Pigeon_of_War

Feedback and Thoughts Directly to Pigeon_of_War

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

2,133 posts in this topic

Hey Pigeon.  I know it has been brought up before but restricting the Tier III / IV / V battles to 1 CV per side would go a long way to reducing frustration of new players. At those Tiers the low speed, poor maneuverability, and almost non-existent AA is a horrible situation.

Just thinking. 

Hey Pigeon, just wanted to say I'm super psyched about this next patch (Cruiser armor/detection buff mostly). I did want to speak out about the Tirpitz secondary buff though, 7k is way too much. While she did need a buff, this now makes her far and away better than her tech tree counterpart which IMO is not the purpose of premiums. 5k would have been much better as it would place her on equal range terms as Scharn+Gnies in addition to her extra secondaries and torps it would have been a better progression and balance. Before you bite my head off and say that Bismarck has hydro, remember that it was nerfed a couple patches ago so while still handy it is nowhere near as competitive or useful. Owning a Bismark seems redundant now when compared to Tirpitz, the nice balance between tech tree and premium that Sharn/Gneis or Chapayev/Kutuzov have was skipped entirely.

:great: Very much this, even as a happy Tirp owner, it is a bit too much.

• Why is there no fire assit for team mates by using your damage control party for putting out your team mates ship fire? You cannot help your team mate when they are on fire. Ships did do that action in WW2.
  • How about saying "Check fire! "Check fire! Friendly in danger" and the guns don't fire at all to prevent team damage? How about some pro-active programming that can be done with that thought?

If such a thing were to be implemented, there would need to be a penalty to the ship(s) engaged in assisting others with damage control. The ship conducting the assist would have to match the course and speed of the damaged friendly, exposing itself to attacks. This did happen on numerous occasions, which is why many damaged ships had to fend for themselves until the battle was over.

Edited by Hiro_Yoshi

Hey Pigeon, can you throw this idea at the higher-ups?

+1

Anything that would make the reward for the events more achievable to a larger portion of the player base.  As it is right now the numbers make it look like barring some significant giveaways by WG to change things we are going to be seeing fewer than 500 of the Special Camo Kamikaze R prizes getting into player hands, so this now becomes a prize with a higher rarity than the Flint!  Rewards for reaching rank 1 should be far rarer than rewards for a server wide open contest whose only limitation is T5+. 

Reminds me of the Pearl event where it was obvious by day 2 that the event was going to end before anyone could earn the Kamikaze R.  It feels not as if WG is trying to limit the rewards, just encourage more play, but didn't realize just how limited the play requirements would make the rewards.

While we fully appreciate getting free rewards (free is awesome), it sort of detracts from the fun and enjoyment of the event knowing the prize is going to be so rarely seen as to be nearly invisible.  

Edited by SyndicatedINC

Hi, Pigeon.

I have a very specific request about an area of the game I'm sure many players will find insignificant - the ship contour icons. 

I know the ones we have are kinda WG tradition.  I'm sorry to put it this way, but quite plainly, they suck.  In this little graphic, I'm looking for three pieces of information at a glance: vehicle name, vehicle class, vehicle tier.  That 'at a glance' part is key.  Because if these things aren't there to pass that information quickly, then they serve no real purpose in the game. 

- Tier is the only thing you get at a quick glance, and you only get that if your brain decodes Roman numerals quickly and correctly.  Yeah, I know most of us do, but the recognition for Arabic numerals is both faster and more universal in this country and I'd bet that goes for the whole hemisphere.

- The icons depict the various classes with their background color - but the color choices are so subtle, and get changed for your division mates.  Telling the classes apart by their contour icon colors requires me to focus on the whole list for a lot longer than a quick glance.  I've seen some nice primary color schemes for these that work very well.  When you look at the player panel, you could be able to see the balance of classes in the match without having to focus on anything.  When the background colors are more easily distinguishable from one another, you very easily can.

- Lastly, the silhouette provides me no useful information at a glance, period.  I mean, it's a cool touch and I'm not saying it should go away - just that maybe it could be behind some text that tells me which ship it is?

I've had the same complaint about WoT since 2012.  I'd appreciate it if you would please pass this on to the developers.  Thanks!

