You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Vihkter

Commander Skills for USN BB's for Newbies or...

4 comments in this topic

[DBPS]
Members
210 posts
7,929 battles

I frequently find myself looking for BB info such as what's best and what's not. Lots of info and videos out there. Recently I acquired the New Mexico (like last week). Have read a lot about it. Seen several videos as well.  Some people complain about it. Others seem happy with it. Me personally, I am very happy with it and having fun. Funny thing is, if you see my other BB stats, I am well below average in BB play. Not with the NM so far. By my second game in it I had my second highest overall damage count (90K+) and even one-salvoed a Furrytaco. BAM! 27K+ in damage. That guy went down within his first 30-45 seconds of game time. I was happy! Felt good to “give back” that which had been so lovingly given to me previously.

This change in me only happened because after my first game (a 52K+ damage game) and reading all the forums I could on it and watching several videos, I have been able to adapt my gameplay a bit in order to slowly get better results with my BB. The obvious place to start off my improvement quest was with the ship upgrades and commander skills. Very briefly... upgrade as you feel best and as quickly as you can. Gauge what ship upgrade you NEED first versus what you want. Read before you choose. Not all upgrade hint pop-up windows have all the information. But, it may help to better understand what upgrades to get if we understand what commander skills will be of most use first. Below I have re-written some information I found on the European forums. The following information on BB commander skills was extracted/adapted from the European forums HERE - Post #3. Credit to its author: dumbo11

Following are the different USN BB commader skills. Not sure if these are the same for IJN BB's since I have not played IJN BB's yet. I will assume that since IJN BB's are somewhat different than USN BB's there may be some different considerations to keep in mind. THIS IS TOTALLY SUBJECTIVE AND NOT MEANT TO BE THE FINAL, MUCH LESS DEFINITIVE, RULE ON THIS TOPIC. Basically, to each his/her own (a/k/a YMMV). I just happen to agree with the European posters assessment of the skills and their importance. His post lacked some of the newer skills so I added them here with my own comments.

Remember, the best thing of all of this is... you can switch things up depending on how you play YOUR BB. This is meant as a guide for newbies (like me!) or those who are simply at a loss as to what skills to select - meaning, I re-post this here to help others enjoy their game better. It helped me and I am seeing decent results in comparison as to how I played BB's previously. NOW... I am having fun with a better understanding of the skills. My stats have been slowly improving. 

Keep in mind I'm no expert or guru. Comments are welcome and depending on the content of your comment, I may make changes to the comments (not recommendations) below with due credit obviously given to the person who made them. In essence, I don’t mind this being a “community” guide if we can call it that. If this includes inaccurate information or typo’s on my part PLEASE LET ME KNOW. - Thanks in advance.

Legend: "+" = good choice or "-" = useless, ["Skill Name"], Comments

Tier 1 Skills

- [Expert Loader] Useless in all situations (requires all guns to be loaded, in which case just fire them and then switch ammo immediately).

+ [Basic Firing Training] Boosts AA range and secondary reload.

+ [Basics of Survivability] If your current gameplay involves leaving fires/flooding run out on their own, this can be helpful.

- [Situational Awareness] "You're spotted!" - You are a BIG BB and always spotted from far away. People initially just tend to avoid your big guns. - My 2₵.

- [Expert Rear Gunner] Useless for OBVIOUS reasons...

*** Personally, out of secondary and/or AA, you can argue for their usefulness. Me? I personally try to avoid enemy ships getting close to me so secondary’s are used much less. But, AA is always useful - even if you only shoot down one plane a game. Basic Firing Training is my preferred choice here.

Tier 2 Skills

+ [Expert Marksman] Turrets rotation is a huge, massive deal. If no other T2 skill convinces you, this is your best choice.

- [Torpedo Armament Expertise] Useless for OBVIOUS reasons...

+ [Fire Prevention] It does something, but it may do an insignificant amount of it.

+ [Incoming Fire Alert] You're in a BB, knowing this isn't all that helpful.

- [Last Stand] Personally, never had my propulsion or steering knocked out… yet.

*** Expert Marksman is the clear winner here. A BB is an armored, floating, slow moving gun platform. Whatever helps your guns, makes you a better weapons system.

Tier 3 Skills

- [Torpedo Acceleration] Useless for OBVIOUS reasons...

+ [High Alert] Somehow (I don’t know the mechanics behind this) improves the heal ability. Very recommended.

+ [Vigilance] Spot torpedoes from further away.  Most "torpedoes of interest" are usually dropped by TB's from < 1 km away, this makes little or no difference.

- [Dogfighting Expert] Technically does something if you have a catapult fighter (don't know if any BB's do). Basically worthless IMO.

