You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Canadian_Reaper

Are there low tier CV's that don't get fighters?

14 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
349 posts
6,277 battles

Hey all

So came back to teh game after playing around in the Beta- gotten up to some T5's (I know) and played some games- and the CV's are annoying me. (But this isn't a "they're OP. they should be removed- I simply don't know anything about them)

Are there T4 and T5 CV's that generally don't use fighters?

I'm just curious- because in almost all the games I've played at T5, the enemy CV's seem to be dive bombing/dropping torps at will, (maybe ours have as well- I've been too busy trying to avoid/dodge runs to notice what our CV's have been up to)

Again. not an indictment of either CV's or the drivers in them on my teams, I don't know what the general layouts are in the current metagame (IIRC players used to take alot of fighters, but entirely possible meta or CV loadouts have changed, or I may just be delusional)

Should I expect friendly CV's to have fighters to fend off enemy attack planes at T5? IS this a higher tier thing? Or do most carriers just load up on Dive Bombers and Torpedo planes and rarely if ever take fighters.

I definitely have to learn more situational awareness when it comes to planes, but just wondering if there's a tier where I can more or less assume (at least at the start of the game) that there will be fighter protection.

[PSV]
Privateers
5,523 posts
6,129 battles

All USN CVs tier 5-8 have the option of no fighters. They're the only CVs to be able to go fighter-less.

Edited by Personator
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers
349 posts
6,277 battles

All USN CVs tier 5-8 have the option of no fighters. They're the only CVs to be able to go fighter-less.

Cool, is that a popular option? ( I can see arguments for and against it)

Still good to know, I think I've always had American CV''s on my teams, so might explain it.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
3,176 posts
7,789 battles

Still good to know, I think I've always had American CV''s on my teams, so might explain it.

Fighter loadouts are generally more popular for the average player, but some people can make fighter-less loadouts work and deal respectable sums of damage.

Members
1,451 posts
11,026 battles

To answer your question, USN CVs from tier 5-8 has the loadout with no fighters. They focus on attack, but is vulnerable to enemy fighters from both carrier and catapult launchers.

As for self defence agains carrier attacks:

1. Operate as a group, never go alone, for combined AA cover. Except you are in a DD

2. Always observe mini map for the position of enemy planes

3. Act when you see enemy planes are coming, not until they start to drop bombs, it will be way tooooo late

4. Always turn into enemy torp/torp planes. There are both game mechanics and mathematics reasons behind it, but I will save it here.

5. You do not miss all your salvos all the time, so do not expect to be able to dodge all carrier attacks all the time. If you are in a battleship, getting hit by 1 or even 2 torps can be considered as a good dodge. But it depends on situation of course.

Hope these can help you a bit

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

It's the option suitable for advanced players looking to seal club, because of the necessity of knowing how to deal with fighters.  As for dealing with air attack, at T5 and below there isn't really much you can do besides group up to increase the damage output of your team's AA umbrella.  Some ships at T5 do get pretty good AA, notably Texas and Kirov, but the lack of defensive fire is crippling to your ability to fend off strikes on your own, hence you usually can't without taking hits.

You could always just pray you have a Yubari on your team, but don't count on it.

Beta Testers
2,589 posts
8,799 battles

Yes, USN Strike loadouts T5-8 are gimped with zero fighters, whereas the IJN strike loadouts get at least one fighter squad, if not two.

Fair and balanced comrades!

Alpha Tester
7,170 posts
4,070 battles

The USN is severly gimped with packages with no fighters, but they're also normally they're best setups to actually get any XP what-so-ever.

Trying to use USN CVs with the Air Superiority setup not only isn't very fun, but it's absolutely awful for making any credits or XP.

The USN CV flavor is being awful. And WG is perfectly fine with that.

[OPGS]
Members
608 posts
4,038 battles

Fighterless CVs aren't popular with anyone other than the CVs.

Except it's not popular even amongst CVs.

[WHARF]
Beta Testers
134 posts
22,302 battles

Except it's not popular even amongst CVs.

I don't see US CVs very often but in the recent 0.5.6/0.5.7 patch enviroment about 2/3 of the US CVs I see run fighterless loadouts. This is in the Tier 6-8 range.

[OPGS]
Members
608 posts
4,038 battles

I don't see US CVs very often but in the recent 0.5.6/0.5.7 patch enviroment about 2/3 of the US CVs I see run fighterless loadouts. This is in the Tier 6-8 range.

Weird, i've been seeing a lot of 1-1-1 or figher loadout. Bombers tend to make them easy prey to ennemy fighters so they sometime end up with lower damage than if they took another loadout. 2 USN with bomber loadout could work for them when it happen tho.

Members
5,424 posts
3,448 battles

Strike loadouts are definitely the way to go, you actually help your team by doing damage (and lots of it), and you actually get to earn XP at the rate of a normal ship. People who run fighter loadouts do so merely for the satisfaction of griefing other CV players at their teams expense and at the expense of earning any XP whatsoever.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

For that range people tend to run strike because USN strike CVs have the potential to deliver very heavy knockout blows and thus have a good chance of succeeding in a CV snipe regardless of what fighters might do (assuming the player is good enough).  At T8+ CVs get Defensive AA hence why the strike loadouts aren't so popular at higher tiers, and at T5 and below nobody except a Yubari or Nicholas will have the possibility of equipping Defensive Fire so there's no point in sniping a CV when you can just bomb surface ships before his fighters get there and laugh as your bombers outrun the enemy fighters while retreating.

Edited by TenguBlade