Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Teflon_007

Stats for Propulsion Mod 2?

18 comments in this topic

[-BF]
Members
144 posts
3,202 battles

I'm strongly considering trying out the new Propulsion Mod 2 which give a 50% acceleration increase, but I can't find any stats for how it would impact the ship it applied to.  Where do I find data that shows what the default acceleration is and what it would be with the mod applied?  I don't understand why these stats are not showing when hover over maneuverability tab.

Members
165 posts
1,980 battles

Generally smaller ships like DDs accelerate very quickly, but it also depends on the ship in question and their engine. USN BBs Tier III-VII accelerate slowly, since their top speed is horrific. But, with CA/CL, IJN BBs and some CVs they have a very good acceleration and top speed. So, it depends on what ship you're gonna put it on. If it has a slow top speed, it'll help get you going faster, but if its on a ship with good speed it'll get going that much faster.

[-BF]
Members
144 posts
3,202 battles

Generally smaller ships like DDs accelerate very quickly, but it also depends on the ship in question and their engine. USN BBs Tier III-VII accelerate slowly, since their top speed is horrific. But, with CA/CL, IJN BBs and some CVs they have a very good acceleration and top speed. So, it depends on what ship you're gonna put it on. If it has a slow top speed, it'll help get you going faster, but if its on a ship with good speed it'll get going that much faster.

I agree with everything you've laid out, but where can I find specific acceleration figures?  

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

if you have sub 3sec rudder, I would consider getting the propulsion upgrade .   In DD that uses smoke a lot,    that would be a nice thing.  for bigger ship,  I do know some people uses their engine to dodge, so it probably helps.

Edited by centarina

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,306 battles

I'm strongly considering trying out the new Propulsion Mod 2 which give a 50% acceleration increase, but I can't find any stats for how it would impact the ship it applied to.  Where do I find data that shows what the default acceleration is and what it would be with the mod applied?  I don't understand why these stats are not showing when hover over maneuverability tab.

You don't. But it's worth it on pretty much every DD in the game and some Cruisers.

Members
1,112 posts
1,111 battles

Its pretty nice when you derp into islands like I tend to do in my DDs. You can slam it into reverse and be out of there in half the time.

[CALM]
Beta Testers
6,838 posts
6,088 battles

I don't recall anyone doing any hard testing, but the few limited tests run show it helps out a lot in getting back to maximum speed faster after a hard turn, especially in battleships, which lose a lot of speed when making a hard turn.  However, you trade the faster rudder shift for faster speed recovery (good for those that like to shoot-n-scoot or vary their speeds when bombers are incoming).

Members
824 posts
4,173 battles

You lose some speed when you turn and with better acceleration your ship can recover quicker so you will be traveling at your max speed more often then another of the same ship that doesn't have it making you faster. Plus being able to slam it into reverse or full ahead and get going quicker can save your bacon. Sorry I have no stats I'm just basing it off game play, Personally I wouldn't put it on a slow battleship but if you have a cruiser or carrier put that thing on it

Edited by Magic_Fighting_Tuna

Supertest Coordinator
7,223 posts
14,440 battles

The biggest effect occurs around going from reverse to ahead full or vice versa. The amount of torque applied gives you very quick stops and reversals.

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,306 battles

The biggest effect occurs around going from reverse to ahead full or vice versa. The amount of torque applied gives you very quick stops and reversals.

I find it pretty handy on some Cruisers all things considered, though need to be more mindful of torpedoes when you use it.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,285 posts
19,668 battles

Just put it on a Benson instead of rudder shift...I think I really like it better, it really gets them guessing when they shoot at you in smoke, and like said, great for getting off rocks...DDs sometimes do that when knife fighting or evasive, really helped me.

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,306 battles

Just put it on a Benson instead of rudder shift...I think I really like it better, it really gets them guessing when they shoot at you in smoke, and like said, great for getting off rocks...DDs sometimes do that when knife fighting or evasive, really helped me.

I've been putting on anything that isn't a BB honestly. The acceleration boost from 0 to 6 knots is very handy, as well as the ability to regain speed, quickly, out of a turn.

