You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Arbinshire

I citadeled a Texas in a Sims

58 comments in this topic

Members
32 posts
1,636 battles

Wow, is the Sims' AP round actually that good? Having only played IJN DDs and only up to the Minekaze, I always just use HE since there's no real difference in damage between the two and AP is just more likely to bounce.

[NSF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,304 posts
9,284 battles

I am convinced that some ship have holes in their armor.

Just the other day I citpenned a Colorado with AP from Cleveland....at 14.5km.

• Cool 1

Members
5,450 posts
21,020 battles

Did some crew member of the Texas leave a hatch open? Or did your crew get their hands on some of the legendary Stalinum rounds? 

[RSRC]
Beta Testers
1,258 posts
9,265 battles

Wow, is the Sims' AP round actually that good? Having only played IJN DDs and only up to the Minekaze, I always just use HE since there's no real difference in damage between the two and AP is just more likely to bounce.

Not really, but you can do good damage shooting under the front turrets of BBs and such. The tracers in that screenshot are where I was aiming and got the cit.

Members
6,586 posts
8,564 battles

I'm starting to think that something might be up with the NY/Texas' armor model(or maybe their armor is just that bad and I don't recall it being so when I played through the NY). I know the NY class doesn't have spectacular bow armor, or spectacular armor in general, but it's seems odd that DD AP would pen the belt at 5km or a CA's 8" guns would easily pen the belt under 7km.

But a while ago, I saw a video of someone play testing the new Furutaka C hull against stationary bots in the training room. When he got to the part where he was shooting at the tier 5 BBs, he found that he couldn't pen a broadside Kongou under 7km with Furu's 8" guns, but he could citadel a slightly angled NY straight through the belt with Furu's 8" guns.

I haven't tested this myself, but after seeing this, I'm leaning towards something being wrong with the armor model.

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles

Texas doesn't have AoN or an extended belt, so there's going to be that inevitable weak spot for those one-in-a-million shots. You can actually do this to any BB with relatively comparable shell/armor weights. I've scored two citadels at range against Montanas with my New Orleans, for example.

Banned
2,485 posts
977 battles

I am convinced that some ship have holes in their armor.

Just the other day I citpenned a Colorado with AP from Cleveland....at 14.5km.

They do. Secondary guns on the side count as holes, so it's entirely possible to loop an AP shot through them.

Beta Testers
3,000 posts
4,522 battles

No it's downright awful.

With Gremy alone Omaha can be cit at a broadside starting roughly 8km.

With 5" guns like Sims it is ~5km in the same situation.

[RSRC]
Beta Testers
1,258 posts
9,265 battles

No it's downright awful.

With Gremy alone Omaha can be cit at a broadside starting roughly 8km.

With 5" guns like Sims it is ~5km in the same situation.

Pretty much this. You have to be extremely close to pen belts with Sims, but there are a few areas you can aim for to get standard pens on BBs. Superstructures on Nagato and American BBs are also pennable at around 6km.

[-_W_-]
Members
1,089 posts
2,418 battles

There being some sort of weak spot in Texas/NY's armor would make sense. I hit a citadel on a New York from about 16km in Molotov using the spotting plane, something I have since resoundingly failed to replicate against much closer NYs and Texases.

[SVER]
Beta Testers
3,810 posts
10,030 battles

I can cit a new york with a cruiser, yeah I think the low tier american armor is just odd. 

[PSV]
Privateers
5,523 posts
6,129 battles

I'm starting to think that something might be up with the NY/Texas' armor model(or maybe their armor is just that bad and I don't recall it being so when I played through the NY). I know the NY class doesn't have spectacular bow armor, or spectacular armor in general, but it's seems odd that DD AP would pen the belt at 5km or a CA's 8" guns would easily pen the belt under 7km.

But a while ago, I saw a video of someone play testing the new Furutaka C hull against stationary bots in the training room. When he got to the part where he was shooting at the tier 5 BBs, he found that he couldn't pen a broadside Kongou under 7km with Furu's 8" guns, but he could citadel a slightly angled NY straight through the belt with Furu's 8" guns.

I haven't tested this myself, but after seeing this, I'm leaning towards something being wrong with the armor model.

Japanese AP shells have terrible penetration when it comes to their own battleships. The USN have weaker broadside armor due to how flat it is compared to the IJN, is my guess. Anyone can penetrate the side of USN BBs, but some have trouble with the sides of IJN BBs

[RSRC]
Beta Testers
1,258 posts
9,265 battles

Japanese AP shells have terrible penetration when it comes to their own battleships. The USN have weaker broadside armor due to how flat it is compared to the IJN, is my guess. Anyone can penetrate the side of USN BBs, but some have trouble with the sides of IJN BBs

USN BB armor is consistently easier to pen than IJN BBs, even at the belt, and the weak spots of USN BBs are much easier to hit in my opinion. It's especially noticeable when you shoot AP out of DD guns, or something like 152mm American or Russian guns.

USN BB armor schemes are just really insufficient against low caliber guns, but IJN BBs are incredibly resilient against smaller calibers.

[EPOXY]
Wiki Editor, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,899 posts
13,522 battles

Texas doesn't have AoN or an extended belt, so there's going to be that inevitable weak spot for those one-in-a-million shots. You can actually do this to any BB with relatively comparable shell/armor weights. I've scored two citadels at range against Montanas with my New Orleans, for example.

that's because WG can't make non-square citadels.  if you hit a specific spot in the torpedo bulge at a specific angle, you'll pen it and trigger the citadel zone, despite not penning the belt.