You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_76iqf0dp5Wvy

sometimes its better to go..lemmings?

21 comments in this topic

Members
759 posts

I had a match last night(domination), 2 in a division, spotted lemming train forming top right in OCEAN. So both of us pulled back thinking it wont end up good.

After the match I've been thinking we lost because us lacking fire power? What could've happened if our side had two more ships?

hmmm, I dont know. Guts tell me I shoulda went all in.

Edited by anonym_76iqf0dp5Wvy

[BHSN]
Members
2,564 posts
4,522 battles

I think the entire team needs the lemming mentality and would need to lemming together to work, as yes, all guns are in one place. 

Most of the time though, most go one way, a few go the other to watch that flank, then they get ruined, the flank gets destroyed then the lemming train collapses. 

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

depends on how the lemming train moves.

If it positions itself between 2 caps, then lemming train can win, but if it hides in a corner, no way.

• Cool 1

Members
642 posts
782 battles

When WG gives you lemmings, make lemmingaid.

LOL!!! That is so funny and so true! +1

Members
759 posts

Another factor I was thinking because it seem that there at t6 one would encounter newbies more often than not, so the lemming train would need all the help it can.

Cuz this isnt the only time that I had to think about how this scenario should be played out. Throw the game away and go shelling I suppose.

[-KIA-]
Senior Volunteer Moderator, Beta Testers, Supertester, Privateers, Senior Volunteer Moderator
6,550 posts
8,491 battles

Those very, very unlikely times when being Lemmings can work are fine..

But just don't do it, all the enemy has to do is get two caps and you lose.

Members
71 posts
70 battles

Depending on the situation, I end up being a sacrificial lamb and getting the enemies attention, screwing with their formation/strategy ...which usually results in me sinking (but not always) and our team winning :trollface:

Sometimes...it just makes sense

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,075 posts
30,855 battles

I had a match last night(domination), 2 in a division, spotted lemming train forming top right in OCEAN. So both of us pulled back thinking it wont end up good.

After the match I've been thinking we lost because us lacking fire power? What could've happened if our side had two more ships?

hmmm, I dont know. Guts tell me I shoulda went all in.

Lemming Trains often end in disaster.  All it needs to make them lose is whoever opposes that major push, regardless how many ships they have, is simply attack and harass them.  That stops or slows the advance down.  A salvo of torpedoes inaccurately fired towards the Lemming Train has an unholy effect of slowing down or stopping the advance.  Delays are usually that's enough for opposing team members on the other side to start taking caps.    They do that fast enough then they threaten the Lemming Train and guys start peeling off from it in one's and two's to go back.  They end up getting sunk piecemeal.

OTOH, the Lemming Train works if the momentum of attack is maintained.

Another thing, to take part in the Lemming Train or not?  I don't like to, because as I said, it usually ends up losing the match, but if you're that one or two guys left on the other side of the team's Lemming Train, you can easily get steamrolled.  So I end up participating in the Lemming Train even though I know tactically it's likely to fail.  I can at least survive better and hopefully do some damage / sinkings.  Also, if I put an aggressive show in front of the Lemming Train, I hope that it emboldens the others to speed up and keep going.  That's all I can hope to do.

• Cool 1

[5IN]
Members
1,371 posts
33,735 battles

I never go with the lemmings on principle. Its the worst tactic in game. Pushes almost always stall out and those big groups leave the entire map unguarded leading to getting flanked. This is even worse on standard than domination.

Even 3 ships on the opposing flank can play a stalling game but 4 is really needed to hold reds back.

Big flanks usually play timid, nobody willing to take risks and so often they can be held back by a few reds while the other flank gets ripped.

No matter what map or team make up the best strat is a balanced push with at least one DD being covered by 2 cruisers or more with at least one BB preferably 2.  A pyramid ship flank whether that be inverted or not will yield the best average results. 

Anytime you see cruisers or BBs crossing the centre line to the far side at spawn you know your team is in trouble. These are inherently poor players for several reasons. They are not supporting their flanks at the onset and that will further behave that way on any map point leaving team mates unsupported when needed. They are wasting time not being in position for that first few crucial salvos that can turn a battle right away. The flank that they were on has less fire power to use leaving them out gunned and the flank they are moving to will not have their guns available for a good while especially if they are BBs.

The only time it is effective to leave your flank is either when you intend to shore up a weak flank, countering lemming work or adding needed DD spotting or big guns etc or on a map like ocean for example in domination mode where AB or BC cap tactics are used. Outside of these you will do best by your team to stick to your flank and work from there.

Think of what gives better chances of success. Mass moves or lemming is only effective 20-30% of the time. Thats not a winning strat. That's a 70-80% failure rate.

Members
759 posts

I never go with the lemmings on principle. Its the worst tactic in game. Pushes almost always stall out and those big groups leave the entire map unguarded leading to getting flanked. This is even worse on standard than domination.

Even 3 ships on the opposing flank can play a stalling game but 4 is really needed to hold reds back.