[-BF]
Members
144 posts
3,202 battles

Does it only give the boost from 0 - 6 knots?  I mean if I'm at 10 knots and I apply full speed, do I get up to max speed any faster?  

The description doesnt really give a lot of info.  Below is from the patch notes:

• Propulsion Modification 2 (-20% to time for reaching full power) the bonus has to time it takes to reach full power has improved to 50%. This upgrade boosts the engine automatically by 50% while the ship accelerates from 0 to 6 knots (both ahead and astern)

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

You just have to remember that it's "faster" and bigger ships benefit more than smaller ones.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think Tirpitz and NC would benefit the most from propulsion mod, because Tirpitz has an acceptably fast rudder, while NC, you are still going to fight bow on time to time.

All IJN DDs should take this mod.

I don't think there's a single cruiser that benefits from this mod, because in cruisers, it's all about dancing through a hail of shells, which requires a fast rudder.

Edited by MrDeaf

[Y0L0K]
Members
1,041 posts
13,489 battles

You just have to remember that it's "faster" and bigger ships benefit more than smaller ones.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think Tirpitz and NC would benefit the most from propulsion mod, because Tirpitz has an acceptably fast rudder, while NC, you are still going to fight bow on time to time.

All IJN DDs should take this mod.

I don't think there's a single cruiser that benefits from this mod, because in cruisers, it's all about dancing through a hail of shells, which requires a fast rudder.

But wouldn't a Molotov be an exception to your CA rule?  Yes, she suffers already from below average rudder shift for a CA and she turns about as wide as the Titanic, but perhaps the prop mod may serve her equally as well given that she could vary her speed to throw off other players' aim?  Not sure but just a thought and certainly something I'd like to test tonight!

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

But wouldn't a Molotov be an exception to your CA rule?  Yes, she suffers already from below average rudder shift for a CA and she turns about as wide as the Titanic, but perhaps the prop mod may serve her equally as well given that she could vary her speed to throw off other players' aim?  Not sure but just a thought and certainly something I'd like to test tonight!

I guess it depends on the engagement range and initial rudder speed.

Something like a Moskva or Kutuzov might benefit, as they are surprisingly agile, while able to maintain extreme distances.

I know Roon sure doesn't benefit at all from it.

[Y0L0K]
Members
1,041 posts
13,489 battles

btw just tried the prop mod in my Warspite....this thing FREAKIN rocks!  

Members
96 posts
7,629 battles

I too wish they would be specific about in game mechanics. WG does not speak English any better than most though and even their officially maintained wiki says things like "Stacks with " when they mean "Multiplies with", and "Built" often means "Designed on paper". If you ever get a Stop Watch out at time maneuvers please share this data. I will make the dangerous assumption however that WG is not once again failing its English and they mean the words they choose and engine power means engine power and not ships speed.

Ideally the prop boost gives a boost to how quickly the ENGINE gets up to full power and NOT a boost to how fast the SHIP gets up to top speed! To clarify this subtlety, this means an engine running at full power during a high speed turn is not affected by this boost just because the ship looses speed due to fluid dynamics and some of engine power going into the accelerating force that turns the ship!  Naturally this also would mean that if you shift to full reverse from all ahead full the engine would get a boost and the sooner the engine was applying full reverse force the sooner your ship would slow to a stop and then start going in reverse. (The confusion of engine power vs ship speed is like the confusion of rudder shift time and ship turning radius).  This is similar to the rudder boost not giving a tighter turn radius but instead helping you begin the turning radius sooner.

However the FIRST part about "-50% time for reaching full power" would wear out before the ship came to a stop as the engine would already be applying full reverse before the ship stopped. The second part of the prop boost "Increases engine power when the ship starts moving" (magically more powerful engine when -6 to 6 knots) however would keep functioning until your ship was above 6 knots. If the engine kept this power boost outside of 6 knots your ship would actually get a higher top speed.

Which leaves the question, does the flag for +5% max speed cause an engine power boost, a reduction in ships internal momentum, or something less physically real and more in the realm of magical coding?

Edited by OmniOptic

Sign in to follow this