+ [Superintendent] Gives 1 more heal ability. In practice it's uncommon to run out anyway (this may be more useful if you get High Alert AND Jack of All Trades).

*** High alert is the easy winner.

Tier 4 Skills

+ [Demolition Expert] Does something, but fire isn't really a BB trait. If pyromania is in your blood, by all means, take this one. I saw a player use ONLY HE his whole battle… and he logged 7 or 8 Citadel hits in that battle alone. I believe it was in a Colorado if I am not mistaken.

+ [Advanced Firing Training] Improves secondary and AA range. If you seek to better defend yourself from planes, go for it.

+ [Survivability Expert] Should be useful if you're a "charge in" kind of player. Personally, this could help you last a few seconds more if on fire or flooding or maybe take a couple more hits.

- [Aircraft Servicing] Useless for OBVIOUS reasons...

- [Manual Fire Control for AA Armament] I have not used this but with all that goes on around me in battle, I'd have little time for this. No points for downing aircraft, right? So… I’ll stick to the ctrl-click prioritizing method so I can continue to fight other ships.

*** Advanced Firing Training seems the most practical. Demo Expert isn't a terrible idea if you use HE. Survivability if you need those few extra precious seconds in a battle.

Tier 5 Skills

+ [Last Chance] Doing something at 10% health isn't the best idea and kinda late. Trust me, by this time you are of every red ship’s interest if at 10% HP!

+ [Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament] In a BB I try to be rarely face an enemy at close range. If I do, it’s with the intent of ramming them. But, when I do, he/she is usually alone anyways so the secondary batteries will be firing at them anyhow IMO. YMMV.

+ [Preventative Maintenance] Stopping module damage isn't a terrible idea, BUT, module damage is ironically rarely a problem for BB's.

+ [Concealment Expert] In practice you're still spotted at long (> 10 km) range. Nothing stealthy about a BB.

- [Air Supremacy] Useless for OBVIOUS reasons...

+ [Jack of All Trades] Faster heal refresh.

*** Jack of All Trades. Faster heals/repairs are always a good thing.

Members
2,054 posts
2,359 battles

For my USN BBs (Only bothered to grind to the NM but I have a high level captain on it)

Tier 1: Basics of Survivability, Basic Fire Training, Situational Awareness

Tier 2: Expert Marksman

Tier 3: Vigilance (I find it more useful than one more Heal)

Tier 4: Advanced Firing Training

I don't plan on getting a tier 5 skill for my USN BBs. None seems appealing to me. I think this is the most ideal build for USN BBs. Good job though!

One thing, I think High Alert improves repair, not the heal consumable. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Camping4XP

Members
897 posts
7,381 battles

This is my take, obviously play styles will effect things but this is how I see them. Blue comments below with yours

Tier 1 Skills

- [Expert Loader] Useless in all situations (requires all guns to be loaded, in which case just fire them and then switch ammo immediately).

It is not useless as there has been a few times 15 seconds difference from firing HE over AP at a DD charging would matter, but taken as a whole there is to many much better skills to make this worth it.

+ [Basic Firing Training] Boosts AA range and secondary reload.

+ [Basics of Survivability] If your current gameplay involves leaving fires/flooding run out on their own, this can be helpful.

It is worth picking up but not until your 3rd tier 1 skill IMHO. Running with a prem repair makes this less useful and it is worth the 22k credits to run one.

- [Situational Awareness] "You're spotted!" - You are a BIG BB and always spotted from far away. People initially just tend to avoid your big guns. - My 2₵.

I couldn't disagree more, the biggest danger to BB's is giving broadsides to other BB's, CV attacks and DD's stalking you. This helps you with two of these. You get SA and if your detection is not on then you know it is safe to turn your broadside to those enemy BB's which at times is critical, and when you have withdrawn from the front or you killed the last enemy on your flank and you are pushing onto the next battle and your SA goes off you know a DD is stalking you and you start taking major evasive action to keep from being torped and call in for help as their is a DD in the area.

- [Expert Rear Gunner] Useless for OBVIOUS reasons...

*** Personally, out of secondary and/or AA, you can argue for their usefulness. Me? I personally try to avoid enemy ships getting close to me so secondary’s are used much less. But, AA is always useful - even if you only shoot down one plane a game. Basic Firing Training is my preferred choice here.

Tier 2 Skills

+ [Expert Marksman] Turrets rotation is a huge, massive deal. If no other T2 skill convinces you, this is your best choice.

IMHO the only tier 2 skill worth taking for a BB.

- [Torpedo Armament Expertise] Useless for OBVIOUS reasons...

+ [Fire Prevention] It does something, but it may do an insignificant amount of it.

