You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Michael_200061

Your thoughts on the worst battleship used in WW2?

184 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
161 posts
1,391 battles

Feel free to leave your thoughts on the worst battleships ever sailed or designed during the second world war period, either due to its design or its combat history.

Bismarck.

Edited by Michael_200061

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,734 posts
26,570 battles

Can we have neg reps back?

• Cool 29

Members
11,964 posts
6,273 battles

In terms of just sheer design flaws, Fuso. Love it in-game, but there were so many issues with them IRL

[GUYS]
Alpha Tester
2,768 posts
4,462 battles

I was going to bring in the neg-rep cannon gif, but forgot it is saved on my desktop, not my laptop.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,734 posts
26,570 battles

On topic though, I would think in pure combat capacity, Schleswig Holstein?

• Cool 1

[SOUP]
Members
9,391 posts

aqmdxbl_700b_by_valhalla_studios-da505iz

Arizona xdd

Honestly, yeah. She was an aging hulk by the time the war started and is only really famous for being famous. Just a big oil-leaking coffin and a rallying cry of angry USN crews. As a ship, she wasn't anything special.

She was in US waters the whole Great War, sent to Turkey to look fancy for a lil while, then transfered to the Pacific. Used to aid California after an earthquake in 1933, featured in a film, transfered from San Diago to Pearl. Bombed.

Although awarded a battle star for her service in WWII, she was never truely used in combat and at most fired disorganized and panicked AAA during the Battle of Pearl Harbour. So... at the risk of pissing off the freedumbs, she was the most useless combat vessel of the USN in the war.

Edited by Chobittsu
  • Cool 6

Members
11,964 posts
6,273 battles

Worked well-enough shelling Gdansk in 1939

[GUYS]
Alpha Tester
2,768 posts
4,462 battles

Worked well-enough shelling Gdansk in 1939

But in a ship to ship battle she dosn't look like she'd hold up long against any of the RN's capital ships.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,298 posts
6,911 battles

Why so salty, my friend? :P

Beta Testers
161 posts
1,391 battles

I would consider that as a BC not a BB XD, even a Alaska can sink it quite easily.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,734 posts
26,570 battles

Why so salty, my friend?

Because that spoiler in the OP is pure trolling and OP knows it. Because it's very likely to start a wehraboo vs ameriboo pissing contest. Because we already have several threads about that particular ship.

I would consider that as a BC not a BB XD, even a Alaska can sink it quite easily.

S-H was a pre-dread battleship, keel laid down in 1905, commissioned in 1908. In WoWS terms, she was comparable to Mikasa. Even Kawachi / South Carolina would've murdered her with ease.

[SOUP]
Members
9,391 posts

Yamato, well tbh, she did look good on a beach/

:hiding:

HMS Hood

Hood and Yamato both saw combat and actually tried to fight. There are far better candidates.

Yamato also sortied several times trying to engage USN warships, however due to American codebreaking and the fact that the WORLDS LARGEST WARSHIP sticks out like a sore thumb... she never had the chance

Edited by Chobittsu

Beta Testers
161 posts
1,391 battles

Because that spoiler in the OP is pure trolling and OP knows it. Because it's very likely to start a wehraboo vs ameriboo pissing contest. Because we already have several threads about that particular ship.

Well, it is a bad ship...weakspots all around its armour. 
Edited by Michael_200061

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,734 posts
26,570 battles

Well, it is a bad ship...weakspots all around its armour. 

Worse than a 1908 pre-dreadnought?

[XODUS]
Alpha Tester
4,697 posts
2,130 battles

Yeah, that one's going to be hard to beat on those terms.

In terms of just sheer design flaws, Fuso. Love it in-game, but there were so many issues with them IRL

Fuso didn't do so great, but Yamashiro was damn near indestructible. You see the design at its best and at its worst, in the same night. I'd say it balances out to neutral, probably

Especially compared to the Nagatos, one of which blew itself up at anchor in a safe harbor and the other of which accomplished nothing of interest. I wouldn't give the Kongos great marks for durability either, but they were definitely Japan's most useful battleships and did enough that it's hard to argue they weren't getting their money's worth, unlike the others.

Beta Testers
161 posts
1,391 battles

Hood and Yamato both saw combat and actually tried to fight. There are far better candidates.

Yamato also sortied several times trying to engage USN warships, however due to American codebreaking and the fact that the WORLDS LARGEST WARSHIP sticks out like a sore thumb... she never had the chance

I agree, Hood actually did quite well as a WW1 era BC. 

[GUYS]
Alpha Tester
2,768 posts
4,462 battles

Worse than a 1908 pre-dreadnought?

Heh, who will the 'wehraboos' side with? The German Pre Dread or the "It was not sunk by the Brits" Bismarck?

[HINON]
Beta Testers
3,931 posts
8,150 battles

I'd have to say the Italian battleships. They never really justified their rebuild costs, were vulnerable to torpedoes, and were just fragile in general.

• Cool 4

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,734 posts
26,570 battles

But damn goodlooking, Nuk.

• Cool 2

[XODUS]
Alpha Tester
4,697 posts
2,130 battles

Hood and Yamato both saw combat and actually tried to fight.

Tried nothing. Fish in a barrel maybe, but Hood still knocked out Dunkerque and Strasbourg as fighting units during Operation Catapult.

Members
2,054 posts
2,359 battles

Yup. Sailors considered deployment on the Fuso sisters to be the worst in the navy

Members
11,964 posts
6,273 battles

But damn goodlooking, Nuk.

But will be completely hideous on their stock hulls whenever they get added in-game, like a number of the battleships already in-game are stock