Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
JochenHeiden

Dreading Königsberg to Nürnberg jump

47 comments in this topic

Members
866 posts
8,847 battles

Help me understand how this will help me.  The ships are nearly identical in HP, same speed, same crap armor, same guns.  So, bascially, I am taking a less maneuverable Königsberg up a tier and facing VASTLY superior higher tier cruisers because we all know matchmaker will be putting me up against solid Tier VII and VIII ships.  I am simply dreading it. 

Right now I'm holding my own with the Königsberg and I am using it for hit-and-run fights, but I don't know if the Nurn can do the same against better cruisers. 

[BOSS]
Beta Testers
2,762 posts
16,845 battles

I will be honest I played the Nurnberg minimally as I decided to buy the Yorck when it was on special, and used a bunch of saved XP to go through it.

I liked it better than the Konigsberg tho.... I just stayed well back and shot AP at everyone.   Most of the German Cruiser line is soft like Pensacola/New Orleans so you need to be used to that playstyle as you go up anyways.

Beta Testers
24 posts
4,760 battles

Nurn is much better. Better AA, Roughly the same guns, more HP.

You'll kill DD's with ease, cruisers 1 v 1 and even cause grief to battleships when they're not paying attention and your knocking the hell out of them with AP.

[WG-CC]
-Members-, Members
9,101 posts
8,050 battles

Nürnberg is a strong ship especially with this huuuuuge AA-buff. I never felt outmatched except against a Cleveland or that T6 RU Cruiser that are just armored like hell.

Members
368 posts
2,436 battles

Right now I'm holding my own with the Königsberg and I am using it for hit-and-run fights, but I don't know if the Nurn can do the same against better cruisers. 

You'll do fine at T6.. I play my Nurn pretty much the same way that I play my Koni and I'm pleased with the Nurns performance.

Other than BBsitting fatties or being a fly swatter for the the fleet; The other T6 cruisers are not necessarily better..  The Nurn has the same great guns as the Koni. 

I would have no problem with dueling with any T6 cruiser at a starting range of 18Km in a Nurnberg, or even a Konigsberg for that matter.

IMHO; German Cruisers at T5-T7 are highly under-estimated.

I'm looking forward to getting my very own Yorck soon.

GL OP,

S.

[Y81]
Members
836 posts
4,556 battles

Firstly,until I got a 160k damage game in the ARP Haguro on the SEA server,the highest scoring games I have had so far were the Nurnberg. A 130k damage game each  on the SEA and NA servers.Play it right and it kicks butt!

Main thing to remember is to not get to much attention drawn to yourself in it,as its made of glass.Always keep an eye on who may be shooting at you.

Nurnberg AP is good against most things,I have citadeled a Pensacola to death with it,and you can get decent damage with it against most BB and cruisers.Only one I have trouble with is the Cleveland,still can't find the soft spot on that!

As issm said,the rear guns are centrelined on the Nurnberg,so you get even firing angles with it.

[Y81]
Members
836 posts
4,556 battles

You'll do fine at T6.. I play my Nurn pretty much the same way that I play my Koni and I'm pleased with the Nurns performance.

Other than BBsitting fatties or being a fly swatter for the the fleet; The other T6 cruisers are not necessarily better..  The Nurn has the same great guns as the Koni. 

I would have no problem with dueling with any T6 cruiser at a starting range of 18Km in a Nurnberg, or even a Konigsberg for that matter.

IMHO; German Cruisers at T5-T7 are highly under-estimated.

I'm looking forward to getting my very own Yorck soon.

GL OP,

S.

Yorck is my favorite ship in game at the moment,even though I don't get huge damage scores with it ( somehow got a 70k and 74k on the weekend,which was great though!). Good games I get about 40k damage usually.

You have to really work at the Yorck to get it to perform well though,it plays a lot differently to the other ships.Make sure you know how to WASD and angle,and have good situational awareness to know who is or is about to fire at you.Turrets are a tad slow even with the captain skill,so you need to plan your targets in advance when turning hard.