Hey Pigeon, can you throw this idea at the higher-ups?

Though I personally like the idea, the problem would come from people not participating int he event would complain that a Supercontainer was wasted on this item (since it only has one purpose). Not a bad idea for consideration and tweaking, though.

Do you mind explaining the rationale behind the Tirpitz buff? Was it really that far (stats wise) behind the Bismarck?

Thank you

Do you mind explaining the rationale behind the Tirpitz buff? Was it really that far (stats wise) behind the Bismarck?

Thank you

I don't have the exact figures, but for a long time Bismarck was outclassing Tirpitz in every capacity, event though they are relatively the same ship. With Bismarck able to get a 10km+ secondary range, and Tirpitz MAYBE able to torpedo an enemy Bismarck at 6km range (which, let's be honest, is danger close), there was no reason a DEBB player would pick Tirpitz over Bismarck. With an almost 5KM buffer zone of the "Secondaries of Doom" in Bismarck, a Tirpitz would have to risk maybe half of it's health pool just to have a chance to combat a brawling Bismarck. 

Now they are more competitive with each other. 

people not participating int he event would complain that a Supercontainer was wasted on this item (since it only has one purpose)

Not necessarily. There are also many smaller rewards one can purchase with the coins. Camouflages, flags, etc.

So, I'm going a little outside my sheltered CV Gated Community class-specific sub-thread, and I'm going to suggest an alternative armament for Aircraft, instead of the much-controversial air-strafe.

Rocket-Attack/Surface Strafe (IJN):

The purpose (in-game) of the Rocket-Attack/Surface Strafe is to deal a low, but predictable, amount of damage to surface ships, with a high chance of breaking or suppressing AA mounts (like disabling a gun-turret) on high-AA ships.

Suppression: A new kind of Incapacitation. Ships with the "Suppressed" Incapacitation have their AA DPS reduced by 2/3 (1/2 with the AA Armaments Mod. 1) for 45 seconds. Suppression has a small chance to occur every time a ship's AA mounts or dual-purpose weapons (including the Main Battery for ships with DP Main Battery) are damaged, and this chance is larger if they are damaged by High Explosive Shells, and even larger if they are damaged by Rockets/Surface Strafe. Note that Suppression does not affect the surface attack capabilities of DP weapons.

Here's how rockets (or the Surface Strafe) work:

Rockets (USN/RN): Rockets are fighter-mounted weapons designed primarily to harass warships, ground troops, and sink shipping. While they rarely secure kills, they can cause debilitating status defects that force players to choose whether-or-not to burn their Damage Control consumable, opening-up opportunities for one's team to strike a previously-unassailable ship (for example, a full-health Bismark late in the game). Rockets are fired in a path so that they hit the superstructure of a vessel, and consume 75% of an aircraft's ammunition when attacking (more on this later). Rockets unlock at T6 along with all other Manual-Attacks.

The RN only gets one kind of rocket: the RP-3. This rocket is moderate in all respects (damage, fire-chance, module-damage, suppression-chance) except in deployment numbers: British squads can launch 12 rockets per attack, which generally means higher hit-rates (throw enough stuff at the wall...). RP-3 rockets deal 250 damage per hit: nothing major if you get hit by 4, and even a full salvo will only deal 3000 damage tops (Rockets can ricochet or shatter if they hit or belt armour, but never over-penetrate).

RP-3/FFAR Stats:

Damage per Rocket: 250

Rockets per Salvo- RP-3: 12; FFAR: 10

Warhead Type: 60lb HE/SAP (High-Explosive/Semi-Armour Piercing)

Flight Speed: 480 m/s (Historical Value, Subject to Change)

Armour Penetration: ~130-140mm Krupp Steel

**Over-penetrates Armour less than armour penetration = False**

Fire-Chance on Impact: 10% per rocket (Honestly, this and the Suppression chance are the ones I'm most shaky with, as I'm not too sure how Fire Chance works)

Suppression Chance: 13% Per Rocket

The USN starts with a FFAR similar in almost all respects to the British RP-3, except that the USN can only launches 10 per salvo whereas the British can launch 12. [see British Rocket Stats].

