You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
VGLance

Caps aren't everything in ranked, staying alive to contribute toward the win is.

25 comments in this topic

Banned
2,229 posts
11,923 battles

Playing a Nagato while my captain is retraining.  In jest, at the start of the match I told everyone that I'm playing without any captain skills (screenshot on the replay as proof, but you can also tell because my situational awareness never went off), so if they finish below me on the leader board, they should spank themselves. :P

http://wowreplays.com/Replay/10186

• Typical match where noobs freak out about caps and suicide trying to get them too early.
  • Typical match where noobs complain about me sniping from long range.
  • Typical match where they openly assume it's a loss.
  • Typical match where they don't admit afterwards they were wrong on all fronts

The #1 priority players should focus on in ranked battles is patience.  Focusing on doing what is necessary to maximize your contribution only up to the point that you live LONGER THAN 10 MINUTES.  Anyone who dies before the 10 minute mark no matter how much they think they did, has no excuse whatsoever to point the finger at anyone else (Typical response, "Thanks for not supporting me.").  You and you alone are responsible for keeping yourself alive longer than 10 minutes.  That doesn't mean hiding behind islands and not contributing just to make it past 10 minutes.  It's about not suiciding.  Top ranked players know how to maintain that equilibrium between conservation and aggression.

If you are struggling horribly in ranked, keep track of how long you're lasting in each battle and if you aren't lasting longer than 10 minutes in at least 7 out of every 8 battles, try playing a bit more conservatively until you get to that point.  Any player that has hit ranked 1 already will tell you that playing too aggressively and dying too early is not the way to get to rank 1.

• Cool 3

[ASHIP]
Members
5,454 posts
12,925 battles

I agree that caps aren't really that important. For most maps with 2 caps only, you basically need to decide which cap is yours at the start and take it. After that you play standard battle. In some cases you are able to get the second capture, but it's not as necessary as killing ships.

Maps with 3 caps are a little different. You still have one base each with a cap to fight over. Controlling this cap is preferable, as the enemy will have to take risks in order to sieze control. On maps like Shatter however it is easy to stall the cap due to corners and such.

Members
5,450 posts
21,020 battles

This is what I try to tell captains. Take One cap and keep it, defend it and if there is a middle cap make the other team die for it. 

Also you can't die unless you take a ship with you. Dying before the 10 minute mark isn't so bad when you take one of those red suckers with you, take two if you're feeling daring. 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

DD play is cap based, but you have to play it wisely.   when I go cap   fighting early in the ranked match, I always have a exit strategy.      if enemy only has mutsuki or hatsu,  I may consider pushing if my alarm goes off, but otherwise,  I won't fight for the cap early on unless I have big advantage.       if majority of enemy  is coming toward cap I am scouting, I go into cap delay mode as I bail back to the team.   this gets us the lead.  on 3 cap map, I normally go for center with the team .  control of center is very important and huge advantage in most cases.        at least against lesser players,  if you can  hit the enemy dd  with couple volleys first,  that is a big advantage and will panick them into retreat, which gives me more chance to do shoot them.       you have play it tactically sound if you want to win with DD, and dying early is bad thing.  :)   scatter is my favorite ranked map as  DD can really control the win/loss.  if you control the center,  you basically win.

Edited by centarina

[-KIA-]
Senior Volunteer Moderator, Beta Testers, Supertester, Privateers, Senior Volunteer Moderator
6,550 posts
8,491 battles

I like it when the enemy has DDs and we don't. (Thanks MM)

They get 3 caps and we get none

= Loss unless we are a really good team.

[SALVO]
Members
28,053 posts
41,578 battles

I agree that caps aren't really that important. For most maps with 2 caps only, you basically need to decide which cap is yours at the start and take it. After that you play standard battle. In some cases you are able to get the second capture, but it's not as necessary as killing ships.

Maps with 3 caps are a little different. You still have one base each with a cap to fight over. Controlling this cap is preferable, as the enemy will have to take risks in order to sieze control. On maps like Shatter however it is easy to stall the cap due to corners and such.

