Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Reymu

Ok, technical issues

22 comments in this topic

[NG-NL]
Members
7,140 posts
12,577 battles

I run Windows 8.1 w/ Avast AV. Like two weeks ago, I can easily have Firefox, Opera, and few other programs running in the background while playing WOWS. Lately, it seems that once every 3-5 periods, Avast will kick disk space usage to 100% for no reason (not reflected on Windows Task Manager until I close Firefox) and only let it drop down after closing and restarting Firefox. Sometimes it'll be one of the base Windows programs (Systems something), but it would calm down after a bit.

Looks it's beginning to get worse. Just got forced to afk my APRK Myoko in a battle because WOWS crashed (4th time this week) and for reasons unknown the disk space usage stayed at 100%. Thought a restart would fix it, but no dice.

I'm going to uninstall and reinstall Firefox and Avast, see if that does anything. If not, how to exempt WOWS from Avast's scans? I'm also potentially in the market for an SSD to speed up my computer (casual gaming, about three years old, GTX 650, 3.0Ghz i5, 8GB memory, kept in cool place at all times, defrag weekly w/ Smart Defrag 5), and would appreciate advice what to go for, since on a budget and unsure how much a good bang for buck.

Rather not replace my gaming computer. Cost me about $950 after rebate and coupons.

Rude comments and :popcorn:-trolls won't be helpful.

Thanks for any help!

[-KIA-]
Senior Volunteer Moderator, Beta Testers, Supertester, Privateers, Senior Volunteer Moderator
6,550 posts
8,491 battles

I run Windows 8.1 w/ Avast AV. Like two weeks ago, I can easily have Firefox, Opera, and few other programs running in the background while playing WOWS. Lately, it seems that once every 3-5 periods, Avast will kick disk space usage to 100% for no reason (not reflected on Windows Task Manager until I close Firefox) and only let it drop down after closing and restarting Firefox. Sometimes it'll be one of the base Windows programs (Systems something), but it would calm down after a bit.

Looks it's beginning to get worse. Just got forced to afk my APRK Myoko in a battle because WOWS crashed (4th time this week) and for reasons unknown the disk space usage stayed at 100%. Thought a restart would fix it, but no dice.

I'm going to uninstall and reinstall Firefox and Avast, see if that does anything. If not, how to exempt WOWS from Avast's scans? I'm also potentially in the market for an SSD to speed up my computer (casual gaming, about three years old, GTX 650, 3.0Ghz i5, 8GB memory, kept in cool place at all times, defrag weekly w/ Smart Defrag 5), and would appreciate advice what to go for, since on a budget and unsure how much a good bang for buck.

Rather not replace my gaming computer. Cost me about $950 after rebate and coupons.

Rude comments and :popcorn:-trolls won't be helpful.

Thanks for any help!

Nonononono!

Never use 3rd party 'maintenance' programs!

The Windows defrag tool works much better because it knows your computer, and is also built in.

Note: If you have upgraded your drivers with a 3rd party program there is also possibility that your system is unstable because of that.

What you should do: If you must keep Windows and WoWs on your single HDD then do a complete reinstall. Avast and Firefox are popular so it is likely system errors make them, in turn have errors of their own.

What you should really do: Get and SSD (250gb) and keep your previous HDD and do a complete reinstall, set your system to store files on the HDD and install programs you want running fast on the SSD.

Note: Never and Darth means EVER! use 3rd party programs to 'tune' your computer - they usually do more harm than good and can actually damage your parts.

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

I know some people will vehemently disagree, but unless you browse lewd content all day or have an eye patch, a peg leg and a parrot, you don't really need a third party antivirus solution. The built-in Windows Defender is adequate for home use and non-invasive except in rare circumstances. I think highly of Avast (as a former user thereof) but I also believe that the age of third party antiviruses is largely over.

[NG-NL]
Members
7,140 posts
12,577 battles

So to the best of your knowledge, the built-ins on their own are adequate for the entire ride? First I've heard of their 3rd party counterparts being lethal in comparison, and I downloaded them after reading many reviews (rely on MajorGeeks for no-malware downloads, CNET screws me over w/ all manner of crapware). If I remember correctly Avast is supposed to be better than Windows Defender. That's changed?

For an SSD, any particular brands or models you'd recommend starting with? I'm expecting to rely on Micro Center for that in case I need in-person help, their tech support staff are top notch.

