Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Wowzery

MM and Divisions

21 comments in this topic

Members
4,608 posts

Seen this several times including today now twice.  Was in two matches, one in my Tirpitz and the other in Texas.  First game, everyone was T7-9, except for 2 on my team, they were T6 in a division with a T7.  The next game in the Texas was a T3-5 with a division having a T1, 2, and 3, in it.

Why does MM put such divisions in such games?

MM puts these people in bad games.  Why does it use the highest tier to put these division in?  Its not like these division were bad either.  T6-7 and even a 1-3 isn't too bad (not talking about those idiots, um players, who play a T1 and division with a T10).  Why does MM screw players, teams and division up so much?

Members
997 posts
2,054 battles

Why does it use the highest tier to put these division in?

To prevent people from abusing the system any other way. 

Edited by INoCU
  • Cool 1

[CJN]
Beta Testers
719 posts
9,350 battles

To prevent a high tier ship from dominating in a low tier match.

[A-D-F]
Members
7,877 posts
43,446 battles

The easy fix is for the software to reject a Division when players are at different tiers. People will abuse otherwise screwing up the teams.

I do not mind seeing them in Coop as it is mirrored; (saw a T3 in a T8 battle yesterday - silly), but in PvP it is downright nasty for them to screw your team that way.

If you want to play for giggles, go to Coop.

If you want to introduce and teach a friend, get a T1 or whatever tier he is at and play at the same tier. Easy.

[SALVO]
Members
28,054 posts
41,689 battles

The easy fix is for the software to reject a Division when players are at different tiers. People will abuse otherwise screwing up the teams.

I do not mind seeing them in Coop as it is mirrored; (saw a T3 in a T8 battle yesterday - silly), but in PvP it is downright nasty for them to screw your team that way.

If you want to play for giggles, go to Coop.

If you want to introduce and teach a friend, get a T1 or whatever tier he is at and play at the same tier. Easy.

It's more complex than requiring ships be of the same tiers.  Some ships have different MM.  For example, a tier 3 CA can see up to battle tier 5 battles, while a tier 3 BB only sees up to battle tier 4 battles.  Also,   A division of a tier 10, tier 9, and tier 8 ship would actually not be a fail division because the tier 8 and 9 ships could see tier 10 battles.

A division is a "fail division" is there's a ship in it that would get dragged up to a battle tier that it would not otherwise see if that same ship was playing solo.  And as I've noted above, this doesn't always mean that having all 2-3 ships in the division be at the same tier will prevent a fail division.  Not does it always mean that having different tier ships is automatically a fail division.

WG doesn't make things any easier by giving some ships limited MM (i.e. only +/-1 tier rather than the normal +/-2 tiers).  If all ships were +/-2 tiers defining and recognizing fail divisions would be a little simpler.  But oh well.  Such is life.

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

It's more complex than requiring ships be of the same tiers.  Some ships have different MM.

In software, simplicity is key. Enforce same tier divisions and never deal with fail divisions again. If someone with a tier 4 BB disagrees, well, tough. Seal club with something else, you dirty seal clubber :)

[SALVO]
Members
28,054 posts
41,689 battles

It's more complex than requiring ships be of the same tiers.  Some ships have different MM.

In software, simplicity is key. Enforce same tier divisions and never deal with fail divisions again. If someone with a tier 4 BB disagrees, well, tough. Seal club with something else, you dirty seal clubber :)

Don't go telling me about software development.  I've been a software developer.

The fact remains that same tier divisions could still produce fail divisions, and some multi-tier divisions might NOT be fail divisions.  Pretending otherwise doesn't fix the problem.

I will say that if WG tweaked the existing ships that currently had preferential MM up to the normal +/-2 MM standard, then same tier divisions would be a lot more realistic.

Alpha Tester
17,510 posts

I will say that if WG tweaked the existing ships that currently had preferential MM up to the normal +/-2 MM standard

the Whine would fall like Rain

[SALVO]
Members
28,054 posts
41,689 battles

I will say that if WG tweaked the existing ships that currently had preferential MM up to the normal +/-2 MM standard

the Whine would fall like Rain

Not if the affected ships were buffed appropriately.  (Well, maybe not.  Some people will whine over anything.)

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

View PostCrucis, on 23 June 2016 - 10:05 AM, said:

Don't go telling me about software development.  I've been a software developer.

