Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

Sims vs. Mahan......your choice?

44 comments in this topic

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,129 battles

Hello Captains,

I'm currently up to rank 7 in this season of Ranked Battles, using mainly the Blyskawica, Sims, and Myoko.  Now that I'm in the single digit ranks, I've noticed myself leaning more towards the Sims for her agility, ROF, and lightning turret rotation.  During the course of climbing the US DD tech tree, I skipped past the Mahan to get to Benson (had the Sims to fill my tier 7 US DD niche) for Season 3 of Ranked battles.  But considering the amount of Mahans in Ranked this time around, it got me wondering if I'm missing out on something.

So given the choice to pilot either Sims or Mahan in Ranked, what would you choose and why?  Other than an extra gun and moderately better torps, does she bring anything else to the table that Sims doesn't? 

I look forward to hearing your feedback.

Members
11,964 posts
6,273 battles

As the torpedoes on the Sims stand currently, Mahan. If they ever redo the torps on the Sims, however, I'd take the Sims

[-BWS]
Beta Testers
1,896 posts
13,809 battles

Sims, if you want credits and retrain Captians, I would take the Sims. I gave up on the USN DD Line long ago in favor of the Sims, Lo yang and Anshan

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
3,176 posts
7,789 battles

As the torpedoes on the Sims stand currently, Mahan. If they ever redo the torps on the Sims, however, I'd take the Sims

Torpedoes usually don't decide a match, so that's really a moot point. Mahan's concealment is so trash that I swapped it out for the Hatsuharu and saw instant improvement in my overall performance. When people are running 15-pt Blyskawica with CE, Mahan is completely outclassed.

Alpha Tester
6,683 posts
3,338 battles

Stick with the Blyskawica. Better guns, nearly equal torps, equal if not better in speed and agility.

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Of these two, Sims every time. Pros: speed, firepower, unmatched maneuverability, glorious invisi fire. Cons: hilaribad 9 km torpedo speed (I run them nonetheless).

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,075 battles

Sims, she's the better brawler/knife fighter.

[SALTY]
Members
8,930 posts
18,129 battles

sims available on weekend, I am hoping

She'll be on sale starting on the 26th.  I'm already shuddering at the possibility of Ranked battles turning into World of Sims.

Members
5,206 posts
3,461 battles

If you're not getting the job done in a Mahan, chances are a Sims won't change that. Offering the ship during it's moment in the sun wouldn't exactly hurt sales, either :trollface:

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles

Sims, since I could then move my 17 point Fletcher captain over......

This + money.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

If you're not getting the job done in a Mahan, chances are a Sims won't change that. Offering the ship during it's moment in the sun wouldn't exactly hurt sales, either :trollface:

I went with farragut instead of mahan. didn't want to retrain my captain and I already has 11point captain in farragut.    sims would allow me to run my benson captain.   if   ranked will never be 8, I may move him over to fletcher.  hmm.  

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
322 posts
4,470 battles

As somebody who has hated Mahan in every stage of this this game's development, Sims. I recently got Mahan back again, and still find it to be unbearable, despite the buffs to it. Its bad detection rating and poor speed really makes it terrible for objective control, IMO, and objective control is what I bring destroyers into ranked for to begin with.

322 posts
4,470 battles

I used Farragut to great effect in the earlier ranks. I've taken a few days' hiatus from ranked to grind out credits to fund my Iowa, but I'll end up returning, using Sims from now on.

Members
7,307 posts
3,304 battles

mahan is worse than farragut for cap control.  :)

Yep, spotted too easily, almost 8km. Sims is also better at cap control than the Farragut. Faster guns, almost 3 kts faster than the Farragut and best of all, it allows any captain to jump in it. I can use my 18pt Gearing captain in it

Members
302 posts
6,775 battles

I've yet to run into a sims that I can't beat in my Mahan. Sims is slightly more maneuverable, but has essentially the same detection range with CE, one less gun and lacks the third torpedo launcher.

[MELON]
1,219 posts
3,917 battles

Can agree with Zara about fixing the Sims torps so that they go 9.2km while doing the damage of the 5.5km torps, just like when they did that for every other USN DD after the buff. The Atlanta guns make it easy to wreck any other ranked DD 1-1.

[MAUS]
Members
13,684 posts

Of these two, Sims every time. Pros: speed, firepower, unmatched maneuverability, glorious invisi fire. Cons: hilaribad 9 km torpedo speed (I run them nonetheless).

Sims has no firepower advantage over the Mahan and has it worse overall.  The only thing the Sims can do is bring her guns to bear faster.  The Sims suffers more from individual gun loss than the Mahan as well.  Her invisi-fire is of questionable use against anything other than the derpiest of BBs as she has nearly a 12s lead time to the inside of her out-of-the-box invisi-fire range of 11.1km.

SIMS:

18rpm x 4 guns = 72rpm.

BFT 20rpm x 4 guns = 80rpm

MAHAN

15rpm x 5guns = 75rpm

BFT 16.5rpm x5 guns = 82.5rpm.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Sims has no firepower advantage over the Mahan and has it worse overall.  The only thing the Sims can do is bring her guns to bear faster.  The Sims suffers more from individual gun loss than the Mahan as well.  Her invisi-fire is of questionable use against anything other than the derpiest of BBs as she has nearly a 12s lead time to the inside of her out-of-the-box invisi-fire range of 11.1km.

SIMS:

18rpm x 4 guns = 72rpm.

BFT 20rpm x 4 guns = 80rpm

MAHAN

15rpm x 5guns = 75rpm

BFT 18rpm x5 guns = 82.5rpm.

Thanks, interesting point. I never bothered to run the numbers since Sims always felt to me like she was putting out more shells downrange over time... I guess it's a false impression.

Regarding derpy BBs... As a BB, one can hardly dodge even the most orbital of shots from around 11-12 km away. Plus being fired upon by an invisible threat tends to cause people to panic and make mistakes. I've had some success invisi-firing at cruisers as well, though it doesn't work against just any player and any ship. I think the invisi-fire mechanic in general is broken and OP.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

farragut is slightly smaller,  weaker/slower  than sims with similar ROF /range.    I don't mind 6.4km torps on farragut and they can be effective due to fast speed.         guns between 3 ships are same, but  if there is CV,  sims is better due to DF.   speed also helps.    also,  mostly bit extra range on the gun is nice to have for harassing.     you can do well with any of the 3 if the captain is competent.   

Ranked is lot of knife fighting and team work, but individual skill matters more than ship when they are close in capability. 

Sign in to follow this