You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_SmokeyCanada

Warspite and Colorados dispersion and damage

23 comments in this topic

Members
261 posts
4,250 battles

my experience with warspite and Colorado so far Warspite needs a dispersion and damage buff and Colorado also  I played both ships for a while now and when I play both ships  the dispersion and damage keeps screwing me over every time. I just had a few games in ranked battle and the last battle I shot a full salvo in my Warspite 5 hit no damage like WTH???!! that should've did massive damage and as for Colorado its guns are inaccurate and underpowered for 16" guns and its armor feels like its made out of tin I cant wait till I research the North Carolina and sell Derporado.

Edited by RenamedUser_1015987138

[MUDDX]
Banned
8,144 posts
25,415 battles

You can miss just as easily in a NC as the other two and also get smashed just as easily so Good Luck with that

[CNK]
Members
454 posts
6,836 battles

Colorado is an awesome ship and she's one of the most accurate BBs in the game. You're going to be disappointed with North Carolina if you think Colorado is too fragile.

[MAUS]
Members
13,698 posts

The HMS Warspite has one of the best Battleship sigma dispersion in the game at present, nevermind for her tier.  o_o  The only battleship that bests her is the Yamato.

[-DPF-]
Members
774 posts
11,104 battles

If you are finding Warspite hard to do damage with, and Colorado squishy, you will HATE North Carolina!  It has much weaker armor than Colorado, and much worse dispersion than Warspite.  The US BB line may not be for you in that case.

You might try changing your aim point a bit, or your engagement range.  Warspite and Colorado both want to be mid-range to be most effective.  Around 8-12 KM and heavily angled is usually ideal.  At that range, you can get solid penetration hits on Tier 6 & 7 targets reliably, and you can absorb a great deal of damage as your armor resists penetration from other ships.  If your opponents are also heavily angled, then shoot at their superstructure and turrets.  You still get good damage, and you can knock out their guns.  IMHO, Warspite and Colorado are fun and very competitive ships, capable of dealing massive damage, and of surviving heavy attacks.  Good luck with your brawler BBs!:)

Beta Testers
2,327 posts
3,235 battles

if youre hitting angled targets youll get a lot of bounces...

as mentioned, these two ships are actually pretty good dispersion/accuracy wise, and the NC is way worse than colorado. it is better since the past patch but its guns still scatter even if each turrets shells stay grouped better than before. 

Alpha Tester
11,714 posts
24,171 battles

my experience with warspite and Colorado so far Warspite needs a dispersion and damage buff and Colorado also  I played both ships for a while now and when I play both ships  the dispersion and damage keeps screwing me over every time. I just had a few games in ranked battle and the last battle I shot a full salvo in my Warspite 5 hit no damage like WTH???!! that should've did massive damage and as for Colorado its guns are inaccurate and underpowered for 16" guns and its armor feels like its made out of tin I cant wait till I research the North Carolina and sell Colorado.

​I think you need to reexamine your shooting strategies, if you think those BB's are going to be easier than the 'Spite.

[WOLF2]
Members
252 posts
9,980 battles

I have to agree with everyone else.  The Colorado is definitely a more accurate ship than the New Mexico (and NC) and the Warspite is awesome.  The problem is that these ships punish bad aiming.  You have less shells in flight than the NM and they don't disperse as much so you can't get that help from RNGesus.  Also, if you got 5 hits and no damage, you weren't shooting at the right part of the ship or with the right shells.  You need to understand how different parts of ships react to different shells.  Colorado CAN be penned in the bow so you need to angle well.  Also, Colorado shells do hit very hard as far as I can tell given the number of citadels I've hit on other BBs.

[CDOGZ]
Beta Testers
702 posts
4,530 battles

I'm looking forward to the NC just because the grind on the LOLorado seems like forever and it'd be a nice change of scenery :fishpalm:

[BTH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
202 posts
5,568 battles

Regardless of what the port stats say for accuracy, the Warspite is one of my least favourite ship, and a large part of it is due to its so-called accuracy. As well, very slow with lacklustre range, and no upgrade slot to increase range like the Americans. Which is sad, because she looks great.

Plus, against those 400mm+ guns, she take major damage. Shaved 30K off an enemy Warspite with my Nagato today in three volleys without citadel her.

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

The HMS Warspite has one of the best Battleship sigma dispersion in the game at present, nevermind for her tier.  o_o  The only battleship that bests her is the Yamato.

She also has fewer guns than most respectable BBs in the game. Her dispersion is much greater than it seems for the kind of maximum range that she has. So the allegedly better sigma tends to amortize into mediocrity. I would agree that Warspite is in need of a major accuracy buff to be competitive in her tier.

As for Colorado, it's been a while for me but apparently her accuracy has been improved greatly. I certainly respect her guns now, though her survivability and speed are still garbage.

