Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Aduial

Question:

6 comments in this topic

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

recently, the disk defrag in my windows 10 has stopped working for some reason. If i click optimize it will just stay at "0% analyzed" indefinitely. So here's my question: is there any way to fix that, and if i can't, what's a good third-party program for defragmenting hard drives?

[A-D-F]
Members
7,877 posts
43,446 battles

I like and use Piriform's Defraggler.

Members
159 posts

btw you know too much used of defrag will worn out your disk faster, run a check disk should fix it i seen that issue before but, windows 10 file management ignore everyhing but windows file so you might not need to defrag

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

btw you know too much used of defrag will worn out your disk faster, run a check disk should fix it i seen that issue before but, windows 10 file management ignore everyhing but windows file so you might not need to defrag

I know too much defragging is not good, but i have not defragged for at least like a few months now thanks to the problem i stated. According to the windows defragmenter, my disk is 35% fragmented, which is pretty high. 

"run a check disk should fix it"    Sorry, but could you explain that? Because i don't know what you mean...

[APOC]
Members
1,980 posts
7,171 battles

In this day and age you don't have to use a lot of 3rd party software to keep your OS afloat, especially defragging because it can mutilate directories. The main reason to do so is to not reformat every 6 months which is pretty standard in the tech world. Good programs to have for free:

AusLogics Disc Defrag (Defragging program that can do multiple drives/raid at the same time)

Piriform CCleaner (registry cleaning program that deletes everything from invalid firewall exceptions to old cache files from mods. Use with care, as the registry is the brain of the PC)

MalwareBytes (Free anti malware program that is relatively cheap if bought as an active suite for viruses though not at all required. Just run it once a week if you go to "eh" sites)

OLD Spybot Search and Destroy (I cannot recall the version to download, I can PM later if interested. Creates a list of cookies that block bad domains so they literally can't even attack your PC on three browsers. Amazing program.)

I have used these as free alternatives for years to keep your computer up to speed. There is another program called Speccy from PiriForm that shows the specs and temperatures of your PC at a real time level. This is nice when playing a game that puts the computer under load via graphics or RAM. You can see what your CPU temp is reading at and GPU/HDD/Memory etc.

I've been doing IT work a long time and these programs will prolong reformatting, especially if you don't have a back up drive. But I always suggest a reformat every 6 months to get the most out of your PC. Also, if you can get "virgin" copies of your OS (this means reformatting off a disc and not a partition with bloatware preinstalled) then do that and use the key on the case of your store bought PC. If you built your own this isn't an issue.

Edited by GG_Bootcamp

Sign in to follow this