This is key.  I disagree with the overly general statement that "caps aren't everything" ... sort of.  You don't have to fight recklessly to gain every cap.  But you do need to have at least ONE cap, whether it's 2 or 3 cap mode.  In 2 cap mode, like you said above, once you have one cap (and presumably the other team has a cap) it becomes a battle of ships vs ships, rather than a battle of caps.  In 3 cap mode, you still need at least one cap so that you don't get roflstomped on points.  But once you have a cap (and presumably they have a cap), it's all about the middle cap.  And you don't necessarily have to take it, though I also wouldn't concede it without a fight.  Of course, if they're willing to give it to you without a fight, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. 

OTOH, the OP is correct that staying alive to help the team is important.  When your ship is sunk, your ability to help the team has ended, and you're dependent on your team win the battle.  Personally, I'd rather stay alive and depend on myself to help the team win.

• Cool 1

[APOC]
Alpha Tester
1,938 posts
7,693 battles

• Typical match where they don't admit afterwards they were wrong on all fronts

Two people actually admitted they were wrong today. Was like pulling teeth to try and get them to fight as a team, to set the DD's an objective that when completed would help win the game. So one of the guys just keeps going his own way, a BB. The rest fell in and fought as a unit. Just about the end of the match the two guys up and admitted they were wrong, and learned something new for that particular map. Don't remember your names but as I said in the game chat....

o7 Shipmates. Remember, sometimes the guy you think is just some snot armchair admiral actually is the real deal.

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

I cant convey how happy I am you are picking up BBs for ranked VG....

Banned
2,229 posts
11,923 battles

I cant convey how happy I am you are picking up BBs for ranked VG....

Thanks man.  I'm just as happy....

Just three battles so far today:

jYgxHlY.jpg

eIoxztf.jpg

iC2PfKe.jpg

Beta Testers
730 posts
2,345 battles

Saying something "in jest" is already stupefying the stunted mental abilities of your teammates, sowing fear and confusion

[T-SEC]
[T-SEC]
Members
122 posts
6,799 battles

Caps can be the game...  Leave your base undefended and you will loose. Have to play as a team...  A lone BB is a target... 

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

Besides...

Rolling into a cap with a Secondaries Spec Colo/Nagato and wrecking it is fun times....

[CRAYN]
Beta Testers
2,085 posts
4,674 battles

Aren't you the one who camps in the back of the map with Shchors and then blames the team for all dying with no cruiser support?

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

Aren't you the one who camps in the back of the map with Shchors and then blames the team for all dying with no cruiser support?

:popcorn:

Banned
2,229 posts
11,923 battles

Cruiser support isn't why a DD suicides under 5 minutes.  If I were to be up there "supporting" the impatient DD in a Shchors, I'd be one shot citadeled and join them back to port in less than 5 min.  A DD like any other ship is responsible for his own health and staying alive to last the game.  The players that ranked to 1 know this, why don't you?

You see it every match.  DD rushes into cap, gets jumped by 2-3 DDs and 1-2 cruisers and as he tries to run, dies.  Didn't even wait for the rest of our team to get in range to help.  And even if we returned fire, he'd still be dead.  You know this.  Pretending you don't is just trolling.

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles

Caps are extremely important. What's even more important is how you go about getting them, and that's where people [edited]up.

It's one of the reasons I stopped playing Blys. Either the other DDs got nuked too quickly or were too timid; either way I always ended up having to poke the bear with my mini-cruiser. I'm pretty good at it, but Blys sucks at it. Fortunately I'm now in the 5-1 bracket, so I don't have to worry about DD play. The only time people derp out is when they forget they don't have to carry anymore and try to do too much by themselves.

[SYN]
Supertester
301 posts
26,926 battles

Cruisers take a lot of hurt in Season 4, so I've given up on Myoko (I got to Rank 8 and lost 2 stars immediately afterward due to a Mutsuki that hid in a corner without even being chased and a Colorado who chickened out when we all agreed to clump around him to push.) Nagato seems to be way to go since the only T7 DD I have is Hatsu.

[APOC]
Alpha Tester
1,938 posts
7,693 battles

Cruisers take a lot of hurt in Season 4

Nagato seems to be way to go since the only T7 DD I have is Hatsu.