HE is the main thing to use,AP is very dependant on the target showing you its side.WHEN AP works it does good damage.Also the AP slower which makes it harder to aim.Most people recommend only using it under 10km which seems to be the thing.

I also recommend getting the rudder upgrade to help with the run rate to.

Oh,and its a great DD killer to.The 5.6km Hyrdo plus good HE means they die pretty quickly if they don't run!

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,630 posts
5,107 battles

Help me understand how this will help me.  The ships are nearly identical in HP, same speed, same crap armor, same guns.  So, bascially, I am taking a less maneuverable Königsberg up a tier and facing VASTLY superior higher tier cruisers because we all know matchmaker will be putting me up against solid Tier VII and VIII ships.  I am simply dreading it. 

Less mobile? Wut? I remember K-Berg as a brick. She turned like a turd and that was that. Nurnberg is SOO much more better and is considerably more beautiful.

She's my favorite of the German Cruiser line right now.

~Hunter

Members
1,112 posts
1,111 battles

The RoF is very noticeable. You can demolish poor enemy cruisers before they know what hit them. The N-berg is a bit better in every category and if you like the K-berg you'll love the N-berg. The only disadvantage the N-berg has is it can see Tier VIII competition. You really can't do anything against them unless they do something stupid.

Members
122 posts
1,539 battles

I remember eating faces with the K-Berg, then switching to N-Berg and continuing to eat faces, albeit of a higher tier flavor.

Members
866 posts
8,847 battles

Thanks for the encouragement all, this sounds good.  The ROF will be nice because I think it's already decent with the K, a couple seconds less will be even more devastating. 

[A-D-F]
Members
7,877 posts
43,460 battles

I like them and have both in port (Königsberg and Nürnberg). Very good ships and very similar, so if you do well with one you can do well with the other. Better RoF, better AA, same gun layout. No reason to skip it. It is of course just as fragile but you know that from Königsberg. The change is on Yorck (which I did not like and sold), and am currently grinding Hipper (very good ship). I still go back to the T5/T6 pair as they are fun to play. Now with Ranked I will have an excuse to try again.

Beta Testers
186 posts
7,768 battles

HE is the main thing to use,AP is very dependant on the target showing you its side.WHEN AP works it does good damage.Also the AP slower which makes it harder to aim.Most people recommend only using it under 10km which seems to be the thing.

Just wanted to add that this is the most important point to take away for using this ship. You can use AP over 10K+ but very selectively depending on your target.

[ANKER]
Members
1,196 posts
6,279 battles

yeah Nurnberg is a konigsberg that gets VIII MM. Performed statistically better in the Konigs too. Though this was when the KM just released so things may be different. I wouldnt skip the Nurn though, it'd be a waste of XP. All I can advise is to continue playing him like the Konigs and hope for the best

Members
152 posts
10,172 battles

I am on the Konigsberg now but with other lines you can't go by numbers alone; from my experience.  The Konigsberg is fun and does pretty good a lot of the time.  It is fragile like most cruisers but it has good guns, good speed, ok range and sonar.  I'm not good with torps, I have had the IJN line of cruisers some time ago but dumped them in favor of the US line which I like very much.  They have saved me a couple of times but usually don't use them if I don't need to.  In all honesty though I use this ship in coop most of the time but just got the upgrades on it so will try some random battles.  I mostly play BBs and higher tier in random battles so I may be part of the problem with this this ship there

[DOW]
[DOW]
Members
1,082 posts
41,469 battles

Nothing to dread OP. It is a funny thing about tiers though. The self same 6" round that tears up a lot of what the K-berg faces suddenly starts bouncing way more often in T6 MM, especially at range. Change ammo as necessary and whenever necessary, your fast reload makes this relatively painless. Check the after battle damage per shell/type including fires and adjust as needed, trying to remember those shooting situations. You'll be fine, Nurn is right there with the competition and has it's advantages.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,680 posts

I've changed my mind.  I've been having a blast in my Nurnburg the last week or so, and I think I'm going to keep it around- WITH the good captain.    That ship has been printing citadel hits!  Broke my record last game with one full salvo on a near full health Omaha netting me FIVE citadels and an instakill.