However, the USN can research two separate types of rockets starting at T6 (research carries-over to succeeding vessels): the fast-and-fiery HVAR or the lumbering-but heavily-armed Tiny Tim.

HVAR Stats-

Damage per Rocket: 150

Rockets per Salvo: 10

Flight Speed: 568 m/s (Historical value, subject to change) [speed of aircaft (F6F-5-- ~148m/s) + speed of missile (420m/s)]

Armour Penetration: ~160-170mm Krupp Steel

Warhead: 7.5 lbs Composition B

Fire-Chance on Impact: 18% per Rocket (Still shaky on this)

Suppression-Chance on Impact: 20% per Rocket

Tiny Tim stats-

Damage per Rocket: 500

Rockets per Salvo: 10 (yes, that's a max damage of 5000, or a little more than 1 Colorado full penetration. See the next part)

Flight Speed: 397 m/s (By far the slowest-- Also, Historical Value yada yada)

Warhead: ~149 lbs TNT

Armour Penetration: 228mm Krupp Steel

Fire-Chance on Impact: 15% per rocket

Suppression-Chance on Impact: 25% per rocket (and this is based purely on the psychological [and physiological] effects of having 150lbs of TNT explode in your face)

IMPORTANT NOTE: If a Fighter squad has used-up more than 25% of its ammunition when it activates a rocket-strike, it still fires rockets, but only a percentage of rockets equal to the percent of ammunition required that is available. For example, if a USN squad fires an HVAR strike while it only has 25% of its ammunition remaining, it only fires 5 rockets instead of 10. It then has to return to base.

If a fighter runs-out of ammunition while firing a rocket attack, it is treated as if it ran-out of ammunition during an air-strafe in the current mechanics: it completes the attack run and then returns to base.

Finally, we are left with the IJN. The IJN, unlike all of the other factions, get a surface-strafe with machine gun fire. Lowest on the pole in terms of damage, the IJN strafe shines for four aspects: ammunition consumption (50% per strafe), Supression Chance, Incapacitation Chance, and Survivability Buff. Unlike all of the other attacks, the IJN surface strafe has a static Incapacitation Chance instead of dealing module damage (rockets function in the same way as bombs do to in terms of incapacitation: they have to hit and penetrate a module to deal damage to it: if they deal enough damage, the module is incapacitated). This is because it would melt the servers if we tried to ballistically-model the thousands of rounds poured from the attacking planes into the surface ship. The Survivability Buff is only there because the IJN planes have to get so much closer to strafe than the USN/RN rockets.

IJN Surface Strafe:

Damage: 135 per strafe (spalling damage)

Incapacitation Chance: (Just like all other % stats, I'm shaky on these, and they are all subject to change.)

• AA Mounts: 65% (-20% for each additional mount incapacitated besides the first)
  • Secondary/Dual Purpose Weapon Mounts: 50% (-20% per additional mount incapacitated besides the first)
  • Steering Gears: 20% (Steering Gears Mod. 1 reduces the chance to 14%)
  • Engine: 15% (Propulsion Mod. 1 reduces the chance to 11%)
  • Main Battery Turrets: 10% - 5% if the number of the turrets on the vessel is <= 4 (Giving you BBs a break-- you need all them turrets) (Main Batteries Mod. 1 reduces the initial chance to 7%)
  • Magazine: 0% - - aircraft bullets could never feasibly penetrate the magazine of a warship, with one notable exception, the Italian TA-27 Auriga.

Suppression Chance: 95% - 30% for each time the target vessel has been suppressed in the last 30 seconds (The IJN gets the best Suppression chance available)

Survivability Buff: Temporary +50% to the fighter's Survivability as long as there is at least one enemy warship in the strafing line.

Fire Chance: 5%

IMPORTANT NOTE: If a Fighter Squad activates a Surface Strafe when it has less than 50% ammunition remaining, it takes the following penalties (X is the percent of ammunition remaining) (Incapacitation stats can never drop below 0%):

• 40%<X<50%: No penalties
  • 30%<X<40%: -5% to all Incapacitation stats, -10% to the Incapacitation of AA/Secondaries, -15% Suppression Chance
  • 20%<X<30%: -10% to all Incapacitation stats, -20% to the Incapacitation of AA/Secondaries, -30% Suppression Chance
  • 10%<X<20%: -15% to all Incapacitation stats, -30% to the Incapacitation of AA/Secondaries, -50% Suppression Chance
  • 0%<X<10%: -20% to all Incapacitation Stats, -50% to the Incapacitatoin of AA/Secondaries, -70% Suppression Chance

So, to summarize:

Rockets/Surface Strafes force carriers to decide between chasing strike aircraft or harassing enemy ships. They are more consistent, but less damaging, than Dive Bombers.

