Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
goldeagle1123

Bring back the Hiryu's Hinomaru

Bring back the Hiryu's Hinomaru  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the Hinomaru return to the Hiryu's deck?

• Yes
    • No

56 comments in this topic

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

As many have noticed, a couple patches ago WG removed the Hinomaru for undisclosed reasons. I'm not speculating as to why, I'm simply petitioning to bring it back. I know a lot of people liked it, both for purely aesthetic pleasure as well as for historical accuracy. I know I for one would really like to see it come back, it really made the ship stand out.

For any who are not aware, the Hinomaru is the red sun that is on the Hiryu's deck, and it was there historically. The image below is what the Hiryu used to look like. If you are to go in-game and look at it now, you'll notice that it is no longer there.

HiryuHinomaru_zps3ajylasg.jpg

• Cool 5

Alpha Tester
1,914 posts
8,490 battles

I still have the old texture files if you wanna skin it back. I personally believe the change was to enforce consistency as no other IJN has it & if anything the Hiryu was the odd one out.

Edited by GoldPile

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

I still have the old texture files if you wanna skin it back. I personally believe the change was to enforce consistency as no other IJN has it & if anything the Hiryu was the odd one out.

That's just silly though. Why can't the IJN CVs have their Hinomarus? It's not like it's hard at all to add 1 extra layer of texturing.

Members
6,589 posts
8,581 battles

What!? They removed it!?

No, no, no, no. They have to put it back. I loved that little detail on Hiryuu.

A bit off topic: You know, I was wondering why the Hiryuu art in the ranked battles queue screen was missing the red sun. I guess now we know.

Also, as far as I'm aware, weren't Hiryuu and Soryuu the only carriers of the IJN currently in game to have a Hinomaru? I don't recall ever seeing any pictures of Shokaku or Zuikaku with one.

Edit: Okay, with a quick google search, it looks like Zuihou also had a Hinomaru

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Alpha Tester
1,914 posts
8,490 battles

That's just silly though. Why can't the IJN CVs have their Hinomarus? It's not like it's hard at all to add 1 extra layer of texturing.

If a developer would like to comment on this then you will have your answer. As I do not work for Wargaming I wouldn't know their reasons.

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

What!? They removed it!?

No, no, no, no. They have to put it back. I loved that little detail on Hiryuu.

A bit off topic: You know, I was wondering why the Hiryuu art in the ranked battles queue screen was missing the red sun. I guess now we know.

Also, as far as I'm aware, weren't Hiryuu and Soryuu the only carriers of the IJN currently in game to have a Hinomaru? I don't recall ever seeing any pictures of Shokaku or Zuikaku with one.

As far as I am aware Hiryu, Soryu, Akagi, and Kaga were the only Japanese CVs to receive the Hinomaru on their flight decks.

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

If a developer would like to comment on this then you will have your answer. As I do not work for Wargaming I wouldn't know their reasons.

I know, it was a rhetorical statement.

Members
6,589 posts
8,581 battles

As far as I am aware Hiryu, Soryu, Akagi, and Kaga were the only Japanese CVs to receive the Hinomaru on their flight decks.

I just did a quick google image search of some of the IJN carriers, including the ones in game, excluding Hoshou(I also looked up CV Amagi). I found that Hiryuu, Soryuu, Kaga, and Zuihou all had Hinomarus. None of the others turned up images that included a Hinomaru.
Edited by GhostSwordsman

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

I just did a quick google image search of some of the IJN carriers, including the ones in game, excluding Hoshou(I also looked up CV Amagi). I found that Hiryuu, Soryuu, Kaga, and Zuihou all had Hinomarus. None of the others turned up images that included a Hinomaru.

Akagi definitely had a Hinomaru as well. This photo was taken of her during the Battle of Midway. http://www.fold3.com/image/54861187?ann=25754800-72d1-11e1-2c08-3f291d347e5c

[SALVO]
Members
28,059 posts
41,711 battles

I wonder if it was removed for the same reason that WG doesn't do the Nazi flag or the IJN Naval ensign. 

-Members-
1,117 posts
3,733 battles

If I remember correctly, back in the Asia forums there was a similar topic to this. Apparently, there are people who see the Japanese Suns (the normal Sun and the ones with the rays) as offensive. Over in Asia the IJN Rising Sun flag (the sun with the rays) is their equivalent to Hitler's swastika.

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

I wonder if it was removed for the same reason that WG doesn't do the Nazi flag or the IJN Naval ensign.

If that were the standard, they'd have to remove the Japanese flag as a whole, because it's the same symbol that's on the Japanese flag.
  • Cool 1

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

If I remember correctly, back in the Asia forums there was a similar topic to this. Apparently, there are people who see the Japanese Suns (the normal Sun and the ones with the rays) as offensive. Over in Asia the IJN Rising Sun flag (the sun with the rays) is their equivalent to Hitler's swastika.

Except it is by no means an equivalent, they should just grow some thick skin. The Kyoukujitsu-Ki is still used by the JMSDF to this day.

[SVER]
Beta Testers
3,810 posts
10,039 battles

I miss the red meatball, and blame Korea. Give my Hiryu back her meatball!

Thank you for making me hungry... 

Alpha Tester
4,156 posts
8,061 battles

They removed it so it wouldn't mess with the new camouflage skins that now cover the deck, as Hiryu now has Zuikaku's final battle camouflage for the premium choice.  All of the other camos cover the deck as well(which actually looks pretty nice.)

They did shoot themselves in the foot a bit, since the hinomaru would have been a potential choice for the premium camouflage but since the ship already had it, people would then complain about having to pay for something the ship already had.

Edited by Seraphil
  • Cool 1

Members
6,589 posts
8,581 battles

If you could, that would be greatly appreciated by me, and I'm sure others as well.

Knowing WG's track record, the Hinomaru isn't likely to be coming back, unfortunately.

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

Except it is by no means an equivalent, they should just grow some thick skin. The Kyoukujitsu-Ki is still used by the JMSDF to this day.

Depends on your perspective.

Some people still find the JSDF using the symbol to be insulting. Heck, the Chinese state media always works itself into a hysteria over it whenever it's convenient, because they love showing that Japan is still obviously the super-aggressive imperialistic power it has always been, ravaging poor defenseless China.

I personally have no problem with it, but that's not the case for many. 

If you actually dig into it, in many ways the Japanese behavior made the nazis look quite tame, so I can easily see someone getting themselves worked up over it. 

Never forget you must distinguish between what a symbol actually means, and what it's viewed as.

The Kyoukujisu-Ki, was always a war flag, if I'm not mistaken, but it was also commonly used, and still is, as a symbol of good luck. it was never meant to show and sort of oppression or superiority, it was just a battleflag.

The Swastika symbol is actually less of a violent symbol, than the Rising Sun Flag. The Swastika is an ancient, ancient symbol, and was never even remotely violent. It was mostly based in luck, and is still used widely in Asia today... and not at all in the ways the west reacts to it. It had nothing to do with what the Nazi's believed, except for their insistence upon an aryan heritage that doesn't exist...

But that's perception vs fact.

Personally, if it's used for purposes of historical accuracy, I have no qualms with the uses of symbols. I take no offense to seeing the Rising Sun Flag, and while I would find the Swastika offensive if it was being used for the types of things the nazi party used it for, I don't mind it otherwise. Heck, I've built models that omitted the Swastika, and added it in in pen or by paint, because that's how it appeared in real life.

• Cool 1

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

Depends on your perspective.

Some people still find the JSDF using the symbol to be insulting. Heck, the Chinese state media always works itself into a hysteria over it whenever it's convenient, because they love showing that Japan is still obviously the super-aggressive imperialistic power it has always been, ravaging poor defenseless China.

I personally have no problem with it, but that's not the case for many.

If you actually dig into it, in many ways the Japanese behavior made the nazis look quite tame, so I can easily see someone getting themselves worked up over it.

Never forget you must distinguish between what a symbol actually means, and what it's viewed as.

The Kyoukujisu-Ki, was always a war flag, if I'm not mistaken, but it was also commonly used, and still is, as a symbol of good luck. it was never meant to show and sort of oppression or superiority, it was just a battleflag.

The Swastika symbol is actually less of a violent symbol, than the Rising Sun Flag. The Swastika is an ancient, ancient symbol, and was never even remotely violent. It was mostly based in luck, and is still used widely in Asia today... and not at all in the ways the west reacts to it. It had nothing to do with what the Nazi's believed, except for their insistence upon an aryan heritage that doesn't exist...

But that's perception vs fact.

Personally, if it's used for purposes of historical accuracy, I have no qualms with the uses of symbols. I take no offense to seeing the Rising Sun Flag, and while I would find the Swastika offensive if it was being used for the types of things the nazi party used it for, I don't mind it otherwise. Heck, I've built models that omitted the Swastika, and added it in in pen or by paint, because that's how it appeared in real life.

I am aware of both symbols histories. And speaking from an objective standpoint, neither are hate symbols. The only reason I hope WG doesn't use the swastika is because it's illegal in some European countries.

[SALVO]
Members
28,059 posts
41,711 battles

IIRC, there are some places in Asia where they DO consider the IJN ensign to be the equivalent of the Nazi flag.  And I suppose who are we to tell them otherwise?

Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles

I am aware of both symbols histories. And speaking from an objective standpoint, neither are hate symbols. The only reason I hope WG doesn't use the swastika is because it's illegal in some European countries.

This - the swastika is a case of legality. But yeah, I can understand the flag of the rising sun being removed, but the meatball seems a bi much.

Unless it gives USN DB's an unfair advantage by giving them a bullseye to aim for :trollface:

[NSF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,304 posts
9,284 battles

Someone already mentioned it, but it had to do with the new camouflages which also cover the deck.

[APOC]
Members
1,980 posts
7,184 battles

This - the swastika is a case of legality. But yeah, I can understand the flag of the rising sun being removed, but the meatball seems a bi much.

Unless it gives USN DB's an unfair advantage by giving them a bullseye to aim for :trollface:

I personally don't see why it had to be removed on the US server. Japan still uses the rising sun ensign on their naval defense force and they are allies of the US. I don't really care either way as I use the historical mod, but I get really tired of people complaining about historical accuracy and then wanting to censor it.

Not that you in particular are on of those people. Seems like everyone is bothered by something these days.

[SALVO]
Members
28,059 posts
41,711 battles

I personally don't see why it had to be removed on the US server. Japan still uses the rising sun ensign on their naval defense force and they are allies of the US. I don't really care either way as I use the historical mod, but I get really tired of people complaining about historical accuracy and then wanting to censor it.

Not that you in particular are on of those people. Seems like everyone is bothered by something these days.

I seriously doubt that this is a localization issue.  If they removed the meatball, they'd have removed it for all servers not just the NA server.

Sign in to follow this