+ [Incoming Fire Alert] You're in a BB, knowing this isn't all that helpful.

- [Last Stand] Personally, never had my propulsion or steering knocked out… yet.

*** Expert Marksman is the clear winner here. A BB is an armored, floating, slow moving gun platform. Whatever helps your guns, makes you a better weapons system.

Tier 3 Skills

- [Torpedo Acceleration] Useless for OBVIOUS reasons...

+ [High Alert] Somehow (I don’t know the mechanics behind this) improves the heal ability. Very recommended.

It is the repair not the heal, it lowers the cool down. If you run with a premium repair and you should this is a ok skill but to many better ones to make it worth it.

+ [Vigilance] Spot torpedoes from further away.  Most "torpedoes of interest" are usually dropped by TB's from < 1 km away, this makes little or no difference.

Taking, just take it. Having that bit of extra time to react can be the difference between only taking 1 or 2 torps from a good DD launch on you and eating 4-5 and sinking to the bottom of the sea.

- [Dogfighting Expert] Technically does something if you have a catapult fighter (don't know if any BB's do). Basically worthless IMO.

+ [Superintendent] Gives 1 more heal ability. In practice it's uncommon to run out anyway (this may be more useful if you get High Alert AND Jack of All Trades).

Second best tier 3 skill but since you can take a premium heal ability for 22k credits, it is less useful than Vig IMHO.

*** High alert is the easy winner.

Tier 4 Skills

+ [Demolition Expert] Does something, but fire isn't really a BB trait. If pyromania is in your blood, by all means, take this one. I saw a player use ONLY HE his whole battle… and he logged 7 or 8 Citadel hits in that battle alone. I believe it was in a Colorado if I am not mistaken.

While there is times to use HE in a BB, you mostly use AP and with the high fire chance BB's have a extra 3% is a waste.

+ [Advanced Firing Training] Improves secondary and AA range. If you seek to better defend yourself from planes, go for it.

What I consider the best skill for BB's at the tier but I understand the arguments for Manual fire AA but I think this one is better.

+ [Survivability Expert] Should be useful if you're a "charge in" kind of player. Personally, this could help you last a few seconds more if on fire or flooding or maybe take a couple more hits.

Not worth it on a BB, because it is set by tier. So even at tier 10 it is only 4k health which on a BB is worth one AP worth of damage from another BB. at the higher tiers it adds like 4% to your health, just not worth it IMHO.

- [Aircraft Servicing] Useless for OBVIOUS reasons...

- [Manual Fire Control for AA Armament] I have not used this but with all that goes on around me in battle, I'd have little time for this. No points for downing aircraft, right? So… I’ll stick to the ctrl-click prioritizing method so I can continue to fight other ships.

You have time between shots to use it and on some ships it makes a big difference but I find AFT more useful more often.

*** Advanced Firing Training seems the most practical. Demo Expert isn't a terrible idea if you use HE. Survivability if you need those few extra precious seconds in a battle.

Tier 5 Skills

+ [Last Chance] Doing something at 10% health isn't the best idea and kinda late. Trust me, by this time you are of every red ship’s interest if at 10% HP!

+ [Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament] In a BB I try to be rarely face an enemy at close range. If I do, it’s with the intent of ramming them. But, when I do, he/she is usually alone anyways so the secondary batteries will be firing at them anyhow IMO. YMMV.

+ [Preventative Maintenance] Stopping module damage isn't a terrible idea, BUT, module damage is ironically rarely a problem for BB's.

+ [Concealment Expert] In practice you're still spotted at long (> 10 km) range. Nothing stealthy about a BB.

Personally what I consider the best skill, on the NC you can get your detection down to about 12km. The best thing is surprising ships that have no clue you are there. A enemy BB or cruisers turns and gives you a broadside with you sitting 13-15km away. You will just wreck them as they won't have time to react to your first shot in time even if the see you right after you fire, since they are likely focused on something they can already see. Plus it lets you drop off detection by stopping firing when you are getting focused fired down and use your heal ability to get some health back before firing again.

- [Air Supremacy] Useless for OBVIOUS reasons...

+ [Jack of All Trades] Faster heal refresh.

*** Jack of All Trades. Faster heals/repairs are always a good thing.

[DNGR]
Members
491 posts
20,065 battles

On the first round I do...

T1. Basic Firing Training.

T2. Expert Marksman.

T3. Superintendent.

T4. Advanced Firing Training.

This is now a 10 point captain, you can have a max of 18-19 points. On the second round I do...

T1. Basics of Survivability.

T3. Vigilance.

T4. Manual Fire Control for AA Armament.

This is now an 18 point captain...