Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
pikohan

Couple of Division MM Qs

17 comments in this topic

[CHIGR]
[CHIGR]
Members
3,641 posts
18,843 battles

This has been on my mind for a while; I couldn't find the answer via searching. 

As far as I can tell, this is the latest published matchmaking chart: http://worldofwarships-eu.gcdn.co/dcont/fb/image/03e4184e-5e12-11e5-85e2-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

In the lower tiers, different classes of ships may have different MM ranges; for example a T5 cruiser can MM from T3 to T7 whereas a T5 carrier can only MM from T4 to T6. This applies to some of the premiums as well.

1) So what is considered "proper" divisioning for these ships? If I am in a Myogi is it a fail division if I division with a St Louis, or is it "correct" because we should both only see ships up to T5? In fact, will we only see ships of up to T5?

2) What about this special case for carriers: carriers are only supposed to MM with another carrier of the same tier, but if I am in my Zuiho divisioning with an Omaha can I get into a T7 game? Only if someone else has a similar fail division? I would need to see another T5 carrier, but T5 carriers outside of divisions should only MM up to T6...

Would love to get sources if people have answers, but wishful thinking right?

Edited by pikohan

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

Always division with same tier only. That's the only right answer. I'm not completely sure how MM deals with divisions, but i see fail divisions with all kinds of classes and at all tiers, suggesting that almost any combination of ships at different tiers can create a fail-division. Some people think that they're doing their division-buddy a favor by accompanying him into a battle with a different tier ship, but usually all it does is get their friend killed by ships that are 3-4 tiers higher than them, or make their team lose. 

• Cool 1

[SVER]
Beta Testers
3,810 posts
10,039 battles

I didn't know some of these only went up once, will have to keep that in mind. 

Members
373 posts

I gave up on playing divisions with my friends. It's impossible to get a good match. Only with same tier ships. 

But I dont have every tier to play with him, so it's annoying.

Today I was on a South Carolina trying to open fire against Fusos and etc. Just because my friend was in a tier 4. This MM NEED to be fixed. I dont care if i wait 5, 10 minutes. But i prefer to play a good match than a quick one.

[CHIGR]
[CHIGR]
Members
3,641 posts
18,843 battles

Guys, appreciate the answers, but I think I need to rephrase/emphasize the question:

According to the MM chart, a T4 Myogi should only MM up to T5. A T4 Clemson or Kuma will MM up to T6. When I division a Clemson or a Kuma with a Myogi, the Myogi can get into a T6 fight, a T6 fight that it would not see on its own. Is that still a proper division?

On the flip side, a T3 St Louis can also only MM up to T5. When I division a Myogi with a St Louis why would or wouldn't we see battles above T5? How does this work? If T5 is indeed the cap, why isn't this a proper division?

And yes, I understand that T3 South Carolina divisioning with a T4 Pheonix is a fail division (and doubly so) because the T3 South Carolina is only supposed to MM up to T4 whereas the T4 Pheonix can MM up to T6.

Edited by pikohan

[STW]
Members
69 posts
10,807 battles

I commonly will play 1 tier lower carrier with friends to technically downtier them. For example I play langley when they queue up with a texas or ARP Kongo etc. This forces the MM to find ME a tier 4 carrier to play against and effectively locking us into a tier 5 or 6 game. Although, I have had the displeasure of getting in against a similarly divisioned langley... in a tier 7 match vs saipan. Not fun. Other than that I recommend same tier division until you get to tier 8 9 10, then you can mix and match those tiers however you want, because yeah, that's the spread usually at that high of tier. You rarely see a game with only 9s and/or only 10s. 

[CHIGR]
[CHIGR]
Members
3,641 posts
18,843 battles

I commonly will play 1 tier lower carrier with friends to technically downtier them. For example I play langley when they queue up with a texas or ARP Kongo etc. This forces the MM to find ME a tier 4 carrier to play against and effectively locking us into a tier 5 or 6 game. Although, I have had the displeasure of getting in against a similarly divisioned langley... in a tier 7 match vs saipan. Not fun. Other than that I recommend same tier division until you get to tier 8 9 10, then you can mix and match those tiers however you want, because yeah, that's the spread usually at that high of tier. You rarely see a game with only 9s and/or only 10s. 

Thank you for your answer Fuggaak; this what I am getting at with my second question.

When I division a T4 Langley (MM up to T5) with a T5 Texas (MM up to T7) does it increase the odds the Texas gets a T5 match (unless a matching fail division is found?). That doesn't make sense to me and seems like it could be unfair - what if I division said Langley with a T6 Cleveland or a T7 Nagato?

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Rule of thumb: same tier only. There are known exploits / workarounds, but I'd rather not go into them to avoid inadvertently promoting.

As far as I know, the MM evaluates all ships in a division as if they were of the tier that is the highest within that division. That is to say, if you division Yamato + Erie, the matchaker will try to put a Yamato + Des Moines on the other side. Crude example, but hopefully you get the idea.

