You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Graf_Von_Spee

Broadside to Russian cruisers

32 comments in this topic

Members
9 posts
9,023 battles

As a Russian cruiser player I've noticed that tons of people give me flat broadsides even at close range. I'm guessing they think "Oh that Budyonny only has 152mm guns I'll be fine" but it still baffles me. It's well known by now how BRUTAL Russian cruiser AP is regardless of caliber. Anyone else get this a lot?

Members
2,054 posts
2,359 battles

As a Russian cruiser player I've noticed that tons of people give me flat broadsides even at close range. I'm guessing they think "Oh that Budyonny only has 152mm guns I'll be fine" but it still baffles me. It's well known by now how BRUTAL Russian cruiser AP is regardless of caliber. Anyone else get this a lot?

They're not thinking that.. In fact, they're not doing much thinking. They're only thought process probably is "get all the guns on that guy!"

It's not a thing with your Buddy, those same players probably do it to all sorts of other ships as well

Edited by Camping4XP
  • Cool 2

[PLPT]
Members
4,435 posts
6,599 battles

I've killed many battleships that show their broadsides to light cruisers because they think that. At close range, even an Atlanta's AP will still do over 8k per salvo.

[-KIA-]
Senior Volunteer Moderator, Beta Testers, Supertester, Privateers, Senior Volunteer Moderator
6,550 posts
8,491 battles

Huehuehue

Show Molotov broadside?

You won't after I'm done with you...

Huehuehue

Members
2,054 posts
2,359 battles

Huehuehue

Show Molotov broadside?

Huehuehue

Because two things happened

A) Molotov got citadelled through the nose :^)

B) Troll Tier 9 guns clubbing

[IPWA]
Beta Testers
452 posts
7,032 battles

Huehuehue

Show Molotov broadside?

Huehuehue

Actually, they still will after they forget about it in about 1/2 of a game :fishpalm:

[-KIA-]
Senior Volunteer Moderator, Beta Testers, Supertester, Privateers, Senior Volunteer Moderator
6,550 posts
8,491 battles

Actually, they still will after they forget about it in about 1/2 of a game :fishpalm:

True that.

[IPWA]
Beta Testers
452 posts
7,032 battles

True that.

ENDLESS SEALS TO CLUB MUAHAHAHAHAH

owait im noob arent i

plsno

Edited by RumblingMouse

[Y0L0K]
Members
1,041 posts
13,489 battles

Huehuehue

Show Molotov broadside?

Huehuehue

Lol same could be said about the Molotov that I recently deleted with my Indy....She showed me her cits *gasps*  lol.

[IPWA]
Beta Testers
452 posts
7,032 battles

Lol same could be said about the Molotov that I recently deleted with my Indy....She showed me her cits *gasps*  lol.

Indy is basically an American Molotov without torps and with better armor.

Also Myoko arcs is gr8

Members
2,054 posts
2,359 battles

ENDLESS SEALS TO CLUB MUAHAHAHAHAH

owait im noob arent i

plsno

Pick up a Molotov now and even you can be a seal clubber now too! 

Disclaimer: Seal clubbing not guaranteed

*Separate shipping and handling. 

Members
2,054 posts
2,359 battles

The moment the Molotov is within range of any ship, it is showing its cits regardless of angle

• Cool 1

[KMS2]
Members
10,919 posts
4,863 battles

Need to play the game more... Thought you were referring to the Independence, not the Indianapolis. >.<

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

XD you'd be amazed the amount of broadsides I got shown in my k-berg, and now the Nurnberg.

And then there's the time an enemy Aoba gave my Aoba a broadside to start and my opening salvo ripped off over 3/4 of his Health...

XD

As long as people keep ignoring cruiser AP, and assume we're just HE spam machines, I'm fine.

Especially in ranked.

Funnily enough, because their HE is such crap, and the AP is so good, I've actually stopped using HE on anything but DDs in my 6in German cruisers. The AP does killer damage vs BBs, and cruisers.

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

Many times to have to make a choice.

Either give a BB your broadside, which is very bad. Or give a Cruiser your broadside which is not as bad. I will give any cruiser my broadside over a BB 9/10....

