Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kaptain_Konrad

Ranked experience

18 comments in this topic

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,150 battles

You'll notice a large shift in the skill set once you reach the single digits.  I didn't have much of a problem getting to rank 9, but after that you really start encountering some good players and the grind really slows down (plus you need more stars to advance past each rank the higher you go).

Good luck!

[RLGN]
Members
19,164 posts
35,200 battles

Depending a lot on the luck of the draw with the players and matchmaking; it can be fun... AND insanely frustrating. Don't let that get you down.

Best advice I've seen in many threads is keep fighting if you're winning; STOP if you lose, at most a game or three, and go do something else. Come back later in the day, or the next day, and repeat the process.

Otherwise; go play Random or Co-op, some other game, go to dinner, mow the yard, hang out with your significant other or kids, watch TV, or whatever you find to be fun, but DON'T keep pushing if you lose in ranked; it will only drive up your blood-pressure.

Advancing in ranked is about teamwork; and when that fails; about individuals or small mini-teams dragging everyone else higher, kicking and screaming, by carrying with outstanding performance.

You'll notice a large shift in the skill set once you reach the single digits.  I didn't have much of a problem getting to rank 9, but after that you really start encountering some good players and the grind really slows down (plus you need more stars to advance past each rank the higher you go).

Good luck!

Forgot about this; as you go higher, the skill level of the players that remain will increase, requiring that it be matched by your own performance. As Ace said; (and by inference from other threads, since I haven't advanced that far myself;) the most dramatic increase is after reaching single-digit ranked battles.

One other bit of advice, set short-term goals, that way it doesn't seem so far to reach the penultimate goal, should your aspirations reach that high; the next ranked level, or the next irrevocable level, then set another goal.

I mention the Irrevocable levels because whenever the next season comes around, if you've reached one of those levels you will receive a credit in stars, and won't have to start completely at the bottom again.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Beta Testers
633 posts
4,854 battles

Aye! prepare yourself for massive loads of salt...  like  it would probably be easier to drink a whole bottle of soy sauce, have your stomach pumped.... then do it again for good measure... than it is to deal with ranked salt sometimes.

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,150 battles

One other bit of advice, set short-term goals, that way it doesn't seem so far to reach the penultimate goal, should your aspirations reach that high; the next ranked level, or the next irrevocable level, then set another goal.

I mention the Irrevocable levels because whenever the next season comes around, if you've reached one of those levels you will receive a credit in stars, and won't have to start completely at the bottom again.

Good point, Prophet.  Unless you've achieved Rank 1 in a previous season, don't be that player who is starting at Rank 22 and aiming straight for Rank 1.  Ranked Battles as a whole is too big of a juggernaut to take on with such a single-minded goal.  If you start at Rank 16, then make Rank 10 your goal.  Then use the experience you've gained in those battles to decide how realistic your next goal will be.  I made that mistake last season and ended up burning out by the time I peaked at Rank 4.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

stop after 2 loss for the day,   if you get a nice run of wins,  stop after 1 loss after several wins.     when you get to R15 or 12,    test different setup if you are having problem with winning.   don't move until you settle on setup that work the best for you.    Don't blame  others for loss, always think about what you could have done better to win.     focus on your own performance will help you improve.

Members
3,010 posts
10,193 battles

As some have said, yes, it does change after 18 and it will change again the higher/lower you get (perspective). Centarina gave some solid advice as well, especially with the not blaming others. You have to know that there will always be a potato or two on the team. Heck about 5 of my wins have come with straight up afk players on my team, but we have over come that deficiency.

