Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sovek1944

4th level skill for NM/NC/Iowa ships

10 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
87 posts
1,080 battles

Coming up on my fourth level skill for my commander in my American BBs, and I cant decide between Advanced Firing Training or Manual Fire Control.

On the one hand the AFT gives you somewhat better AA and increased range of your secondaries, while the MFC does 100% more DPS against manually targeted squadrons, which makes it that much harder for torpedo and dive bombers to launch a succesful attack.

Beta Testers
428 posts
1,613 battles
Advanced Firing Training. Having further reach with your AA and Secondary batteries is a big plus, moreso than just an AA buff I think. Also keep in mind the Manual AA skill only affects AA guns bigger than 85mm.
Edited by Darksamus224

[NDA]
Beta Testers
5,251 posts
8,893 battles

AFT then you get Manual AA.  

• Cool 1

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

MFC is functionally useless on anything except Atlanta.  While it does give a hefty boost to the DPS of your 127mm DP guns, your 40mm Bofors will be putting out the lion's share of your AA damage for most high-tier American warships.

And even then, AFT is a better investment of skill points, even for Atlanta.

Edited by TenguBlade

[NDA]
Beta Testers
5,251 posts
8,893 battles

MFC is functionally useless on anything except Atlanta.  While it does give a hefty boost to the DPS of your 127mm DP guns, your 40mm Bofors will be putting out the lion's share of your AA damage for most high-tier American warships.

And even then, AFT is a better investment of skill points, even for Atlanta.

.-.

you get it after AFT and it is not useless at all. 

[HDM]
Members
388 posts
15,599 battles

I'll throw one in the pot for MFC being worthless, you get +100% damage to one flight of fighters and -100% to all other groups of fighters in range. Without it, selecting a flight of planes gives you +30% while the rest are still being AA'd at 100%. 

I don't even get a tier 5 skill on USN BB's 

[-KIA-]
Banned
9,382 posts
28,311 battles

MFC is not worth it on any American battleship.  Your 40mm mounts will always be most of your AA damage (especially Colorado and above), even as the 5" guns get better.

[TO07]
Members
88 posts
9,929 battles

just my opinion, I prefer AFT and using the next 5 points for the manual secondary control.  Its great for shredding DD's that get in close for that torp run, starting fires on cruisers and bbs, and just generally cool to watch every gun on the ship being fired.  The AA on the higher tier BB's seems to be strong enough and as long as you have friendly ships nearby to help with AA, you should be ok.  Not to mention CV's are rare in high tier games anyways.

Edited by dabigD_1055

Members
1,112 posts
1,111 battles

Secondaries are getting a significant buff in range for US BBs in 5.7 so perhaps going for the manual secondary perk might be worth it.

Sign in to follow this