Big flanks usually play timid, nobody willing to take risks and so often they can be held back by a few reds while the other flank gets ripped.

No matter what map or team make up the best strat is a balanced push with at least one DD being covered by 2 cruisers or more with at least one BB preferably 2.  A pyramid ship flank whether that be inverted or not will yield the best average results. 

Anytime you see cruisers or BBs crossing the centre line to the far side at spawn you know your team is in trouble. These are inherently poor players for several reasons. They are not supporting their flanks at the onset and that will further behave that way on any map point leaving team mates unsupported when needed. They are wasting time not being in position for that first few crucial salvos that can turn a battle right away. The flank that they were on has less fire power to use leaving them out gunned and the flank they are moving to will not have their guns available for a good while especially if they are BBs.

The only time it is effective to leave your flank is either when you intend to shore up a weak flank, countering lemming work or adding needed DD spotting or big guns etc or on a map like ocean for example in domination mode where AB or BC cap tactics are used. Outside of these you will do best by your team to stick to your flank and work from there.

Think of what gives better chances of success. Mass moves or lemming is only effective 20-30% of the time. Thats not a winning strat. That's a 70-80% failure rate.

We can prevent lemming with forum education. but to see it happen...

i probably will go in guns a blazing next time. 

Alpha Tester
11,714 posts
24,171 battles

​Let the lemming train run to the wall or corner with a little guidance from your well covered DD.

Sail into cap, take a break while you wait.

Don't get left behind.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,298 posts
6,909 battles

What do you call two lemming trains in combat?

The Battle of Lemmingrad :P

I usually hate lemming trains because it gives ample opportunity for the enemy to box the team in...and shoot them turkey-shoot style.  That being said, a fast lemming train could be very effective in getting the cap :).

Members
295 posts
1,398 battles

I know that going with the Lemming train hardly ever works and I have this habit of going off in the other direction and ultimately to my death. it's like your Damned if you do and Damned if you don't.

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
11,714 posts
24,171 battles

I know that going with the Lemming train hardly ever works and I have this habit of going off in the other direction and ultimately to my death. it's like your Damned if you do and Damned if you don't.

Yup resolve the dilemma before it grows.  You have 1 minute to stare at the map.  Look at your BB's look at your CV's?  Look where your IJN DD's are.   Look where your DD hunters are.

Look at where people would go if they could reason and work together and, depending on your ship....

Just go do your job. 

It's not to hang with guys running away.  It's not to do your own thing.  It's to support the guys that are trying.

Ignore the guys running away or back and forth, they won't go anywhere till they have someone to follow.  They are waiting for an intelligent thought.

Show em what it looks like.

I'd rather die trying, than run to the corner and wait for better people than me to swing a battle.

• Cool 1

Members
759 posts

Yup resolve the dilemma before it grows.  You have 1 minute to stare at the map.  Look at your BB's look at your CV's?  Look where your IJN DD's are.   Look where your DD hunters are.

Look at where people would go if they could reason and work together and, depending on your ship....

Just go do your job. 

It's not to hang with guys running away.  It's not to do your own thing.  It's to support the guys that are trying.

Ignore the guys running away or back and forth, they won't go anywhere till they have someone to follow.  They are waiting for an intelligent thought.

I'd rather die trying, than run to the corner and wait for better people than me to swing a battle.

Thx for joining us Admiral.
  • Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,144 posts
22,072 battles

If you don't have enough going with you to protect a flank, then lemming with the rest of them so you can survive longer, get in some damage, and make some XP and credits..  If cover is available, 3 ships of different types playing defense can slow down the enemy push.  Unfortunately on ocean 3 ships can be steamrolled if the enemy's lemming train is more committed to the push and coming at your lightly defended flank.

Beta Testers
5,082 posts
5,575 battles

depends on how the lemming train moves.

If it positions itself between 2 caps, then lemming train can win, but if it hides in a corner, no way.

If a lemming train on the green team positions itself between two caps, I suggest you immediately invest in a lottery ticket.

Members
295 posts
1,398 battles

Just go do your job. 

Good Advice and I agree. Thanks

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,136 posts
4,017 battles

Very few lemming trains turn out well in my experience. Usually it's a pocket group of battleships and a CA or two that decide it's a great idea to tour the boarder and not actually cap anything.

Me- "We capped A shift to B."

Them- "There's DDs inside B."

Me- "Spot them, focus fire and push them out."

I mean, that tactic works on me all the time. no reason i can't use it against somebody else for once, right? Five minutes later I'm done dealing with my own engagement and find B still not taken and red making incestuous DD love to it. Punch the boosters on my own DD and lay in a direct intercept for B.

Me- "Moving into B, will need fire support."

No reply. About three of us- 2 DDs and a BB fight tooth and nail to drive out three DDs and their cling-on CAs behind the cap. When I finally have a chance to look at the map, I find half our remaining fleet inspecting the boarder well away from any caps or action.

My response in chat was amazingly polite. :angry: