Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Chrifister

Something happened to Texas AA

10 comments in this topic

Members
330 posts
4,066 battles

So I needed some premium time and decided to pick up the Texas when she first came out. Maybe it was the common stompings I was receiving from CVs or maybe it was because I needed a credit earner. I remember them advertising her impressive AA suite. Played her for a week to earn some credits and the AA didn't disappoint, at first. My 2 most memorable games were the first 2 I had in her.

First game and I'm facing a tier V and tier VI CV, 1 IJN and 1 USN. Head off west with a DD way out front and a Phoenix alongside me. Enemy CVs team up and just happen to come flying my way and both make a beeline for me. Figuring this should be a good test of her AA. The Phoenix bugs out and pulls a 180 while I continue on alone. They attack all at once and it started raining planes. 13 planes shot down and I get hit by 1 bomb. The TBs only managed to drop a single torpedo that I dodged. Impressive. Even the Phoenix remarked "WOW" in chat. Since nobody is on that side of the map I turn east and cut through the middle. The enemy CVs target me again and this time I shoot down 12 planes and he managed to drop 3 torpedoes which I dodged again.

Second game I'm facing a tier VII Ranger. Curious how she'll handle planes 2 tiers higher. I'm low tier and everyone speeds away leaving me plodding along by myself. Enemy CV targets me with everything he's got. I shot down 9 planes and he managed to drop 3 torpedoes. He reloads, groups up and attacks with everything again. This time I shoot down 10 planes and eat 1 torpedo. He didn't bother me the rest of the match and I still had 3/4 of my HP left.

This continued all week and for all intents and purposes, she was immune to air attacks.

Now fast-forward to post 5.5 and 5.6. In my last 2 games, I was sunk both times by a tier VII Ranger, pretty much as soon as I got within range to actually fire at something. One game I shot down 5 planes and the last game I shot down 9. In both games, DBs took the majority of my HP and I was finished in 2 attacks. So much for striking fear into the hearts of CV captains. I'm actually being singled out early in the game because I'm too slow to keep up with everybody else. Feels like my dedicated AA platform needs AA support.

So how did I go from swatting planes out of the sky to being singled out and sunk by planes? I thought most ships gained AA performance in the last patch? Feels like the Texas was nerfed?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,732 posts
26,569 battles

Texas AA got buffed as well, but only the close range DPS, additional 20mm's.

Members
330 posts
4,066 battles

Higher tier planes as well. They take more damage to shoot down.

I realize that but it wasn't a problem pre-patch. The second game in the Texas I shot down 19 Ranger planes. For that whole week I was swatting planes left and right no matter what tier they came from. What I did notice was that higher tier planes did survive long enough to drop some of their payload. Now most of them survive to drop most of their payload.

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,878 battles

Different captains.  Earlier one may have had AFT & BFT.

Stock Texas AA is 50.  with AFT and BFT, you get 63 -- as much as a stock Atlanta.

Also take note that some of us CV operators have learned how to kill the Texas.  Requires special handling.

Edited by AVR_Project

Members
1,138 posts
7,247 battles

Take your AA rating, divide it by target plane survivability = chance per second to shoot down a plane.

Texas has something like a 30% chance to kill an equal tier plane every second if memory serves, but still, it's only 30%. A USN AA cruiser for example, with DF up, can have an upwards of 75% chance to kill a plane every second.

RNG is RNG. Sometimes that 30% will clear multiple squadrons in seconds, sometimes it will do nothing at all.

Edited by reaper_swpz

[SYN]
Members
5,956 posts
13,860 battles

Was your ship's AA shot up from repeated hits of incoming HE?

Continued HE fire can wreck your AA if it happens long enough.

Members
330 posts
4,066 battles

Different captains.  Earlier one may have had AFT & BFT.

Stock Texas AA is 50.  with AFT and BFT, you get 63 -- as much as a stock Atlanta.

Also take note that some of us CV operators have learned how to kill the Texas.  Requires special handling.

I'm using the same 14 point NC captain and he has BFT and AFT so I have a 63 rating. I've come across the smarter CV captains in her. There was one that kept his 2 TB squadrons just outside of my AA range and waited to catch me in a turn. I ended up eating a wall of torpedoes and only shot down 3 planes. Props to him. Lately the Ranger captains are hitting me like I have no AA. No smart maneuvering, just normal attacks completely ignorant of my AA.

Take your AA rating, divide it by target plane survivability = chance per second to shoot down a plane.

Texas has something like a 30% chance to kill an equal tier plane every second if memory serves, but still, it's only 30%. A USN AA cruiser for example, with DF up, can have an upwards of 75% chance to kill a plane every second.

RNG is RNG. Sometimes that 30% will clear multiple squadrons in seconds, sometimes it will do nothing at all.

It's statistically improbable that RNG would be in my favor for the entire first week I played her and not in my favor the last half a dozen times I've sailed her.

Was your ship's AA shot up from repeated hits of incoming HE?

Continued HE fire can wreck your AA if it happens long enough.

No because I'm dying in the first 5 minutes of the match just barely coming within range of enemy BBs. The last game I took a weird 11k damage citadel from the front by a very long range Nagato just as the planes were about to strike. I turned to retreat and the planes took me out with their second attack a few minutes later far behind our front lines. Nobody is close enough to be hitting me with HE that early.

Does nobody else feel like Texas AA is under-performing recently?

[GUYS]
Alpha Tester
2,768 posts
4,462 battles

I realize that but it wasn't a problem pre-patch. The second game in the Texas I shot down 19 Ranger planes. For that whole week I was swatting planes left and right no matter what tier they came from. What I did notice was that higher tier planes did survive long enough to drop some of their payload. Now most of them survive to drop most of their payload.

Entirely possible that first Ranger was stock and the second was upgraded. That, and RNGesus may of just said no to you.

[BOSS]
Beta Testers
2,762 posts
16,845 battles

I put my 16 PT Iowa captain in my Texas, fully AA spec'd, and I find it doesn't swallow planes up like I'd expect.  I'm not really sure why it is. 

I think the Texas is a bit of a dud premium ship to be honest.   The AA doesn't perform like I'd expect and the shell dispersion and slow turrets and turning make it cumbersome for me to play.   It's a collector ship, and one I will play periodically, but the Tirp, Blys, Atago and Grem are my go to money makers, with the Warspite in that mix as well.

Sign in to follow this