Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Runcible

so...ARP ships...

37 comments in this topic

Members
125 posts
3,438 battles

Why so easy this time?

The last round wasn't super hard, but still took 2 weeks at 3 or 4 hours a day to get the kongo and myoko...this round was so easy it was silly.

8 hours or so over 3 days.I was honestly expecting a challenge.

Damage only? Cant help but complete the mission, win or lose in battle.

Thoughts?

Alpha Tester
1,914 posts
8,490 battles

It's precisely because the requirements were so rediculous that they toned it down to just damage. Challenges are good but then there are some that becomes simply a pain. I had to buy a frigging Bouge to finish the shoot 100 planes & go DD hunting in a Fubuki... No thanks.

• Cool 2

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

Last round was pretty hard. You had to have either a CV, some USN ship with crazy AA to get the Kongo. And everyone who wanted a Myoko was HE spamming in BBs. Not to mention the unholy amount of KSing. Let's please not go back to those dark ages.

• Cool 2

[CHIGR]
[CHIGR]
Members
3,641 posts
18,843 battles

A lot of players are casuals that don't play that much/don't do that much damage. Plus on the last round, things like kills or fires had a bigger luck component. I for one (as a casual) prefer the new missions... you might less difficult, but I say less annoying.

Edited by pikohan

[SALVO]
Members
28,059 posts
41,711 battles

Last round was pretty hard. You had to have either a CV, some USN ship with crazy AA to get the Kongo. And everyone who wanted a Myoko was HE spamming in BBs. Not to mention the unholy amount of KSing. Let's please not go back to those dark ages.

Another alternative (for those who didn't have or want to play CV's) that was quite effective was to division a Cleveland or Atlanta with a carrier, since this would guarantee that your CA would have an enemy CV to farm plane kills from.  This was a far more efficient method than just playing a Cleveland or Atlanta and hoping that MM would bless you with a carrier battle.

Also, while I didn't find the fires requirement difficult, since I play IJN CA's which have a strong chance of fire with their 8" HE, I can see why some BB players might spam HE.  And that's what made the fires requirement a bad thing, i.e. the fact that it caused some players to play ships in a way that they really aren't meant to be played, just to go after a mission requirement.

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 2

Members
726 posts
1,805 battles

Mostly the problem was the challenge causing grief. People were playing in an atypical manner to complete the challenges and usually costing their team a win. BB's firing nothing but HE for the fire mission are NOT helping their team win. CA's chasing down planes circling a dead CV (guilty) are not helping their team win (tho in my case I DID manage to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat by torching their last BB with 5sec to spare. Go check my Youtubes channel for Vid).

Edited by StarfuryMS

[SALVO]
Members
28,059 posts
41,711 battles

Mostly the problem was the challenge causing grief. People were playing in an atypical manner to complete the challenges and usually costing their team a win. BB's firing nothing but HE for the fire mission are NOT helping their team win. CA's chasing down planes circling a dead CV (guilty) are not helping their team win (tho in my case I DID manage to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat by torching their last BB with 5sec to spare. Go check my Youtubes channel for Vid).

I have to say that I never did that, unless I was already there after killing the CV in the first place.  On those occasions when I ran my Cleveland or Atlanta solo and did NOT get a CV battle, I was guilty of using my AA barrage to kill cat fighters and spotter planes, just so the better didn't feel like a total waste of time relative to the mission.  But I didn't go chasing those planes.   I just would fire off the AA barrage if they happened to be in range.

Still, the two best ways to get plane kills in that mission was to either play a CV or division a good AA cruiser with a CV.  Either way would give you plenty of chances to shoot down planes.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,926 posts
2,681 battles

edited because reasons. ;)

Edited by kerensky914

[WOLF7]
Members
12,620 posts

Toning it down is one thing, making it impossible to avoid though? 

An event that requires nothing from the player, other than to play, isn't really a event....

The only way not to end up with these ships, is not to play.

Hope they bring a Project R event soon, certainly Ranked and the ARP missions haven't done much for population.

• Cool 1

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,522 battles

because they're gimmicky ships that only a few anime fans care about and would waste time trying to get. 

No need to make it ridiculously difficult. 

Members
125 posts
3,438 battles

I admit that I did have time to grind...I work on hourly call outs, and things were slow at the time, so could waste hours on pixel ships.strangely, I barely touched a BB on the last mission...just used a dd and a cleveland.I think im pretty average as players go in this game.

I just think that if your going to call something a challenge, it had better be challenging...yes I get it about the grief and especially the kill sniping.but its been to easy.in some respects, im a complete potato (BB play), but this last round was all pew, pew...a bit of a letdown.good thing is, I got the ships, and the latest patch allows module changes...you can have different "flavors" of kongo...still happy.

Members
713 posts

It's precisely because the requirements were so rediculous that they toned it down to just damage. Challenges are good but then there are some that becomes simply a pain. I had to buy a frigging Bouge to finish the shoot 100 planes & go DD hunting in a Fubuki... No thanks.