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

View PostReymu, on 22 June 2016 - 08:51 PM, said:

If I remember correctly Avast is supposed to be better than Windows Defender. That's changed?

With the standard disclaimer that my personal views and opinions don't represent those of my employer, I'd say yes. Defender is not perfect but certainly adequate and puts less of a strain on performance, which is all I need to know for personal home use, especially when gaming. Of course, your mileage may vary and don't get me wrong, Avast is one of the best out there and has been for a long time since NOD32 lost its throne.

Alpha Tester
1,914 posts
8,490 battles

Windows Defender works, but you're probably better off using the other security suite made by Microsoft, namely Microsoft Security Essentials. There's always the option of switching anti virus providers if you're a free user of Avast. Some antivirus software includes a file exclusion option so it never scans files you added to it when running, I'm not sure if Avast had this feature.

Nowadays for the average user you're better off protecting yourself with a firewall, either Windows firewall or a 3rd party firewall with a good reputation (like Zonealarm for example, free too) to prevent port scans & unfettered access to your machine connected to the net. Something is always being blocked in my logs & usually the IP addresses come from Nigeria or any of the usual suspects.

Another common vector of attack is compromised ad networks or just shady ads, particularly malicious javascript. Adblock actually is a legitimate security tool now since it prevents these attacks from showing up in the first place. For example you've probably seen that "Your download is ready" ad, it prevents those from happening along with any potential malicious code from ad networks.

Say something gets through even then, there's a new kind of security tool I use by Malwarebytes called "anti-exploit". It's like a reverse exploit kit that prevents 0 days without the need of signatures. It can detect & prevent flash based exploits & ones used by exploit kits like Angler.

An antivirus is the last line of defense once they have penetrated all other means of protection since the malware is already on your machine. I wouldn't say don't go without one but if you truly are concerned if there's active infections my personal recommendation would be getting a scanner like Malwarebytes free & doing a full system scan. Pretty much almost every computer I've ran it on there's at least 1 Trojan detection signature.

Sometimes your antivirus may get too aggressive in its scans & bottleneck the system. At that point I would personally just switch anti viruses, there's plenty out in the market. Just be careful of what you select as not all protection is equal.

Well this turned into a giant security post, without knowing more details on your situation my only suggestion at this point is to switch antiviruses that doesn't completely nuke your HDD.

Edit: If you ever get an SSD, NEVER defrag it ever. It will only shorten its lifespan with no performance improvements since the way data is read is fundamentally different.

Edited by GoldPile

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Windows Defender works, but you're probably better off using the other security suite made by Microsoft, namely Microsoft Security Essentials. There's always the option of switching anti virus providers if you're a free user of Avast. Some antivirus software includes a file exclusion option so it never scans files you added to it when running, I'm not sure if Avast had this feature.

Microsoft Security Essentials is superseded by Windows Defender starting Windows 8.0.

Avast does in fact support adding exceptions. I would recommend adding the WoWs directory to the list of exceptions of whatever security software you're using.

[NG-NL]
Members
7,140 posts
12,577 battles

Mmk, so it looks Smart Defrag is fired. Avast has one last chance, I added entire WOWS folder to its exclusions. That fails, I'll switch to Defender.

I know enough about internet security (some learned hard way) to avoid clicking links from email addresses I've never seen before, scams, and whatnot, so should be fine there. I have AdBlock on Firefox as well as Super Antispyware and Malwarebytes.

Microsoft carries Defender for free download and install on their website still?

I'll see what this does, since not keen on spending more money to keep my computer running well.

Beta Testers
1,313 posts
12,709 battles

I run Avast with WoWs and default settings. No problems.

If wows is crashing then uninstall it and any remnants. Reinstall. How much space is left on your current drive?

Supertest Coordinator
7,223 posts
14,440 battles

Avira user here. No problems. I dropped Avast with my new computer because it was hitting serious slowdowns on my Old rig

Alpha Tester
11,714 posts
24,171 battles

Mmk, so it looks Smart Defrag is fired. Avast has one last chance, I added entire WOWS folder to its exclusions. That fails, I'll switch to Defender.

I know enough about internet security (some learned hard way) to avoid clicking links from email addresses I've never seen before, scams, and whatnot, so should be fine there. I have AdBlock on Firefox as well as Super Antispyware and Malwarebytes.

Microsoft carries Defender for free download and install on their website still?

I'll see what this does, since not keen on spending more money to keep my computer running well.