Britain gets the most rockets.

America gets the best rockets.

Japan gets the highest Suppression Chance.

Edited by Carrier_Lexington

What's the possibility of Line Item Commander redistribution ? Kind of a waste to have to redistribute all commander points when you just want to do 1 or 2 lines . 

Hey pigeon what do you think of this idea?

(link in spoiler)

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/122822-new-function-warning-button-for-wows/page__p__2971195#entry2971195

Just an idea, but what about declaring a Wacky Weekend, and throw the matchmaker out the window. Let's see some really interesting things that we all wondered about. 

Who would win an all BB team vs an all DD team?

Who would win 2 tier 6 cruisers vs 10 tier 3 cruisers?

All CV battle
All cruiser battle (low tier... epicenter)
All German ships vs all IJN ships (replace with any nationality as needed).

Hey pigeon what do you think of this idea?

(link in spoiler)

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/122822-new-function-warning-button-for-wows/page__p__2971195#entry2971195

What does it say about this poll when "Bacon" is winning....

I think Clash of Elements is too hard. Maybe throw out 100 or so extra coins as a reward at the end and the special kamikaze R might be obtainable, right now it looks way hard for a T5 dd with a special nice exp boosting camo, just my 2 cents.

Edited by Jakajan

If such a thing were to be implemented, there would need to be a penalty to the ship(s) engaged in assisting others with damage control. The ship conducting the assist would have to match the course and speed of the damaged friendly, exposing itself to attacks. This did happen on numerous occasions, which is why many damaged ships had to fend for themselves until the battle was over.

That sound should be a players choice then. No one is asking them to do so, but there should be this option. It is the same as if the a DD drops a smoke screen for a BB.

edit: thank you spell checker. :facepalm: corrected

Edited by Tpaktop2_1

Though I personally like the idea, the problem would come from people not participating int he event would complain that a Supercontainer was wasted on this item (since it only has one purpose). Not a bad idea for consideration and tweaking, though.
Make it a smaller reward, but from a unique container that you can chose in place of your regular container? 3-5 coins for a container? gives you at most 15 coins a day, a chance to get a super container that would give you 30-50 coins? Wouldn't hurt anyone as if you don't want coins you just keep picking what-ever containers you used to get. And since its a seperate selection you can tweak the supper container chance for that selection to whatever %chance makes sense without messing with the way regular containers work.

Thank you

It's not nearly as game breaking as people think tbh, Bismark is likely to stay on top just because hydro on a BB is awesome, and there really wasn't any reason for the tirpitz not to have the same range given that they're the same guns.

Tirpitz buff is exactly the type of buff I approve of, knocks the ship back in line with the others without making large changes, many of us were already using a manual 2nd captain because that's what the tech tree tends to promote, the extra 3.8km (full fit) is welcomed.

Edited by Sethanas

USS The Sullivans.   Fletcher class destroyer named after five brothers who were killed while serving aboard the cruiser, USS Juneau at the Battle of the Solomon Islands.

Given the number of garbage (IMO) modules being offered in SC right now... they can be sold as an inventory item for a reasonable amount of credits. The same could be done for these other items for a "fair" number of credits perhaps? 

That sound be a players choice then. No one is asking them to do so, but there should be this option. It is the same as if the a DD drops a smoke screen for a BB.

I've always thought of BB play as kinda selfish, although not because BB players are inherently selfish, but the game mechanics don't set-up for unselfish play at all on a BB.

Let's put it this way:

Destroyers have smokescreens, which they can drop to cover nearby ships. Destroyers are good spotters, as they have the smallest detection ranges. Destroyers are also good at threat elimination or area-denial with their torpedoes, forcing enemy ships out-of-position or to turn broadside-on to the big guns, like battleships. The last thing that Destroyers are good at is speed-boost (questionably promoting team-play, but I'll make an allowance), which allows it to reach allies faster and extend the smokescreen farther.

