You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Midnight_Rider

What upgrades and skills are best for the Atago?

7 comments in this topic

Members
44 posts
3,914 battles

I like my Atago, but I don't play it very well. I'm watching videos and reading everything I can, trying to getter. I would appreciate any advice on which are the best skills and upgrades to get. I have 12 commander skill points, some of which I've spent, but I can redistribute.

Thanks.

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

Skills:

Situational Awareness

Expert Marksman/Last Stand      Due to the frequency of steering and power loss, Last Stand might be more important. 

Superintendent

Demolition Expert

Concealment Expert 

Upgrades: 

Main Battery

Either Torpedo or Main Battery Again

Rudder Shift

Engine Protection Mod

Concealment 

Can't open the game to be more specific or fact check myself.

Edit: As far as playstyle goes, it is pretty stealthy so it should be very easy to go back into stealth and re-position your ship. With max concealment you can even torp from stealth. The problem with this ship is mainly the citadel, very easy to hit. 

Edited by saagri

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
3,176 posts
7,789 battles

Skills:

Situational Awareness

Expert Marksman/Last Stand      Due to the frequency of steering and power loss, Last Stand might be more important. 

Superintendent

Demolition Expert

Concealment Expert 

Upgrades: 

Main Battery

Either Torpedo or Main Battery Again

Rudder Shift

Engine Protection Mod

Concealment 

Can't open the game to be more specific or fact check myself.

I'd take Rudder durability over Engine, since an engine shot usually means you did something terribly wrong anyways: it's not like other ships that can get an engine knockout from HE. Torpedoes should not be a focus on IJN cruisers, imo, so I would recommend focusing purely on main battery (take Aiming System instead).

I also take Expert Marksman over Last Stand with premium R and Vigilance over Superintendent. Superintendent is still a solid choice, but I prefer not getting smacked by torpedoes since I primarily DD hunt with Atago.

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

I'd take Rudder durability over Engine, since an engine shot usually means you did something terribly wrong anyways: it's not like other ships that can get an engine knockout from HE. Torpedoes should not be a focus on IJN cruisers, imo, so I would recommend focusing purely on main battery.

I also take Expert Marksman over Last Stand with premium R.

I have last stand on my atago captain so I don't really care about that module slot. In addition, it is my personal preference to have engine over steering. But yeah, lots of personal preference for builds.
Edited by saagri

[RLGN]
Members
19,148 posts
35,186 battles

I'd take Rudder durability over Engine, since an engine shot usually means you did something terribly wrong anyways: it's not like other ships that can get an engine knockout from HE. Torpedoes should not be a focus on IJN cruisers, imo, so I would recommend focusing purely on main battery (take Aiming System instead).

I also take Expert Marksman over Last Stand with premium R.

Maybe why I'm constantly getting my butt kicked in Atago... (great ship? what a load of bull... I've thought...) Had someone chew me out in chat once because I wasn't shooting my guns... (Rightly or wrongly, I was trying to torp a target on North that had gotten within 6k of me...)

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
3,176 posts
7,789 battles

Maybe why I'm constantly getting my butt kicked in Atago... (great ship? what a load of bull... I've thought...) Had someone chew me out in chat once because I wasn't shooting my guns... (Rightly or wrongly, I was trying to torp a target on North that had gotten within 6k of me...)

I'm more inclined to point fingers at the Atago players that spend the entire game driving in circles to lob torpedoes. I'm not even joking: I watched this happen.

[-FBS-]
Members
2,646 posts
4,290 battles

I'm more inclined to point fingers at the Atago players that spend the entire game driving in circles to lob torpedoes. I'm not even joking: I watched this happen.

I like to fire my guns and re-enter stealth if I get too close and re-position. I barely use torps.