You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Wyngs_2015

A question about DD smoke strategy in Ranked

17 comments in this topic

[CAG-1]
Members
1,091 posts
3,952 battles

I am not always able to smoke up for the BB's on my team in Ranked, but I do try to when I can, then get ahead of it and spot. Many times I cant. Either its on cool down , Im not in the right position, or Im using it to survive. My question is, when I am able to, how is it best deployed? In a line between my heavies and the reds, or right up next to them? It hard for me to tell if it has been effective, or worse, if Ive blinded them accidentally. As i climb the ranks, I assume that this will become more and more important, and I want to do everything that I can to help my team win. Or am I wrong about this and it isnt that important?

Thx

• Cool 1

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles

Right on top of them, with the screen starting at their bow as you move in front being absolutely perfect, assuming of course they're moving forward at the time. A BB moving at full speed can outrun a cross-dropped screen even with the breaks applied. It really is important, but if a BB won't cooperate, don't waste your effort. It's worth pointing out that vaping out a cruiser close in to whatever the current point of contention may be is extraordinarily powerful, but there are very few good cruiser drivers playing cruisers in Ranked, so it's best to ask if they're game before trying it.

Edited by Killjoy1941
  • Cool 1

[CAG-1]
Members
1,091 posts
3,952 battles

Im not quite sure I understand. Starting at their bow, am I moving parallel to their course or perpendicular across their bow?

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles

Im not quite sure I understand. Starting at their bow, am I moving parallel to their course or perpendicular across their bow?

I take it you hit "post" before my edit? You want a parallel course if you can help it.

[EFEME]
Beta Testers
288 posts
11,855 battles

A parallel smoke drop is best - but if you have the time in the urgency of the moment to communicate that you are smoking their position - that is the best option. Most of the players I drop smoke to hide end up wasting the gift I give them even IF I clearly show that I don't sit in the smoke myself and maintain spots on things for them to shoot at. To me, a protective smoke-screen is a 50/50 (at best) proposition of being effective. 
  • Cool 1

[STW]
Members
69 posts
10,807 battles

Also if the target BB or cruiser doesn't know the strategy, instruct them to slow to 1/4 or stop as you start your smoke, and then speed up again after about 20 seconds as the smoke will dissipate in 30-40 depending on the nation of the DD.

• Cool 1

[CAG-1]
Members
1,091 posts
3,952 battles

Okay I think I get it now. Will try it the next battle when I can. Thanks all :honoring:

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles

One last point on screening cruisers.

BBs are big and easily spotted so the enemy team generally knows where they are at all times, they just stop shooting at inefficient targets. CAs, on the other hand, are much more stealthy. It's entirely possible to get one completely unseen where it normally has no business being, and that's devastating. I've been able to get my Myoko within 7km of DDs and fire undetected a good dozen times and it's always match-deciding. The most dramatic example was when I screened an Indy onto the edge of the B cap on Desert with my Sims. He gave the team a 10s notice, then popped radar. We collectively annihilated all three enemy DDs in that 25s and that was the win.

As I said, you need a CA driver who knows how to do it and the right conditions, so do make sure it's going to happen and work before you spend the screen.

• Cool 1

[ASHIP]
Members
5,454 posts
12,925 battles

Smoking from ships location and in front of it is usually best. Communicate intention at start of game and just before smoking. 

• Cool 1

[ASHIP]
Members
5,454 posts
12,925 battles

Also if the target BB or cruiser doesn't know the strategy, instruct them to slow to 1/4 or stop as you start your smoke, and then speed up again after about 20 seconds as the smoke will dissipate in 30-40 depending on the nation of the DD.

Smoke dissipates in 30 to 40 seconds? [edited]completely wrong.
  • Cool 1

[CAG-1]
Members
1,091 posts
3,952 battles

One last point on screening cruisers.

BBs are big and easily spotted so the enemy team generally knows where they are at all times, they just stop shooting at inefficient targets. CAs, on the other hand, are much more stealthy. It's entirely possible to get one entirely unseen where it normally has no business being, and that's devastating. I've been able to get my Myoko within 7km of DDs and fire undetected a good dozen times and it's always match-deciding. The most dramatic example was when I screened an Indy onto the edge of the B cap on Desert with my Sims. He gave the team a 10s notice, then popped radar. We collectively annihilated all three enemy DDs in that 25s and that was the win.

As I said, you need a CA driver who knows how to do it and the right conditions, so do make sure it's going to happen and work before you spend the screen.

I hadnt thought of cruisers but that certainly makes sense. But another question. We all know smoke clouds are torp magnets. I smoke fire, but I know how to do it and minimize that to some degree. A heavy isnt always going to be able to get out of the way though. Is there a counter to that?
  • Cool 1

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles

I hadnt thought of cruisers but that certainly makes sense. But another question. We all know smoke clouds are torp magnets. I smoke fire, but I know how to do it and minimize that to some degree. A heavy isnt always going to be able to get out of the way though. Is there a counter to that?

You want to sneak them in there so they finish positioning a bit before the self protection screens expire; that way the torps are already expended and they're in position to fire just as all the cockroaches start to scatter. Of course, that also means you need to be the DD riding shotgun to contest the cap so you can circle back to your CA and lead them in with your screen. It also works best with USN DDs because they deploy a much longer screen.

• Cool 1

[-K--]
Members
3,075 posts
6,658 battles

2min for USN and just under 1:30 for everyone else. USN screens also last 7s longer on deployment at tier 7. That means you generally have almost a full min for them to be hiding before they need to kick in the engines, 1 1/2min if you're driving USN. Of course you can tell them to leave sooner if you don't trust their skill.
  • Cool 1

[CAG-1]
Members
1,091 posts
3,952 battles

OKay, I will practice that in Random a few times before going back to Ranked :playing:

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

The BB is as responsible as the DD.

you can lay the greatest smoke screen on earth and continue to push through and spot for the BB. If the Battleship has no idea how to use the screen than....

All you did was waste a smoke.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
11,714 posts
24,171 battles

Don't waste your smoke on a BB.

It's not worth the aggravation when they deliberately steer out of it.