​You have to add the game to Malwarebytes exclusion policy.  Guaranteed that will slow down the works.

MSE/defender is fine, been using it for close to a decade.  Nice not having issues because of that.  Avast is known to be problematic.

Cheap SSD, and you'll add years to your rig.  Very easy and simple to set up and use.

Smart defrag is great for an HD much better than windows default defragger.  Don't stop using that.

The optimization programs are highly beneficial if your a hoarder on your drive.

Don't know when you run out of time but I highly suggest you upgrade in place to 10 then reformat and clean install 10 after you get the free upgrade in place done.

Multiple anti virus anti malware running will cause issues.

[NOT]
Members
1,044 posts
6,765 battles

MSE is fine. for slow computer or laptop, i wont recommend any AV other than MSE if you're doing fine with adblock turnt on.

Personally, I use UltimateDefrag as it's pretty fast and sorting stuffs just fine, I evenly disable builtin defragmenter as I dont need to defrag my HDD that frequently. Welp, I dont have a good impression with Avast as my Free Avira is doing fine for 5 years.

[NG-NL]
Members
7,140 posts
12,577 battles

I run Avast with WoWs and default settings. No problems.

If wows is crashing then uninstall it and any remnants. Reinstall. How much space is left on your current drive?

431 GB right now.

​You have to add the game to Malwarebytes exclusion policy.  Guaranteed that will slow down the works. Done.

MSE/defender is fine, been using it for close to a decade.  Nice not having issues because of that.  Avast is known to be problematic.

Cheap SSD, and you'll add years to your rig.  Very easy and simple to set up and use. Sounds like a worthy investment. Darthdoge recommended a Kingston/Sony SSD and to avoid no-name SSD cause reliability issues.

Smart defrag is great for an HD much better than windows default defragger.  Don't stop using that.

The optimization programs are highly beneficial if your a hoarder on your drive. Hmm I never researched whether the built-in and 3rd party maintenance have differences in performance. I don't know about hoarder, usually it's just pictures.

Don't know when you run out of time but I highly suggest you upgrade in place to 10 then reformat and clean install 10 after you get the free upgrade in place done.

Multiple anti virus anti malware running will cause issues. Meh, got no reason to upgrade to Windows 10 now.

Alpha Tester
11,714 posts
24,171 battles

think the time frame for free is now measured in hours

​Ouch so glad that's done with, heh I'm not that far from my annual reinstall of it. 

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

It's preinstalled with Windows 8 or later. As soon as you uninstall Avast it should automatically take over the duties.

Beta Testers
169 posts
1,623 battles

Samsung also makes good SSDs.

Members
6,889 posts
14,881 battles

I feel I need to clear up some things ----  There is ZERO reasons to not to use 3rd party defrag and AV - none, zero, nada.  The MS defrag knows your PC the same way a 3rd party does - it is all hard drive structure and how the files are saved.  Once the defrag program scans the hard drive - it knows everything the MS defrag program does. There are VERY good 3rd party defraggers - in fact they came about because they had better algorithms than MS for defragging.  They did it better and faster.  MS might have caught up but there is ZERO reasons not to go with 3rd party (free ones).

Same thing with AV - I currently use Avira and I have used Avast, AVG among others.  Other than a nag screen for the free ones to get you to buy - I find them far better than Defender.  None should have to scan all of the time.  Just set it to scan early in the morning or later at night when you are not playing.

Members
16,315 posts
12,285 battles

I know some people will vehemently disagree, but unless you browse lewd content all day or have an eye patch, a peg leg and a parrot, you don't really need a third party antivirus solution. The built-in Windows Defender is adequate for home use and non-invasive except in rare circumstances. I think highly of Avast (as a former user thereof) but I also believe that the age of third party antiviruses is largely over.

r6jDjZZ.gif

Beta Testers
1,313 posts
12,709 battles

Defrags are only required if you run your data volumes at something like greater than 75% full. Any less than that and you are just shuffling empty space. Lack of space is the prime reason for file fragmentation. If you have plenty of empty space theres no reason for a dfrag unless youve deleted a significant amount of smaller files, and i mean a lot. 

3rd party defraggers just use windows API calls. Never seen them do a better job than the built in windows one. The big arguement now is if running VMs need defragmentation. Vmware at least is sayin "yes".

Ransomware is the biggest threat to desktops now. Very few AV apps can guard against these threats.

Sign in to follow this