You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Medevil

Why is battleship accuracy so horrible?

45 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
11,714 posts
24,171 battles

It's supposed to have dispersion over twice what we see in game.  I would love to see dispersion more historically accurate.  A gun on a boat at 12 miles isn't accurate you know?

Nothing like Hollywood and lazers and computers and all that. 

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Because, it would make cruisers completely irrelevant in the game.

And if you have taken a look at this season of ranked, cruisers are not viable, unless you are like the 1% super skilled expert player bracket.

[-K-]
Beta Testers
5,660 posts
18,915 battles

Short version: in-game dimension scaling makes it seem like they're less accurate than they should be but they're actually fairly accurate. Generally speaking the performance of battleships is right where it should be.

Long version has something about game balance and needing cruisers/destroyers to be able to remain competitive, expectations for hitrates in 20 minutes considering in reality these battles would unfold in hours with the same reload speeds but far worse accuracy values, something something ship model dimensions scaled up about 5x compared to the distances as otherwise represented in-game so we're actually shooting at 1km long ships and tighter dispersion would make them unrealistically easy to hit... I could go on all day just rehashing stuff that's already written on the forums, so if you still care at this point I recommend some searching.

Edited by Special_Kay

[ARR0W]
Members
6,158 posts
32,929 battles

because its already an order of magnitude more accurate than historical records

It's supposed to have dispersion over twice what we see in game.  I would love to see dispersion more historically accurate.  A gun on a boat at 12 miles isn't accurate you know?

Nothing like Hollywood and lazers and computers and all that. 

This.

Some posters are making the point that BB guns are too accurate, and also that the pattern of dispersion is a problem, the ellipse of dispersion being longer in width than depth, which is bassackwards. I think correcting the latter would be a sufficient fix. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
62 posts
3,791 battles

Because BB guns are capable of putting down absolutely tremendous damage numbers. I one-shot and Iowa in my Montana at something like 16km without a detonation. Just citadel hits. I'm primarily a BB player, but if BBs were much more accurate overall, we'd have a severely broken game.

[R_N]
Beta Testers
894 posts
1,632 battles

I think the problem lies in the dispersion between A STOCK SHIP AND AN UPGRADED ONE, let alone a highly skilled captain and upgrades. When I first got the Kongo I could not hit the DD sailing next to me if I wanted to. Now that it is fully upgraded and I have a highly skilled captain in it I would be safe in saying the dispersion has my hit rate near 30% after only having 18% after 10 games.

Edited by Tank3rDude

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

Because the kind of crap that happens in the first part of the video needs to happen more often for BBs to be competitive, clearly.

[HUSH_]
Members
80 posts
14,010 battles

try to shoot the 90 degrees of the enemy hull with rudder stabilized at 0 degrees a sequential saves and anticipating the point of impact ...

remember to make every shot be worth it, you do not need to hit all ... just take a good damage to the enemy ...

Alpha Tester
4,156 posts
8,061 battles

Why is battleship accuracy so good!?

Why aren't battles taking hours and days!?

Why do ship engines accelerate so fast!?

Members
99 posts
4,051 battles

Because the kind of crap that happens in the first part of the video needs to happen more often for BBs to be competitive, clearly.

A video of luck shots but I can make one of half my bullets landing on one side of the ship and the other half landing on the other side.At 7-10k when they're broadside to you that should never happen.

[SALVO]
Members
28,059 posts
41,711 battles

A video of luck shots but I can make one of half my bullets landing on one side of the ship and the other half landing on the other side.At 7-10k when they're broadside to you that should never happen.

It's called RNG.  Sometimes you land a massive volley where 90% of your shells hit and for multiple citadels, and sometimes your shells splash all around the target and do squat.  You have to learn to deal with it.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,172 posts
30,926 battles

You should play a Cruiser, OP, and just see how inaccurate those BB guns are.  Play them.  Play them going into high tiers.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

At T8 and above BB gun dispersion does get much better, but that's because WG assumes people won't show broadsides like that stupid Iowa did.

T7 and below, BBs, with the possible exception (at least that I've seen) of the Kongo, have higher vertical dispersion which is why you don't usually get multi-cits and can miss at close range.  Of course, the tradeoff is that if your lead is off by 0.1+km you can still do decent damage and maybe get a cit.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: the key to success in BBs is not to be able to deal with the really bad dispersion rolls, because those will happen regardless of how good you are, but rather how to make the most of the rest of your salvos.