Sadly, I've had to stop doing ranked atm until I get the stuttering/rubber banding effect figured out. I don't want to be a detriment to the team I play in if I can't aim or play at my best. Unfortunately, time is running out, but such is life right? lol

[SCRUM]
Members
75 posts
32,914 battles

I am having a real difficult time in Ranked.....stuck at 11-12-11-12....made it to 10 then straight losses back to 12. Saw an Arizona on other team knew we were done. Even being No. 1 on team cannot save you with constant losses, since you cannot be No. 1 every time? Interested to see how the opinions will be near the end...seems impossible to win...I have over 4500 games....maybe not the best but, not a new player. Ready to quit, ready to find a new game. Do not see how I can be 50% in random games and 20% in Ranked. Don't say teamwork and don't say better players....I've been observing and even with cooperation still continue to lose....and many of the players I watch really are terrible, they make really dumb mistakes...Impossible to advance in Ranked. Very frustrated...

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

well, you can always stop the insanity.    don't equate random WR to ranked WR.     everyone is bringing their best ship/effort in ranked in most cases and you could perform worse than average.   the cause could be many things, but there is only one constant, and that is you.   unless you recognize and make improvement to your play, you are peaked out.

.  I made to R15 on 3rd day and the competition was tough at R15.  after taking week off to test ships/tactics the competition was much easier when I started the grind again and I ran off bunch of wins to move to R11 in 20 matches.      some of it was ship, but I also adjusted the tactics from R15.       I also realized that R10 would be another hurdle and I really didn't feel like grinding same ship over and over, so I stopped for now. 

Members
9 posts
4,644 battles

Since I cant play my tier 8 ship in ranked I think I will have to play another game till it changes and I was so close to buying the Atago too! whats the point if you cant play your favorite ship in ranked battles

[SCRUM]
Members
75 posts
32,914 battles

Back to constant losses, made R=9 last season,  now stuck at 15. Very frustrating, Have 4 boats with 15+ Captains. On the stats board there is a ceiling that I never got past...would really like to know how to play better. Make changes to style and just get hammered.

Beta Testers
342 posts
7,681 battles

Since I cant play my tier 8 ship in ranked I think I will have to play another game till it changes and I was so close to buying the Atago too! whats the point if you cant play your favorite ship in ranked battles

What's stopping you?

Members
1,494 posts
12,756 battles

Not only will you have potatoes on your team but you will have decent players that either make a mistake or get taken out by other good players.  Also, I have found that communicating early in the battle (while sailing to a cap point and/or before the shells start to fly at a furious pace) can significantly help pull a team together, or let you identify who is willing to work together.

Members
1,494 posts
12,756 battles

It's only T6 until like Rank 15, then it is T8 only.

[ONE]
Members
641 posts
15,243 battles

Didn't really play too much ranked last few times even I started playing 1 yr back. Started this one at 23 and finished at 15 on Sunday, Now up to the next irrevocable milestone of 12 using Fubiki exclusively (essentially). See the Fubiki performance of mine in this thread: http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/94563-ranked-season-5-is-on-its-way/page__st__260__pid__2432276#entry2432276

New Orleans and Benson not working out for me. Tier 8 cruisers for German, Soviet, and Japan are being worked out. Not sure whether I will get one before event ends. So Fubiki will have to do for now.

I think 2 losses in ranked per session means time to play something else for the day.

Members
1,494 posts
12,756 battles

I think 2 losses in ranked per session means time to play something else for the day.

For me it is loosing 2 of 3 then it's time to stop playing ranked and either go grind some credits in T5 or just walk away from the computer.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,021 posts
4,739 battles

Dont get discouraged. Play for fun, do not play for rank 1. 

Like others have said. limit your play sessions. 2-3 loses in a row  = go to randoms or take a break. 

Wed i  was 3/4 at rank 10.  I said to myself 1 game, if i win i get to 9, if i loose i am at 10 1/2 . 

Lost the game, went to 10 1/2 . CAlled it a night.

Last night, played games, made it to rank 9 (my goal for the night) figured id play one more to get 9 1/4 . Lost it and went back to 10. Got pissed and wanted back at 9. Played 1 more and made it back to 9. Called it a night. 

Tonight my goal will be 8. If i end up at 10 2/4 or 3/4 il prob call it a night. If i make it to 8 i will call it a night regardless of the quickness. 

Be fresh, don't play wiped or salty and make sure you have focus. 

Edited by Cobraclutch

Sign in to follow this