[STW]
Members
69 posts
10,807 battles

I have not tried langley with cleveland or nagato. I think it would break MM

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,731 posts
26,569 battles

My rule of thumb is: only division with ships that have the same top MM.

So a St Louis with a Myogi would be fine, since both see up to tier 5. This way you're not dragging a ship beyond its normal MM spread.

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,106 battles

This has been on my mind for a while; I couldn't find the answer via searching. 

As far as I can tell, this is the latest published matchmaking chart: http://worldofwarships-eu.gcdn.co/dcont/fb/image/03e4184e-5e12-11e5-85e2-ac162d8bc1e4.jpg

In the lower tiers, different classes of ships may have different MM ranges; for example a T5 cruiser can MM from T3 to T7 whereas a T5 carrier can only MM from T4 to T6. This applies to some of the premiums as well.

1) So what is considered "proper" divisioning for these ships? If I am in a Myogi is it a fail division if I division with a St Louis, or is it "correct" because we should both only see ships up to T5? In fact, will we only see ships of up to T5?

2) What about this special case for carriers: carriers are only supposed to MM with another carrier of the same tier, but if I am in my Zuiho divisioning with an Omaha can I get into a T7 game? Only if someone else has a similar fail division? I would need to see another T5 carrier, but T5 carriers outside of divisions should only MM up to T6...

Would love to get sources if people have answers, but wishful thinking right?

Nope. If you division with a tier 5 with a tier 3, you get the tier 5 MM.  This is how it has always been, this is how it shall always be.

Don't want to see up to tier 7 in a tier 3. STOP DIVISIONING WITH A TIER 5 GENIUS.

Members
870 posts
9,489 battles

within 1 tier is acceptable no matter the class.   :honoring:

Acceptable to you perhaps, but I and MANY other players, do not care to see a tier 7, like an Atlanta, dragged into a match with Tier 10's, because he was in a division with a Tier 8. Same tier or not at all. The only vaguely acceptable not same tier pairings I could see, is a Tier 8, 9, 10 with each other.  The tier 8 will basically always be seeing what the higher tiers get, but that's a normal possibility for it. There are exceptions, but, those have more to do with the players using them, than the ships themselves usually. A well played Gremyashchy can compete against Tier 10's. I have seen one burn a Yamato to the waterline and cackle with glee as he did it, but that doesn't mean it SHOULD be done.  It just seems like it would be a lot easier to just limit the divisions to not being able to launch unless everyone was in the same tier ship, Similar to how it won't let you launch a Ranked battle in a ship of the wrong tier.

I can also agree with what Lert said, there are ships with special MM. that you can get away with. I think all Tier 4 BB's are and probably will be like the example you gave with the Myogi.  My Ishizuchi is the same way. I actually have to take care NOT to division it with friends using their Tier 4 cruisers and DD's for the same reason. Something I did not realize until just recently, that it does not normally see Tier 6's lol.

Edited by Valas1

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles

Thank you for your answer Fuggaak; this what I am getting at with my second question.

When I division a T4 Langley (MM up to T5) with a T5 Texas (MM up to T7) does it increase the odds the Texas gets a T5 match (unless a matching fail division is found?). That doesn't make sense to me and seems like it could be unfair - what if I division said Langley with a T6 Cleveland or a T7 Nagato?

Basically, the division is tiered as the highest tier ship. In your example of Myogi with St. Louis, that's fine. The only negative is that the St.Louis no longer has a chance to see Tier 2s, because of the Myogi.

When a CV is involved, not sure how it works. Either it's going to unfair as you say, or you can end up in a Tier 7 match, with some poor b*****d getting dragged in in his Langley or Hosho to mirror your Langley.

Members
870 posts
9,489 battles

Basically, the division is tiered as the highest tier ship. In your example of Myogi with St. Louis, that's fine. The only negative is that the St.Louis no longer has a chance to see Tier 2s, because of the Myogi.

When a CV is involved, not sure how it works. Either it's going to unfair as you say, or you can end up in a Tier 7 match, with some poor b*****d getting dragged in in his Langley or Hosho to mirror your Langley.

It would only drag some poor guy into the match with the Tier 7's, if he was basically doing the same thing. So that's a risk they have to take. It won't grab some poor random solo Tier 4 CV and toss into the match. So they can blame that on their Tier 5 buddy :trollface: and the division on the other side who was doing the same thing.
Edited by Valas1

[HYD]
Members
7,105 posts
5,289 battles

within 1 tier is acceptable no matter the class.   :honoring:

I have to disagree. With a +- 1 tier difference, it means that the enemy could have a ship that's 3 tiers higher than you. Even a 2 tier difference is sginificant, but with an enemy that's 3 tiers higher than you you have almost no chance. 

Sign in to follow this