Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
steelreserv27

Late Access look at the new Furutaka

32 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
6,106 battles

Tempted to go back and try her out. Last time I played her was WAY before any of her buffs, let alone the 5.6 buff. Back when she had a LONG reload and SLOW turrets.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Members
7,877 posts
43,462 battles

It is not a bad ship. The only issue is the short range. In maps with islands it does fine. Guns are good, torps (and torp arc) excellent.

It is now closer to Aoba with better torpedo arc.

In maps like Ocean, when long range Kongo or Königsberg are around, it is in trouble.

Beta Testers
4,007 posts
14,539 battles

pretty much.  Its not fun fighting budyonnys.

Not fun fighting anything that's beyond tier 6 on the Cruiser and BB side since they can murder you before you can lay 1 shot

Stick as a support ship and help the DDs since it has a decent concealment

[APOC]
Members
1,980 posts
7,191 battles

I went back and bought it just to try the C Hull. The ship in general is really good, but the gun placements were a massive turn off for me before which is why I sold it. I love the Myoko, Mogami, and Atago. So Bought the Furry and put all the gear on it and it did not disappoint. It is DEFINITELY a corner hugger though. Low range and long ship means brawling range and with the Texas out you just need to play smart. Those DD torps make up for almost any disadvantage though. I am almost to the Hipper to try the C hull on it. It looks so hawt.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
3,265 posts
6,614 battles

Are you freakin' kidding me?

The new ship is AMAZING. Best T5 cruiser hands down! I murder Konigs, Omahas (all variants), Kirovs, etc., and burn down BBs. The torps are very good at 10km range (although the arcs could be better).

What she isn't good at is DD hunting. She absolutely sucks at it. But she is a CL murderer with her LOLz 180mm citadel makers.

http://wowreplays.com/Replay/8346

[SYN]
Members
5,956 posts
13,861 battles

Uh, no.

OP needs to do a better job keeping up with the game's meta.

Furutaka has been a tier V beast for several patches now.  One of the strongest ships in it's tier in the game.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
2,327 posts
3,235 battles

its a really fun ship. i re-bought after the new C hull and really enjoy it. 

the AA is weak but this is manageable, and the range on the main guns is a bit short, but it needs some drawbacks. 

i actually gave its commander the torpedo acceleration skill which seems to be working well enough. ambushing BBs around islands is more than practical with the added speed. its also a good chaser ship now that you get four forward firing guns. its narrow profile and agility make it hard to hit head on. 

Members
1,049 posts
2,585 battles

Uh, no.

OP needs to do a better job keeping up with the game's meta.

Furutaka has been a tier V beast for several patches now.  One of the strongest ships in it's tier in the game.

Oh you mean the meta where you get spotted and shot at by everything on the map and you are still 3kms away? Yeah, my bad.

im happy for everyone who has a good match in it once in a while (probably a Tier V match), but to say its a beast is an overstatement, imo.

Dont judge the ship based only on how awesome you are versus potatoes, judge it as you are at the helm of your opponents.

Edited by steelreserv

Beta Testers
2,580 posts
4,750 battles

'I took the Upgrade that kills RoF & dispersion' -> complains about RoF & dispersion...:sceptic:

• Cool 2

[RLGN]
Members
19,164 posts
35,200 battles

I'm actually hacked off the C hull is basically the Aoba configuration now, especially since I was so used to the 6-turret configuration.

"Oh, the Furry sux so hard!"  Yeah, whatever; I bought the thing against my will during some Japanese-centric event or another, (skipped from Hasidate straight into Furutaka because I didn't want to waste my time,) and of course I stank in it; but like jumping directly into Bogue without any previous CV experience, I beat my head against the wall and learned to play the ship. Loved not losing a third of my firepower with a turret hit, and also learned to wreck DDs and other light-cruisers with those heavy guns and torps. (To mis-quote Sir Robin... 'A BATTLESHIP! RUN-AWWAAAAYYYY!') Though that was not always the case; I learned use of oddball torpedo attacks, like predicting where ships would come out from behind rocks and sending torps seemingly off into nowhere, and torped my share of BBs with the Furutaka as well.

Opening my port after 0.5.6 and realizing I'd been FORCED to convert to the 'new' C-hull was a huge disappointment.

Admittedly I haven't used it yet; so we'll see how I feel after I finally do.

Beta Testers
2,580 posts
4,750 battles

You can still go back to the B hull if you are a masochist/to perv at its odd beauty.

