You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SteelClaw

For the crew of the Arizona

28 comments in this topic

Members
1,210 posts

Well it was a debate and sometimes a heated one about bringing the USS Arizona into the game. Well she is here and the debate is over time to pay some respect.  When she was attack on December 7, 1941 1177 men died on the USS Arizona. May she and the crew still aboard her rest in peace.

• Cool 7

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,333 posts
8,606 battles

Having been to the memorial seen the fuel and oil still leaking out its an emotional experience. Respect and honor demand she be added to the game even if she isn't a tier dominator. For that matter, there are several ships of most of the nations represented here that deserve similar treatment for the human sacrifice they represent . The Hood comes to mind.....

Edited by Jim_Byrnes
  • Cool 5

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,191 posts
12,721 battles

:honoring:

Day is done .

Gone the sun .

From the land, from the sea , from the sky .

All is well .

Rest in peace .

God is nigh .

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

Right now, I'm actually looking to my right, where a model I built of her rests on a shelf. She'll be an interesting ship. I assume tier VI?

Regardless, I give an eternal salute to the men who find their resting place on that ship... even the ones who survived that day, as most of them request to be laid to rest there as well, among their comrades.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,228 battles

God rest their soul and bring peace.

in match though...

I just ran into division of 3 arizona     :)   it has higher   survivability and AA defense than  NM.   same gun.     premium ftw  :)

Edited by centarina

[56TH]
[56TH]
Members
310 posts

I've seen some of the debates on this in several different sections of the forum.

As a former sailor my thoughts are this...

If my destroyer had went down taking me and my shipmates with her,I wouldn't mind the knowledge that she/we would be in a video game 70+ years after the fact. Especially if it went down the way the Arizona had. The attack on Pearl Harbor was the biggest cheap shot in naval history.  A large portion of the crew were killed relaxing in their bunks during peace time, no declaration of war had been made.  At least if you are represented in a video game years down the line, the loss of your ship, your life and the lives of your shipmates will not be forgotten by future generations. You will be something they can interact with rather than just a page in a history book or a show on the history channel. In a way, you come back to life, if only pixels on the computer screen.

I welcome the Arizona into the game. Look forward to adding her to my fleet.

• Cool 10

[RBW]
Beta Testers
237 posts
3,243 battles

I've seen some of the debates on this in several different sections of the forum.

If my destroyer had went down taking me and my shipmates with her,I wouldn't mind the knowledge that she/we would be in a video game 70+ years after the fact. Especially if it went down the way the Arizona had. The attack on Pearl Harbor was the biggest cheap shot in naval history.  A large portion of the crew were killed relaxing in their bunks during peace time, no declaration of war had been made.  At least if you are represented in a video game years down the line, the loss of your ship, your life and the lives of your shipmates will not be forgotten by future generations. You will be something they can interact with rather than just a page in a history book or a show on the history channel. In a way, you come back to life, if only pixels on the computer screen.

Well said

Members
32 posts
1,636 battles

The attack on Pearl Harbor was the biggest cheap shot in naval history.  A large portion of the crew were killed relaxing in their bunks during peace time, no declaration of war had been made.

Technically speaking, that's not true. War had been declared before the attack was actually launched, it's just that due to technical problems and the Japanese ambassador decoding the declaration of war himself personally, the announcement didn't arrive at the White House in time. Not that it would have mattered all that much since I (believe) that the declaration wasn't meant to be delivered until just before the attack would commence anyway.

Members
2,632 posts
10,276 battles

Technically speaking, that's not true. War had been declared before the attack was actually launched, it's just that due to technical problems and the Japanese ambassador decoding the declaration of war himself personally, the announcement didn't arrive at the White House in time. Not that it would have mattered all that much since I (believe) that the declaration wasn't meant to be delivered until just before the attack would commence anyway.

Are wars considered declared when one party makes up their mind to declare war or when the other party is officially informed and/or attacked? I lean on the latter, in which case war was not declared before the attack launched.

[QAPLA]
Beta Testers
1,186 posts
4,641 battles

Here here!

She served as my flagship in A&A War at Sea and should serve me here well also.

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,106 battles

I have absolutely zero need to. Twice from the deck of a US Ship I have rendered passing honors to USS Arizona. Once from the Deck of LHA-1 USS Tarawa, again from the deck of USS Pelelieu LHA-5.

Members
1,881 posts
7,191 battles

I have absolutely zero need to. Twice from the deck of a US Ship I have rendered passing honors to USS Arizona. Once from the Deck of LHA-1 USS Tarawa, again from the deck of USS Pelelieu LHA-5.

I have to disagree with you. As a retired Marine of 30 years service i feel you never stop showing respect for the fallen. I Go to the wall every year i can and show respect to those who fell in Vietnam. Just because you showed respect yesterday does not mean you do not have to show it today. 
  • Cool 3

[DAMP]
In AlfaTesters, In AlfaTesters
2,688 posts
14,166 battles

I as well totally agree. Not to mention there are several other ships in this game that have had major loss of life as well. All should be honored and am glad they are here for younger generations to take an interest and learn their history.

Members
2,246 posts
2,562 battles

Pretty much every ship in this game lost men. Thousands of them. Just because the Arizona is American doesn't make the men lost on it any more honorable than those who died on any other ship.

They all deserve the same respect. Every last one of them.

That said, welcome aboard U.S.S. Arizona. It's a pleasure seeing you again.

Members
11,026 posts
30,665 battles

Having been to the memorial seen the fuel and oil still leaking out its an emotional experience. Respect and honor demand she be added to the game even if she isn't a tier dominator. For that matter, there are several ships of most of the nations represented here that deserve similar treatment for the human sacrifice they represent . The Hood comes to mind.....

They need to clean up the rest of the mess.

That's perfectly good fuel going to waste, for one.

Edited by issm