Cruisers have a variety of team-support options:

• Defensive Fire as a defense against (the ever-diminishing population of) CVs (in the few matches that you ever see one nowadays)
  • Radar to gain Line of Sight on targets hiding within smokescreens
  • Hydroacoustic Search to provide advance warning of torpedoes
  • Catapult Fighters to provide a little bit of the same bonuses available with Defensive Fire and Hydroacoustic Search, although not nearly as much as either independently
  • Some Cruisers have Smokescreens which allow them to cover other warships. (Actually, Perth, with it's creeping smokescreen, might actually be the best cruiser for this, as you could conceivably hide a small task force in that thing, all travelling at 1/4th speed, to get close-to and ambush enemy ships around islands)

Carriers, which many regard as selfish (in my view, unfairly), still have many options to support their team.

• Strike Carriers are excellent at (in theory, at least) depositioning enemy forces, as well as dealing large alpha strikes to make big threats manageable, and causing incapacitations/DoT to force targets to expend their Damage Control. While there is often some selfish play associated with this, in-general, Strike Carriers still have an important role in the game ecosystem.
  • Air Superiority Carriers, although not very good at dealing damage, still have team support capabilities in Strike Interception and Spotting. In my view, however, and in the view of many other experienced CV players, this isn't enough to offset the loss of the team-support capabilities that one has when one is dealing damage-to, depositioning, and exposing targets to allied vessels that is inherent with taking an AS configuration.
  • Balanced Carriers are a mixed bag. In some configurations, they combine the best of both worlds; in others, the worst. A Balanced carrier (excluding T5-8 USN because only 3 squads) will typically have some of the damage and depositioning capabilities of a Strike CV and some of the Interception and Spotting Capabilities of Air Superiority Carriers, but will suffer for this drastically in reserves, meaning that mistakes or sheer bad-luck are punished much more heavily in Balanced Carriers than either of the two other options

But Battleships? Let's take a look:

• Self-Repair: Battleship captains can take a module which repairs the Battleship and the Battleship only. Aside from unpredictable and passive tanking, this provides very little use for the rest of the team.
  • Air Defense: While, theoretically, high Air Defense values make Battleships team-support ships, the fact that most of these are based in Short- and Mid-range AA guns means that the radius protected is actually very short.
  • Large Hit-Pools: Again, theoretically, this could provide for tanking options, except when everyone decides not to shoot the Battleship. Those large hit-pools mean nothing in terms of team-support when everyone is focusing the Destroyer.
  • Hydroacoustic Search: Bismark, the T8 German BB, gets Hydroacoustic search, which presumably gives it a redeeming factor and puts it in a similar role to a cruiser. Except that, due to its size and turning, Bismark won't go near smokescreens, which makes it, once again, a self-defense tool. Also, the range on the Bismark's Hydro was recently nerfed, again, making it only suitable for self-defense.
  • Catapult Fighters: Many BBs get catapult fighters, which act the same as they do on cruisers. However, most BBs use this team-defense feature selfishly, or often opt for the Spotting Plane instead
  • Spotting Plane: Increases the Battleship's range, and allows it to spot over islands if close-enough. Useless to the rest of the team.
  • Radar: Only available on one Battleship, the Premium Missouri, Radar is actually a pretty good redeeming feature, as long as the player doesn't take Hydroacoustic Search (for self defense instead of team support). Also, it's only available on the ONE ship that requires 750k Free Experience to get, so this redeeming factor is further mitigated because it's extremely unavailable to most players.

So, while every other class is designed in some way to assist and support the other classes (even Carriers), Battleships are currently not equipped to be a good team-support at all.

Fortunately, as this is a mechanics feature rather than a meta feature, it's easily fixable.

