You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
epojokke

Why do people play battleships?

87 comments in this topic

[DAS]
Members
1,084 posts
15,988 battles

I know I am a noob in a battleship, and I have been told they get better at higher tiers, but still I find it boring to sail around for 30-35 sec before I can shoot and not do much damage unless I get a citadel.

Any words before I completely give up on battleships?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,732 posts
26,569 battles

Not from me. I'm not gonna hold your hand and pat you on the head. If you want to be a quitter and give up on a whole class because of some experiences in low tiers, there's nothing I can or would want to do to stop you. Not every class is for every person. *shrug*

Me? I'm going to continue sailing around with the biggest gun on the map, delorting cruisers left right and center while shrugging off their fire and using my magic healing potions.

• Cool 7

[PSV]
Privateers
5,523 posts
6,129 battles

Big numbers ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

DvaqQMF.jpg

Edited by Personator
  • Cool 3

Alpha Tester, Members, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,413 posts

Because i'm a masochist that enjoys watching most of my shells miss their target despite leading perfectly just so i can see that one triple citadel every 3-4 battles.

• Cool 4

[EF21]
Members
676 posts
46,954 battles

I like BBs because I really enjoy sinking a ship, say a cruiser, with a single volley. It rocks me, no, it rocks them!

Members
4,608 posts

I play for that strategy of when to shoot, and where to go.  Its not like CAs where you can spray and pray.

Members
71 posts
70 battles

Battleships require a level of focus, dedication, and forethought that many don't have and/or don't use.

They can be a great way to challenge yourself and have fun...but I usually enjoy them because it was through playing BBs back in the day that i bacame REALLY good at aiming and expected player movements (because you gotta know these things if you BB)

...so now here I am on my new account, playing around with these low level cruisers again and being a boss at it because I still got that BB aim ;)

Also...they are just plain cool.

Members
409 posts
5,504 battles

I know I am a noob in a battleship, and I have been told they get better at higher tiers, but still I find it boring to sail around for 30-35 sec before I can shoot and not do much damage unless I get a citadel.

The range is 21.2km and you should close. Monster secondary's on Kongou.

[PSV]
Privateers
5,523 posts
6,129 battles

because they are the leading class by damage dealt, competing in it with air carriers only

Well, CVs are going to go downhill reeeaaally quickly with 0.5.6 AA buffs

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles

Because I like seeing those 20k~60k dmg rolls without it being a detonation.

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
12,147 posts
9,111 battles

People play BBs for lots of different ways, some play because they want to play specific ships like the Kongo, Iowa, or Yamato.

Some play because they think that BBs are powerful ships that they can wreck other ships in and tank tons of damage. 

People that understand battleships more enjoy playing a class that requires a lot of thinking ahead and planning to be successful, playing it like someone would play chess thinking several moves ahead to out play enemies before the attack even happens. 

The vast majority of players however play BBs to see the massive citadels happen to other ships and celebrate the penetrations of enemy citadels that they get. 

BBs are not for everybody, the play style is slow and requires patience as well as precision, but it can be rewarding when played right. 

Beta Testers
783 posts
4,031 battles

Why do I play WG's Why Japan Should Have Won the War Simulator? I enjoy splices, overpens, bounces and being set on fire.

BBs are topping damage for 2 reasons. First most of the damage comes off of other BBs. Second the potato meta forces cruisers to be targets in a circus shooting gallery.

[NH]
Members
199 posts
8,531 battles

Ever take a BB into a narrow straight and have a knife fight with cruisers? It's hella fun... Dodging torps when you're a lumbering beast is also much more rewarding. Plus I like big numbers of course, deleting ships is oh so satisfying.

And like others said, a BB is about outsmarting other players because you have to think ahead, guessing when the torps are coming before you see them and predicting when they are going to pop out is really satisfying because you get to dodge to some torpedo beats or close range citadel a poor CA who just came around the corner.