Well, you shouldn't presume others aren't in the same line of work, you know.

[SALVO]
Members
28,054 posts
41,689 battles

View PostCrucis, on 23 June 2016 - 10:05 AM, said:

Well, you shouldn't presume others aren't in the same line of work, you know.

I'm not the one who talked about software as a justification for oversimplification.  You were.  I only brought it up in self-defense.

Members
357 posts

Because WwarGaming is lazy and assumes that because it's a WarGaming game there will always be enough people at each tier to make the match maker work right and if not that there are thousands more people looking to join to replace the ones that get fed up and leave. Kind of reminds me of SOE right before WoW came out. Fat, lazy, complacent.

The fix wouldn't be terribly difficult. Match maker looks at the highest and lowest tier ships in a division, determines what tiers they overlap at (and thus what games they could be both in), and only puts them in matches that cover said overlapping tiers. So a tier 7 and tier 6 division would only be allowed into matches that were tier 6 to 8 or tier 5 to 7 while a tier 8 and tier 5 division would never be allowed into a match as the two ships would normally never see each other. Basically using the same sort of logic as with single ships only applied to the entire division.

Will it happen? Doubtful. Remember that staff member poll asking about fail divisions? No response, no feedback, nothing. Just dropped off the forums when the heat about fail divisions died down. That is WarGamings method of operation when it comes to customer relations: pretend nothing is wrong until the problem gets too big to ignore then pretend to pay lip service until people get distracted and if the players don't you do the absolute minimum.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

The fact remains that same tier divisions could still produce fail divisions, and some multi-tier divisions might NOT be fail divisions.  Pretending otherwise doesn't fix the problem.

I will say that if WG tweaked the existing ships that currently had preferential MM up to the normal +/-2 MM standard, then same tier divisions would be a lot more realistic.

well, it can just give warning on those ships about losing preferntial MM.  only ship with preferential MM are lower tier anyway,     Ishizuchy being highest one i believe.

Members
997 posts
2,054 battles

The fix wouldn't be terribly difficult. Match maker looks at the highest and lowest tier ships in a division, determines what tiers they overlap at (and thus what games they could be both in), and only puts them in matches that cover said overlapping tiers. So a tier 7 and tier 6 division would only be allowed into matches that were tier 6 to 8 or tier 5 to 7 while a tier 8 and tier 5 division would never be allowed into a match as the two ships would normally never see each other. Basically using the same sort of logic as with single ships only applied to the entire division..

If people used things as intended, then it would be a fix, however people can easily abuse a system like this. In a tier 7, don't want to see tier 9s? find a tier 6 div mate. Want to be top tier all the time? find a sacrificial tier 5 and div with him or her. 

The whole reason MM and divisions are the way they are right now is to prevent MM abuse. 

Members
3,959 posts
7,738 battles

The fix wouldn't be terribly difficult. Match maker looks at the highest and lowest tier ships in a division, determines what tiers they overlap at (and thus what games they could be both in), and only puts them in matches that cover said overlapping tiers. So a tier 7 and tier 6 division would only be allowed into matches that were tier 6 to 8 or tier 5 to 7 while a tier 8 and tier 5 division would never be allowed into a match as the two ships would normally never see each other. Basically using the same sort of logic as with single ships only applied to the entire division.

"Every problem has at least one solution that is simple, easy to understand, and completely wrong" ©

A division of, let's say, Minekaze and Nagato would guarantee that Nagato is always top tier in the match, no exceptions.

Edited by IceSerpen7

Members
4,608 posts

To prevent a high tier ship from dominating in a low tier match.

Yes, but the divisions that were in the game were not badly outbalanced.  Two T6, and a T7, put placed in a T7-9 game?  Why not in a T6-8 game?  Or even a division with T1, 2, 3, placed in a T3-5 game, instead of a T2-4, or even a T1-3 game.

Personally I think there does need to be something to limit extremes from divisioning up.  Its silly for a T1 ship to division with a T10 ship.

Edited by Wowzery

[QC103]
Beta Testers
1,395 posts
16,457 battles

Not if the affected ships were buffed appropriately.  (Well, maybe not.  Some people will whine over anything.)

Some players whine because they can, some because they want to, and still others because that's all they know  :trollface:

[BLNCE]
Members
13,459 posts
44,054 battles

WG won't do anything about fail divisions, because WG likes them. They lead to collapses, which shorten games.

Sign in to follow this