It was a touch of a meh when I first got it, and I set it aside to grind later.   I recently came back to it, and have been grinding it relentlessly- and switching to Konig if I die, so I can keep playing and earn more credits.  Sometimes I forget which ship I'm in, lol.  This time around, it's a much more fun grind- and I'm actually excited to log on so I can play it!

You have nothing to worry about, OP.   Avoid being foolish around BB's,  Kite when it's favorable, and hunt enemy DD's and cruisers.  VS the russian cruisers, there's no better weapon at tier than a Konig or Nurnburg.  ( excluding BB's of course)   DD's melt before that onslaught, and your 6 km high damage torps work wonders on those sit-in-smoke-and-pew types. ( they'll do good work against ANYTHING that lets you get that close)

MUCH better AA than Koney- esp with the C hull.  Planes are a bit tougher to kill at this tier, but you're far from helpless.  With 4 twin 88mm mounts, Manual control of AA isn't a bad choice- they're your heavy AA damage dealers anyway, may as well make the most of them.

And with 70,400 xp to grind to get to the Yorck, you'll have lots of time to get really good at it, lol.

[LEG13]
[LEG13]
Members
43 posts

Two things I have noticed about it.  One, when you learn how to play it properly it can be a beast.  I have went up against captains, who I am sure are well versed in it, that frustrate me to no end.  Two, until you learn it prepare to be the first target anyone shoots at and then to die allot.

Seems to be to be very little between area, either they are the in first group to go or they are really putting the punishment to the other team.

Members
152 posts
10,172 battles

Well on the Nurnberg now and I like it better than the koni.   Stock, its a beast, so it's only going to get better.   With AP it crushes other cruisers and destroyers have become fun target practice.  BBs are doable but you have to get close enough to use torps that requires the help of an ally or a poor captain.   Plenty of poor captains at Nurnberg level but you have to be careful because lots of good ones too.

The IJN ARPs were my biggest credit earners but now mostly the Nurnberg and less often the NM, Colorado, Amagi, NC and less often the ARPs make the coins for me these days.

Members
199 posts
2,045 battles

Do not fear the jump.  All that you love in the Kberg gets better in the Nberg.  The armor is still paper mixed with soggy bread though, so avoid going broadside. 

Members
4 posts
436 battles

Do not fear the jump.  All that you love in the Kberg gets better in the Nberg.  The armor is still paper mixed with soggy bread though, so avoid going broadside. 

Im finding this quite the opposite so far and I play my Nurn the same way I did my Konig. And I loved the Konig so much.

Members
383 posts
4,341 battles

The RoF is very noticeable. You can demolish poor enemy cruisers before they know what hit them. The N-berg is a bit better in every category and if you like the K-berg you'll love the N-berg. The only disadvantage the N-berg has is it can see Tier VIII competition. You really can't do anything against them unless they do something stupid.

Pretty much this.

You can use the range and ROF to be a pest against tier 8s, but thats about it. Unless you have no choice a point blank broadside with AP can still deal the damage, but your to soft to consider it often. 

Tier 7's are still easy prey, but you must pay attention on defense. The K-ber and the N-berg both perform the same job of a "battlecruiser" where your offensive capability is your main defense. This carries onto the Yorck, so get use to it. 

[BOATC]
Beta Testers
126 posts
7,508 battles

The Nurnberg is immense, with the Cleveland finally nerfed a step too far the Nurn is easily the best tier 6 cruiser, and it will handily take every tier 7 cruiser bar the conquering Myoko as well, not to mention posing a serious threat to any tier 6 or 7 battleship, except maybe a Warspite with its high accuracy. I think you'll find the actual change you should dread is the jump from Nurn to Yorck, as you get a slower ship with glacier guns that take a very long time to come to grips with.

Tier 8 is tougher, but you can still pen almost everything, they're just better at killing you back. Also DDs can be a problem, as the bad HE shell means they live longer, Ognevoi/Kiev in particular.

Sign in to follow this