Edited by Taregant

[-DPF-]
Members
774 posts
11,104 battles

They are fun! :teethhappy:. They are powerful, and can control the map and the course of the battle.  They can delete almost any non-BB ship in 1-2 salvos if well played.  They require a thoughtful and strategic approach to the battle because they move and fire slowly.  Every salvo counts because you don't get too many of them.  They are beautiful!  They are historic!  They are not for everyone!  If you want a frantic fast paced shoot-me-up style of play, take VMF or USN DDs.  If you want the ninja stealth game, go with IJN DDs.  If you want do a bit of everything play with a fairly fast pace, and lots of play styles, go with cruisers (my favorites are the DKM, but many prefer IJN or VMF depending upon personal style preferences).  However, if you want to be a BADASS!TM [see video How to Tirpitz for definition] PLAY BBs! :teethhappy:

Members
4,533 posts
18,504 battles

Me? I'm going to continue sailing around with the biggest gun on the map, delorting cruisers left right and center while shrugging off their fire and using my magic healing potions.

And when you get  De-Lert-ed..  it's worse than being  Deleted or Delorted, it's for Lyfe !
Edited by Shadowrigger1

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,878 battles

Today, I trained a Zuiho-to-Ryuho captain in the Ishizuchi.  I basically had ZERO captain skills applicable to a BB. -- Tail Gunner, Accel Torps, Dogfighting, Torp loader

Despite that, it worked GREAT and almost completed the 9250 retraining points in one mission alone.

Beta Testers
259 posts

Low tier BB's are horrible. And the US line doesnt get good until the New Mexico. The JP line gets good at the Myogi.

Members
1,719 posts
4,106 battles

Because i'm a masochist

So what your a CV player now that takes real pain especially T6 CVs

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

People play BBs because they're by far the strongest line at higher tiers.

Even at low tiers there is something wrong with you if you don't giggle a little every time you take 80%+ of a ships health with one volley.

Oh, and starting around T5 you can have much hilarity by firing blind at the enemy starting position.  Usually you just miss.  Sometimes you get a hit or two.  On rare occasions you get massive damage followed by a ton of salt.  My best blind shot to date was destroying an Aoba something like 40 seconds after the battle started in a Kongo, Two Brothers you're the worst map in the game but now I hate you a little less.  This blind firing will get you called a hacker if you hit, basically every time.

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

I play battleships because I was always fascinated with them.  I really don't have a disinclination for any class or line except maybe gunboat DDs (I dislike the playstyle so they were sold first to make room), but I play a lot of battleships purely for that reason.  Most cruisers can punish broadsiding just as well once you get to mid-tier, so it's not like the way I play this game has much of a bearing.

Edited by TenguBlade
  • Cool 1

Members
800 posts
7,359 battles

I like the juggernaut aspect of BBs, it feels so good to be torped by 2 DDs and still survive killing both with one salvo each while pushing a point. Damn I even like playing Izumo, even though it can't hit anything I'm always in the receiving end of a rain of torps, fire, bombs, shells and it takes so much time to kill the damn thing.

I only wish more teammates would make use of the time that half of the enemy team wastes on killing a ship that can't kill anyone.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,298 posts
6,911 battles

Not from me. I'm not gonna hold your hand and pat you on the head. If you want to be a quitter and give up on a whole class because of some experiences in low tiers, there's nothing I can or would want to do to stop you. Not every class is for every person. *shrug*

I agree with his opinion!  If you have issues with battleships, watch some tutorials and play around in Co-Op.  What I love about the latter is that the enemies are quite competent, so they'll give you a sufficient challenge and allow you to test battleship tactics to the fullest extent. 

I'm mostly a long-range troll sniper (Molotov is my favorite ship at the moment), but I do take out my Beta Arkansas from time to time...and she kicks [edited].  I mean...She can take everything and uppercuts smaller ships at close range :P.

Edited by Battlecruiser_Yavuz