Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Destroyer_HatsuzukiKai

Why does detonation still a thing?

132 comments in this topic

Members
528 posts
5,835 battles

I'm not salty because I get detonated or anything like that.

But seriously, it does not contribute with anything good to the game, anybody likes that "feature" and it is really frustrating for every player especially when you are full hp at the star of the match and get detonated 2min. into the game.

• Cool 6

Members
2,054 posts
2,359 battles

it's not as if it happens alot to every individual player. My percentage of detonations to games is below 0.5%

• Cool 1

Members
163 posts
16,716 battles

Because: WG decided to include some level of realism.

I like the realism to be honest, even if it comes at my expense.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,191 posts
12,721 battles

Mine is .89 % only .

[KMS3]
Members
1,293 posts
7,943 battles

I've been playing for a while and can count 3 times that I've been detonated.  I like the feature for the most part, yeah I hate it when it happens to me but hey in reality it could happen with that lucky shot.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Apparently people think it's a good mechanic.

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/83101-remove-detonations-from-ranked-battles/page__p__2029066#entry2029066

Here's a post i made a while back asking for the removal of detonations from Ranked Battles. Amazingly, a majority of the population support detonations.

Some of the reasons they stated: "It's fun when i detonate other ships"  "it's realistic"  "it balances the game"  "we have detonation flags"  "it teaches you to respect the game" (i have no idea what that's about)  "the majority support it"

To be honest, if people really feel that detonations are a good mechanic there's nothing we can do about it because majority wins in this world. 

[RSRC]
Beta Testers
1,258 posts
9,265 battles

I read this thread about 20 minutes after I have a very fun ranked battle.

http://wowreplays.com/Replay/10147

Needless to say, I'm not playing ranked without detonation flags again. Fortunately I got top experience so me throwing the game didn't lose me a star.

And yes, I was salty.

Short description: I kill two destroyers on B with very nearly all my HP remaining, then a cleveland shoots at me and I blow up from one shell.

Edited by SeraphicRadiance

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

I've been playing for a while and can count 3 times that I've been detonated.  I like the feature for the most part, yeah I hate it when it happens to me but hey in reality it could happen with that lucky shot.

In reality CVs could destroy anything with ease. But in this game they cannot, because it makes for a better game. My point here is that realism is not the most important aspect.

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

I got detonated yesterday while flying the flag that reduces detonation by 100%.

Sounds legit.

Apparently it doesn't mean what we would think it would mean. Something about reducing it by 50%? 

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Because: WG decided to include some level of realism.

I like the realism to be honest, even if it comes at my expense.

If they wanted the detonation mechanic for realism, they wouldn't have added a flag that makes you detonation-proof. 
  • Cool 1

Members
2,246 posts
2,562 battles

Apparently it doesn't mean what we would think it would mean. Something about reducing it by 50%? 

I have no idea. Here's what the WoWS site says:

Juliet Charlie (Detonation)

"Juliet Charlie" has you 100% covered when it comes to magazine detonations. If only insurance companies were so effective...

Apparently, Wargaming doesn't quite understand what 100% is.

Members
2,054 posts
2,359 battles

In reality CVs could destroy anything with ease. But in this game they cannot, because it makes for a better game. My point here is that realism is not the most important aspect.

CVs are dangerous because of the pilots and planes they bring. That's displayed when a CV player is very good and dominates. 

Edited by Camping4XP

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

CVs are dangerous because of the pilots and planes they bring. That's displayed when a CV player is very good and dominates. 

They are still not anywhere close to how powerful they were in real-life, no matter how good the player is. Also, i could argue that the same player would be just as powerful in a BB, therefore making it pointless to say that CVs are powerful in the hands of a good player.

Members
528 posts
5,835 battles

I'm touching this topic because i've played some others competitive-based ( CSGO, Doto2 ) at a high level and when I try to see wows with a competitive look I find 2 majors problems 1 - CVs ( but not gonna touch this topic here ) 2 - Detonation and that bothers me.

Gomez, the reason why you get detonated might be because the old torpedo upgrade 1 increased the chance of get a detonation ( dont remember how much it was but lets suppose that increased by 20% ), when you do the math if that upgrade increased the chance of detonation by 20% and the flag decreases by 100% in the end it decreases by 80% dont know if it is the case but it is my assumpiton.