Alpha Tester
2,902 posts
6,252 battles

Once I watched this video I stopped having issues with the Furutaka.  I play it like an undersized BB and pick on the enemy DD fleet. 

Members
800 posts
7,359 battles

Furiostaco is pretty decent but the Kirov still is my favorite T5 cruiser. Those lovely frontal turrets, OH! (I wish it had torps as good as Furu though).

Members
1,049 posts
2,585 battles

'I took the Upgrade that kills RoF & dispersion' -> complains about RoF & dispersion...:sceptic:

And if i took the dispersion mod, id complain about the traverse.

thats the problem with it.  You cant have both.

honestly, 2km morerange and the ship is really competitive.

Edited by steelreserv

[HINON]
Members
7,797 posts
2,144 battles

I left her just before she got this upgrade...

She must be insane now...

Furutaka before was hard to play, but once you got it, you were a wild among sheep.

Harass BBs, get close to annihilate cruisers, and roflstomp destroyers.

Seriously, I would charge into smokescreens, pop the hydroacoustic, and murder whatever was inside.

As long as you're bow on with her, you are impossible to hit with torpedoes.

You might as well have force fields, because your WASD torpedobeats guarantee you won't be hit.

I was sad to sell her, but it was for the Aoba...

Beta Testers
2,580 posts
4,750 battles

2km morerange and the ship is really competitive.

2km more range & it'd need to be shifted up a tier.

Thing is with the 2 forward turrets you can just nose in to an enemy & then traverse rate isn't much of an issue.

And besides they are I think the fastest IJN 8" turrets so its pretty silly to complain about that at all.

Beta Testers
11,669 posts

Phew.  I thought the new Taco was overpowered but now there is proof of her suckage so she won't get nerfed.

• Cool 1

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

And if i took the dispersion mod, id complain about the traverse.

thats the problem with it.  You cant have both.

honestly, 2km morerange and the ship is really competitive.

Deal with the traverse, it's not as poor as Myoko (45 second 180 time) or even Aoba and Zao (36 second 180 time), in fact it's tied with Mogami and Ibuki's 30-second 180 traverse.  The only IJN ship with faster 203mm gun traverse is the Atago, which has a 29-second traverse time.

Speaking of Aoba, her range is 14.9km right now: if you gave Furutaka 15km range that eliminates any and all superiority Aoba has over her lower-tier half-sister save AA firepower.  For reference, even the Myoko and Mogami both top out at 15.7km for main battery range, so clearly 15km firing range is too far for an IJN T5.

Edited by TenguBlade

Members
1,049 posts
2,585 battles

2km more range & it'd need to be shifted up a tier.

Thing is with the 2 forward turrets you can just nose in to an enemy & then traverse rate isn't much of an issue.

And besides they are I think the fastest IJN 8" turrets so its pretty silly to complain about that at all.

I actually agree. 2kms and the ship would be too close to the Aoba.  But it is what it is.  

Its not silly to critique its playability.  In other ijn cruisers you have decent concealment compared to their range, and also their range buffer allows them to disengage.  The Furutaka cannot do this.   Saying to just "nose in" oversimplifies it.

w/n 13km it is effective, no question.  Getting in and out of an engagement is its Achilles heel.

thats what ive found at least.

Members
1,049 posts
2,585 battles

Deal with the traverse, it's not as poor as Myoko (45 second 180 time) or even Aoba and Zao (36 second 180 time), in fact it's tied with Mogami and Ibuki's 30-second 180 traverse.  The only IJN ship with faster 203mm gun traverse is the Atago, which has a 29-second traverse time.

Speaking of Aoba, her range is 14.9km right now: if you gave Furutaka 15km range that eliminates any and all superiority Aoba has over her lower-tier half-sister save AA firepower.  For reference, even the Myoko and Mogami both top out at 15.7km for main battery range, so clearly 15km firing range is too far for an IJN T5.

Comon man, i can't say "deal with it" to ppl.  Lol. And honestly, any purple player who drives it probably can make due with the lack of traverse.  But its not a no questions asked situation.  

I like its playability now, i like the traverse build, i love the gun layout.  Looking at the kirov and its rail guns, the grass is greener.  I get that.  But I just didnt enjoy it at all in tier 6+ battles and there is a specific identifiable reason for that.  

1.9km more is fine as well. Shoot, i'd take 1km!  Point is, more range is needed. Its the exact same gun as the Aoba i think. 2 GO?

Sign in to follow this