I took ONE look at the requirements for the Myoko and Kongo, saw DD kills, and as an almost exclusively DD captain I left for several months. I was NOT gonna become an even larger target than always am. And there was no way in hell I was able to complete the event. The community lost a player from the game for roughly 6 months. I am willing to bet I was not the only one to leave too.

[AOH]
Members
984 posts
7,157 battles

It's all a matter of perception.

A game company puts out an event in which there are rewards.

1. The hardcore gamer playing 6 hours+ per day....is bummed because it's so easy.

2. The casual gamer is upset because he will never achieve it.

And they have to balance that as well. This time it's fairly easy, so the complaints of the hardcore gamers are being heard, and next time it will be harder etc.

Edited by Wepps
  • Cool 2

Members
759 posts

Why so easy this time?

The last round wasn't super hard, but still took 2 weeks at 3 or 4 hours a day to get the kongo and myoko...this round was so easy it was silly.

8 hours or so over 3 days.I was honestly expecting a challenge.

Damage only? Cant help but complete the mission, win or lose in battle.

Thoughts?

would you like all your teammate forget about winning and with your BBs loaded with HE?

my stats is still scrub because of that.

Edited by anonym_76iqf0dp5Wvy

Members
125 posts
3,438 battles

Im hardly a hard core player...I know guys that have trouble leaving the game to take a leak.I dont count myself as a member of the hardcore minority.

That begs the question...what counts as hardcore play?

Members
759 posts

Im hardly a hard core player...I know guys that have trouble leaving the game to take a leak.I dont count myself as a member of the hardcore minority.

stay on topic.

there will be challenging mission soon enough.

Edited by anonym_76iqf0dp5Wvy

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

I grinded myoko to mogami to get arp_myoko.  that gave me all the fire missions and dmg missions.   :D

[AOH]
Members
984 posts
7,157 battles

That's an excellent question, and I'm betting developers have been asking themselves that for many decades.

When you say you played 3 or 4 hours per day for 2 weeks to earn the reward, that's hardcore play. Others surely play more and are more hardcore. But that's just time-spent we're talking about. there are other factors as well.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
14,008 posts
5,814 battles

There were people who got ARP Kongo within 24 hours. I guess that's the extreme end of 'hardcore'. On the other hand there were a significant number who couldn't get her for whatever reason despite the event having lasted 2 months.

Unfortunately WG will never be able to make any event at the same time challenging to the hardcore, yet easy enough for the casual. They are just mutually exclusive, so the question is who does WG cater to? This time it's the casuals. maybe next time we may get something that needs a bit more effort.

Members
125 posts
3,438 battles

I guess your right about perception then.I definitely do not see myself as hardcore at all.I can see the logic to easier play...there was considerable amounts of toxic behavior during the last event.I didnt let it bother me.its part of online gaming.it shouldnt be, but it is.I play arty in WOT, so ive managed to grow some armored skin.

Perhaps its just wargaming adjusting the thing they call balance to much the other way again...this last round was a bit of a yawn, so maybe next time theyll get it right...

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,172 posts
30,926 battles

There were people who got ARP Kongo within 24 hours. I guess that's the extreme end of 'hardcore'. On the other hand there were a significant number who couldn't get her for whatever reason despite the event having lasted 2 months.

Unfortunately WG will never be able to make any event at the same time challenging to the hardcore, yet easy enough for the casual. They are just mutually exclusive, so the question is who does WG cater to? This time it's the casuals. maybe next time we may get something that needs a bit more effort.

The Hardcore already have Ranked.  "Casual" isn't exactly a thing if you want higher ranks.

Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles

because they're gimmicky ships that only a few anime fans care about and would waste time trying to get. 

No need to make it ridiculously difficult. 

Not true - those who find the designs interesting or want basically premium ships for free (minus ability to trade crew sadly) for cash, or those who see a ship and of the mind set that they want all the ships, will go for it. I could care less about the anime, and to have a girl saying things at me in Japanese that I know maybe a couple words of. However, it's a free Kongo and Myoko with port slot so I was able to free up at the moment the one I needed for Kongo because I loved that ship.

More on topic, with CV's becoming rarer and rarer and the general anarchy caused by people attempting to get kills, set fires, etc - just as in tanks it's always safer to go with earn xp or deal damage. Plus it depends on the player. Sure I did over 100k damage in 1 battle last night (partially because a Fuso was stopped dead of his own free will and apparently didn't think I was really going to ram him till the last second despite having about 1/3 my HP left, several ships firing on me, and a DD bearing down to torp me). But I had plenty of 20-30k games recently because for some reason rounds aren't landing on target or deal little/no damage. Case in point this morning when me in my Lex and a Hiryu as the last two survivors went after a crippled one shot Myoko to try and reset points to have a snowballs chance, I sent one DB group at it and the other after a destroyer, hit it but only damaged a torpedo tube and maybe some AA guns, but no actual damage. Redirect the other group back to attack it, one of Hiryu's DB groups gets there the same time, both are groups completely miss him. RNG can be a real ***** when it comes to dealing damage at times and can make these missions harder.

Sign in to follow this