Edited by TenguBlade

Members
636 posts
7,729 battles

I think they should cut dispersion and RNG for all classes.  Those perfectly lined up shots that scatter to the winds happen for all classes, even DD's, you just don't seem to notice them as much due to higher rate of fire.  Cut dispersion by 50% for all ships, but for the game to not just be completely broken damage will have to be adjusted across the board.  Instead of 10 - 14k damage per shell for BBs, take it down to say 6 - 8k and adjust other classes accordingly. 

I would rather do less damage per shell and have my well aimed shot land than do more damage per salvo and pray to RNGesus that your shells go where you are aiming.  Takes a lot of the luck and frustration factor out of the game and rewards better gunnery skills shifting it to a more skill based game creating more skill gap between players. 

I did read somewhere with an interview with devs that they are working on taking more of the RNG out of the game, but not sure what that means, no specifics were mentioned.

Members
99 posts
4,051 battles

You should play a Cruiser, OP, and just see how inaccurate those BB guns are.  Play them.  Play them going into high tiers.

You should play battleship and just see how inaccurate those BB guns are when a cruiser sits about 15k away zigzagging stalking you spamming a flamethrower.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,172 posts
30,926 battles

You should play battleship and just see how inaccurate those BB guns are when a cruiser sits about 15k away zigzagging stalking you spamming a flamethrower.

Brah, you don't know s--t.

Gp3APtA.jpgiExwvrF.jpg

6dn2hQC.jpg

0LHB9DP.jpgsM1fGlw.jpg

Tier VII IJN DD (own Hatsuharu)

Tier VIII USN DD (own Benson)

Tier X Russian DD (own Khab but I suck at her)

Tier X IJN Cruisers (mastered line, saving for Zao)

Tier X USN Cruisers (own DM)

Tier VIII German Cruisers (own Adm Hipper)

Tier VII Russian Cruisers (own Schors)

Tier VII IJN CV (own Hiryu)

Tier VIII USN CV (own Lexington)

Tier X USN BB (stopped at Iowa; Researched Tier X; Do not want Montana)

Tier X IJN BB (own Yamato)

I played all lines and I know the good and the bad that each of the lines go through.

• Cool 1

Members
99 posts
4,051 battles

Brah, you don't know s--t.

Gp3APtA.jpgiExwvrF.jpg

6dn2hQC.jpg

0LHB9DP.jpgsM1fGlw.jpg

Tier VII IJN DD (own Hatsuharu)

Tier VIII USN DD (own Benson)

Tier X Russian DD (own Khab but I suck at her)

Tier X IJN Cruisers (mastered line, saving for Zao)

Tier X USN Cruisers (own DM)

Tier VIII German Cruisers (own Adm Hipper)

Tier VII Russian Cruisers (own Schors)

Tier VII IJN CV (own Hiryu)

Tier VIII USN CV (own Lexington)

Tier X USN BB (stopped at Iowa; Researched Tier X; Do not want Montana)

Tier X IJN BB (own Yamato)

I played all lines and I know the good and the bad that each of the lines go through.

You had a lucky game, so what brah?

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,172 posts
30,926 battles

You had a lucky game, so what brah?

LOL, not a lucky game.  More of I've been up and down these tiers, played all the ship types.  I've seen the issues that all the ship types have to deal with.  You are viewing things from a "Grass is greener on the other side of the fence."  You haven't been there on the other side of the Battleship's guns getting shot at if you believe Cruisers are invulnerable like you're making them out to be.

:D

Something else I forgot to address from this quote of yours.

In general with the BB players of this game, 15km is the ideal intermediate range to engage, give or take a few km.  Getting shorter range is creeping ever closer to torpedoes.  Getting shorter makes USN DD guns actually easier to hit you.  Getting further to 20k is pointless since most BB players can't hit anything.  Sitting at 15km with a BB shooting at your Cruisers is where you do NOT want to be, and most especially so as you climb up the tiers.

Members
34 posts
8,633 battles

bbs could hit stationary targets fairly well if they could see them with good accuracy. They missed moving targets a lot because it is hard to predict where the target is going to move a good cruiser captain will rarely get hit even if the bbs guns were perfect just by moving a little bit. sometimes the large spread helps you vs cruisers that are turning a lot more than it hurts you. the thing that gets me pissed off is the direct hits for 0 to very little damage vs any target with a bb.

Today i had a cruiser 2 tears under me take 14 hits for 0 damage they guy literately drove up to me in god mode took the shots to the face and to the side and torped me. freaking redic bad rng