[MAUS]
Members
13,698 posts

She also has fewer guns than most respectable BBs in the game. Her dispersion is much greater than it seems for the kind of maximum range that she has. So the allegedly better sigma tends to amortize into mediocrity. I would agree that Warspite is in need of a major accuracy buff to be competitive in her tier.

As for Colorado, it's been a while for me but apparently her accuracy has been improved greatly. I certainly respect her guns now, though her survivability and speed are still garbage.

Her dispersion over distance is a little better than comparable USN ships.  Observe:

n2ogfl.png

Members
261 posts
4,250 battles

I have to agree with everyone else.  The Colorado is definitely a more accurate ship than the New Mexico (and NC) and the Warspite is awesome.  The problem is that these ships punish bad aiming.  You have less shells in flight than the NM and they don't disperse as much so you can't get that help from RNGesus.  Also, if you got 5 hits and no damage, you weren't shooting at the right part of the ship or with the right shells.  You need to understand how different parts of ships react to different shells.  Colorado CAN be penned in the bow so you need to angle well.  Also, Colorado shells do hit very hard as far as I can tell given the number of citadels I've hit on other BBs.

Um it was broadside and in the middle at the waterline

Members
261 posts
4,250 battles

nope its a lie its accuracy is still terrible they didn't do anything to it

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,325 posts
10,907 battles

Yes, and Colorado has the same sigma value if I remember correctly - both her and Warspite at 2.0 - Yamato at 2.1 - and NC now also at 2.0.

As far as Colorado, I've nailed an Iowa for 39K in a single salvo, and similarly humiliated Nagatos and Tirpitzs. Had no issue whatsoever with the accuracy and damage with the Warspite either.

I'd suggest taking a good look at how you're using them, the type of shots you're attempting and where you're aiming, and maybe try some co-op battles and experiment with them, see if you can improve your performance. Because frankly, as has already been stated several times, these are two of the best BB's for their tiers in the game.

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

Um it was broadside and in the middle at the waterline

47859492.jpg

The middle at the waterline thing is a general guideline, there are other places to aim and penetrate specific ships.

The mid tier USN BBs in particular as well as the Montana are vulnerable to having their bow over matched by their peers. The Texas bow can be over matched by 14" guns like the Kongo has, the NM and CO can be over matched by 16" guns and the Montana bow is vulnerable to the Yamato 18.1" guns. 

Edited by 1nv4d3rZ1m

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

I remembered Colorado has the best armor layout in the US BB line. Please correct me if I were wrong.

I am not sure you could argue its armor is any better than the NM and then considering it goes up a tier and faces bigger guns...

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

Her dispersion over distance is a little better than comparable USN ships.

Precisely. The dispersion value is nearly indistinguishable from USN on that graph (the worse one of the two), but both USN and IJN have 50% more guns at that tier. You end up hitting far less on target as a result, which is what the practical impact of dispersion is all about. Let's consider the relative advantages at tier VI, in no particular order:

USN/IJN:

- Protection against AP (especially USN)

- Protection against HE

- Speed (IJN)

- Range (IJN)

- Turret traverse

- Average hits per salvo (as explained above)

- Damage control

Warspite:

- Heal

- Turning radius

- Gun caliber

Warspite just isn't all that powerful in comparison to her tier counterparts. I think she needs a buff before she can displace NM in Team Battles or Fuso in Random.

[MAUS]
Members
13,698 posts

The difference in sigma values for their dispersion model means that the Warspite's volleys have tighter groupings.  A much smaller proportion of Warspite's shells will fly to the extremes of her dispersion value compared to either the Fuso or New Mexico.  In short, the Warspite's guns will feel more like rifles compared to the shot-gun blasts of the Fuso and New Mexico.  There's no argument, when the New Mexico and Fuso's guns behave, their firepower advantage puts the Warspite to shame (unless the Warspite engages them bow on at 10km or less -- then their 356mm rifles struggle to do anything but overpen and deliver HE hits while the Warspite can still punish them both with AP).

Members
4,302 posts

Warpshites turrets have widely varying dispersion ratios, but fairly predictable. Remember that you are mostly playing against fusos and kongos in ranked battles, random battles will see warspite up against the dreaded Colorados and New Mexicos who have a magical shell with warspites name on it for insta citadel every friggin time. (I honestly believe warspite only exists as fodder for American BBs...) Because ranked battles have fewer opponents than randoms, it is easier to get close and brawl  in the magical -10km range and nuke with AP (use your concealment value to full effect), flank, (I think if you hoist the right flag you should be fairly nippy), and if your lucky enjoy a short time of sniping while your spotter plane is up.

But avoid randoms.

Edited by anonym_Hf93Jbjm9WjT

Beta Testers
1,776 posts
1,592 battles

If Warspite and Colorado were fused together, taking all of the strengths and none of the drawbacks, I would have my favorite Battleship in the game.