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,106 battles

I'm not salty because I get detonated or anything like that.

But seriously, it does not contribute with anything good to the game, anybody likes that "feature" and it is really frustrating for every player especially when you are full hp at the star of the match and get detonated 2min. into the game.

Oh my god, fix the title of the Thread. Why is detonation still a thing. FOR FRAK'S SAKE, I got a C- in English from 1-12 and even I know that.   And why do people seem to think when struck somewhere where ammo is stored in a confined space it shouldn't blow the ship to itty bitty pieces?
  • Cool 1

Members
2,054 posts
2,359 battles

They are still not anywhere close to how powerful they were in real-life, no matter how good the player is. Also, i could argue that the same player would be just as powerful in a BB, therefore making it pointless to say that CVs are powerful in the hands of a good player.

How is that pointless? The point is that players can make CVs shine regardless if they excel in other ships. The Americans excelled in CV warfare (good player in this metaphor). They fought an IJN that lacked good pilots (bad player) and battles like the Battle of the Philippine Sea bappened. 

[APOC]
Members
1,980 posts
7,189 battles

Mine is .89 % only .

Yours is actually more like .99 ~ 1%

Equation: 27/2,712 = 0.0096 (100) = .996%

27 = Detonation medals, 2,712 is games played, 100 is for finding the percentage.

Mine is .71 over nearly 2,400 games. So 1 out of 100 games is acceptable. Especially when you see a Yamato go pop.

As for the Juliet Charlie flag, they don't calculate 100% as static. Other flags increase your chance of detonation or detonating an enemy. Therefore there is never a 100% chance you will never be detonated.

• Cool 2

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Oh my god, fix the title of the Thread. Why is detonation still a thing. FOR FRAK'S SAKE, I got a C- in English from 1-12 and even I know that.   And why do people seem to think when struck somewhere where ammo is stored in a confined space it shouldn't blow the ship to itty bitty pieces?

First of all, even those of us with perfect grammar verbally make mistakes when we are typing, so there's no reason to be rude about it. Second of all, yes in real life you were blown up if you were hit in the megazine. However, in the game you are not blown up every time you get hit in the megazine, your fate depends on pure chance everytime you are hit in the area. I don't have a problem with being blown up like that, as long as it can be controlled 100% with skill. But detonations are more like 100% pure luck, which is why it's a bad mechanic. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
2,632 posts
6,436 battles

I got detonated yesterday while flying the flag that reduces detonation by 100%.

Sounds legit.

You can still be 1 shot deleted without detonations.  Did you get 10 detonation flags from this or was it just a really good shot from someone with multiple citadels in one salvo?

If you got no flags, then it wasn't a detonation.

If you got flags AND were flying the det flags..  send the replay into CS.

M

Beta Testers
973 posts
2,500 battles

Detonation isn't a problem for me. Last time I was detonated was in hmm, back in the stone age. But I agree,i agree. It can be annoying at times. 

Members
2,246 posts
2,562 battles

And why do people seem to think when struck somewhere where ammo is stored in a confined space it shouldn't blow the ship to itty bitty pieces?

Probably because they were flying a flag in a game that promised "100% protection" from it happening. Just sayin'.

Gomez, the reason why you get detonated might be because the old torpedo upgrade 1 increased the chance of get a detonation ( dont remember how much it was but lets suppose that increased by 20% ), when you do the math if that upgrade increased the chance of detonation by 20% and the flag decreases by 100% in the end it decreases by 80% dont know if it is the case but it is my assumpiton.

You're more than likely correct on that, but if that's the case then we should be able to see our chance of detonation somewhere in our ship stats in the port.

Other than that, not running any sort of torpedo upgrade on a premium ship, I have no idea why it would happen.( I was detonated while piloting the Murmansk while flying that flag.)

Members
528 posts
5,835 battles

Sorry for not live/born in a english speak country and have to learn a new completely diferent language than mine all by myself.

But it's ok, I learn a new thing today, thanks.

• Cool 3

Sign in to follow this