Team-Repair: When a Battleship (or USS Midway, as the first Supercarrier also designed to do this) activates its Damage Repair Party, up to two team-mates within a 4 km range (Derzki torpedo range) also receive half the healing that the battleship does (prioritizing players with low health and then Division mates). So, for example, a player with low health will be prioritized over a Division mate, and a low-health Division mate will be prioritized over low-health players), max healing to half-health for Cruisers and 3/4 health for Destroyers. Also, to encourage the unselfish use of this consumable, if the Battleship does not receive any healing from this, the cooldown is reduced by half (1/4th if using a Premium Consumable to prevent spamming). The Team-Repair consumable is only available to USN Battleships as part of their National Flavour of "Fast Escort Battleships."

Team Damage Control: When a Battleship activates its damage control, all allies within a 2km (USN 3km) range repair up-to one module and remove up-to two Fires or Floodings (prioritizing floodings). Again, if the Battleship does not receive any repair from this, the cooldown is reduced by half (1/4th again for the premium consumable). This consumable is available for Battleships of All Nations.

Draw Fire: A consumable for the Battleships of the Kriegsmarine. When activated, all OTHER ships within a 4km radius become untargetable (although they are still detected). Note that these ships can still be shot-at, but a player must aim manually, as they are unable to press X to lock-onto that target. In addition, all shells and bombs fired at the bubble tend to disperse towards the battleship that is drawing fire, which gains a temporary resistance to fire and flooding as a reward for its service.

Defensive Secondary Fire: Here's one for you IJN Players who miss your fearsome Yamato secondaries ever since the Germans stole that role. When activated, the large-caliber secondary weapons of IJN Battleships coordinate fire with the secondaries of nearby ships and can target ships outside of their normal max range, as long as the target is within the secondary range of a ship that is itself within secondary range of the aforementioned Imperial battleship. The shell dispersion is enhanced, too: only experiencing 50% of the dispersion it would otherwise experience at these increased ranges.

Edited by Carrier_Lexington

In the most recent Q&A with Sub_Octavian, he said that shell velocity is not used as a balance factor.  So why, do the Hood and Warspite both get incorrect, lower velocities?  They should be 752 m/s with standard charges, not the 732 m/s that we currently have in game.  Is this a typo in the DB that needs to be fixed?

I've always thought of BB play as kinda selfish, although not because BB players are inherently selfish, but the game mechanics don't set-up for unselfish play at all on a BB.

Let's put it this way:

Destroyers have smokescreens, which they can drop to cover nearby ships. Destroyers are good spotters, as they have the smallest detection ranges. Destroyers are also good at threat elimination or area-denial with their torpedoes, forcing enemy ships out-of-position or to turn broadside-on to the big guns, like battleships. The last thing that Destroyers are good at is speed-boost (questionably promoting team-play, but I'll make an allowance), which allows it to reach allies faster and extend the smokescreen farther.

Cruisers have a variety of team-support options:

• Defensive Fire as a defense against (the ever-diminishing population of) CVs (in the few matches that you ever see one nowadays)
  • Radar to gain Line of Sight on targets hiding within smokescreens
  • Hydroacoustic Search to provide advance warning of torpedoes
  • Catapult Fighters to provide a little bit of the same bonuses available with Defensive Fire and Hydroacoustic Search, although not nearly as much as either independently
  • Some Cruisers have Smokescreens which allow them to cover other warships. (Actually, Perth, with it's creeping smokescreen, might actually be the best cruiser for this, as you could conceivably hide a small task force in that thing, all travelling at 1/4th speed, to get close-to and ambush enemy ships around islands)

Carriers, which many regard as selfish (in my view, unfairly), still have many options to support their team.

• Strike Carriers are excellent at (in theory, at least) depositioning enemy forces, as well as dealing large alpha strikes to make big threats manageable, and causing incapacitations/DoT to force targets to expend their Damage Control. While there is often some selfish play associated with this, in-general, Strike Carriers still have an important role in the game ecosystem.
  • Air Superiority Carriers, although not very good at dealing damage, still have team support capabilities in Strike Interception and Spotting. In my view, however, and in the view of many other experienced CV players, this isn't enough to offset the loss of the team-support capabilities that one has when one is dealing damage-to, depositioning, and exposing targets to allied vessels that is inherent with taking an AS configuration.
  • Balanced Carriers are a mixed bag. In some configurations, they combine the best of both worlds; in others, the worst. A Balanced carrier (excluding T5-8 USN because only 3 squads) will typically have some of the damage and depositioning capabilities of a Strike CV and some of the Interception and Spotting Capabilities of Air Superiority Carriers, but will suffer for this drastically in reserves, meaning that mistakes or sheer bad-luck are punished much more heavily in Balanced Carriers than either of the two other options