[Y0L0K]
Members
1,041 posts
13,489 battles

XD you'd be amazed the amount of broadsides I got shown in my k-berg, and now the Nurnberg.

And then there's the time an enemy Aoba gave my Aoba a broadside to start and my opening salvo ripped off over 3/4 of his Health...

XD

As long as people keep ignoring cruiser AP, and assume we're just HE spam machines, I'm fine.

Especially in ranked.

Funnily enough, because their HE is such crap, and the AP is so good, I've actually stopped using HE on anything but DDs in my 6in German cruisers. The AP does killer damage vs BBs, and cruisers.

AP is what the KM CAs do best!

[Y0L0K]
Members
1,041 posts
13,489 battles

Many times to have to make a choice.

Either give a BB your broadside, which is very bad. Or give a Cruiser your broadside which is not as bad. I will give any cruiser my broadside over a BB 9/10....

I'd still think long and hard about giving ships like the Indianapolis or Molotov a broadside... As someone already mentioned a lot of the CA captains are getting wiser on when to use AP.  And I can speak from my own experience that W,A,S,D hacking is a must to avoid being cit'd or being struck for devastating damage.

Edited by Kapitan_Donovan

[IPWA]
Beta Testers
452 posts
7,032 battles

Pick up a Molotov now and even you can be a seal clubber now too! 

Disclaimer: Seal clubbing not guaranteed

*Separate shipping and handling. 

Kirov = poor person's Molotov

Beta Testers
783 posts
4,031 battles

Brutally horrible well describes Russian AP.

But as bad as they are even under-gunned and horrible performance Russian AP will still citadel flat broadside cruisers. The issue is that ships are overly fragile in general in this game and most players are super bad.

[SOLOH]
[SOLOH]
Beta Testers
4,320 posts

I love it when a Russian cruiser shows his broadside to my Warspite feels so good I need a smoke afterwards 

[-_W_-]
Members
1,089 posts
2,418 battles

Don't broadside to anything capable of hurting you. Don't broadside to a BB ever. Don't broadside to a DD if you're in their torp range. Don't broadside to a cruiser if you're not a BB. If you're a BB, don't broadside anyways if you're at close range.

So basically, "Sailing broadside on? That's a paddling." No qualifiers needed. In some situations it might be a worse paddling than others, but it's always a paddling.

Edited by Izolyn
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
349 posts
6,277 battles

Seems as good a place as any to ask- just starting the game again, and going up the Soviet crusier line. Right now at the Kirov. 

I know I should use AP vs any cruisers i encounter, and HE vs DD's. But for the BB's- are the Kirov and up's guns good enough that I should always shoot AP at BB's at close range? (If they've given me their side)  Or are some of teh tiers simply never going to pen even flat sides?

Just trying to figure out what to shoot at who with these ships.

Thanks!

[Y0L0K]
Members
1,041 posts
13,489 battles

Seems as good a place as any to ask- just starting the game again, and going up the Soviet crusier line. Right now at the Kirov. 

I know I should use AP vs any cruisers i encounter, and HE vs DD's. But for the BB's- are the Kirov and up's guns good enough that I should always shoot AP at BB's at close range? (If they've given me their side)  Or are some of teh tiers simply never going to pen even flat sides?

Just trying to figure out what to shoot at who with these ships.

Thanks!

In my experience, AP is what I use about 65-70% of the time against CAs and BBs.  With DDs, just go for HE because the reloads on RU CAs is pretty quick and switching ammo types isn't really a hassle.  Any time a BB or CA is angled away from you, you're better off going with HE.  If they're angled TOWARDS you, it's a gamble... you might pen with AP or overpen, so you may have to trial in error if that's the case.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,167 posts
30,926 battles

They're not thinking that.. In fact, they're not doing much thinking. They're only thought process probably is "get all the guns on that guy!"

It's not a thing with your Buddy, those same players probably do it to all sorts of other ships as well

You see that mistake all the time in low tiers.  BBs, Cruisers, doesn't matter.  It's even worse however when you see a teammate doing this at higher tiers.  Nothing is more horrifying than watching guys at upper tiers from your team sailing full broadside to the enemy the entire time.