up amazing broadsides with AP

finished at 80K average damage, will miss it now to grind some creds to afford playing at tier X

I had zero issues with the Ibuki, the only tier 9 cruiser I loathed was the Baltimore, that ship needs serious help..

[TULIP]
Members
952 posts
12,669 battles

I need some serious help with this ship,  I can't believe how horrible this thing is.  This is the most miserable ship at T9 for me. No matter what I do, what angle I am at, what range I am at,  I lose 30k HP in 1 blast.  The thing turns worse than a BB, has worse detection than a BB, has NO Hp like a BB, and the Range is nothing to be jumping for joy at.

HOW Do you play this thing ?

Hmm, so Donskoi is one of my favorite ships, right there with Zao.  I liked it right away, and expected I would, and will keep if I decide to get Moskva which is a week away from being unlocked.

With 0.5.11 radar buff, which made my day:

This thing is fast and 12.5km detection +/-, at beginning of match I rush to cap areas that have friendly DDs heading to them and/or have friendly CAs that can fire into cap.  Once cap starts indicating enemy DD, I tell team, light up radar, get a few salvos off as I full throttle to island cover - enemy DD dies or abandons cap.  By this time enemies start shooting so u see them on the minimap, I use island cover to reposition, spray some hopeful torps and get back up to speed and head toward fleet with a good angle to I can juke incoming shots.  You can drop out of detection pretty easily with the range of the guns.  It is so fast you can apply pressure on caps repeatedly and with Hydro & radar DDs just can't really ambush you.  In between pressure on caps, constantly long range HE on BBs or AP on CAs giving side while you give ground - BBs have their hands full and/or can't land shots due to distance and avoidance so pick other targets.  The Donskoi torps are more area denial or anti Tirpitz yolo, but they don't pack a huge punch so are better for wrangling DDs into good shooting position while radar has them lit.  I team up with a Kutuzov well who brings pain in cap while sitting in smoke, those two ships complement each other well - add a Lo Yang and you 3 will be unstoppable.  Look me up to Div sometime with Curse or Teampseak - you may come around to liking the Donskoi.

Members
646 posts
4,069 battles

The thing turns worse than a BB, has worse detection than a BB, has NO Hp like a BB, and the Range is nothing to be jumping for joy at.

So, this thing isn't Gaston?

Edited by BrentD15

[TIKI_]
Beta Testers
504 posts
6,457 battles

Finally bit the bullet and bought the Donskoi. Anyone have any advice on what Upgrades I should select?

Here's what I'm thinking:

Slot 1 - Main Armament Mod 1

Slot 2 - Aiming System / Main Battery Mod 2 / or AA Mod 1??

Slot 3 - Gunfire Control Mod 2 or Main Battery Mod 3?

Slot 4 - Damage Control

Slot 5 - Steering Gears Mod

Slot 6 - Target Acquisition / Concealment (might be useless) / or Steering Gears 3?

Any helpful advice is appreciated. .  .

[EGO]
[EGO]
Members
214 posts
13,392 battles

I love my DMD. I have it fully speced for AA and it's a beast. And it is an absolute flamethrower. I actually prefer BB heavy games because it's more opportunities for fires. As long as there is an ally between u and the enemy, preferably a BB, u'll be alright. And make sure u get the modification that increases ur max range.

Sign in to follow this