But Battleships? Let's take a look:

• Self-Repair: Battleship captains can take a module which repairs the Battleship and the Battleship only. Aside from unpredictable and passive tanking, this provides very little use for the rest of the team.
  • Air Defense: While, theoretically, high Air Defense values make Battleships team-support ships, the fact that most of these are based in Short- and Mid-range AA guns means that the radius protected is actually very short.
  • Large Hit-Pools: Again, theoretically, this could provide for tanking options, except when everyone decides not to shoot the Battleship. Those large hit-pools mean nothing in terms of team-support when everyone is focusing the Destroyer.
  • Hydroacoustic Search: Bismark, the T8 German BB, gets Hydroacoustic search, which presumably gives it a redeeming factor and puts it in a similar role to a cruiser. Except that, due to its size and turning, Bismark won't go near smokescreens, which makes it, once again, a self-defense tool. Also, the range on the Bismark's Hydro was recently nerfed, again, making it only suitable for self-defense.
  • Catapult Fighters: Many BBs get catapult fighters, which act the same as they do on cruisers. However, most BBs use this team-defense feature selfishly, or often opt for the Spotting Plane instead
  • Spotting Plane: Increases the Battleship's range, and allows it to spot over islands if close-enough. Useless to the rest of the team.
  • Radar: Only available on one Battleship, the Premium Missouri, Radar is actually a pretty good redeeming feature, as long as the player doesn't take Hydroacoustic Search (for self defense instead of team support). Also, it's only available on the ONE ship that requires 750k Free Experience to get, so this redeeming factor is further mitigated because it's extremely unavailable to most players.

So, while every other class is designed in some way to assist and support the other classes (even Carriers), Battleships are currently not equipped to be a good team-support at all.

Fortunately, as this is a mechanics feature rather than a meta feature, it's easily fixable.

Team-Repair: When a Battleship (or USS Midway, as the first Supercarrier also designed to do this) activates its Damage Repair Party, up to two team-mates within a 4 km range (Derzki torpedo range) also receive half the healing that the battleship does (prioritizing players with low health and then Division mates). So, for example, a player with low health will be prioritized over a Division mate, and a low-health Division mate will be prioritized over low-health players), max healing to half-health for Cruisers and 3/4 health for Destroyers. Also, to encourage the unselfish use of this consumable, if the Battleship does not receive any healing from this, the cooldown is reduced by half (1/4th if using a Premium Consumable to prevent spamming). The Team-Repair consumable is only available to USN Battleships as part of their National Flavour of "Fast Escort Battleships."

Team Damage Control: When a Battleship activates its damage control, all allies within a 2km (USN 3km) range repair up-to one module and remove up-to two Fires or Floodings (prioritizing floodings). Again, if the Battleship does not receive any repair from this, the cooldown is reduced by half (1/4th again for the premium consumable). This consumable is available for Battleships of All Nations.

Draw Fire: A consumable for the Battleships of the Kriegsmarine. When activated, all OTHER ships within a 4km radius become untargetable (although they are still detected). Note that these ships can still be shot-at, but a player must aim manually, as they are unable to press X to lock-onto that target. In addition, all shells and bombs fired at the bubble tend to disperse towards the battleship that is drawing fire, which gains a temporary resistance to fire and flooding as a reward for its service.

Defensive Secondary Fire: Here's one for you IJN Players who miss your fearsome Yamato secondaries ever since the Germans stole that role. When activated, the large-caliber secondary weapons of IJN Battleships coordinate fire with the secondaries of nearby ships and can target ships outside of their normal max range, as long as the target is within the secondary range of a ship that is itself within secondary range of the aforementioned Imperial battleship. The shell dispersion is enhanced, too: only experiencing 50% of the dispersion it would otherwise experience at these increased ranges.

All good points. My point was to have WoWS developers to look at these ideas in creating better teamwork in supporting their team mates and if these points are feasible in programming. It doesn't hurt to ask the question.