Agreed

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,829 posts

Wish they would make CA's/CL's worth playing...

My fav tree but they are just pathetic Bait anytime a BB decide its time to die...

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,306 battles

IN those, you really only need to have 'one' at the start, then worry about killing the enemy and take the others when the chance presents itself..

To get from 14>13 it took me in an Indianapolis to cap all 3 points, 2 of which happened after we cleared out all of their cruisers and their only remaining BB was behind me was 16km+ behind me at that point.

The danger of not capping is if you aren't killing the enemy. If you get a cap point early it pressures the team to have to advance into your team.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

IN those, you really only need to have 'one' at the start, then worry about killing the enemy and take the others when the chance presents itself..

To get from 14>13 it took me in an Indianapolis to cap all 3 points, 2 of which happened after we cleared out all of their cruisers and their only remaining BB was behind me was 16km+ behind me at that point.

The danger of not capping is if you aren't killing the enemy. If you get a cap point early it pressures the team to have to advance into your team.

that is why good DD player can really give you an advantage.  it is also map dependent to a degree

3 point domination and especially on scatter,  getting center cap is huge bonus.      on 2 cap that is  separated,  getting cap point lead gives you more option.   good DD buys you more options and advantages, but you need quality support from BBs   (more so than cruisers)   why having smaller number of BB is tough challenge more than DD number.

Members
259 posts
3,328 battles

The #1 priority players should focus on in ranked battles is patience.

QFT.....Totally agree, I have been trying to remain alive longer by not pressing caps and taking a more conservative stance early (in Hatsu). I make a point of always playing a Random between ranked matches too, which has helped me avoid any real bad losing streaks when titled. I have found that hitting the battle button right after a win or lose has me coming into mission to aggressively minded. Even though the Hatsu isn't a ship that can force a engagement with anything other than a BB, there is still so much you can do to help secure a win if you simply remain alive.

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,306 battles

that is why good DD player can really give you an advantage.  it is also map dependent to a degree

3 point domination and especially on scatter,  getting center cap is huge bonus.      on 2 cap that is  separated,  getting cap point lead gives you more option.   good DD buys you more options and advantages, but you need quality support from BBs   (more so than cruisers)   why having smaller number of BB is tough challenge more than DD number.

Eh our DD was garbage, which is why I needed to cap. The biggest thing I've been finding is if you take out the Cruisers, unless the opposing Teams BBs move up.

DDs can't stop a Cruiser from simply bullying them off of a Cap point (which is why we won that game I mentioned because a Hatsu isn't going to do much outside of die trying to stop an Indy from capping).

All things considered, they need to adjust how xp gets awarded in Ranked, as it is massively promoting a DD-centric game play which is not exactly all that great of time.

Doing double the average damage for the ship (58,000 damage~) and 3 cap points translates into 3,300 score

easily 2/3s of that came from capping.

Edited by Sakuzhi

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

the fact that BB had to cap meant that one part of your team failed.  it happens and you have to make a best of it if you want to win, no matter what you are driving.   at r11-22,  good player can carry.  it gets tougher at R10 though, as quality of player base is lot higher.        DDs really don't push against other class that well, and smart BB can easily handle DD and bully it off but it is risky if they are unsupported.     

The key to BB play is dmg dealing (especially killing CA) and soaking up hits.     DD is about  cap control, scouting  and harassment .   US DD is best  for cap  while blysk/kiev is harassment  and Hatsu is scouting but they do overlap a lot.      I really find cruiser to be anemic in ranked.   they are really the support class and toughest to play well. 

Beta Testers
7,130 posts
7,306 battles

the fact that BB had to cap meant that one part of your team failed. 

Indy is a Cruiser, and yes. Most of that team was doing everything they could to lose the match, outside of our CV who was johnny on the Spot with Manual drops.

I really find cruiser to be anemic in ranked.   they are really the support class and toughest to play well. 

That is true, but I've been managing lately fairly well with it (now that I'm actually playing continually instead of having days between matches so my aim gets better), if the cruiser pop is low I'd likely need to switch out of the indy.

Edited by Sakuzhi